Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Personally I think that Catherine was more of a tech demo (with a ton of secret achievements and endings designed to extend its shelf life) for any upcoming games on an actual current console than anything else. The in game cut scenes looked really nice and I could see a Persona game using a similar style pretty easily.

And yeah never date Ken, that's just creepy. I don't think I even talked to him after finishing his social link and he's never been in one of my Persona 3/FES/P3P parties. I honestly hate his character.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Since we got a new thread I'll repost my question from the last one.

I agree that game is pretty slow. I actually got a good deal into the first but eventually just stopped playing. I got the second as well to see if I would like it any more and again got a decent distance into it and just stopped. In my opinion what makes it boring is the archaic static backgrounds that look like they are out of Resident Evil, the uninteresting music, simple combat and the lack of all voice acting (after being spoiled by Persona and other more modern RPGs like Dragon Age it's really hard to go back). It might have just been my disinterest but the encounter rate seemed really high even for a SMT game and when the combat isn't doing it for you it becomes an even bigger drag. I really tried to get into it but just lost interest. That's just an opinion but it's by far my least favorite SMT series.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Can't wait for Devil Survivor 2.

As stupid as some of the character designs for 1 were (and 2 seems to have similar issues...) I really liked Devil Survivor. The entire concept of being jammed in quarantine with desperate people and monsters was pretty novel. The death prediction gimmick was a cool idea as well. I'm considering getting a 3DS when the price drops just to play the 8th day update.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 2, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm guessing they are just taking the hidden system where your interactions in person and through email decide which ending you can see or characters join you and expand that into something a little more robust along with a way to track it in a menu instead of hoping you are doing it right.

I agree the SRPG worked really well with the SMT theme and demons. Even seeing older SMT characters like Mary and Ginko bidding on stuff was a nice touch.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If anything the cannibalization theme becomes more disturbing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

It is coming out, just with a nebulous "2012" release date.

And am I the only one who personally hopes they try and get the female characters in DS2 "under control", as it were, for the international release? I mean I know Japan has always struggled a little bit with balanced depictions of women (and oddly, previous SMT games have often been very good about this), but the art for the girls and the focus on their chests (and their absurd size therein) really borders on the creepily fetishistic to the point of being distracting.

That was probably the :goonsay:iest thing I've posted in the past six months but goddammit that's been bugging me ever since they revealed more than a single female character for that game.

Yeah that was what I was getting at with some of the bad designs in 1. I doubt they will change much but it does look really silly. I don't mind the new guy since while Kaneko's designs are really the best for both demons and people, but it's nice that this game series has its own distinct style. It's too bad the guy can't restrain himself from his obvious fetish.

Vier posted:

Megaten online? http://megaten.aeriagames.com/
What are the thoughts on this?

It has most of the problems of an Asian MMO; clunkly controls and interface, boring quests, super grind, I think there's a cash shop. If you like those go for it but I couldn't play it more than a few days before giving up.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 2, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

It's not even the size, really. It's that they're sticking out like a pair of torpedoes or something.

Yeah as picky as it sounds it looks silly.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Makoto_Sako

It's like she's hanging upside down and they rotated the picture 180 degrees.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Catalina posted:

That makes me really happy to hear! I don't have a PS3 or Xbox360 and wouldn't have been able to buy it at launch anyway, so I'm happy to hear it's doing so well. The game was unique and seemed like kind of a risk (the good kind), so it's great it's doing so well and so many people are enjoying it.

I did inform a friend of the super deluxe edition, which he ended up ordering, so maybe I contributed in my own small way.

By the way, how do you guys on this thread feel about general news on Shin Megami Tensei merchandise? I run across it from time to time, so I don't mind reporting what I think is the awesome stuff. For instance, I've seen news that they're making figures of Caterine from Catherine (of course), Izanagi from Persona 4, and another goddamned figure of Aigis from Persona 3. (Though it's the most awesome figure of her I've seen)

I bought a few of the One Coin figures (mostly for the Jack Bros) and they are not bad.

http://www.videogamemm.com/thehorde/main.php?g2_itemId=14388

I don't buy many of those types of things but I like looking at them on the internet when they get released. It's kind of a bummer that they have like four different Aigis figures while many other characters (and Persona 1 and 2 entirely) are totally ignored. Someday they will make either a Katsuya or a Baufu statue and I'll have to break down and get one.

A long time ago I got some limited edition SMT3 Nocturne figures since some web store was selling them off for real cheap with the Nocturne card game which I guess wasn't popular. They were pretty bad quality and Chiaki came with two left arms.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

Ripped Battle theme from Devil Survivor 2. I can't see the comments, but I'm going to assume that they're full of spoilers.

Is it just me or is there old modem sounds in the background of that?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Personally I liked Survivor since I felt that no one was really balls out evil with the exception of Belberith or whatever the second to last boss was called. YWYH and the angels were brutal but they were right in that if demons escaped the lockdown it would be catastrophic to humanity. The government freaks out and does what it could in a situation where divine beings just pop into your lunch meeting and tell you about a computer server that summons monsters and that it's going to crush your entire country and they at least try and send in a Spec Ops unit to solve the issue without using the final option. The cult leader that caused it all is even trying to free people from what he considers the Sword of Damocles hovering over all our heads that could fall at any moment if we get too smart.

The angels are also honorable enough that if you solve the problem without making the hero the Messiah they and the government remove the lock down as long as demons aren't running crazy, even if you take the Atsuro "control demons for the good of humanity" ending. In any other SMT game they would have found that unacceptable (although you do get the "we're still watching..." email).

It was a nice change of pace from "Law wants everyone to be drones and chaos wants the eternal kumite"."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grand Gigas posted:

Oh, that I know. But still, I don't find his refusal to say sorry as childish. It makes sense that'd he'd be mad, since biblically, God refused his sacrifice only because it was vegetables, and God looooves blood. I mean, there are some versions that point out his crops being lovely, but whose fault is that?
But really, I just always side with Chaos in these games, because I have a weakness for the crazy, evil anarchy that comes. The only time I didn't prefer the Chaos ending was in Strange Journey, where I just loved the Neutral one. Mostly because of that awesome computer AI whose name escapes me.

Well regardless of if Noaya/Cain's sacrifice was spurned rightfully or not, killing his brother over it really is his own fault entirely. I got that the apology YHWH wanted was more about that than being butt hurt that blood is apparently better than turnips.

Spoilering the bible feels really weird by the way.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia a version of the Cain and Abel story is about Cain being jealous of Abel's twin sister which Abel was supposed to marry. That's more Atlus than Atlus...

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 19, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Do Atlus games still disappear if you don't buy them within the first week? I don't plan on getting a 3DS anytime soon but want to play Overclocked eventually.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Awesome I'll probably just wait on that one then, thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nathander posted:

Shin Megami Tensei I and II are directly related, and there's a tie between I&II and Nocturne through one of the characters. The Persona games all take place in the same universe. P3 and P4 are shown to be in the same continuity, and P3 is linked to P1 as one of the major groups in P3 (Kirijo Group) is a split off of a business group/one of the main character's families from P1 (Nanjo Group).

All things considered, if this is a P4 remake they're doing? I'm kinda "eh" on the idea of there being a female protagonist. While it would make the most sense in order to make the game have replayability, there was actual story precedent for a "female protagonist" route in P3.

The entire Persona series is a spin off of "SMT if" so I guess it depends how much that game is related to SMT proper.

Personally I think the female protagonist fit 3 better than the male one. Persona 4 guy feels like a more established personality for a silent hero (I think partially since the narrator talks a lot more) so getting a choice at the beginning wouldn't be quite as cool. If they did do a different gender version I think I would want her to look like the hero when he wears drag.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Momomo posted:

I thought P4 only accented how much a silent protagonist is outdated these days. I found it very unsatisfying that his responses were based off stats and you got things like "You explained to Nanako why people die". It just seems like Atlus thinks the main character has to be silent.

Persona 2 EP silent protagonist was actually the worst in my opinion since she talked like crazy in IS. So she already had a clearly defined personality and even the other characters reacted as such in the second game when she didn't speak. It was purely out of tradition of silent protagonist even though it was really clear the person you were controlling was really talking and not necessarily with your input.

So it resulted in absurd conversations like she was a dog where people were explaining what she had just said back to her.

"What you say that you know who this boy is and this is the person you saw earlier??"

Like who talks that way?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Maya: ....

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FINALmasa posted:

I'm just hoping for a female protagonist because it would add content that would make the game worth buying. They keep releasing games on PSP that I can't play, so it would be nice to have some reason to get it. At the same time, the Vita will be even more expensive, so it'd have to have some killer titles to make it worthwhile. Since I've never played a New Game Plus before, I'd much rather play a new version of the game instead of just playing the old one again. On the other hand, P4 is better than P3 in just about every way, so there's less reason to play an improved version (except that the PSP version is a downgrade in many ways anyway, which this game will probably avoid).

Also, I'm pretty sure a licensed fighting game is doomed to failure. Has there been a good one that doesn't involve Marvel?

Yeah one extra Slink and an animated cut-scene or two isn't really going to make this worth buying. The female protagonist gave a different perspective and spiced it up a little so I hope they are just holding out on that announcement.

The fighting game on the other hand is seriously out of nowhere. I know it's P3/P4 but they better release previous characters as DLC or something since they are all the best ones.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Don't they already have the "city kid in the sticks" thing covered with both the main character and Yosuke? Even Adachi is from the city and bitter about it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That Teddie with the hat and cane is totally awesome.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Persona 5 is the next generation's Duke Nukem Forever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like how they are using the starter personas for the fighting game. They always seemed to look better than the upgraded ones.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FES had almost an additional game and P3P had the second gender route. I hope this game has something to entice people to come back and play again since I think most fans have either played through the game multiple times or at least watched the Endurance Run and I'm not sure a few tweaks and animated cutscenes are worth another game purchase.

In regards to Aigis I ended up liking her a lot more than I thought I would but I still wouldn't want her jammed into this game. If the fan requested feature isn't another story route then I hope it's something like Devil Survivor's "choose your abilities when fusing" system since the random based one is an irritating time sink.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a system where certain spells are worth more points and you can only transfer a certain amount of poinst worth of spells. Also the same limitations of certain spell transfers would be the same. I'm just wanting to cut out the "did I get the spells I know I can get? Nope, ok cancel, cancel, cancel, reselect, nope, cancel, cancel, etc..."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I did kind of find it amusing that when you beat Izanami you know FOR SURE that you got the mastermind when you thought you did this three times before and each time someone else was higher up the chain but this time it's 100% the right one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I admit I wouldn't be sad if Naoto was mysteriously absent from this port.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Am I mistaken or wasn't there already a scene in P4 in some sort of bath house or whatever?

Yes but it was unanimated and low in fanservice content outside of more "Naoto is awesome, here let's explain why!!" bullshit.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 1, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm holding out for Scathach.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Persona 2 is fine. The only real negative is the double grinding you have to do where you typically can't negotiate and make contracts with demons when you get to a new area due to low levels. This combines with the incredibly repetitive negotiation system is irritating. Honestly if you know what a boss is weak against in Persona 2 you really don't have to grind that much if you use skill cards effectively when creating personas with appropriate strengths.

However the graphics are on par with any Playstation era game, the plot is better than most RPGs and the battle system is fast and requires some pre-thought. The rumor system is a neat idea that mixes game play choices with plot effects.

I can see the hate for Persona 1 since in was clunky (the PSP version fixed A LOT of that) and the 3D graphics were repetitive. Persona 2 on the other hand is a good game that has some flaws based on how its a 10 year old game with some outdated mechanics.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fighting game guy in the Giant Bomb TNT this week was really ragging on the Persona 4 fighting game.

Personally it feels like fighting games drop out of popularity so fast (except for their dedicated fan base) it doesn't really matter how technically great it is.

EDIT: It wouldn't be a Persona if it didn't come way too late in the system's life span.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Heath posted:

Does P2P have any preorder bonuses? Or is it just the soundtrack?

I'm pretty sure it's just the soundtrack unless there are some business specific bonuses I'm unaware of.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Question for anyone with a review copy (or I guess a Japanese version). Does it let you save your game at the end? I remember in EP you could import your game data and get some junk but this was disabled in the US for obvious reasons.

Policenaut posted:

Kinda pretty.

That's pretty pretty.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just think it's funny that they go "THIS time it's for reals" and don't notice the problem of this being the forth time they've said it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

But the music. :nyoron:

Also!

e: Be careful with the sidebar, one track may appear that's a spoiler.

I've always been partial to these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnJlhDZIak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1w8b6xIWJo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaQ6F4XFkbA

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The important question is will the teachers get portraits??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Justice posted:

FULLMETAL SISTER COMPLEX GANG LEADER :ssj:

Is Chie's something like "Meat eating dumped girl?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Junpei was kind of a dick in P3 and while I started out liking him, didn't really care much for him by the end of the game but felt like a much better friend in P3P.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spiffo posted:

Ugh Mitsuru was the worst, I mean her ice attacks are really awesome but for the longest time she kept trying that stupid "charm 1 foe" move and even once she lost it she'd still use Tentarafoo when I JUST WANT YOU TO HIT SOMETHING GOD drat IT. Even at the end of the came she'll use Mind Charge but then instead of Bufudyne she'll use loving Spirit Drain or something.

She'll act a bit better if you set her to Full Attack and I love when she just fuckin' tears into poo poo with her rapier but so many wasted turns. Shoulda brought Koro or Aigis instead.

Even more frustrating is when the MC gets charmed or something and no one will help him out even when they are set to healing. They'd rather get 50hp back on almost full people with useless items than recover the most important person in the party. Party AI was a cute idea in context of the P3 design mindset (you are your own character and all interactions with the party is through conversations or requests) but I'm glad it didn't become a series staple.

Junpei did get better after Chidori but he was such a whiny rear end in a top hat that was constantly lashing out because of his own (deserved) inferiority complex that it soured me on him.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 12, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think some of you are overstating just how much the shadow selves represent a person. They are part of the person but it's a negative side with none of the positives that someone is trying to suppress (which is why they are bitter and want to be the real person). Part of Yosuke wanted to play hero and go into the TV world but to say that was his entire (or even main but that's unsure) motivation isn't true. It's like with Chie; a part of her saw Yukiko as a way to have someone need her (and conversely Yukiko wanted someone to lead her) but they were still friends.

The Shadow selves in Persona 2 are a lot more brutal than they are in 4 in terms of telling everyone just how much of a dick your "bad" side can make you look.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Yosuke is a jerk, but I think there's enough examples of him getting what's coming to him (the main character is often collateral damage in this) or people being jerks to him that it kinda evens out. His description in the fashion show makes it clear his jerkiness is intentional but I think it's his awkward way of showing affection.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 12, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you don't count the Snow Queen Quest (which took grinding to a new extreme but most people won't care to play it) I think I had to grind once in Persona 1 before the last boss. I know it's cool to hate on that game and all but if you can find it for $20 and you like JRPGs it's a good buy.

I also agree that contacting demons once to get their card is a much better system than contact grinding for cards in Persona 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Agreeing with this, what little I played from the original had some neat gothic tracks, very in tune with typical SMT, the new pop music for P1 just doesn't fit to well.

The music is the change I didn't really care for in the P1 re-release and I would have like to have a classic soundtrack option.