Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Playaround currently has 20 submissions, if i recall correctly, compared to the hundreds of "standard" runs. I would consider some of the glitch runs to be more on the humorous side, but I think it would be cool if there were more runs specifically oriented toward showing off tricks and glitches, like the River City Ransom playaround.

Also, "contains speed/entertainment tradeoffs" doesn't necessarily mean it's a playaround run. It usually either means that the author used a password/skip to bypass a long and tedious section, or that the author decided to forgo a movement trick that spams an irritating sound effect. It generally just means the author took steps to make the movie watchable, which is totally welcome! But it doesn't really qualify as "playaround", at least in the sense that the tag usually implies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Liku posted:

I think I've seen this one, but god drat what the hell happened.

The short answer is that levels are loaded by "blocks" of code, such that one byte might equal a coin block, and another byte might be a bit of grass on the ground. Each tile is decided by the bytes at that position in the code.

Mario escapes the bounds of the level, forcing the game to load tiles from code that wasn't ever meant to be used in levels (or in that specific level, at least). It tries to load it anyway, filling the area with bogus sprites.

So what we're seeing here is Mario literally hacking into the game's code, where he proceeds to find the game end trigger and activate it.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

Cosmo just got 5:45:54.53 in Wind Waker, and thinks he could easily get 5:40.

gently caress you Shadow Ninja 64 and your tool-assisted posting.

Speaking of tool assisted: if/when somebody gets around to doing a Wind Waker TAS It's probably gonna be nuts

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
This is significantly more entertaining than I expected.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Octary posted:

I truly wish there was a mute button on UltraJMan. It would make the stream a lot more tolerable!

You're in luck! He's up next!

E: for real though don't nod off quite yet, I hear the bomberman race is going to be good

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The AngryScientist posted:

Wait, what's so bad about UltraJMan? I guess I can see why people wouldn't like his commentary, but he's not "Oh, UltraJMan. Better not watch this run".

Well he flies off the handle when things don't always go his way, for one thing

I mean I think Dragondarch's at least mildly justified for bein pissed after he died the room before a save after killing Nightmare, but he was upset within reason. jman looses forth the swears at the drop of a hat and is largely unpleasant on streams

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gilg posted:

Does anyone know what the "TAS demonstration" is in the marathon?

Last I heard, they were looking to set up the Gradius TAS on the nesbot.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I dunno, this stopped being speedruns and started being "four dudes play a game", which i dont really need to watch on stream to experience myself. I hope they start the castlevania block soon!!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w4qrXsEqcA

There's an interesting TAS run in the judging queue right now- a Super Mario 3 run that attempts to minimize buttons pressed instead of time taken. The strategies are pretty cool, and the ddr button sheet is something I kinda wish were included with every TAS video.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

yaoi prophet posted:

So when a TASer wants to do some luck manipulation, do they usually just play around with idle frames until the RNG gets in the state they want, or do some games actually use RNGs that are simple enough to allow analysis?

Some games have RNGs with stable number loops such that you will always get number X every Y frames. The Final Fantasy White Mage TAS is pretty boring, but the documentation on its RNG is pretty thorough. Apparently battle numbers run on an 8 second cycle, with level-ups being handled a bit more obscurely. The entire run in short: there's a nice little 00 nestled into the 8-second number cycle that the author uses alongside the Bane Sword to instakill every boss in the second half of the game.

Obviously most games won't be so easy to predict, so the method chosen instead is figuring out what actions can cycle the rng and then just doing that until you get an appropriate number. For example, in the Fire Emblem TAS it's possible to cycle through numbers quickly with abuse of the movement cursor, as seen many times in the run. The important thing to keep in mind is that most games don't cycle the RNG every frame unless they absolutely have to, as that takes up valuable processor space. So then the trick is finding the action that moves the RNG forward with the smallest number of frames.

Trawling through rng values is a pretty monumental task, especially when you need to do it on a frame by frame basis. A whole bunch of runners end up coding scripts that search through the RNG for them, to quickly find an appropriate set of numbers needed. This is probably most heavily evident in what I would probably consider to be the most technically impressive run on the site, the Shining Force TAS. There's obviously not as much going on at the visual end, but you can still probably appreciate literally every enemy attack missing and every player attack landing critical. And all level ups giving only exactly the stats necessary to defeat the later bosses using crits. And the ridiculous AI abuse used to skip by entire armies and snipe generals. It's a bit tedious in a few places, but I really didn't regret watching the entire thing.

i think luck manipulation is really cool and i wish more youtube encodes would include an rng overlay

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
It's a pity the sound quality has been garbage for the entire event.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Studio posted:

Oh god I can't help but be a dumb idiot in the Twitch chat, what have I become?

when you reach enough chat activity discussion becomes impossible and you really dont have to feel bad about posting a dog face every thirty seconds anymore

The marathon was good overall and had some high points, but the commentary from the super mario 64 race on was pretty bad.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
By the way, speaking of TAS runs:

OneEightHundred posted:

Welp, the Gain Ground TAS I'd been working on for a few months is now finished with an 11:40.57 clear time.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of submitting it right after they changed their acceptance policy to allow for any record-setting runs to be accepted even if the game was terrible, so it's mixed in with something like 140 runs (of bad games) exhumed from the rejection list. :downs:

I don't recall it coming up in discussion recently, so congrats on the publication!! And in moon tier to boot! :toot:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

flatluigi posted:

So what's everyone's favorite skip or trick they've seen used in a speedrun? My favorite thing when watching marathons is seeing all those little things performed in various esoteric games. I really liked watching the levitation trick in the Psychonauts run last year and immediately broke out the game myself to try it out (it's surprisingly easy).

Heavy luck manipulation that gets just enough items to finish a run is my favorite to watch. The Lower Norfair run in the Reverse Boss Order Super Metroid TAS is the best of this you'll ever see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tse9ytU3dA

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cubemario posted:

The biggest hurdle with Hotline Miami is how much RNG is at play. You can't guarantee the same weapons, or AI behaviour for any of the levels. Of course it's totally possible to run it, just impractical.

Weapons aren't actually a big problem in Hotline: Miami. There is a very small quantity of guards with completely random weapons, but most are designated as random(melee) or random(gun), and although the machine guns might be slightly more useful than the shotguns for speedrunning, it's almost certain that you could find a new gun within six kills whenever you need to.

usedpizza posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is an interesting one. There are some really really old runs on SDA including an all victims saved run (which sounds like complete torture to be honest.) An any% run would be interesting since you'd have to have a lot of the victims get killed. In fact that sounds really interesting and I might mess around with this game now.

I think a Zombies Ate My Neighbors run would be super cool. All victims saved might be difficult to swing because there's a level that is technically impossible, due to a pair of tourists placed well outside of your ability to reach them before they transform. If I recall correctly, the bizarre workaround is to load the screen with as many enemies as possible and then walk into range of the tourists, who won't transform anymore because it would exceed the maximum allowable number of enemy sprites on screen at a time.

With any% it's not that hard to kill all but one of the neighbors by the second or third level. The challenge comes from minimizing your score to avoid getting new neighbors in the level transition screens.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Studio posted:

Said I'd do Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, hope it gets in :3:

I would watch the hell out of this. It's already designed so that moving in the right way lets you dodge nearly every enemy bullet, so a speedrun would probably be fluid as hell and fun to watch.

Do you aim for the better ending, or just completion?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ptarmigans posted:

Seems to be a bit more info on it here.
if you start a game of superstar saga and then boot into and complete mario bros, does that count as a superstar saga speedrun? is the goal here reaching the credits screen for the same game you started playing, or reaching any credits screen as long as its a credits screen hosted on the rom?

obviously doesn't quite apply to superstar saga since mario bros doesn't have an explicit end screen that I can recall, but there are plenty of other GBA games with NES games hosted on the rom. maybe this is the future of corrupted data TAS runs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zereth posted:

That's pretty close to the ramp to get down. :staredog:

it's basically a Fallout 3 floor transition at this point

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
MSF is massively legit, but I am a little curious about what happened to the partnership with the prevent cancer foundation. did GDQ just outgrow them, or was there some kind of corruption scandal?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

eSporks posted:

Do we call this a Tool Assisted TAS?

this is done for a lot of TAS runs that require heavy rng or precise movement. the best example is probably the shining force TAS, which used extensive lua scripting to run through moves and rng paths to search for the best possible combination of critical hits for allies and misses from enemies to clear the game at maximum speed. The scripts aren't actually that complex, since it just needs to log numbers from the rng and then search for a string of numbers that the runner needs, but it can complete that kind of operation in hours where it would take weeks or months to do manually.

fakeedit: what i just described is brute forcing, which can be used for simpler rng chain manipulation. the shining force scripts were, uh, a bit more complicated:

quote:

I ended up writing 15 scripts to do this run, and regularly had 7 script windows open, to execute the various tasks. I'm going to discuss a few of the scripts I wrote here, and talk generally about how much Lua kicks rear end. This run would NOT have ever been completed without Lua. Additionally, all my code will be posted to the appropriate thread in the gens forum.

StartBattle - Generates the input to get the correct starting order for a battle.
BattleOrderExecute - Generates the input mid-battle to get the right next battle order
LevelModifier - Finds the characters level up, and then gives options that can be selected for the coming level. Checks to make sure the correct level up is found.
MoveChars - Inspired by XKeeper's moving mario script - moves characters around the battle field. Great for testing new strategies.
crits - Tells you the input required to get a critical,miss, double critical, etc.
gotarget - Tells the input required for a specific value of the RNG (defined in the script). This was used less, after I developed all the other scripts.
Spell - Brute forces a spell action scene. The RNG plays heavily into how fast these execute. I brute forced about 2-3K tries, and took the fastest one. Faster ones may be possible
dump - Dumps the current character positions into a text file. Good for matlab.

This may be the first run where a majority of the luck manipulation was done with a Lua. At least, it is the first where Lua's luck manipulation did not rely on brute-forcing, and instead on measurements and calculation. The first three scripts saved the most time. Generally speaking, using MATLAB or gotarget, takes about 5-10 minutes to get the next desired RNG value. This means that recreating a single battle with no changes takes a good 2 hours, and 3-5 if there are changes and tests. With those scripts, a battle reproduction could be done in about 30 minutes! Obviously, this means it was less cumbersome to check new strategies, try new ideas, and etc. Lua pretty much kicks rear end, and has been the best addition to the TAS community since emulation itself.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
all i remember about halo speedruns is some dipshit spent like four hours in a gdq halo 3 run dying about a thousand times in legendary

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Studio posted:

Different categories, though Pacifist isn't much slower because of the time saved at the final boss. Fastest IGT isn't Pacifist though because of the 3rd stage boss.

routing for level ups must be nuts.

also i love that daniel remar speedruns all his own games. is the iji speedrunning scene faster than he is?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Force streamers to duel to the death in a cage filled with swords and guns and other deadly weapons for the right to participate in the ultimate charity event of the half-year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

ColdPie posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that you have no idea what you're talking about.

mvp extremely hates the pcf but fortunately theyre the only person in this thread dumb enough to have that kind of viewpoint so its easy to tune out

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Rokstar posted:

Ah cool, Axiom Verge got in. It's a Good Game(tm) and the guy who developed it either is a speedrunner himself or very closely follows the community because it's got the most robust speedrun mode I've ever seen in a game.

the protagonist of axiom verge is king poo poo of neckbeard mountain but at least the hallucination scene is cool

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm excited for talos principle. there's bound to be plenty of ridiculous unintended room solutions. which ending is it going for, and is the dlc going to be run as well?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
rayman games are for people who dont want to admit theyre experiencing mid life crisis

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Dang, I want to watch this but a friend of mine says it's a great game and that I should play it. Would the speedrun spoil all the puzzle solutions?

lol

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

I was getting FLaiL vibes from that, which made sense as soon as I saw Matt Thorson's name on the main menu. he's really good at designing game around air boost mechanics

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it can be "inspired by" or "based on the true events of" or whatever you want but at the end of a day its still a game that plainly revolves around sonic ocs

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
let me be clear that i have nothing against freedom planet. lets just call a Jenny the Duck a Jenny the Duck, here

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yeah that's what brought it to mind. I mean when TAS input can implement whole other games in SMW, you start to think that maybe it could input something else that forces auto-scrollers to behave like normal scrolling levels for the rest of the run. And that would completely change how TAS runs of all-exits SMW get done.

lets do this just to bring all the rabid anti-rom corruption commenters that want to keep runs pure and clean out of the woodwork again

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
good news for that one dude in this thread who did a ton of celeste runs: it's being expanded into a feature length game

it looks pretty! and also looks like more classic matt thorson design

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i dunno a better term for game jam entries getting fleshed out. it's happening to Princess Remedy too

SeXReX posted:

Idk how much I'm supposed to say but i will say that I'm talking with matt and Noel and am already familiar with the game.

haha, i should have figured

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHwiIp4i5eA

pannenkoek has the heart of a true showman

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

I just got a new world record in Dragster, a time of 2.38. Please do not question this for at least 35 years, when I will submit Dragster as a suggested finale for AGDQ 2053.

verbal confirmation from activision employees or it didn't happen

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's plenty of games that have low score challenges as difficult or more difficult than max score. there must be an atari game on the boards that can be completed without scoring any points. i guess

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

XOIC of Radishes posted:

The beast at Twin Galaxies.

Todd, his eyes closed.

Dragster, its engine BLOWN.

lol

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Clitch posted:

I'm halfway through Belthasar and Straevaras' second game, and I can already post this with confidence as a supremely mean seed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokKxrlWGO4

this is my first time watching one of these. Is the randomizer smart enough to make sure it's always technically possible to complete the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Dizz posted:

Goblet Grotto speedrun.

• Locked thread