Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Surprise Blast Corps run with PEACHES_ happening right now on the marathon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
And a speedrun thread shoutout! Apparently we're awesome.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"triggers end screen through nonstandard means" would be a better name for the category, in my opinion. It fits new stuff like the Kirby run where you enter a water block from the bottom, or the Earthbound run that triggers the debug menu to skip past the credits. Alternatively: "direct memory manipulation" if you're going for stuff like the indescribable Chrono Trigger run or the similar GB pokemon run (can't remember which version).

Or both!

e: can someone point me to where they're discussing this on the site so I can basically copy/paste this comment over there

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd think it'd be easier to ask what runs shouldn't be watched. Personally, the Halo run dragged on way too much, and the Majicka run was a speedrun in name only. What else would be skippable?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fleshweasel posted:

you don't receive PMs but I'm wondering what the gently caress the deal is with the link in your avatar.

Crazy got banned, has been buying avatars for random people to spread the word of his banning. Apparently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
When was the last time a Metroid Prime game was on a marathon? I miss it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a list of the gimmick tases that went up today?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HKR posted:

-Bastion: Available on everything, even Chrome. It also is still ripe for trick discovery. A little expensive if you didn't manage to grab it on sale though.

I would love to see Bastion speedrun.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The problem with "not allowing glitches or bugs" is that it's a really goddamn huge grey area.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Glitches can be fun as hell, too. I love creative sequence breaking and OoB tricks. I also picked up flying from the Psychonauts speedrun and loved every second of trying it myself (pchoo)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

YggiDee posted:

I skipped to a random point about halfway though and Adult Link was fighting the Dondongo King. What the poo poo have they been doing to Ocarina of Time? How do people even find this stuff out. Can any of these tricks be pulled off on the 3DS version?

Here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/schedule/

Go down to the Ocarina of Time run and click on the link there - it's Cosmo doing a run live on the marathon and explaining most of the tricks.

There have been optimizations since (that particular video you were responding to is a really major one that was just discovered this week), but it's still very good.

Also go watch the rest of the marathon and have your mind blown fairly regularly.

And the old marathons! http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/old/2011/AGDQ/schedule/ http://speeddemosarchive.com/marathon/old/2011/SGDQ/schedule/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What are the sorts of things that you can do with the tuner to speed things up? It's been ages since I last played so I can't even remember everything it does.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I would loving love a Michigan run and all I know about it is that it's by Suda51, has horrible voice acting, and is most likely really bad.

But entertaining.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kaujot posted:

Has the general opinion towards Sunshine improved? I never played much of it when it was released, and it looks like so much fun. However, everyone I know craps on the game.

I've never heard anyone complain about the game, personally.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The two best pages to check periodically are:

http://www.w00ty.com/sda/stream/ - Stream aggregator of a bunch of SDA members
http://www.twitch.tv/team/srl - SRL's team page on Twitch

Additionally, I recently installed a Chrome extension called Twitch Online, which you can set up to let you know when people you follow go live.

Linking that addon because I really really like it. The desktop notifications are exactly what I've been wanting.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Banjo Kazooie is getting more and more broken, everybody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WpHc2KdYoM

Sadly you need to get to the last level to get the bee transformation, so I don't think too much can be sped through with it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm not sure what route they're using to unlock and get to the Woods, then.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

furry drum circle posted:

In the SDA Thread on BK Any%, Cronikeys says there are note door skips that let you enter CCW early.

That'd do it! Good stuff, I should look into this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Could someone give me a timestamp to where Pie started the Paper Mario run? Or is that not archived yet?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SeXReX posted:

Cosmo is racing Siglemic in Majora's Mask. I usually avoid both of them but I think everyone's seen what happened last time they did this.

Why would you avoid them? Too mainstream?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

evilalien posted:

Did Zelda just shoot him at the end there?

Yeah, he didn't have the mirror shield up. He was still past 4:40 with that though so it wasn't too heartbreaking.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The comments are attached to a charity donation, man. Let them say whatever dumb stuff they want.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why is the OoT run scheduled for six hours :psyduck:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So what's everyone's favorite skip or trick they've seen used in a speedrun? My favorite thing when watching marathons is seeing all those little things performed in various esoteric games. I really liked watching the levitation trick in the Psychonauts run last year and immediately broke out the game myself to try it out (it's surprisingly easy).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

wa27 posted:

They should have disabled twitch chat the entire time and put a small message in the stream directing viewers to the official chat.

They pretty much did, though it wasn't that clear.

Baron FU posted:

The official chat was a lovely echo chamber with overzealous mods.

So what did you get banned for?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Photex posted:

Yeah. No. I was banned for bringing up kirkygirl so the mods in that irc were just as bad

The only person that was banned from the channel was someone who was being really creepy and asking for threesomes. I'm hoping that wasn't you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Hotline Miami would be really entertaining to see run, I think. I'd also love to see Fez done, but that would involve some really heavy and convoluted routing that would be a bit hard to get into if you weren't already thinking about it (would you run 100% or just first ending? how would you incorporate being able to fly in NG+ for 100%? how would you work the time-based puzzles?)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cubemario posted:

The biggest hurdle with Hotline Miami is how much RNG is at play. You can't guarantee the same weapons, or AI behaviour for any of the levels. Of course it's totally possible to run it, just impractical.

The AI is identical on restart. Weapons are a decent point, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMq2xFb0juI

THPS3 in 3:55!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I wonder how many runs are killed by those loving balls on the Los Angeles level.

His last run was murdered by it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6sPPqN1Kes

This newest one saves the time with alternate routing for Suburbia and some really fantastic ball handling.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Reminder that we have a new(ish) channel on SynIRC for speedrun discussion! Head over to #speedruns to hang out with us.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alteisen posted:

Oh for fucksakes, that weight lifting horse is NOT from MLP.

Doesn't it have a symbol on its rear end like all those ponies? I'd be happy to hear confirmation otherwise, I always feel a bit weirded out when I watch his stream.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I said I felt weirded out, rear end in a top hat, there's no reason to jump all over me to defend your precious ponies.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Mirror's Edge in 43:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMS87dhKjXY

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

take_it_slow posted:

Any% relies upon something called the blue house skip, which requires two consecutive frame perfect jumps, which turns off a lot of runners. The most illustrative example is probably that the any% record spends about 5 minutes on the skip itself and is sub-par in its execution compared to other contemporaneous runs. Basically, it's too luck based and no fun to run.

It's also a pretty recently found skip, so until it's cleaner and more fun to pull off people will just stick to the old category that they've been running forever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They're apparently both really old splits and splits from a different route than he's currently using.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The levels are procedurally generated based more than partially on your luck and choices, so that's out the window.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm aware, I was just referring to the fact that you can't have a seed that automatically produces identical levels like they were asking.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4V0DSyhYfM

Embedded because this deserves to be embedded. Sequence break from the end of the first boss all the way to the final boss of the game :toot:

Trick's apparently hell, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I missed this when it was posted yesterday, but 810 note door skip found! BK is finally broken :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsxInBEpdw

• Locked thread