Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Baalster posted:

Well hell, if there's enough demand then copies will just poof into existence.

I like to think VGChartz reports how many copies would've been sold in a perfect world :) where everyone pre-orders the games they want, so publishers have a lot less guesswork and praying to do.

Speaking of which, Persona 2 for PSP comes out in a couple weeks. Have you all pre-ordered yet? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Persona 2 will be $39.99, both UMD and PSN versions (since the US PSN doesn't do discounts for digital as far as I can tell). Release date is still September 20th.

Ghostlight is releasing Persona 2 for PSP sometime before the end of the year in Europe. Dunno how the EU PSN works, but if the other Persona games have popped up there, then I'm sure this will be no problem.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

For the OP, would it be fair to say that Overclocked isn't a compelling purchase for those who have already played the game, but is the better version overall?

Yes, and also because there's not a whole lot else to play on the 3DS so far. :shobon:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Policenaut posted:

Is there really a person out there who looks at that soundtrack and goes "Yes, this is what I want. I want 6 discs of Persona 2: Innocent Sin remixes."

:sweatdrop:

It would complement my The Errors of Their Youth CD.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Reaper tends to only use Megidolaon repeatedly if you use Makarakarn or Tetrakarn. If you can't get Odin, you might still try Siegfried and Vorpal Blade (on a day where you have Great status). Junpei learns Vorpal Blade too when he hits Lv75. Shiva with Pralaya also works, but you need to be Lv82 just to summon him.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I can't get an ultimate persona of a respective tarot card unless I max the associated s.link, right?

Right. There are also some late-game persona that require some of those for fusion, so that means you have even less available to you in the end.

Max S. Link items do carry over by New Game+ though, so if you don't max them all in the first playthrough you can still fuse that ultimate Persona in your next game. They carry over even if you are playing the other gender's story.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Heavy neutrino posted:

I remember a couple instances of "Character X left..." being untranslated, too. I don't know how that can happen; don't they dump the entirety of the text before translating it?

I'm not sure how the text from all DS games look, but I'm betting the translator actually did translate it and a programmer and editor just missed it.

Translators are supposed to play the game along with getting the text dump, so there is no questions about the context. Of course, sometimes you get lines that you have no idea where they come from in the game and you translate them, only to find out how they were implemented a year after the game comes out :sweatdrop:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Aha, everyone has nicknames they hate. At least the game has a sense of humor.

e: or maybe just the advertisement. Pretty funny, though.

e2: status effects are in? Oh boy.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Because these games don't sell a million copies, or even half that (unless you include all versions of Persona 3, then it's well over a million).

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Strange Matter posted:

What's the plot of SMT2 that makes it such a hot ticket?

Stem cells.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The t-shirt and a Kuma plushie were the Persona 4 Konamistyle package.

Kind of underwhelming when you look at the Persona 3 FES Konamistyle package came with a leather Moonlight Academy messenger bag, a crystal Thanatos statue, an enhanced CD with music, wallpapers, a screensaver, and voice clips from the game, and an authentic Special Extracurricular Execute Sector armband.

The P3FES package had the ATH-EM700 headphones, though, with the Moonlight Academy logo on them. Super nice.

Katsudon posted:

Looks like Play-Asia says it's out of print though, unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

Konamistyle packages are always pre-order only, I doubt if you could ever find one after it's released.

I ordered my P4 konamistyle package from yesasia (I think?), so I could choose what size shirt I got.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Aquans posted:

Yeah, that's why I felt a little bit better about P3P coming with a hat, because Atlus seems to think all of their fans are huge.

The shirt came in multiple sizes; I picked a Medium. PlayAsia just didn't let people specify shirt size for this particular order.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
FULLMETAL SISTER COMPLEX GANG LEADER :ssj:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rondino posted:

Just calling the main character banchou(gang leader/badass)

This is because Izanagi is wearing an old-school boys uniform, unbuttoned, which gives him the appearance of a stereotypical Japanese delinquent (or a male cheerleader :gay: ). The 'Hagane' title also refers to Izanagi's metal body.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
About Junpei's special friend, you guys DID bring her back, didn't you?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nessa posted:

I didn't know you could. :(

And I made an effort to talk to everybody, every day, just so I wouldn't miss anything important.

Oh :( it was a special set of flags added in P3FES, and they're present in P3P as well. There are four dialogue options you must pick when talking to Junpei in September. They should all be pretty obvious, but you do have to actively track him down somewhere in town once or twice.

Don't give up! Also, the special rooftop scene with the romantic party member S. Link of your choice is only available in New Game+.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Thank god Azusa Kido is far less prosaic than you :c00lbutt: Have you no romance?!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
There are an awful lot of spoilers on this page, but almost no spoiler tags. If you posted something that you think may shock or surprise someone the first time they hear it (death, character development), it might be a good idea to go back and edit your post and any post you quoted.

People are still posting about how they want to get into the series, or just started playing one of the Persona games. :) Let's make this thread a place they WANT to go to for questions, not one they're afraid to read because they might have something ruined for them.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Since there are things that can only be experienced in NewGame+, playing the game at least twice is necessary. Three times, if you want to really see what both genders have in NewGame+.

I've played Persona 3 a total of 15 times now (in both languages, though). And then the other day I still forgot Fuuka's last name :negative:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nessa posted:

Wait... There are people who don't like the music?

I like all the music, but I do particularly like the girl's town and school music.

The male side's school music after summer break is the best. The female side has a lot more leitmotif between the new opening theme, the new battle theme, and the new Tartarus boss theme.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The loading times are probably significantly shorter with the PSN version, too. If ever you wanted to see how the Persona series began, now's the best time.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

HarveyVdarski posted:

How does it feel to be a misogynist?

How does it feel to white knight a fictional character?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

HarveyVdarski posted:

Yukiko is basically the definition of femininity. She represents everything you fear about women. Youd like her if she was some braindead BAKADESUNE slut who fed you sushi and wept with joy when you remembered her name.
What the christ were you thinking when you wrote this? :psyduck:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

YggiDee posted:

I've seen two different height charts with completely different measurements for everyone.

One is metric, one is imperial.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Krad posted:

How can you say that P2's combat is terrible when P1 has the exact same system pretty much? :psyduck:

Every post these days is a fakepost.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

P2 is just "set up attacks, hit auto, make a sandwich".

P1 is just "chew this poo poo sandwich thoroughly for 40 hours"

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

P1 only takes like 20 hours to complete. :colbert:

Too bad it's not a race! :downs:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

Calling it now: P5 will ditch the combat system and go on full-on dating sim harem comedy. (and it will sell better than any other SMT game)

It would be a funny joke if it wasn't so probable. :sigh:

didn't we make this joke like three years ago right after P4 came out

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Spoiler regarding Kirijou Group

Dolphin Fetus posted:

What does bother me is that there is absolutely no fall out over the fact Kirijo group are the ones responsible

There was, ten years ago. That's why Kirijou Group rebuilt the lab into a school and renovated half the town. The mall is even named after the 'kiri' in 'Kirijou' (Paulownia tree). There's also the "Two in Harmony Surpass One in Perfection" plaque in the school, a reference to when the Kirijou group was still part of the Nanjou group, and a direct reference to Persona 1 and 2.

One of the light novels covered The Incident Ten Years Ago, including Kouetsu Kirijou's descent into madness. I don't think it's canon though, because the author implies that Nyarlathotep (or something that fits his description) was at least partly responsible, and that Philemon saves a boy's life from a car crash on the bridge after Death is turned loose.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
What do you do when that happens irl? Just bust out your cell phone and play a game until someone tells you the party is over and asks you to please get off their couch and go home.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Spiffo posted:

I imagine it's not so much to remind the player of it over and over but rather the dev's decision to bang on and on about it like they do with Kanji's sexuality or Rise's stardom.

If there's one thing japanese game developers are known for, it's subtlety.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The three main characters are high school students, and the game takes place all over the city. Only the first scene was actually in the high school, although I haven't finished the game so I don't know if you return to it. Regardless, most of the other characters are not in high school or even teenagers.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

Did you like it (the game in general)?

I don't think my opinion should sway anyone, because I only liked the original Devil Survivor enough to get one ending. I haven't played much of DS2 because there are a dozen other games I'd rather spend time on.

The designs are pretty silly, but that's japan for you.

If you liked the first one, you'll almost certainly like the second one. It's more of the same, just with new characters and new plot. I did post some of my initial impressions very early in the thread when the game came out.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 30, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I've seen a dozen of them sitting in a sad little stack at more than one commissary. I picked one up about two years ago out of sympathy, but I still haven't opened it. I'm sure it's a good game though.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
By "scenarios" and "situations" do you mean... plot progression? How is advancing the story without benefit?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Oh, like Persona 4's camping trip.

It's not as if either game is particularly short on days, and even if they had chosen to forego plot events for more "free time" people would be complaining about having too much time or not enough characterization instead.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Don't forget the hurricane, too. Persona 4 had a lot more days left over at the end of an All S. Link Max run, compared to Persona 3. Depending on how you define 'challenge' this may or may not be desirable, but to say that one game had one over on the other game and then pick an example of something that is present in both games is dumb.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Or it could turn out like those awful Shadow Hearts games.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Azure_Horizon posted:

... What?

A JRPG with a ludicrous hodgepodge of of western characters, settings, and references. That's what could happen to a Persona game set in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Azure_Horizon posted:

And incredible music, graphics, artwork, design, gameplay...Citation needed I'd be totally fine with a Persona set in America. It'd be the Shadow Hearts IV peopleWho? have been longing for.