Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This year's AGDQ has finally pushed me over the edge and I'm gonna start speedrunning the games I enjoy the most and feel like I am the best at. However, unfortunately for me, these are primarily 3D flying shooters like the Rogue Squadron and Ace Combat series', so I feel as though there'd be little interest/competition, despite them being relatively popular and very much ripe for speedrunning. I hope that with the massive interest in this most recent marathon, more people get into speedrunning and we see more games and genres start getting some love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

K8.0 posted:

I'm going back and watching archived stuff I missed from AGDQ. Is there a list anywhere of which speed runs are the ones that are glitchfest demolitions like DK64, Sonic 06, or either OOT run? Those and other runs where there's a lot of doing poo poo you aren't supposed to do (like Super Monkey Ball 1) are the runs I find really entertaining.

PJ's co-op of Battletoads and Double Dragon.

Also, watch his run of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. There's only a little glitchiness, but the run overall is one of my favorite things from the marathon. Although it's probably only half as funny if you've never played the game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Baron FU posted:

The official chat was a lovely echo chamber with overzealous mods.

So, it was exactly the same as the Twitch chat?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just took part in my first race. It was for Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I won :toot:

It was rough though, because I've been practicing speedrunning Rogue Leader, so the clunkier physics of Rogue Squadron really threw me off quite a bit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Capsaicin posted:

Any particularly good runs out there that you would recommend someone watching? I watched the Earthbound run with commentary and it was really really interesting and entertaining. Any other good ones? Particularly RPGs w/ commentary. Not interested in TAS, though.

It isn't an RPG, but everyone needs to watch PJ's runs of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Battletoads. They're golden.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If anyone is interested in seeing someone relatively new to speedrunning practice a game that hasn't been run much yet, I'm live practicing Rogue Squadron right now @ http://www.twitch.tv/cannotfindserver

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shabadu posted:

I stopped watching Cosmo the second PJ went live and I believe I made the correct choice. Good god this is the strongest night of worms in a long time.

Yeah, I love Cosmo and all, but I can't say no to PJ when he's streaming Worms or SGnG. He's the most entertaining streamer, IMO.

That round that started with someone kicking a mine into Dr. Fail was the most amazing thing; it and the round after had me crying with laughter.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I guess that's one way to shut up the people who said that he'd been surpassed by other runners. He just needed to actually play the game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

higher competitive aspects of worms

That sounds awful, tbh.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Him not figuring out that the first in that confusion spam team was Slowbro lost him a continue. He thought it was a flying type.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OK I can understand not wanting to see Wind Waker for whatever reason, but uh, there's a good alternative already: don't watch it. I find most Final Fantasy speedruns to be boring as all hell, but I'm not dumb enough to think pulling them would be a good idea; they are popular games that bring in donations. I just do other things while they are being run.

I mean, we're talking 5 hours out of 150. Can you not find something better to do for a game you don't want to watch? Are you tethered to your computer and plan on watching every second of the marathon or something?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Studio posted:

Heeheex2 is going to be at AGDQ for Glover, the reason you'd want to nix a game isn't to not watch it, but to put something better on.

A lot of runners don't want to see the game on the schedule since it does mean taking out five hours of other games, and I think Werster's self-made schedule puts it well(Windwaker is under bonus).

The 7 figures is overall money donated to the marathon not a specific donation incentive. Now it's not everyone that doesn't want to see the game there, but it's a significant chunk of runners from what I've seen. However a 5 hour bonus game is a bad idea. TWW might actually be good as a starter or a late night watch on an earlier day to kick into gear the marathon.

I haven't seen a 'significant chunk' of runners say this at all. Furhtermore, Cosmo has been getting ludicrous amounts of views lately; I saw him at 14k not that long ago. I think it's fair to say that he is the most popular runner by a huge margin, and Wind Waker, in particular, really will make a big enough difference in donations to offset any games that it might replace. I can see not liking the game or whatever, but thinking that other games deserve to be on there over it just blows my mind on so many levels.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PJ is running Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts again. You should watch because PJ is awesome and so is SGnG!

http://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Another World? Oh gently caress yes!

e: Little Nemo Dream Master? No One Can Stop Mr. Domino? Pikmin 3? This list is amazing. People complaining about Pokemon or Zelda must not be seeing the other kickass games we're getting.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 7, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PJ is on track to beat the current Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts WR!

http://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare

e: aaaaaaand he got it!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fun fact: Werster doesn't think Sonic 06 is a bad game.

Awesome fact: PJ has subscribers now :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

However, I have the feeling the only way it will truly be forgotten is if Wind Waker gets another chance in AGDQ and the run goes super good this time.

With Mirrored on the couch giving commentary.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

AHAHAHHA Gunner must be beside himself. 7 months of pain and misery and its beaten in a week.

The guy who should be most depressed is 5upamayne. He's been trying for longer than prolly anyone to beat Werster's old time, and now he has an even higher bar to get over. Poor dude :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Should be a pretty cool episode, but I'm kinda biased because I loving love SMRPG.

Mario RPG is the greatest game ever made, so be as biased as you drat well please about it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iastudent posted:

The Mexican Runner's visa for the US got denied, so no AGDQ for him. :(

~gently caress this country~

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FF1 is a cool speedrun because of the manipulation involved. But besides it and Super Mario RPG (which is also a lot different than other games in its genre), I can't stand JRPG speedruns. They're just dreadful. And that's even coming from someone who really likes a good JRPG, including some of the Final Fantasy games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Suspicious Dish posted:

How is SMRPG any different? Paper Mario at least has a lot of out of bounds skips and nifty tricks, but as far as I'm aware SMRPG only has Mack Jump.

Mario RPG is part platformer, and as a result it has a lot of precision moments compared to a standard JRPG. You don't need exploits for a game to be a fun game for speedruns.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I finally discovered how to enjoy JRPG speedruns: leave them on in the background while you do other things. I decided to check out Cereth speedrunning FF7 a few days ago and kinda just left it on while I played Xbox games, just listening to it and checking on it every now and then, and I'm doing the same thing now (as I try to get golds on all levels on hard in Catherine :argh:).

The fact that the FF7 soundtrack is absolutely goddamn amazing probably helps quite a bit as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

After watching IAteYourPie speedrun Mario RPG the last few weeks, I've decided to try and learn how to speedrun it. I understand that it's a really hard game to speedrun so I've probably chosen poorly, but it's also my favorite game ever made, so hopefully that'll let me stick with it and get good.

Of course I'm doing this before I've strung together a complete run of Rogue Leader like I promised myself, but oh well!

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 28, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I don't have enough intrinsic skill in most games to ever compete for WR's in anything except Ace Combat, Rogue Leader and other games of that sort. If I can get under 3 1/2 hours in SMRPG, I'll be happy. The first thing I know I need to practice is Super Jump timing; I got to 24 once but that's the highest I've gotten.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mike89 just took Sonic 2 WR with a 16:01!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heran Bago posted:

e: Oh I get it it's all about this Metropolis 3 zip. Ugh.

At least it isn't like Sonic 1 which is all zips, all of which are twice as annoying as that one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sessh, IAteYourPie and Countdown69 have been doing a SMRPG low-level race all day and it's one of the best things I've ever watched.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The best part is, it's 18 hours in and they are STILL GOING. I fuckin love me some SMRPG but I think I'd cry if I played it for 18 hours, having to reset a bunch for each boss encounter.

Actually Sessh looks like he's more or less at that point now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iPodschun posted:

romscout tried a low-level SMRPG run and I think it took him four days of on and off playing to finally finish it. It's insane. Didn't catch this race but I assume they're going to take breaks or go insane trying to finish in one sitting.

Sessh and Countdown forfeited, pie finished after 19 something hours.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My main fear is that this creates a rift in the community, regardless of what the contract actually entails.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nativity In Black posted:

Edit: Cosmo is talking a bit about this on stream right now and he seems to have legitimately not known what he was getting himself into.

Cosmo is a cool guy but he is extremely naive. Hopefully this deal does not gently caress him over and after the deal is over, he moves on and everything is good.

Personally I'm more surprised at Trihex and especially iateyourpie for agreeing to it. They never struck me as being anywhere near as gullible as Cosmo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Brett824 posted:

Trihex is pretty genuine and amicable but is somehow one of the most consistently hated people in this thread.

Yeah I've never gotten the hate he gets. The only complaint I have is that he likes Linkin Park v:shobon:v

It did kinda seem like he gave up on speedrunning for a while, but once he came back to Yoshi's Island, he has been putting in a lot of work pretty consistently. He probably just needed a break, because speedrunning at a high level is stressful.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 8, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Suspicious Dish posted:

To anybody who is listening: the issue with the showcase race wasn't the race. All of those things sound cool, and don't ditch the entire concept! I'd like to see it go on! It's just that Machinima's contract was a bit too controlling.

Yeah, exactly this. I completely and totally agree with speedrunners making money; as far as I'm concerned, they are entertainers who deserve some kind of compensation for doing something really well and providing a whole lot of people with something to watch, and the showcase races could be a great way to do that. Just not with the involvement of Machinima. The only problem is, I'm not sure if there's even a company out there that would or even could sponsor something like this that's any less awful than them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fleshweasel posted:

I don't know about y'all but it takes something really exceptional for me to be willing to watch a run of a game I've never played

Yeah, it's really hard to appreciate what goes into a speedrun when you don't know much about the game in the first place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Puta madre is 'motherfucker', more or less. No mames is basically 'you're loving kidding'.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dizz posted:

I love explaining what certain spanish words mean, because even though people don't know what it means, they know it's some form of expletive.

Like most people I know, I took Spanish in high school but only remember the expletives :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

pyromance posted:

I think this is probably TAS only.

Think for a second about the amount of tricks that have been discovered as 'TAS-only' that people figure out how to do anyway, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

heeheex2 posted:

Yea, that's exactly what it means. This is the lovely thing about having only 1 good streaming website, they can do whatever they want and there's pretty much nothing anyone can do about it except wait for hashd to un-die or hitbox to be not a scam :/

Well speerdunners seem to hold a decent amount of sway on Twitch, maybe if they raise a lot of poo poo about it, something will be done. I hope.

I'm not sure if they could even find another host for AGDQ, but even threatening to might be enough to undo this.

hitze posted:

How would they even feasibly enforce that?

I assume that for marathons, they'd have an admin watch the stream and shut it down if a banned user appeared on it.

Which would be hosed beyond all belief, but still.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

heeheex2 posted:

Yea, for example when dickoak was banned, a few days after he was in a mario party 2 tournament that was being streamed. Horror joined the stream and said either he had to leave or he would shut down the stream.

But would Twitch really do this for AGQD? I wouldn't put it past Horror, but I can't imagine the PR fallout would be worth it to the site overall.

• Locked thread