Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So overclocked is not worth it if you played it on the DS sounds like. Anyone see the 8th day stuff/ see if they changed endings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want a persona 3/4 hd re-release with trophies!
JRPGs have horrible trophies it'll probably involve having a perfect playthrough, getting every character to 99, getting every persona, beating the grindy secret bosses, beating the game separately on each difficulty and having your play clock max out

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baalster posted:

I bet you weren't too big of a fan of 15,000,000 HP secret boss in FFXIII, eh? What a wuss, the true pros can take bullshit trophies like "Do the Land of Carnage without losing any of your units and beating every level 9999 enemy with only a plastic ladel".

But seriously, gently caress JRPG trophies. Trophies work for stuff like adventure, action, fighting games, etc. because they're all set within realistic boundaries that don't make the game a chore, I have not had this experience with any RPG yet.
What made me stop trying in FF13 was when I realized I literally had to grind turtles for about 10 hours and there was nothing else left to do

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Radish posted:

The entire Persona series is a spin off of "SMT if" so I guess it depends how much that game is related to SMT proper.

Personally I think the female protagonist fit 3 better than the male one. Persona 4 guy feels like a more established personality for a silent hero (I think partially since the narrator talks a lot more) so getting a choice at the beginning wouldn't be quite as cool. If they did do a different gender version I think I would want her to look like the hero when he wears drag.
Well the upcoming anime is actually gonna be that guy so yeah I guess he's gonna have a defined personality for real this time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Grimace posted:

The best method is how Bioware does their protagonists, where you choose from a list of answers (not unlike Persona games) but then the character has its own voice and replies based on how you yourself answered. There's no reason why Atlus can't do this for P5, but there's no reason to say they will. :(
The reason is bioware games have 10 times the budget Atlus does

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I'm playing overclocked right now and I'm at a battle that I don't remember being this hard before.

Day 6 at noon, Gin actively tries to get himself killed by running headlong into battle like he's attached via a series of magnets.

I'm going to try this another couple of times, but if I don't pass it soon I'm going to put this game down for a while. His AI is just so stupid.
Those types of battles are the reason you can get demons that let you swap position with people, try that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Allarion posted:

The fact wi-fi is even being used is making me heavily intrigued about what they're changing up for the Vita version of P4. That and the fact that Marie might be more than just a social link, even a playable character, means the possibility for heavy change-up in the story as well.

P4 fighting game just excites me for no discernible reason. Also confirmation that P5 is still being worked on, which is nice.
It's not gonna be multiplayer it's gonna be one of those things where if your party dies you can connect online so someone can "save" you so you don't lose progress or something.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Come on man, you all of people must have already played this game. I played this a while ago using an emulator on my PC with a translation pack. That said, of course I'm getting this. Day 1.

I wonder if I need to dust off my PS1 copy of Eternal Punishment or if there's going to be a PSP release of that as well.
I actually stopped playing that patch when this was announced :v: figured I'd wait for the improvements. I remember the grindy nature bothering me but the story was interesting so I'll live.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

I find it really weird that people go into video games wanting to get game overs and have their time wasted.

I find it really weird that people go into video games wanting to hold up and mash X
Edit: So I don't sound like a dick I like RPGs to be a bit challenging because then you really have to learn to use the mechanics and use them in creative ways instead of just mashing FIGHT over and over.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

There is no middle ground. You either just press X, or you constantly get Game Overs. You either have a happy story about a serial killer, or a dark story about death. Light and Dark. Never grey.

I honestly don't get that many game overs in SMT games, it's hardly "constant".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Why does teddie do psycho crusher besides the fact that it is awesome

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BurningCourage posted:

From those screens it looks like Naoto has some form of Mudo, you see the miss icon along with some purple poo poo in one of her screens. Will this actually instantly kill if it hits? Would be hilarious if it did.
Arcsys games all have instant kills

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Devil survivor is pretty bad about making you protect allies that can die way too easily. Other games in the series aren't turn based strategy, so you don't have to worry about protecting NPC's and the like. There still is some luck involved, (insta-kills, status effects), but generally part of the series' strategy is setting up builds that can nullify these things.
DS gives you tools to deal with it though, like healers, guys that swap location with an NPC, guys that can increase your move to get in range.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nessa posted:

Nevermind then. I have no idea why, but I was thinking that Troy Baker also did Akihiko, but I was wrong.

Still, it would be cool to get some funny dialogue out of Kanji when he faces Akihiko, since he's shirtless and all. I know Blazblue had some great dialogue depending on who was fighting who. Like Noel's "Ragna the Bloodedge, you're stupid!!"
Yeah for a serious fighting game BB had lots of effort put into the single player story and flavor dialogue, if they don't do it for a fanservice game they'd be idiots

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akihiko more like Akirahiko

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played it and didn't finish it because it got so boring can someone spoil all of it :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah and doesn't it also boost more because of the way defense works? A 100 power attack would do more than 2 50 power attacks or am I getting my JRPGs mixed

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All of the new consoles are going to be announced/released this year and there still isn't even news of a SMT game for this generation. At this rate they're pulling a P4 where the game comes out so late in a system's life people have already moved on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'll wait for the eventual Devil Survivor 2 rerelease for the 3DS that adds almost nothing and poorly implemented 3D for more money :I

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharismaticHorsey posted:

All right, goons, I need your help. I'm a… "mainstream" Altus fan and have only played Persona 3 and 4. If I want to get into the rest of series, what game should I try next? I have a PS2, PS3, and a 3DS.

Everyone's going to say Nocturne, but give Devil Survivor (DS) and Strange Journey (DS) a try too, I liked them both for very different reasons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Haha oh man I need a Vita when this comes out

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vita can play P1, P2 and P3P as long as you get the digital versions. Then you get P4 Vita.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really liked DS1, DS2 could be a worse game and I'll probably still like it.

Wonder if they'll do a rerelease though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Just in case anyone here is interested in the Persona 4 fighting game but doesn't peruse the thread for it, here is every characters Instant Kill super (except for the new robot girl).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpD-LZ2J2Pg
Man I wish this would've looked as smooth as Blazblue.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That video is pretty bad quality, the animation is actually a fair bit better than BB, as are the graphics as a whole.
That's amazing to hear, really wanna see this in person now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I hear the story in P2 is amazing but I really did not like the gameplay and gave up halfway. I'd like to go back to it sometime but I found the battles super boring, in P3 and P4 I always looked forward to the combat and fusing new guys.

Edit: Ironically I did enjoy Strange Journey even with the grindy nature and minimal story

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 14, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had a mainly physical MC in DS1 and he did really well. Physical pretty much outdamages everything for most of the game, there's one skill that either does a critical hit or misses, if you give your MC the skill that automatically boosts accuracy it just makes that skill always hit and well everything doing double damage now.

If a guy has reflect just don't hit him.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Given their track record P5 will be out once everyone has a PS4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Corduroy posted:

Persona 4 Golden comin' out Oct. 23rd in the US.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8737754

NOT SOON ENOUGH

Just got a Vita and looking forward to filling it up with games. A lot of Atlus PSP stuff just had a price drop too, I think Persona 2 is $30... maybe I should finally pick it up.

PSP stuff looks very nice on the massive screen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

human snorlax posted:

OH! Oh... I just paid $40. :rubshands:

The price drops happened more than a week ago I think. It might be NA only? I use the NA store.

Persona 1: $20
Persona 2: $30
Persona 3: $20

Then random things like Class of Heroes and Knights in the Nightmare at $15.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

But you can buy a $50 NA code and get both Persona 2 and Persona 3 if you use a state with no sales tax like Delaware.

I bought a $50 code for about $58 on Maximuscards, if you're living in the EU I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than buying stuff normally.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Catalina posted:

Thank you very much for the info! That date is a lot sooner than I expected, based on how long it took them to translate Persona 3 Portable and Persona 2 IS Portable from when they were released in Japan. I hope that gives them enough time for the localization, though I'm sure it will.

At this rate, I guess I'll be buying Peronsa 4 Golden before I buy a Vita, haha. Here's to hoping there'll be an extra special preorder bonus and collector's edition!

P3P had a lot to translate and re-voice though thanks to the female side, P4G just has some extra bits.

It also sounded weird when some characters obviously switched from a line that was used in the original release to a line recorded 4 years later.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nahxela posted:

Free Battles give you the option of retreating whenever you want (from the system menu), so you can go in, kill what you can manage and retreat when you've had your fill. That way, you can gain levels/experience until you're satisfied.

rip cool demon designs.

At least they had the decency to redesign Loki for Devil Survivor 1 and maintained that redesign for the next batch of games, like Strange Journey and Devil Survivor 2.

I like how the redesigns for the Norse Gods are all Dragon Ball Z guys

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Technique posted:

But the battle system in P3/4 is pretty lovely! It's Babby's First Press Turn System, without very much depth beyond HIT THE WEAKNESS, and it's slow as gently caress. And the Persona systems in P1/2 are miles better than P3/4, if only because you can actually choose Personas for ALL your team members. And i'm not talking about the PS1 version, but the remake, so some of your points aren't really valid there either.
I think you're the only person in the thread full of Persona fans who ever defends Persona 1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

El Belmondo posted:

I like the song and the funky dancing intro, it's got that 70's aesthetic along with the yellow coloring, but I'd prefer it to be like FES where it alternates between the original and new intro.

Their dancing is so funky

Is the year in Persona 4 ever mentioned?

I know the games make a huge deal of the Calendar stuff so I really should know this.

Anyway even if it does take place in modern times something about it really does seem kinda 70's. I feel like you could move it 30 years back and it wouldn't change anything (also Chie's hair would make more sense)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, it's two years after persona 3, 2010 I think?

When you go visit some of the P3 class, Akhiko and Mitsuru graduated and are gone, and mostly everyone else is on their graduating year.

Oh right, I forgot that they wanted to link in P3. Other than that it really feels like it should be a decade or two older.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I've always wondered about P3/P4, but do S. Link points stack? Like if you talk to a given Link, and they would level up no matter what you do, but say later on you invite them to lunch for a few more points, will those points carry over for the next level up? Or would they be wasted, since they were going to level up anyway?

I kind of just did whatever in P3 and it worked out fine, but I may do another run in P4 if I like it enough (so far it's pretty cool).

It's wasted, so if you know for sure they are about to level up take someone else out to lunch.

Also you can save the next playthrough for October when Persona 4 Golden comes out :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Radish posted:

Kinda a bummer that it's not a a "real" console so I can play on a large TV instead of a portable but either way SMT4 it better than no SMT4 so bring it on.

I wouldn't expect too many SMT titles to appear on consoles to be honest. The PS4 is almost announced and there hasn't been a single SMT game on the PS3 yet. Atlus is a small dev and it's probably easier and cheaper to keep going the handheld route.

Dehry posted:

3DS is selling 7 to 1 over Vita. There is a higher install base on that system. The 3D part of the 3DS is a gimmick, but it also has increased graphical power. Atlus hasn't made use of it other than a fancy 3D intro for DS:OC and Nintendo doesn't even require 3DS games to have 3D after their turnaround last year.

At least the 3DS is cheaper than the Vita. Those of us wanting Persona 4 the golden are going to have to spend $300 just to get the game and console.

I have both and I would much prefer a Vita release. The screen is so drat pretty and it would be downloadable, something Nintendo has yet to embrace in the year 2012.

Anyone who has been following SMT games for a while knows how difficult it can be to find the games sometimes, that's the great thing about Digital Distro.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Nintendo is at least starting to get into digital distribution now. So far they've only said anything about first party software, but it would be very stupid (and also very Nintendo) to deny third parties. Here's a Joystiq article about it.

I'll believe it when I see it honestly, I really don't think this will be widely adopted by third parties for the 3DS where on the Vita it's a requirement to publish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How does Persona 2 on the PSP compare to a modern RPG? I mentioned this before but played the fanpatch earlier and it just felt... old? Some games age well and it seemed like one of those games that didn't. I also wasn't really feeling the gameplay, the story was interesting though but I don't want to play 2 70 hour games for a story.