Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like laughing at goose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

everything in this world is inextricable from "politics" and creating a community that is kind and inclusive to marginalized people is extremely important. Rwhitegoose is a cruel, bigoted shithead and that should not be forgotten or ignored.

You are well intentioned but it is patronizing as poo poo for you to gate-keep and act like you know what's best for me and patronize me on what I am allowed and not allowed to watch, which I feel like is being treated like a child. I just want to enjoy my niche dumbass hobby and not be treated like this. This poo poo bothers me.

Vaah posted:

More like RWhitePrideGoose am I right gang?

I'm extremely upset that this isn't the final post of the thread.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

beep by grandpa posted:

You are well intentioned but it is patronizing as poo poo for you to gate-keep and act like you know what's best for me and patronize me on what I am allowed and not allowed to watch, which I feel like is being treated like a child. I just want to enjoy my niche dumbass hobby and not be treated like this. This poo poo bothers me.

I on the other hand was glad for the warning before watching the video

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

beep by grandpa posted:

In what way am I gate-keeping you? My original post wasn't even a response to you. I was expressing a personal concern to the thread as a whole.

I'm sick and tired of nerd communities sheltering and empowering shitheads. It's why I retired from Competitive Smash - too much sexism, transphobia, and slur-flinging and too much toxic machismo. None of that is necessary! It loving sucks!

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Sometimes you find out people are gross and it sucks but there's always alternatives

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
he can't gate keep, that's my job

you're both being dweebs, post loving speedruns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0Cb5a3UUM

Here's one. I did a run of a five minute game jam game. It won a contest, I did playtesting for it and junk. It's alright. Low effort content but it's better than whatever the gently caress this is. I'll try and do something more interesting soon, sorry.

oh yeah Kenny if you're including goons in the new thread my speedrun.com profile is here and all of my associated social media junk is on it and up to date, spot me a place in a phat new OP: https://www.speedrun.com/user/Punchy

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

DoctorWhat posted:

iQue is legitimate because it is ACCURATE - albeit only accurate to itself.

I'm going to rephrase my opinion, actually - broaden my horizons. For a game to be "real", it doesn't need to be legal - romhacks aren't "legal" but I consider them distinct games (as long as they don't attempt to infiltrate the original game's rankings). But it has to be AN ACTUAL GAME THAT SOMEONE MADE AND RELEASED - NOT an interpretation of a ROM that serves only the end-user.

Emulator-only time-savings DO NOT "EXIST". They are MANUFACTURED. They do not rise, naturally, out of the development process of the original game. "OoT in PJ64" is not a real video game - it's a poor copy of a real video game.

OoT on iQue is a real game. It has, in the barest sense, artistic merit. It is therefore ACCURATE to a "legit" version of the game - to itself. It is accurate to specifications that it earned the ability to set by virtue of its release.

Project 64 has NO ARTISTIC MERIT - it's NOT REAL. It's an abstraction, a consensus illusion of a game that falls apart if examined too closely. ALL inaccurate emulations ought to be regarded the same way.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

ahhhh I had all that poo poo screencapped and now I can't find it!!

:emptyquote:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

oh yeah Kenny if you're including goons in the new thread my speedrun.com profile is here and all of my associated social media junk is on it and up to date, spot me a place in a phat new OP: https://www.speedrun.com/user/Punchy
Already got you on the list since you told me pretty much exactly what you said in that post on Discord. :V

Xenogunner actually looks pretty dope, I'll need to try that.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

You're alright, man.

wow holy poo poo this post chain is from 2013, there's discussion about the absence of a central leaderboard mixed in here

how loving quaint

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 19, 2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

This is a strong argument for calling off the new thread and keeping this one imo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I said it and I meant it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
gently caress ignoring hateful poo poo, you can’t just pretend that when they aren’t actively making GBS threads on minorities or whatever, they’re not the same shithead. The people they disparage aren’t only vulnerable when they’re being attacked.

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

regurgitating social justice language in the defense of a reactionary shithead is corny as hell

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Can the ique copy paste please be in the OP

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

fine by me, because it's true.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"boy i can't wait to read the speedrun thread regularly after all the good vibes of AGDQ 2018"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Looks like I'm in the "minority" here and I should "speedrun" out of this "category"!

Sorry for the thread "softlock" I was trying new "strats" so I'll gonna "split" for now :hehe:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

you can't spell "beep by grandpa" without "pb"

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

SeXReX posted:

This is a strong argument for calling off the new thread and keeping this one imo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://youtu.be/7wfYIMyS_dI

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I think one of the best features on the switch is the ability to instantly record the last 30 seconds of gameplay- I think speed gaming (or at least sharing new strategies) on the switch will be collaborative as gently caress and that’s super awesome imo

E: “will be” means when there’s more than botw and odyssey to speedrun

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it’s also great because if you stick to games that are shorter than 30 seconds you can post full runs without buying or setting up any capture equipment

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

heeheex2 posted:

I think one of the best features on the switch is the ability to instantly record the last 30 seconds of gameplay- I think speed gaming (or at least sharing new strategies) on the switch will be collaborative as gently caress and that’s super awesome imo

E: “will be” means when there’s more than botw and odyssey to speedrun

the only problem is that it needs to be enabled by the dev :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

the ps4 lets you record an entire hour and it's opt out per game not opt in

you can actually record runs with it instead of just strat clips without capture cards n poo poo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

yeah but you can’t take your ps4 on the go so who cares

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Kaubocks posted:

also it only has bad games too

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

only if you lack imagination

SeXReX posted:

also it only has bad games too

celeste confirmed to be a bad game

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

You’ve caught sexrex in The Gamer’s Trap

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

celeste confirmed to be a bad game

it doesn't have celeste for 7 more days at which point it becomes almost acceptable to own one

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Having run mostly action-type games, or games that have big communities so the routing is already all finished, routing (well, route testing/cleaning up) a RPG where you're at the mercy of random drops determining your stats and therefore your battle strategies is a pain.

Also, KennyMan plz add me to your superfast goon list: https://www.speedrun.com/user/kariohki all my stuff is there

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

KariOhki posted:

Having run mostly action-type games, or games that have big communities so the routing is already all finished, routing (well, route testing/cleaning up) a RPG where you're at the mercy of random drops determining your stats and therefore your battle strategies is a pain.

Also, KennyMan plz add me to your superfast goon list: https://www.speedrun.com/user/kariohki all my stuff is there

despite never really playing RPGs myself I find that whole routing against the rng aspect kinda neat. It's like counting cards in blackjack you gotta bet smart based on what you know can happen.

that's what makes rom check fail such a good run

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

beep by grandpa posted:

No one cares. No one cares. No one cares. This is so unrelated and out of the blue and annoying that I would like you ask if anyone else but me would be interested in rule #1 of the next thread be Shut The gently caress Up About Politics If That Is All You Have To Post About?

People continuously have asked you to shut up about politics because all you contribute are not just annoying as hell derails, but they are always the exact same derails. And you do not cease. Please cease. If anyone quotes this post to make fun of me that's fine I just ask that you replace my entire post in the tags with "grandpa mad"

Lmao source your quotes.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Don't post goose. Well post that comic. It's good.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

SeXReX posted:

that's what makes rom check fail such a good run

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Lmao source your quotes.

https://pastebin.com/VWQzDLB8

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQknBJo4aBQ

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Studio posted:

I am mad that goose is the person who narrated the Track And Field Olympics 2000 N64 World Championship video from the practice room at GDQ that one year

because the actual video is literally just button mashing on cam and then 0xwas being showed in dollar bills and it's great

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

drat that was so good i forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone got any strats for this game?

• Locked thread