Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I know the whole Megaten Universe continuity is up for debate in a lot of ways, but I was listening to some discussions that took place before SMT IV and now I'm kind of interested in finding out where SMT IV fits in it all. I assumed the Demonica Armor being in the game means it has some relation to Strange Journey, but obviously nothing is canon©.

Also, I just beat SMT IV with the Neutral ending, so I got pretty pumped. Very good game, and now I'm trying to decide whether to play Strange Journey or Soul Hackers. Soul Hackers was really kicking my rear end last I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
That is all new info to me. I find it interesting he is talking about the games color as an important part of the overall theme of the game, and this is really exciting to hear. Sounds like they really want to make something with an overarching theme and message. I'm sure that those desks / chains are going to be a thing we see a lot in the game, perhaps every character will have a scene with it?

Anyone know of a good Let's Play of Last Bible or Persona 1/2.1/2.2, preferably by someone who is explaining the plot as they go, making some commentary, and is good at critical thinking?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I played a lot of the PSOne Revelations: Persona, but only of the first 5 hours or so, because I rented a PSX and never had a memory card. I recall my mother's reaction being, "What the hell is this?" at the time. It really was a good game at the time, and very new compared to the rest of the American Market at the time, but its a lot like the SNES SMT in that its hard to get back into after years of progress in how JRPGs are played.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I desperately want there to be a fan theory in which Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2 are considered in the SMT universe.

edit: Black Frost was unlockable in Snowboard Kids 2 IIRC.

VVVVVVVV

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Does this mean Atlus USA will no longer be publishing Atlus JP games, which Sega will now publish or am I misunderstanding completely?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm pretty excited to see a marriage of Etrian Odyssey and Persona. It's kinda like doing each of the Persona games in a classic SMT dungeon crawling style. I'm just wondering if the difference between playing the cast of 3 or 4 is going to be drastic enough for a second playthrough, and whether or not there will be enough customization involved to keep things interesting. EO has the benefit of recruitable classes and strategies to lend it customization and interesting combat interactions, the only real thing we could say is that Persona has multiple demons.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I was really hoping for late 2014 release.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Kind of, but the location it takes place is Cyberspace and (very minor spoiler)you are the demons.

It would be neat to have an SMT game take place in another city, but I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon. Strange Journey seems to be the only one that was developed with the thought of 'oh someone from America might play this'.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Sounds like I need to play DDS2 pretty soon.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I've lovingly crafted the OP to a DDS 1 LP for the subforum, and I have the first post as well. However, I am unsure of how to progress with the game going forward. Does anyone have an awesome Walkthrough / FAQ that I can use to full clear?

What stats are good to increase? Its pretty easy for most the SMT games, especially the ones where you never get magic, but it seems like you need more of a mastery of what each stat does in DDS to make your life easy. Last time I played DDS I got pissed off at the sewer dungeon underneath the Vanguard outpost and quit.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Thank you a million times over, that's a great write up on it. I'm gonna quote that in the Hunting explanation for the LP when it goes up, just an FYI.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

There was really no lead up to this announcement. I'm curious if it will get ported to the Wii U maybe, as well.... Probably not.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sir Unimaginative posted:

SMT4 and Rune Factory 4 together might justify a 2DS.

If you add Devil Survivor 1 and 2 and have not played Strange Journey I'd say it easily justifies it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Ah, my mistake. I didn't know if Devil Summoner got released in Europe or not.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Painting Law / Chaos as fanatical is kinda the point. Pure chaos is asking for pure chaos and pure law wants pure law. They are literally YVHV (God in most cases) and Lucifer. If you're going to invoke those characters you cannot give them any driving forces except to go full left or full right.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I say that if you're going to invoke the ultimate law character, literally God, and also invoke the ultimate Chaos character, literally Lucifer, you cannot have them be compromising figures. They are in an established mythos of a world religion of being very much pure law and pure chaos (though, within their mythos they are defined as Good and Evil). It defies convention to use a character that is established in a world religion to be one way and then give them motivations that create compromises. Its just bad storytelling, you certainly can do it, but I do not believe that it would improve your story line in the least. I just don't see where one can disagree on this. You just don't include them in the story line if you don't want uncompromising characters.

I can see an argument for the minor demons and servants and wondering why the go full left or full right, but I think its just a case of following orders

ImpAtom posted:

Control vs Freedom is a pretty basic concept for a story. The problem is generally that the only real reasonable way to tell that story is for it to be a "the truth lies in the middle" narrative because too much control and too much freedom are both pretty lovely things.

I agree, but I also am a fan of neutral route in every game, so...

That said, I do like that the ending to SMT I that is canon is the Neutral route and that it ends up being, 'yeah well things were gonna get hosed again eventually you should've seen this coming'.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Freak Futanari posted:

I logged into it one last time a week or two ago to see if anyone was still there, and it was the exact same lv97 people who were playing it years ago, still standing around idle in the same spots. It was kinda creepy, in a way.

There's always people like this in MMOs and its kinda weird. I guess I just don't get what they do except have the game minimized and never do anything with it. Same with people in IRC channels from a decade ago. I imagine if I went to any private RO server from a decade ago I'd find some of the same people standing around.

Imagine seemed like it was gonna be cool but at some point it just wasn't worth the effort, how was the plot?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Just give it a female MC and no choice, force loser nerds to get creeped on or something. Maybe try to get them to put it in perspective. But that might be hoping for a bit much and its pretty unlikely.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm not implying their isn't. Persona 2 IS and EP are great games and definitely worth playing and a mention here for anyone who hasn't played them yet.

I'm suggesting that it would be not only good to do again, but funny to make nerds play through a game building social links as a female (without a choice, and crafted around it), maybe expose them to what its like for women to deal with them in social situations.

edit: everyone above me pretty much covered the same points.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, the front is cool, but the back is sorta tacky and ruins it.

The backside will probably end up getting faded and rubbing off with extended play, so this may or may not be an issue after some time.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Strange Quark posted:

Atlus USA made up a whole new acronym for people like Pewdiepie. :allears:

PYTP gonna be the penultimate boss to YHVH in the next SMT

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Yeah playing Persona games over is such a god drat chore because there's almost an hour to almost two of not playing the drat game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
The SMT IV map is improved by the ability to fly around on it, only for it to be made less great by the fact that you can only land in preordained locations

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
The Manikans are pretty creepy the first time you meet them. I'm sure its intended, but they're so very uncanny valley, every time they do that twitching thing I loving cringe. I hope they decide to explain more about them than 'oh we're the escaped ones, most of us are slaves in Ikeburko'.

Are they the equivalent of (minor smt4 endgame spoiler)actual human slaves to demons in the chaos world in SMT IV?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Just encountered Matador for the first time. I get the reputation now, but it can't be that hard to come up with a strategy for him. The Demon that absorbs force makes it really easy to float through that first part. I had trouble because I don't have Media yet and don't have a good way to recover everyone's HP reliably and so everyone was but the force-drainer during the Taunt / Berserk portion. What's a good Demon to make / grab for Media at around level 15?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MrAristocrates posted:

Doesn't Archangel learn Media?

I dunno never got it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Ended up making Matador a joke by getting the guy with lunge and focus and using rakunda. He never even used the combo of taunt and physical cause I critical for 500 when that phase began. Awesome.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

straight jerkers posted:

Bad framerates and slowdown

You mean DDS, right? Everyone I've heard talk about it says they did not do as good a job porting it as they did on the Nocturne port. Its playable, though, so its worth getting to support Megaten ports. I wonder if it will, however, save the clear data in a way that the inevitable release of DDS2 will get the information.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Devil Tesla posted:

Part of the fun of Persona 3 is that in order to be successful you must befriend and manipulate horrible people.

I keep wanting to revisit P3 but going through the 50-ish hours to full clear it while watching teens simulate self-inflicted gunshot wounds makes it really hard to play now, 7 years later. I don't know exactly why, but the idea seems really oppressive.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Playing Soul Hackers and SMT 2 is interesting, because it kind of showed me how we have arrived where we are today with SMT games. I'm glad they've gone the way they have because boy is SMT 2 unpleasant to play through. Its not particularly challenging after the beginning, and there's is WAY too much back tracking. Soul Hackers took the turn of being very challenging (to the point of game overs being a thing you just learn to deal with), while having a lot less back tracking and interesting dungeon design and textures (though this was a limitation on the SNES version).

I'm on the boss rush in SMT 2, at last, and while the ride has been good, I will not replay it, likely. The backtracking was just too infuriating. But boy it is easily one of the top 5 written RPGs for SNES, and probably that I've ever played.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Beef Waifu posted:

As someone who loves everything about Persona 2 aside from the game, do not play Persona 2.

Is it that rough? Both of them?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
As someone who just recently suffered through SMT II (actually, outside of the back tracking and the boring as boiling water dungeon tilesets it wasn't that bad*) and it sounds to me like I might enjoy, or at least be able to suffer through P2. I'll probably pick it up sometime, maybe if it goes on sale.

How many Megaten Games has everyone here beaten? Which was your favorite? Least? I feel like I have crossed into the 'official a member of the cool kids club' now that I've beaten / read through (this is the case for If...) 7 Megaten games, now. It also is surprising how deep this rabbit hole goes, and that unlike FF games, I look forward to the next one after each game.

*Also the boss rush at the end and Hiroko not getting a Dis-Stone spell pissing me off.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've got quite a few tied for favorite, but only two for least favorite, one of which is pretty obscure even for this series. Revelations: The Demon Slayer/Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible on the GBC takes forever and a day to get moving, and is pretty terrible in just about every aspect, except the battle graphics being pretty decent for the system. And SMT If... because god drat, does it have some amazingly bad level designs.

Like the dungeon where the mechanic is 'walk around for enough moon cycles'?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Strange Journey is really good so far (about an hour and a half in) and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Megaten games. I wish someone had told me how great it is, I would have front burnered this long ago.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Speedball posted:

I loved Strange Journey more than almost any SMT game I've ever played. Not sure. It might be the top.

A big part of that IS the fact that its dungeons are unconventional mazes with multiple dimensions, dark areas, treadmills, teleportation mazes and drop holes. You are not just dungeon crawling, you are exploring. That said, some of the later dungeons are like being attacked by Shitload the Demon from "John Dies at the End," a monster who knows five different deathblows and they are all a variation on kicking you in the crotch.

This sounds a lot like SMT II, which I just beat a few weeks ago. Most the bosses were pretty easy but the ones that did gently caress you, hosed you. And towards the end I just said gently caress it on most dungeons and used a guide.

Overall though, I can see where people who are not huge fans of first person dungeon crawlers and have not played the SNES games would see some of that and go 'forget that, that is garbage' but

BottledBodhisvata posted:

But I mean, the game is kind of like that one chick who got that fine rear end but she like "you can hit this but I'm gonna bite you during" and you're like "well I don't mind so much" and at first it's kind of sexy but then she just keeps biting and biting

describes what it can be like pretty well.

All in all, the set up to SJ is one of the most engaging and interesting of the SMT franchise, and I can tell that an effort was made to make this appealing internationally because its working. All in all, I like this a lot more right now than I did Soul Hackers, ever.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Freak Futanari posted:

Atlus' memes are almost as worn out as the Persona franchise.

Atlus will create a world in which Persona 4 lasts forever.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
There was a new one posted in one of the SMTG that included the newer releases, and contained my fan theory that SMT IV and Strange Journey take place in the same universe.

Also, some of them are confirmed connected by the staff, and none of them are numbered 13-3 and all the characters are more well liked than Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which ending of Strange Journey would be canon then?

I will get back to you after I beat Strange Journey, I'm on Dolphinus now, and I really really love Strange Journey, its in my top 3 Megaten games easily. When I talked about it with people who have already beaten it Neutral seemed to be the suggestion.

If the chaos ending is "Demons are let into the Earth" then that would be my idea for how they tie together.