Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Somebody recommend me a game from either the NES, SNES, or Genesis to learn how to run. My current experience level is I can do all the tricks in the Strider tutorial from AGDQ, and my best time is like 10 minutes. So I'm pretty hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

RickVoid posted:

Somebody recommend me a game from either the NES, SNES, or Genesis to learn how to run. My current experience level is I can do all the tricks in the Strider tutorial from AGDQ, and my best time is like 10 minutes. So I'm pretty hot garbage.

chester cheetah too cool to fool on the snes

chester cheetah wild wild quest on the genesis

too cool to fool on the genesis is bad in the bad way (worse level design they fixed in the later released snes version) and wild wild quest on the genesis is bad in the good way (bosses dont have any I-frames so the fights go way faster than they do in the later released snes version)

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 18, 2018

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Cool Spot

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Woulda asked this in the AGDQ thread but I got to it too late; could I get some recommendations for some good, non-meme / awkward nerd humor runs from this year's AGDQ? I think my gold standard is this run by kz_frew from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTmrQHGVCC8

this is kind of unfair since he is ridiculously good at balancing insightful commentary and humor that doesn't rely on lovely internet catchphrases (for nearly an hour with almost no dead air!) and his couch isn't spewing HAHA, 10/10, GOTY, AMIRITE every other line

I just wanna watch videos of chill dudes (or gals) playing a game fast and having fun without forcing it. Oh, the run with that older foreign dude who did Secret of Mana at like 4am in the morning one time was good too. Just something along these lines. Thanks

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AF posted:

Woulda asked this in the AGDQ thread but I got to it too late; could I get some recommendations for some good, non-meme / awkward nerd humor runs from this year's AGDQ? I think my gold standard is this run by kz_frew from last year:

this is kind of unfair since he is ridiculously good at balancing insightful commentary and humor that doesn't rely on lovely internet catchphrases (for nearly an hour with almost no dead air!) and his couch isn't spewing HAHA, 10/10, GOTY, AMIRITE every other line

I just wanna watch videos of chill dudes (or gals) playing a game fast and having fun without forcing it. Oh, the run with that older foreign dude who did Secret of Mana at like 4am in the morning one time was good too. Just something along these lines. Thanks

The Dragon Warrior run is completely skill and low on dumb memes and not loud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

All it is is pure Human TAS (you'll see)

e: Contra Co-Op is also skillful and not memey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZETvYopcHs

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AF posted:

While I did close the thread, second post of it has the list of recommended runs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845629#post479949058

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

SoftNum posted:

Contra Co-Op is also skillful and not memey

Thanks! Oh, hey - CavemanDCJ is an interviewee in this one. I like the guy.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I have a list of example TASes. It ended up longer than planned. But it currently looks like this:

007: Nightfire was chosen because TASVideos itself has picked it as a good newcomer run, and I wanted some more 3D game TASes. I was considering including Goldeneye 007 in 30:42 by Wyster and Scaredsim instead, but I felt like I had to include Super Mario 64 for how iconic that has been in both speedrunning and TASing, and didn't want all my non-GDQ 3D TAS examples to be N64 games. Decided to forgo the "let's play with recognition" TASes like Family Feud and Brain Age because they don't really fit what I'm going for here (even if they're very awesome), and there was no real room for playarounds either.

Still up for suggestions, but just as with the speedrun examples, the list will not contain more than ten videos, so if something is added, something else has to go.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

AF posted:

It may not be the flashiest run, but Rayman is a chill speedgame with chill people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=750&v=RGMXErBZFHs

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bionic Commando TAS is great for having tons of impossible for a human frame perfect stuff but no really crazy warps or anything that's super broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiOFR4yt4NU

Some of the climbs are just bonkers.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Maybe one of the Mortal Kombat games, since everyone knows what's supposed to happen (it's a fighter, you beat up the other guy), and it alternates between glitching graphics and utterly humiliating the CPU with perfect victories.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

RickVoid posted:

I thought Chip 'n Dale was a fun learning experience for speedrunning when I was trying things out, though I couldn't find any good resources for actually being good at the game. It's a Disney game so it's pretty easy, actually fun, and has no learning curve or really difficult tricks. A full run is only 10-15 minutes so you can get a lot of attempts in.

Super C was my first game, mainly because it felt badass to finally be able to 1CC that game after like 30 years.

Disclaimer: I'm not actually a speedrunner.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 18, 2018

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I am now sure that the new thread is going to be posted tomorrow. It currently has:

- Explanation of what speedrunning is and a highly abridged history of it.
- Links to the most important speedrunning websites.
- Information about the general goon speedrunning chats on IRC and Discord.
- List of example speedruns.
- Links to Summoning Salt's world record progression videos.
- Information about speedrunning marathons.
- Explanation of TASing.
- List of example TASes.
- Information on how to get started with speedrunning yourself, with links to the resources you need. (Maybe this should come before the TAS segment)
(currently planning on splitting the post here so the following will be in the second post, mostly with the idea that the stuff in the first post is mostly static information whereas the second post has lists of things that will get added to over time)
- Glossary of speedrunning terms.
- Index of speedrunning goons. (remember to post your info if you haven't - currently contains halfcoordinated, me, Oyster, SeXReX, Studio and Punchy)
- Links to all the speedrun marathon threads.

Anything I've missed?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

So I am now sure that the new thread is going to be posted tomorrow. It currently has:

- Explanation of what speedrunning is and a highly abridged history of it.
- Links to the most important speedrunning websites.
- Information about the general goon speedrunning chats on IRC and Discord.
- List of example speedruns.
- Links to Summoning Salt's world record progression videos.
- Information about speedrunning marathons.
- Explanation of TASing.
- List of example TASes.
- Information on how to get started with speedrunning yourself, with links to the resources you need. (Maybe this should come before the TAS segment)
(currently planning on splitting the post here so the following will be in the second post, mostly with the idea that the stuff in the first post is mostly static information whereas the second post has lists of things that will get added to over time)
- Glossary of speedrunning terms.
- Index of speedrunning goons. (remember to post your info if you haven't - currently contains halfcoordinated, me, Oyster, SeXReX, Studio and Punchy)
- Links to all the speedrun marathon threads.

Anything I've missed?

A link to this post by beep by grandpa (or include it as the second post in the thread):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845638&pagenumber=1401#post480306779

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RickVoid posted:

super mario rpg

it is not an easy game to run at all, in fact it's really punishing, but it is such a nice, happy game that you will likely never get pissed at it. besides, if iateyourpie can successfully run it, anyone can.

it's also a cool mix of jrpg and platformer that make it a pretty unique speedgame, and it will force you to get good at doing near frame-perfect things since doing 100 3-frame window tricks in a row (in a 60 fps game) is 100% necessary for the run.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can the final post of this thread be preyslaughtered.jpg

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

beep by grandpa posted:

Can the final post of this thread be preyslaughtered.jpg

NIGHTMARE SLAIN

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

AF posted:

Thanks! Oh, hey - CavemanDCJ is an interviewee in this one. I like the guy.

Any time he comes up I think of the classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Boogalo posted:

NIGHTMARE SLAIN

👍 :emptyquote: 👍

I'm excited about posting in the new thread!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Final Post Here: https://pastebin.com/6JmhEriM

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Can I be on the speed runner list I promise I’m gonna speedrun soon (sniped last post ?)

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
dont forget this for the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02gLPWxEMbM

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

holy moley this is great

OKKKAAAAAAYYYYY

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thank you for the good times everyone, lots of memories here. I for one will never forget some guy's insane in-caps rants about how emulation isn't real and is just a simulation/imitation of hardware and shouldn't be considered a legitimate form of gaming. I'll remember those loony posts from my death bed. God speed, crazy goon, wherever you are :911:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
On that same idea here is another video that I think sums up speedrunning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b56N17d4WnM

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

beep by grandpa posted:

Thank you for the good times everyone, lots of memories here. I for one will never forget some guy's insane in-caps rants about how emulation isn't real and is just a simulation/imitation of hardware and shouldn't be considered a legitimate form of gaming. I'll remember those loony posts from my death bed. God speed, crazy goon, wherever you are :911:

ahhhh I had all that poo poo screencapped and now I can't find it!!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heeheex2 posted:

Can I be on the speed runner list I promise I’m gonna speedrun soon (sniped last post ?)

Celeste comes out in 7 days

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm not gonna post the new thread until I've slept (and given it a final proofread) so you still have like 12 hours of this thread left which is also the time you have left to post your information if you want to be included in the goon speedrunner index when the thread is actually posted.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hanales posted:

On that same idea here is another video that I think sums up speedrunning.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b56N17d4WnM

can we not promote fuckin alt-right goose in the thread

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Is Streets 1:12 on the video list?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

No one cares. No one cares. No one cares. This is so unrelated and out of the blue and annoying that I would like you ask if anyone else but me would be interested in rule #1 of the next thread be Shut The gently caress Up About Politics If That Is All You Have To Post About?

People continuously have asked you to shut up about politics because all you contribute are not just annoying as hell derails, but they are always the exact same derails. And you do not cease. Please cease. If anyone quotes this post to make fun of me that's fine I just ask that you replace my entire post in the tags with "grandpa mad"

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

I’m not sure what that video has to do with the alt right.

E: also you made grandpa mad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beep by grandpa posted:

No one cares. No one cares. No one cares. This is so unrelated and out of the blue and annoying that I would like you ask if anyone else but me would be interested in rule #1 of the next thread be Shut The gently caress Up About Politics If That Is All You Have To Post About?

People continuously have asked you to shut up about politics because all you contribute are not just annoying as hell derails, but they are always the exact same derails. And you do not cease. Please cease. If anyone quotes this post to make fun of me that's fine I just ask that you replace my entire post in the tags with "grandpa mad"

lol @ whining about "politics" you big babby

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
rwhitegoose turned into a really intensely pro-trump guy which is super weird since he's canadian afaik

I don't really know what's between grandpa and drwhat but either way I'd rather not point people in his direction if there's an option, which there is

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I am *extremely* embarrassed for making that post instead of put it in a pastebin.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Grandpa been watching too much fox news

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
everything in this world is inextricable from "politics" and creating a community that is kind and inclusive to marginalized people is extremely important. Rwhitegoose is a cruel, bigoted shithead and that should not be forgotten or ignored.

flatluigi posted:

I don't really know what's between grandpa and drwhat

neither do i

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

More like RWhitePrideGoose am I right gang?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

beep I like your whole positivity schtick but sometimes it veers into “don’t rock the boat” when it should be about supporting a good, inclusive community. this is one of those times, even if doctorwhat can be a dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it sucks that guy is a pro-trump ingrate because his goldeneye videos are good :(

• Locked thread