Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Finally started on Nocturne. Died at the tutorial battle cause Kodamas got Crit->Double Zan. Next attempt Preta gets a crit and deals my exact HP.

Skill issue

It is pretty funny that the tutorial battles are the most threatening part of the first area. As a serious recommendation, I’d put your first 10 level ups into VI so you have enough HP to handle fights with awful starts. Nocturne uses linear scaling for damage bonuses from level ups, so the Demi Fiend always hits things harder as he levels regardless of what you put your points into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I have had close calls in the tutorial fights, but surprisingly I’ve never lost them in all the times I’ve played Nocturne. (I’ve beaten Hard mode 5 or 6 times) Losing a random bonus is always the worst, I once got gifted an Incense from a demon and got hit with Lullaby-Eternal Sleep right in front of a Terminal door.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

On a more serious note, given Amala apparently has doors locked behind Demi-Fiend aligment, is it much a bother if I leave off mastering Magatama with meh final skills so it's easier to manipulate later? Mostly cause I know I'm also gonna have decision paralysis on skills besides Tornado/Magma Axis/Boosts.

The alignment doors only lead to Shady Brokers with special custom demons, and they aren’t the most notable ones in the game. I’d just recommend looking those up and deciding if it’s worth your time to set up for that.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do think there are extra deathstones, but there’s enough in the game without those doors to fuse every fiend anyway. Any door that has a stat check, including Alignment, checks it every time you go to use it. Unfortunately, this means you can lock yourself out of the alignment rooms even if you qualified previously, so make sure you have the money you need if you do check them out.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

oh wait now my brain is going "NG+ is just and extra press turn and you're playing on hard already, just go TDE first playthrough and thus go Physical". i hate that voice that eventually makes me go play the same game again or something

I always go with more magic focused builds when I play the game, and I still pick up Focus 100% of the time. Even just launching Focused punches is some of the best damage in the game regardless of your stat distribution.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Shout outs to the guides and posts that give the absolutely terrible advice of boosting ST early on even though you can't even learn any good physical skills until around level 50. It's far from useless and does add up eventually, but the fact that the bonus damage you get from a point of ST is pretty much the same as leveling up in general makes it horrible early on.

LU is one of the all-timer MegaTen dump stats. Everything it does that you'd care about is done twice over by AG. The only reason you'd invest in it is if you're on a 100% run, where as a cruel joke one of the Burial Chambers in the third Kalpa is behind a door that requires a ridiculous 25 LU to get through.

I've heard about magic getting weaker as you level in Nocturne, but what are the exact effects of that? Once I've boosted VI, I put a point in MA every other level until I reach about 25 points in it and that keeps my damage going up at an acceptable rate.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Cool stuff to know, people always made out the dip in magic power like it's a huge drop instead of a minor decline but I sincerely never noticed it. Given how you have almost no physical skills for half the game, I have a better understanding of why investing points into ST does almost nothing early on seeing that formula. It definitely doesn't help that of the skills you do have, Heat Wave derives damage from your HP stat instead.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 26, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ve never really cared for Lunge, it’s just not much of an upgrade over Focus punches, especially with its lower accuracy. The big thing is the 8 skill limit, there are a lot more valuable things you can have set than Lunge.

For most of the game magic is just way better, an element with its corresponding boost can take you very far. I generally don’t invest in ST until around Yoyogi Park where magic starts to hit diminishing returns and more potent physical skills and AOEs start to pop up.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

My usual build for Nocturne is investing in MA on even levels and then either AG or VI on odd levels depending on what I need more, and then I usually transition to pumping up ST when I don’t need any more MA to reliably kill things and the MP matters less. Recent playthroughs I’ve been putting my first 10 levels toward VI just for a safety buffer in case I get bad luck in a random encounter with an ambush or something, and then I focus on Ma and AG in equal measure. I like Fire/Force as my focus since those elements are just flatly stronger at the expense of not having ailment tied to them, though this does mean the Demi-Fiend gets walled hard by Hell Biker. Nothing is perfect.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s important to note that the actual level cap in Nocturne is 255, so as long as you don’t delete Focus you can transition into a physical build regardless of anything given enough grinding. This is obviously overkill for any of the normal endings, but is kind of a necessity for Lucifer if you didn’t specifically build for him the entire playthrough given his resistances.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I wouldn’t worry about those doors unless you’re committed to the Burial Chamber sidequest. You need to have an excessive amount of LU to get through the final Luck door and it is just not worth it in a regular playthrough.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Real talk, just create a separate save file for an honest fight with Lucifer if that’s what you want, then go back and grind up levels for the luck door. The incredibly strict time limit for Noah and Baal kind of forces you to power level anyway.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if I'd say Baal ha a time limit. Sure, if you can wipe her out real quick the fight is a joke, but I like her to survive and bring in her buddies. It makes her absolutely the most challenging Reason boss but not in a lovely way.

I was talking about the Burial chamber fight which does have a turn limit to clear, specifically 10 press turns. You pretty much have to rev up and blast her down in a single salvo of attacks, and if she survives and summons her adds then you’re not clearing that turn limit.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

SMTV was one of those games that has me entrapped for the first playthrough but doesn’t really feel as good starting over, it kind of relied on the first playthrough whimsy. I’m actually pretty hopeful for Vengeance since it looks like it’s polishing up the overall package a ton of top of loads of new content. Plus it’s hard to deny the Switch was kind of a bad fit for the game, considering it has tons of huge open world games that simply run better than SMTV’s overworld does.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but Devil Survivor Overclocked is one of the few SMT games I've 100%'d more than once. The only other games I liked enough to full clear multiple times are Nocturne and DDS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I was thinking it’s more like The Answer or the Triangulum arc where it’s just meant to be a new story entirely. The alternate universe angle makes the intent a little muddy though.