Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I started SMT IV last night and am getting my rear end beat by the Wendigo mob. I think I hosed up because I saved right before the battle and I’m down multiple demons and can’t get to a heal without gettin poisongassed to death and/or getting killed by random encounters, what’s my best option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Paying Charon puts me exactly where I’m saved, it doesn’t keep me from getting killed in one shot right before I finish the battle.

Booky posted:

shoot them with a gun

this was the correct answer. that and dropping the difficulty

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I liked SMTV a lot and think more RPGs should aspire to be more like Banjo-Kazooie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Couple hours in to Soul Hackers and my first thought is that Ringo’s jacket is incredibly dope and I hope some enterprising cosplayer makes a real one

edit: also very funny that Ringo has the same voice as Sophia from Strikers, apparently that VA just sounds like an AI

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 26, 2022

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

DrManiac posted:

So, is soul hackers 2 actually good? I can tolerate a slightly scuffed battle system if the story is good.

I’m about 6 hours in and like the story so far. I think there’s a definite difference in tone from Persona because it feels more written towards/about adults and it’s much more comic book-y than SMT, but so far it hasn’t felt incredibly stupid at any point (the first boss Devil Summoner threatened to go over that waterfall but it never got fully dumb). The character dynamics are nice too, none of the leads are obnoxious or dumb, everyone is already competent so you don’t feel like you’re drowning in having to learn what demon summoning is.

The battle system is definitely a change for the simpler. I haven’t met any real challenges so far and I haven’t been using any guides or anything, it’s not an SMT where you’ll get painted across a wall with one bad field encounter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gay marriage is next on the list of “rights the Supreme Court are itching to take away” now that they took care of Roe v Wade so the homophobes are pushing full force against people being ok with the gays. We’re back to “gays are going to corrupt the youths if they’re allowed to teach”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Persona 5 Strikers has the best plot because it’s not too long and since the calendar stuff is simplified it isn’t horribly paced

Also you don’t have to sit through everyone getting to know each other it’s just a full group dynamic from go

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

I am just sad Violet didn't get into Strikers

I think it’s funny that her and Sophia have similar designs despite the games being made at the same time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s like if you were in a foreign country and walked into a restaurant and it was very clearly just McDonalds but with everything named slightly different and clearly inferior (“Welcome to MacDoonals, home of the Large MacSando and MacChucks o’ Chicken!”), but then you look up who owns it later and it’s just McDonalds????

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

TriffTshngo posted:

I finished Soul Hackers 2 the other day, figured I'd share some thoughts. As a preface, I'm not really much of an SMT person; dabbled in a few like Digital Devil Saga and Devil Survivor but never got super deep in them, only finished Personas 3 and 5 (got to the end of 4 but didn't quite finish). I got the game kind of on a whim after Booky posted a lineup of all the SMT protags in a discord server and my eye was instantly drawn to Ringo, and looking up a couple of videos my first thought was "the vibes here are powerful.

The short version of my feelings on the game: It's the most "subjective 10/10 that's actually an objective 7.5/10" game I've ever played.

Slightly longer version: The progression of the main plot is a bit basic and predictable in spots, but I was smitten by the characters' designs, writing, and voice acting. They made for such a wonderful quintet. All their interactions in the side content at the Bar or eating meals at the Hideout, or even the short little convos you see upon gaining new Summoner Skills in the Soul Matrix have tons of character in them, and in particular I very much enjoyed the combat barks being reactive, with lines from one of them being responded to appropriately by someone else, and not just generic encouragement/dismay phrases. Not many games add those kinds of small touches.

But of course the elephant in the room is probably why they felt the need to do small stuff like that, which is that this is not a particularly big, high-budget, or huge tentpole release. Very much a modest C-Team project, it shows in some places I saw a lot of reviews/videos made around release citing as their big problem, the map design. The Soul Matrix is 16 gigantic floors of identical (admittedly nice looking) blue cybervoid aesthetics, and the puzzles on the later floors can be pretty tedious and annoying to interact with. The main plot areas aren't exactly brimming with amazing level design, either.

Still, for my money, there was enough other cool stuff about this game that for the most part all of that didn't bother me, or I could look past it. I don't know what the SMT fans' temperature on it is; I know the more general video game space sort of regarded it as a lesser-than sibling to both mainline SMT and Persona. Though, a lot of those reviews point out stuff like no ability to skip cutscenes or Ringo's slow walk speed, among other things, several of which got fixed in patches later, so I never experienced any of those issues. And I know the reddit and youtube comment types who do poo poo like complain about localization when they know gently caress all about the process all hated the game, but their opinions are worthless anyway.

I really jived with it and I hope it did well enough that they build on the foundation and improve stuff for a potential Soul Hackers 3. The vibes were immaculate. I need another game with vibes this strong.

If you’ve finished persona 5 in the past and are looking for a game with spectacular vibes I highly recommend Persona 5 Strikers, a fun road trip game/tourism campaign for Japan in the summer

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Previews are out

https://youtu.be/oodtMW8Qo4I?si=vOmjjU2VWPF2RiYd

This gives a little more context to how much the new girl is weaved into the story and when the new branching path starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://x.com/mbkksstbhz5/status/1789863305198117273?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This is funny, they’re straight up removing SMTV from the eShop once Vengeance comes out. They’ve never done that before have they? Like Persona 5 was still readily available after Royal released (and was even a part of those free games early PS5 buyers got access to) but for this they’re like “oh no we don’t want anyone accidentally playing the old bad one”