Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Having played the original one makes the new voices feel almost stapled on, especially when the acting itself is sub-par. This seems more like a second-chance option for those who didn't get a DS for whatever reason than a worthwhile re-release/update.

Still going to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Ordered Devil Survivor Overclocked along with a lot of other crap I've been meaning to and a printer. I was glad to see DSOC was down to a sane $35 when I needed a new printer!

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Len posted:

For anyone wanting a Megaten game from farther than two hours Gamestop can make a phone call and get it from multiple states away. This is great if you're looking for Soulless Army cheap.

Used to work there, if you just go and ask your local store they'll usually do this for you no problem, I did this all of the time and it's how I collected most of my rare stuff when I still worked there.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I named my main in DSOC Cloud Strife because I intend to answer everything in character and see where I end up. In the original I chose naturally and got Naoya's ending, and I'm not broody, mopey, or a clone, so I think this will be fine.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
The compendium is a welcome upgrade as well. I actually care to see more than one ending now since I'll have something to do to kill time in between text. Oh yeah, the voice acting is also passable and takes the tedium out of reading eeeeverything. Strange Journey had that problem but moreso.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
What is the absolute max I should put into Str in DSOC? I've seen the consensus is "8, but" and I would like some elaboration on what the "but" is, since I have him at 9 now and want to leave it alone but it's already lagging behind my other stats and I have three magic users now, so being more flexible for the time being is what I'm looking for. If 9 is one too much that's fine too, but I'd still like to know what the "max" is.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Day 6, I have no clue what ending I'm going to get since I seem to have opened up quite a number of them (though I am trying for Gin's since I appear to have the option), I put Cloud Strife's strength up to 12 just to make him more flexible and am now at the point where I can just dump magic all day, and about 50% of the demons in my rotation have some combination of Drain, Holy Dance, Recarm, and Media. As soon as I crack Mediarahan it's loving on. I am actually considering skipping fusing a Tyrant Hecate (since I don't need it to crack the skill, obviously) because I don't want to really give up anything else I have to fuse it, odd as that sounds. I am really looking forward to putting Black Frost in my party when I get the chance.

Also, if P4G gets a female route I will be pleased as punch, the female route in P3P made it worth the replay alone. I am apparently a goddamn sucker for The Same Game With New Stuff Added In.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Even after I stopped working at Gamestop I still felt like not preordering niche stuff like this was kind of silly if you had one close by. I happen to have like 27 or something within 20 miles of myself so whatever but I reserved mine and had zero problem picking it up soon as they were open. Same with anything else I've ever reserved.

After quitting I've bought far more games from Amazon than ever though, but reserves yeah.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Finished Amane's route and 8th day, I have to say the 7th day bosses past Jezebel were kind of a cakewalk with 16/x/16/16 as my main's stats and my team's skills were all Prayer, Holy Dance, Drain. I don't remember anything beyond that, but now that I'm on my second playthrough I power leveled to 10 Ma just to get Drain going. I don't remember if Multi-Strike was in DS1 but mother of god is it powerful. Drain Hit + Dual Shadow on something with Multi-Strike feels unfair after a point.

Don't know what ending I'll pursue next, but I changed my name from Cloud Strife to Bruce Wayne. It's pretty hilarious that everyone keeps calling me Batman.

"No wonder he's your cousin..."

Edit: Okuninushu is one of my favorite boss fights now because of how I had to take him down. Basically Deathbound was treating most of my teams like a blender treats frogs, except Mari and Catoblepas, whom both had Phys Repel. Imagine, if you will, a boss that kills itself.

vanov fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Alteisen posted:

I always have enough money, this one just left after all proceedings.

Oh well, game's starting to piss me off anyway, spent like an hour getting my demons rights and upgrading, get into the first battle of day 3 and I get bitchslapped down by all the humans there, some of my demons are the same as theirs, no idea why the ones they have do more damage, typical Atlus "difficulty" I guess.

Starting to lose my taste for their special brand of bullshit.

Mind your initiative and how you use extra turns. Do you give the enemy priority more than you should be? This is one of the few ways stock demons can overcome player-owned equivalents. Diversify what your teams do. Try to prioritize mobility and freedom (Flight, Phantasma, Demon Speed and Animal Leg all are crucial to gaining priority). Do the Free Battles until you run out of skills to crack; this should provide most of the exp and macca you need, and gives you better magnetite options.

The game gets progressively easier as you gain access to multiple hit skills, like Ma- stuff and the Dances. Crack Drain, Holy Dance, and Recarm as soon as possible for use in magnetite copying. Recarm becomes Prayer and Samarecarm as needed; once you have about 50% of your team like this it's nearly impossible to die.

I can't emphasize this enough, Drain is T.H.E. most important skill in the game to crack.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
For some reason I love Tartarus. It's different and something about the game being one central dungeon with story dungeons on the side appeals to me.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I would take fatigue over P4's brutal SP restrictions any day of the week. Magical healing foyer love (thia is changed to a healing toll booth in P3P).

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
My main's team by endgame was Holy Dance, Drain, and Prayer/Samarecarm on all three members with Magic Yang. 1 MP to 100% heal in combat is inarguably good, and by the time your stats are high enough Drain acts more like a sniper rifle than anything. Gotta give it up to Magic Yang though.

Exploring Atsuro more this time around, he's kind of disgusting once he learns Health Save though it's pretty late game. I just can't figure out how I want to build the two extra characters; I have Yuzu and Keisuke at level 21 and I can't set a whole lot of skills from my last playthrough due to their stats, but I've never really figured out how to balance my two spare characters without them being redundant half-as-good magic nukes that pale to Main. I'm considering a healing team with Devil Speed/Phantasma/Flight and Switch as a support recon thing but meh.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Hey look guys, it's Nocturne's Battle Music: The Band! Song starts at 0:31.

edit to ^ since I'm here: Almighty damage can't be blocked, making Holy Dance and Drain two of the best skills in the game. Racial movement skills matter more in most fights than having the best most broken demons, so if you're struggling with a fight try a different strategy. Try to crack every skill in a zone before moving on with the story, because this gives you more options when your magnetite fills and you can copy a skill to a demon; you can use Free Battles to do this.

vanov fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I seriously can't even approach DS2, the recycling of content so liberally makes it feel cheap and tortured. It's almost the same drat thing as DS1 but somehow strictly worse, and the impressions I've gleaned from the rest of the thread is that it doesn't get much better. To clarify, I own it and have tried to get past the first day about three times before giving up out of pure apathy. I think I'm going to just wait a year and come back to it when I have the itch.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
P4 is much harder than P3FES to start due to the lack of a Magical Healing Lobby, and getting nerfed on SP in earlier dungeons makes playing Simon Says through the bath house much more of a meat grinder than it should be. Once you build up a respectable SP pool and/or get access to replenishing items or the Hermit link it gets much, much easier. Basically, until you can stop caring about SP entirely, it's probably more important to your progress in dungeons than HP.

edit: If you get stuck on a floor boss in P3FES, change your tactics around. While your party members' repertoire is more or less static, you have the ability to plug holes in your team's strategy and this can be all of the difference in boss battles. If your persona line-up is a bunch of high-damage monsters with little access to healing or buffing/debuffing, go fuse until you come up with something that works.

vanov fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 20, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I used Yukari, Akihiko and Mitsuru as soon as they became available and did so through to the end of the game.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I found that one of the flaws of the game was how little I actively wanted to switch everyone around. There was literally no fight I couldn't overcome with that team once it was available, and I ended up with this same problem in P4 as well (Yukiko, Yosuke, Chie [yes I know about Teddie, meanwhile Galactic Punt :colbert:]). I tend to be pretty inflexible once I find something that works, though, so it's my own drat fault in the long run.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
JRPG players forgetting that teenagers are chronically stupid and often in need of hard life lessons, now I have seen everything.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Detective No. 27 posted:

So do they just get rid of those teleporter machines in Tartarus's 4th block? I'm having a tough time finding any of them.

From my experience the incidence rate was really low in that block but went back up in the fifth and is like almost every floor in the last.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Heavy neutrino posted:

The chattering in this thread urged me to re-play Persona 4, and sweet god that color palette is an unholy abomination. I'll take P3's bluish-black palette over this eye-devouring monstrosity any day.

Give it a week. A real-life week.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
All of the "lol anime" talk is kind of trite. There are actual animes of the anime games. The dork oroborus comes full circle as a matter of marketing. Why yes water is wet.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

vilkacis posted:

This made me laugh like an idiot. I'm going to save it so I can giggle at it again whenever I want.

(Then I had to hop over to tubedubber and paste Evangelion's opening theme over DS2's intro cinematic. :downs:)

This seriously works way too well.

Social Links are probably my favorite part of P3/4. I also love Tartarus, conceptually, and I really loved how thoughtful the integration of Tartarus into reality (down to certain party members being busy because of real-life things) over P4's version, where your entire day gets eaten up by the Midnight Channel. I don't get why people have to get angry about this poo poo, or talk about games they haven't played yet (I openly admit that I just cannot get my teeth into DS2 even though I bought and beat both DS and DSOC). I always viewed Social Links as a natural progression to Tales of's skits, and the "everyone gets to do something cool to tie up their loose ends" sequence in Chrono Trigger is one of the reasons that game is even playable in a modern context.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Technique posted:

DS2 does a better job of being Evangelion than Evangelion itself does, though.
Oh, THAT'S why I can't play it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I haven't paid for or played P4 once as of yet, what kind of prize do I get in your smugass strawman fantasyland

The "you're robbing yourself of a genuinely great experience" award, and gently caress that award.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Justice posted:

So then the people acting disgusted will buy the game anyway? It's almost like the pretense otherwise is unnecessary, then. :shobon:

I'm buying a Vita for PSO2's portable version, but it's nice that Atlus Co. is getting an early foothold. It'll be a shame if the fans poo poo all over their initial venture just because you can make a 15 year old girl wear a super low-rise thong.

Seriously, this is different from how most 15 year olds in America dress how

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Technique posted:

You win the "Avoids Bad Games" prize. Congratulations! It is a very good prize.

This post should be ignored. Hooray for opinions.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Okay, I finally picked up my own Slim PS2 and am playing my copy of Devil Summoner 2 I got when my old room mate had a PS2. Between the PS2 BIOS screen and the Atlus logo, it stays on a black screen for almost 30 seconds. None of my other games do this, and there's no slow loading or weird glitches happening in game. Is that long rear end gap before the logo normal then?

Sounds like an issue with the disc, I played it on a PS3 and didn't have this experience but that's obv not a slim 2 and I don't have a slim to test it on, sorry. Hopefully someone else will be more helpful here.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Technique posted:

Gotta get those boobs front and center, i suppose.

Pander Express

Legit though, wtf that's pretty embarrassing and having that in my collection as a serious game would embarrass me.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I'm honestly just sick of sex in games. I have yet to see a game where it doesn't feel either completely stapled on or like something I'd want to avoid. My wife introduced me to SMT with P3 and P4, so it's not that I'm sexphobic, it just drives me up a wall how hackneyed and pandering it always is. This game box in particular makes me roll my eyes so drat hard, it's like someone let Rob Liefeld into Index's art department.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just started P2:IS basically I'm just sitting here like :stare: because of already how old school it is (not really a problem) and how I have no idea what is going on in the story haha.

I super can't wait for P4 though :)

E: I also feel like I read in here sometime that I am supposed to let my party members figure stuff out for themselves (no idea with respect to what), is that right?

That's correct. Playing P2IS will make P4 that much more interesting, since many of the character archetypes are reprised and revamped.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Nebs posted:

Hahahaha, those are loving terrible.

Great job, posting your constructive criticism without actually posting anything to help, you're a fantastic art critic! What an amazing internet post you've made!

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
When DS2 originally hit most of this thread was bitching about how needlessly difficult some of the boss fights were, so know that you're not alone!

This post was made by someone who owns it but can't be bothered to get past the first day due to disinterest.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I love when this thread looks like something out of a disclosed CIA document. I don't mean that facetiously, it's just cool to see the in-depthness of these discussions.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone know the actual math behind buffs / debuffs and the X Charges in P3P? I'm playing on Hard for the first time and want to do my best here- for stuff like Tarukaja, is it worth casting on yourself and then attacking for the next turns that it's in effect, or is the net damage you do usually about the same as 4 attacks (using the turn it took to cast Tarukaja). Obviously having a support character instead of your attacker cast it makes a difference, but I'm curious as to how effective this stuff actually is. Also, as the FemC, what social stat should I max out first?

This is kind of a bullshit answer, but buff/debuff skills have always been mad useful in SMT, especially so in P3P to my experience. Mind/Power Charge are somewhere around 2.5x or 3x depending on if the target is debuffed, and they amplify absurd amounts when the target is weak. Plus, the Charges stay active until you actually "use them up" if I recall, letting you sandbag Power Charges if you need to heal/ etc.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
"Games for kids" is about where I stop listening to any gaming argument; it's kind of like Godwin's Law to me. The NDS had so many non-kiddy games including SMT which, hey, check out the thread title, and as already stated the "shovelware" argument is horseshit when you're talking the second best-selling system of all time. You complain about DS games either under-utilizing the bottom screen or having gimmicky uses for it; I can only wonder how you feel about The World Ends with You, easily my favorite game of all time though I acknowledge it's difficult to "get."

Also Catherine is awesome and the competitive scene is cool as gently caress.

Japanese games revolving around Japanese culture and concepts, who would've thought. Tell us, what do you like?

vanov fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 4, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. There's a competitive scene for Catherine? loving awesome. I really need to play through that again.

Youtube it, it will break your mind.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Beary disappointed with Yu's P4A VA. I guess Adachi's VA needed a job, but it's so ... unsettling. Also what the gently caress is a venisonian.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Serisothikos posted:

This post is beautiful.

Johnny Yong Bosch voiced the Protagonist in P4.

That explains why the two sound identical. It's hard to tell in P4 since he doesn't say much beyond "Persona!" and the names of whatever he's summoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Krad posted:

They should just say "screw it" and make P5 about the mixed cast from 3/4 going through college.

Maya gives up writing for Coolest to become a college professor in Awesomeology. Seems legit!

Edit: P4/A spoilers
Wife: I wish you could play as Adachi! Bust his rear end out of prison!
Me: "Hey, can I get a TV in my cell?"

Also why the gently caress is Harley Quinn in P4A? (Labrys has so much Jersey on her, srs)

vanov fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2012