Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Why have I not checked into this thread before, since I'm a speedrunner myself? Going to be at AGDQ this year and oh god it's only about a week left until I fly out. Going to be fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MrLonghair posted:

Nämen hej Kenny ffs!

Try to bring some turkisk peppar or djungelvrål.
'sup, man. Long time no see. Again.

Bringing that kind of candy, heh... well, not the greatest fan of Turkisk Peppar myself, honestly. But Djungelvrål is nice, though I haven't had it in a while. And the new design on the bag is silly.

On topic: God loving damnit Bionic Commando Rearmed Area 10 is the biggest troll when trying to go fast. I have a recording of me loving that up so massively it's not even funny, and the same happened in the final stage, so I just stopped the recording. I might cut out the video for those two stages and upload because goddamn.

Until then you can enjoy this little reel of highlights things that happened to me during one of my past run attempts.

If you want to see me succeed at at least some stages, here you can watch the best attempt I actually have recorded... and since I'm an idiot, I didn't record when I actually got a better run. But I'm recording every time I play now and my goal is to have a run that gets sub-22 (my unrecorded best time is 21:59.56) on the ingame timer recorded before AGDQ.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 28, 2012

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I don't even do any sound mixing or stuff by myself, only use a mixer board when we're doing karaoke, but I still feel like I need that USB mixer board. How much is it and where do you buy it?

(also you should totally come and be our sound guy at ESA2013.)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 29, 2012

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm flying out in less than a week. That still hasn't sunk in yet.

Three end of year practice attempts at BCR all crashing and burning within the first five minutes. I'm totes ready!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Terror Van posted:

So i'm thinking about getting into speedrunning, and i'm just wondering what's recommended by goons in this thread for recording/streaming older consoles, specifically the SNES?
For anything using composite or s-video, a Dazzle DVC100 is a popular choice. It's what I use. Some people use an EzCap but I don't know a lot about that.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

wa27 posted:

I just route the audio separately to my line-in and it's much better.
Oh yeah, this is a thing you want to do even with a Dazzle.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

CVagts posted:

Can someone link to what you use to connect audio directly to line-in?
I just use a 2xRCA female to 1x3.5mm male cable.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, finding out that ingame timers are useless is always fun. Turns out the Bionic Commando Rearmed timer doesn't count map movement (which I assumed it didn't), and also doesn't count overhead stages (which I thought it did). So you could dick around on the map for half an hour and fight all the trucks ever and it wouldn't affect your final time on the timer at all. This is stupid and from now on I'm going to be timing all of my BCR runs manually. Figured this out when I was working on a route for a 100% run (which I think I've finalized now). Should be possible to go sub-hour on that, but I should really get an any% recorded first...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The big change is that since SDA started, capturing and streaming video yourself has become insanely much more affordable and possible for anyone with a decent computer. Back when I started speedrunning, the most common method to get a run on SDA was recording on a VHS tape and mailing it to nate for capturing and encoding. These days I have USB devices to capture composite and component and so can easily record or stream any console I own.

But it's true that SDA, as such, hasn't changed a lot since I put that first (and only) tape in the mail. There's been staff shuffling, and the verification process got a streamlining, but other than that, it's... yeah. The main issue for most people is probably the time it can take between the run gets recorded and actually posted on SDA, when streaming means it's available to the world immediately, and if people see you play live there's no real need for the verification process.

Even so, SDA and SRL are different animals that don't try to do the same thing as each other. SDA is a repository for downloadable high-quality videos of speedruns, SRL is a leaderboard for streamed races. I should probably actually visit the SRL IRC channel some time. Would have done that already if they didn't move away from the SDA IRC server (with good reason) and even though I already go to six different servers adding another one to the list tends to be like :effort: for me.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It can be fairly easy to trip people up with comments, too. When I was on the station during Castlevania, I got a comment reading "Fuc cancer". The donation filtering people didn't catch it, and my brain didn't actually catch up with what I had said until I had already read it because it didn't have the k so I didn't process it as a word I probably shouldn't be reading on a PG-13 stream.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, yeah, I'm Swedish so I just kind of tilt my head and go "Huh?" about what's actually allowed or not in those ratings. I know other people got a "gently caress" in here and there but I figured I'd better stay on the safe side.

Also, just noticed your avatar text, or what to call it. Star Control represent :respek:

And to make that relevant to the thread, my brother, in an e-mail he sent to me during AGDQ, mentioned Star Control 2, as that has been a favourite game of both me and him since ages ago, and implied he thought there should be a speedrun of it. I have entertained the thought, and I have seen both a realtime speedrun and a TAS of the game... and the problem with those are that while anyone who has played the game and know of its awesomeness will be impressed by them because it's not an easy game like that, but they're really loving boring to anyone who haven't played the game because I've come to understand that it's nearly impossible to understand the greatness of that game without actually having experienced it yourself.

Wish I still had that realtime run lying around somewhere but I don't think I do. Got it off the SDA forums and last I heard was that it had actually been submitted bbut was rejected because it was on The Ur-Quan Masters and not the original.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 23, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm going to stream a 100% Bionic Commando Rearmed practice run, and if I feel like it, a Scott Pilgrim vs. The World practice run with Ramona after that.

Watch it at http://www.twitch.tv/kennyman616 - starting in a few minutes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yes, it's from MLP. Not fanart, the character and picture are directly from the show. Can we drop that now, or at least be reasonable about it? Let streamers fill the blank space in their streams with whatever funny pictures they want.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Today I learned that "Runs that use glitches aren't legit!" wasn't the stupidest speedrunning-related argument I would ever have when someone repeatedly failed to understand why I would never be able to fit a first to ten kills multiplayer deathmatch in Goldeneye into my definition of what a speedrun is.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'd link you to the topic if I could, but it's on the not publically viewable ESA planning forum. But here's some choice quotes, all from the same guy.

"Marathons such as this one are by definition comprised of games & slots that range all accross the spectrum. SM64 120 star and Die Hard speedruns probably have less in common than a GoldenEye multiplayer match and an SM64 speedrun (in terms of type of skills required and entertainment value) so from where I am standing there should be no reason to draw an arbitrary red line in the sand."

"I don't want to sound too petty, but there is enormous variation in what constitutes a valid speedrunning category for a given game; in fact even what one chooses to define as a speedrun, is something that is by it's very nature arbitrary. There are no unbendable cosmic laws that state what a speedrun is and there certainly are non that state which type of events a marathon should be exclusive for."

Then, after I explain what I think a speedrun is...

"I still don't think there is a fundamental difference.
Illustration:First to 10 kills in GoldenEye is essentially a speedrun. The predefined goal of the game in that instance is to finish the target mark of making 10 kills as fast as possible (and before anyone else does). I am confident this falls within the boundaries of the definition you just posted." (hint: it didn't)

"In scenario A the game is beaten when all single player lvls are finished
In scenario B the game is beaten when player x has reached 10 kills

Now I assume from your reply you are not considering scenario B as "beating the game", because the behaviour of the human opponents introduces variation that makes the finishing times incomparable.
In that case you have to be consistent and rule out any game that has random variation in it. Complex / random CPU behaviour in the most recent single player FPS games would basically result in completely uncomparable times also, yet I have a feeling you would not be excluding those from your list, am I right? Now, such a stance, at the very least, has a degree of arbitrariness to it."

"The primary target is still trying to reach the goal, before others do (as that is when the game stops...you do not have a defined finishing point of success in holding your opponents back). So basically your opponent is still the clock and it ticks among other things through human induced variation, as opposed to just RNG variation. Human variation is effectively just a very complex form of RNG though, when completely boiled down to it's essence."

"As I've been arguing since the start, there is no such thing as a true speedrun. Not without including arbitrary conditions.
That's why I see no point in making the distinction and just go with the goal of showcasing high level play."

At this point I've pretty much given up on trying to get him to understand where he's wrong.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I actually already used the argument about making one player get all the kills as fast as possible. It didn't bite.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The European Speedster Assembly 2013 is official with dates and location and all that jazz now, for those interested. The only thing we have yet to decide (apart from the schedule of games, obviously) is the charity and we're currently discussing that over on the planning forum.

Yes, for those of you who have kept track of what's been going on with SGDQ, this means that with the current dates, SGDQ is the week right after ESA. We're marathoning the marathons.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

If you ask me, any run/dash button belongs on the left shoulder and nowhere else.

Constantly pressing aim down is a technique called arm pumping - every time you hit an aim button, Samus's position is shifted forwards by one pixel.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Just starting Bionic Commando Rearmed 100% - http://twitch.tv/kennyman616

Edit: Whelp that was a pretty lovely run.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 9, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ESA 2013 first schedule draft is now public. There's some changes to come, but you can trust most of this.

I was supposed to run Rearmed 100% since I did any% at AGDQ, but it's been bumped down to an any% to save schedule time. Might get upped to 100% again, we shall see.

To speak freely I'm not entirely agreeing with leaving San Andreas on the schedule since that's seven hours (and GTAIII and Vice City are also on the schedule - but the three are not in a long GTA block), though on the other hand I guess a seven hour San Andreas run would be more exciting than a seven hour RPG run...

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I want more details on that, frankly. Difficulty? Runner? I'd love to see someone school Hard mode quickly, I'd definitely watch that.
Neviutz is running it, idk what difficulty it'll be - in the game suggestion topic he wrote "normal/hard any%", and the slightly outdated public list of games doesn't shine any more light on the difficulty question. He ran it on last ESA with a donation goal for doing some part of the game blind, which I assume is happening this time too.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Eversion is listed as any%, so you tell me what ending that implies.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

loving... assballs.

So, there's this game called Ufouria (which is featured in my avatar). Old NES game by Sunsoft. Metroidvania. Longtime one of my favourite games ever. So, I speedrun it, and got a 41:40 any% up on SDA back in 2005. That run is poo poo and needs to be replaced. The other day I had a practice run that landed on 38:51. So today I decided to try and get a good run recorded. To go for it. Get the big one.

Started out with what began as a decent run, 30 seconds in the green after four splits, then pissed away all the time I had saved and promptly went ten seconds into red over the course of two boss fights. Somehow made up time and ended with a ten second improvement, 38:41. But that was a bad run so I jumped on it again, went green and then five seconds into red before making up all the time ever, getting lucky with health drops, being 58 seconds ahead on the second to final split. Had so much health that I decided to skip my safety medicine. This would be the run.

Of course I gently caress up a throw on the final boss when he has like 2 hits left, lose my rhythm entirely and die.

Kenny is not happy right now.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The /new doesn't even do anything anymore as the New and Improved™ design is the default now. Instead, you can tack on /old at the end of the link to get the old layout. Edit: Maybe I should look at the url in the image before I say things people already know.

Either way.

An easier to read schedule for ESA 2013 is now a thing, and things have changed a bit from the draft I posted a few days ago.

I also brought Bionic Commando Rearmed any% down to below 30 minutes (realtime because the ingame timer is dumb) today, partly thanks to that I've finally figured out the trucks. I only get two truck stages in an any% now, and I need to conduct experiments to see if one of them might be avoidable. (something's weird with BCR on the linked schedule because it's listed as any% but with the 100% time estimate, which I'm hoping means I actually get to do the 100% run at ESA after all. Edit: Turns out the listed time is the mistake, it'll be any%)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 14, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Finally, I got a new any% Ufouria run I'm reasonably satisfied with - 37:40, meaning a full four minute improvement on my run from 2005. I can maybe push that by another fifteen or so seconds given a few missed jumps in this run, but I'm encoding it and will look over it and decide if I want to try again a bit before submitting. But I really only wanted to do a new any% run to get rid of my old lovely run on SDA, the category I really want to pour my effort into is 100%. Going to try to get a run of that recorded in due time so that I can submit both at the same time.

And then get back to recording Bionic Commando Rearmed any% and 100% attempts.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

These loving splits.

Going to do a few attempts to see if I can improve my currently recorded Ufouria (aka "that one Sunsoft NES game noone knows") runs any, but if I don't get anything better by the end of the week, I'm submitting my 48:53 (100%) and 36:59 (any%). I counted roughly 45 wasted seconds in my recorded 100%, but on the other hand, I had quite good luck on that run - of the first five splits (first first split not pictured above), three are the only really random boss fights in the entire game, and they were all above average in the one I have recorded. The any% might be possible to push another 10-20 seconds or so but it already crushes my run from 2005 by more than 4½ minutes so yeah.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I... I'm literally at a loss for words right now. Was trying to improve my Ufouria 100%, had a good run going. And then, completely out of loving nowhere, the game forgets I've collected an item. Straight up forgets it. I've reviewed the recording, and it just disappears from the subscreen at a completely arbitrary point (and it's actually the point where I enter the subscreen right before I actually want to USE that item). It's the first time I've ever seen it happening. I was sure I had collected it, but I went back to the room where it was anyway (since I still had a point in the route where I passed right by it again)... and sure enough, the chest with the item had respawned. So I collected it again. This cost time, and a 25-second lead turned into a 5-second lead, to a penultimate split +1,7 into the red, and my final split being... exactly +0,0.

I can take it when I myself gently caress up and ose time thusly. I cannot take it when the game randomly decides to poo poo itself and cost me a 20-25 second improvement.

Just... just wow.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do you think this might be exploitable (memory shenanigans) or just a silly bug that happened because you went out of range or something? It might be the start of some brokenness.
I strongly doubt it. While it did happen as I was performing a glitch related to the item in question - there's four characters, each one has a secret weapon, but if you just have one secret weapon you can use a glitch which is as advanced as "holding the charge weapon button while you switch characters" to use the weapon of any character you have. This glitch is essentially what the entire 100% route is based on, and it's used in the any% run as well. I've played through the game using this glitch so many times and I've never seen anything even remotely like this. There was nothing else out of place in the run. The switch glitch is as advanced as exploiting bugs in the game gets, it's pretty solidly programmed otherwise (Sunsoft knows what they're doing).

It was straight up the game forgetting an item. I didn't do anything I haven't done a hundred times before with nothing happening. I guess I could upload a video of it happening to Youtube and throw it at TASvideos, though I doubt they'll be able to find anything.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So the good news are that I found a way to save three minutes in Ufouria, both any% and 100%.

The bad news are that it's a trick that you have one shot at pulling off right before the penultimate boss. So it should happen at about 30 minutes any% and 40 in 100%.

...yeah.

:suicide:

Edit: Okay, maybe it isn't that bad - through the wonders of practicing with savestates, I found a cue for when to switch. The key seems to be to hold right and A until the screen starts scrolling a little upwards, at which point enter the subscreen, switch to Shades and let go of buttons, and you'll drift across. Awesome. Any% should now be a sub-34 run and 100% sub-46.

(and here's a video of yesterday's bullshit)

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 25, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

UraniumAnchor posted:

The HUD is identical between the two so I'm not sure what Withhelde is getting at there.
The HUD is identical but it looks like the Genesis version has a taller screen (because it doesn't look like it's more zoomed in on Amiga), so there's more gameplay space in that version.

Compare Genesis to Amiga.

Edit: I'll say that I misread things though, from that tweet I thought Withhelde was the one supposed to run it, on the Genesis version. That's what I get for posting while I'm newly awake.

Brütal Legend is the game I'm the saddest about, but I probably won't be able to watch anything of SGDQ live since I'll be off at a con for a majority of that week.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 29, 2013

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, in slightly different news, my birthday's coming up in two weeks - and what better way to celebrate than with a speedrun stream? Actually, don't answer that.

Since my actual birthday is on a Tuesday, it's not going to happen on the actual day since I have class that day plus the weekly local geek meetup in the evening, so instead I'm going to do it on the Friday of that same week, May 17th.

To make sure it goes smoothly and not involve me going "Okay what should I do next", I've put together a small schedule for it. Tune in if there's something on there you like!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Nativity In Black posted:

Can you post a link to your stream? Google Docs wants me to install some poo poo before I can copy it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes it was easily available here in the thread.
Sure thing; http://twitch.tv/kennyman616

I've not been streaming much lately though as I've been working on recording submittable Ufouria runs, and I want to concentrate while I do that... plus I'm not sure how many people would be interested in watching me reset 10-20 times before even continuing past the first split. The button press secquence of * (reset wsplit) - Esc (stop recording) - F5 (begin recording) - reset NES - Start - Start&+ (start wsplit) is getting a bit old.

I'll post the link again a day before it's actually happening so yeah.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

BlueArmyMan posted:

I don't know about that; Werster, Klaige and Sinister seem to get plenty of viewers :v:
Yeah, but they run games people have heard about.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, small reminder that I'll be streaming a bunch of things at my channel tomorrow.

In other news I've been working on trying to eliminate a buzzing sound in my recordings, and was given the advice of using a ground loop isolator. Yeah, it ended up fixing my audio, all right... but caused the video to get hosed to oblivion. Lovely. I wanted to have it fixed before the big stream, but eh, it only affects the NES games and there's only two of them, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Definitely want to get it fixed before I record more NES runs, though.

Also, Greenalink found a pretty cool glitch in Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 yesterday. He promptly used it to beat the world record of a stage by fifty seconds. (not sure if that's in the recording, he just told me he did in IRC and I haven't seen the whole thing.)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I wrote everything I did in the thread on SDA, but people on IRC suggested it might have things to do with grounding (neither the NES or TV have grounded power plugs, though obviously they ARE connected to a grounded power strip) or "mismatched impedance" (which I still haven't figured out what it is). Maybe I need to use powered splitters. Or... I have no loving idea.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Uh, there's a difference? I have a yellow RCA cable from the splitter to the SCART and a white RCA cable from the splitter to the Dazzle. I have no idea about the ohms or anything about them, I thought all RCA cables were created equal and the only reason they had different colours were so you'd know which ends were the same cable when there were several cables bundled. I've separated this specific bundle into three completely separate cables, but still. I don't remember where they came from originally, but the two video cables and the one audio cable are definitely from the same set.

My specific setup is RCA cables from NES A/V inputs going into unpowered RCA splitters, the video being split between the SCART to the TV and the Dazzle video input, the audio being split between the SCART and the RCA to 3.5mm converter, which goes into Line in on my sound card.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Stream is live with the pre-schedule making sure everything works. Playing some Power Blade since I got that recently.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And that was that! Had fun, got a few viewers and followers out of it.

Will highlight a few things from it later. Especially one thing from that loving game (aka Scott Pilgrim vs. The World)

No PBs or anything, but I learned a few things to make use of in future practice.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So while I'm not sure if I'll ever actually pick up Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 speedrunning - at least, I won't until I'm "done" with BCR, and even then probably wait until Greenalink has made a run of the full game and then shamelessly copy his route but incorporate jumping (as he's said he wants to run it without jumping) - I did go ahead and find a way to use the grapple through floors glitch to break a world record by 22 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Dammit, Catherine seems to have been dropped. :smith:
Was Catherine ever actually suggested for SGDQ?

You might be thinking of ESA, which is the week before and where Neviutz is going to be running Catherine.

• Locked thread