Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

They'll all be replaced with Dante for the Western release.

Featuring Dante from the DmC:Devil May Cry™ series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

The game is so tight-fisted with macca that you pretty much have to know exactly what, how, and when to fuse, in order to win. You can't experiment like in most games, which is a terrible design decision.

My only general tip is that the game is called Shin Megami Tensei, and for once they actually mean it. Megami and Diety classes are pretty much the best, along with Tyrant. Pendragons can carry physical teams into the mid-late game because they hit like a tractor trailer. In the late game, Phys attackers must have Pierce or they will be useless (this is why your MC should be magic, because Atsuro is a phys attacker and is required in a lot of maps). Magic teams should try to have a Tyrant for MP recovery and a Diety for overclocking your magic attacks. MC should beeline to 40 Magic, with a slight detour into Agility to get Holy Dance and Stamina for Resist Most.

I never really had any Macca troubles in Overclocked. Though I did replay Free Battles just so I could Crack every skill available at any given time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's also Calorie-Mate and Doritos in Metal Gear, though the latter was JP only if I recall correctly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is this for-reals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dnW8QJxHD0

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Excels posted:

some people believe that using japanese suffixes in english is like "stealing" their culture. people think this about many other things as well

it's pretty silly

Yeah but nobody in this thread said anything like that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMTIV's way of accessing neutral is really dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Isn't it actually possible to be too neutral to get put on the neutral route?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Unrelated, but still mechanics talk, I've been thinking that one thing I'd like to see more games try is something like IMAGINE had, where somehow or another it makes it harder to summon demons that aren't of your alignment, with a sort of curve like IMAGINE had. Extremely Law demons are more costly for both Neutral and Chaos (though waaaay harder for Chaos) players to summon, but that lessens as they get closer to Neutral on the chart.

I just found it kind of fun, since I played very, very Law in IMAGINE, and it led to some situations where I had to decide between summoning a really good but costly demon when I ended up with a Chaos one for whatever reason, or saving on the costs by summoning something not quite as great, but closer to my alignment.

Soul Hackers has something kind of like that in regards to which demons you can have in your active party, though I don't think it was too restrictive. I think it was just if you were going to summon a demon with an Extreme alignment, all the other demons had to also be of that alignment to some degree.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I like it, but it's very much a PS1/Saturn game, so the menus are a bit clunky and there are some mechanics that have been eliminated since like magnetite to have demons in your party, which is consumed every step you take with demons summed (though you don't need a full party most of the time since Nemissa is a really powerful magic character and magnetite isn't scarce, you'll probably trade most of it for cash), fusion isn't as in depth (no shuffling or skill selection, when you select two demons what you get is what you get), demons don't level up, and there's a loyalty system where demons won't listen to your commands at first (though this is solved by giving them drinks or just letting them do their thing for few battles, and loyalty carries over to fused demons).

Has a bunch of funny negotiation dialogue though, and you can do stuff like instantly get out of a battle that involves a certain demon by talking to them while another one of them is in your party. I've also encountered a few cases where I had a conversation with a demon that ended battle, got into another battle with that kind of demon, talked to them, and the demon recognized me and either ended battle again or wanted to join me this time.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 22, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SMTxFE looks silly but I never knew how the alternative of "Crowd of Kind Blue Haired Guys X Silent Protagonists" would have worked at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

the trailer didn't promise that at all. it was literally just FE and SMT characters floating in a void. It could have just as easily been a 'this is the history of these franchises' thing. The crossover promise existed only in your head.

Yeah, if they had had a direct crossover concept solidified back then, they would've at least had art of Flynn and Chrom crossing swords or something.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 2, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Francis posted:

people keep saying this. I don't get it.

things I don't remember seeing in the highly-regarded Persona 5 trailer:

-idols
-jpop
-teenage girls in their underwear
-rocket pegasi

in before the obligatory 'yeah this looks much better than persona' shitpost

Honestly now yeah I am thinking p5 is lacking in rocket pegasi.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Okay, guys, I have an honest question.

What does anime mean?

Japanese game I don't like.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ruggington posted:

Anime mean blood

fixed

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I hadn't played any of the Megami Tensei games and when I heard about this I thought it might be a neat way to get into the series.

Now I don't know what the gently caress.

You likely have other options on some plaform you own.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

remove jpop and all of this applies to most american pop culture

also nerd poo poo in general.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

StopHangingDjs posted:

. There were tits in Halo? There was a plot in Halo?

Google "halo 4 cortana".

Edit: ^^ did the work for you

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

What is the point of going all 'ew anime" in an anime thread, do go you "ew doggies" in a dog thread

no, because only lovely people don't like doggies

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

you should read the vita thread

I do despite not having a vita.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Srice posted:

Jojo fans have become the equivalent of Dark Souls fans.

what does this mean

e: JoJo was pretty fun but not as fun as fans were always saying it was before the anime happened

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

epitasis posted:

I watched welcome to the nhk on netflix and it was pretty good. All the other animes i've tried (had playing in the background while playing binding of isaac) have been real bad

watch megas xlr, it's a pretty good anime

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I have faith in atlus that Hashtag Fire Emblem will be good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Man, that trailer was a really loud nothing. I'm... cautiously optimistic, I guess? I just really want it to be a good game, anime-overload or not. Also, the symbol appears to be a musical notation, so maybe music plays an important part? Are they going to try to capitalize on the Dancing All Night thing, perhaps?

There's a lot of posters of idols around the town, I think I spotted a popularity chart on a screen in a mall, and the battles took place in a stadium, with an audience shaking glowsticks and all. So I think the setting might be something like a mishmash of all the P4 scenarios, with teenagers going to another world linked to ours to do battle in the guise of FE classes in a music stadium that may or may not be viewed by the populace.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

epitasis posted:

whats fate/

a really long erotic fantasy anime book

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

no they ~recharge their mana~

with their dicks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mollusks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/EdIjE0w.jpg:nws:
\/probably

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the only other funny ones I could glancing at google were graphic instead of a single line

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

Most VN's are I believe

There are VNs without weird sex stuff, like Steins;Gate and any that get published on consoles/handhelds.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I like the idea of VN's but am entirely put off by how long they supposedly take to read all the way through. I find it hard enough to commit to playing through the long-rear end SMT games, much less a book of that length.

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3416

I liked the Zero Escape games, but yeah, it's a lot of time to devote to unfiltered anime writing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Out of curiosity what did people actually expect from SMTxFE?

I don't really know. I was initially expecting it to be a straight crossover title, but I had no idea how that would work in terms of gameplay without leaning heavily towards the style of one series, not to mention how character writing would've worked out since SMT protags are player-defined and otherwise silent, and a lot of FE characters tend to fit into a certain set of roles.

e: Though speaking of gameplay I'm curious about what they're doing with #FE. It's still a collaborative project, so the gameplay should incorporate some elements from each series. It appears to be a turn-based combat system like most MegaTen games, and there was some kind of combo score, so there might be some variation on "hit weakness/crit, get reward" as in Press Turn/One More/Extra Turns etc,. Each of the protagonists are associated with some FE class, and I'm guessing that character progression will be at least somewhat modeled on that of Fire Emblem, with characters either being able to reclass as in 13, or just promoting at a certain level/plot point, possibly with branching class trees. They might also throw in FE's chance-based level-ups and skills.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's an Atlus 3DS game, so it'll go on sale for $20-30 digitally before the end of the year.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This is like Danger 5 taken seriously.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Most JRPGs don't let you speak to most of the NPCs these days anyway, might as well be stylish about indicating it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Chexoid posted:

First: Here's the P4D trailer with English VO. Also, oddly enough the only game this year without Laura Bailey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Lw4683vkM

Second: How much do you think the Teddie suit person wants to kill themselves by now.

https://vine.co/v/ee0tTYaVxXb

Less than the one that got publically molested.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The main thing that concerned me was the sparseness of enemies in the field and their weakness in battle, but I'll assume that was for the sake of demoing the game. I heard the FE Fates demo had an overlevelled MC for that purpose.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wonder what the "Switch" command does. It was greyed out, so I don't think it could involve switching turns with your active battle party, so I suppose it's either for switching Firesonas if that's a thing you can do, or switching out for another party member.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm glad of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/MNjnBnb.jpg