Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

All the reducing RNG changes and making the rando longer just mean it's a speedrunner game not a game for general audiences.

I hear FFV has a rando now.............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hyphen-ated posted:

It means a casual racer will win fewer races through luck. The author of the document is upset that they are going to lose slightly more consistently to higher-skilled players

This, pretty much. Every rando change (Except removing rando bias) has been to make sure the more vanilla-execution-skilled player will win more consistently; which if you want a competitive game is probably not actually good. Less skilled (or even different skilled) players should have a shot at winning.

If the person with perfect execution should win every time, just make a NMG hack with the few sources of RNG removed and have done with it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's an honest question :shrug:

If this is such a big deal, why has it only just come up, and only for LTTP Randomizer?

I think it's because the alttp rando writers have changed the rules of the rando several times since it became popular / was in a tournament.

Most of those times have been to make things better for established runners.

Also why add back in the RNG at all if it is bad? just keep the blue balls out and put the digging game and chest game back to the deterministic logic.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't give a poo poo about this community but they'd better have rules I agree with

You mean something awful or...?

:crossarms:

E: I tried to use a jaunty emoji to indicate I knew what you meant but was taking the piss anyway. It didn't work. :eng99:

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 25, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Studio posted:

Yeah this is surprisingly uncomplicated. Randomizer maker wants the randomness from decision-making and item collecting to be the biggest factors, not boss RNG that good players already have no trouble with and will very rarely contribute to a run. The randomness of "the loadout for the final dungeon will dramatically shift" is way more interesting than "seckswrecks blue balls"

Except we totally already took all this randomness out.. so let's put it back in but not have it as random because reasons?

Also Let's make it so items aren't COMPLETELY random so if you don't use the standard routing you're more punished.

Also let's put some softlocks back in for reasons.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Studio posted:

Softlocks are bad, but iterating randomness in and out makes sense because that's what iteration is.

But you aren't bringing the RNG back in you're just extending the already admittedly useless boss fights artificially? the RNG was already fixed, but now it's MORE fixed?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

None of you guys are funny. If you want to prevent cancer, consider standing out in front of the shuttle that is running in front of the hotel on the hour. Thank you.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

See I figured it would be at least %30 "Prevent Cancer/MSF is a SCAM and not a real charity because the people who run them have competitive salaries!!!"

MSF tends to get a pass because it misses a lot of the complaints leveled at PCF. OFC you're always going to have people who have no clue how these thigns work and wonder why it can't be some small charity without an operating budget. :iiam:

SeXReX posted:

Im a big fan of "anonymous gdq donations are a money laundering scheme"

I don't think they have a strong grasp on 5013c's or digital transactions

I feel like this is a huge giveaway that the complainant hasn't ever actually donated to GDQ. It's pretty obvious where your money is going when you do.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ramadu posted:

Honest question, why does it seem like the speed running community has a massively higher amount of trans people in it than any other community I can think of on the internet?

It's probably not that there are trans people but GDQ especially seems to create a space where it's OK to be trans, so people are more open about it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

What part of "spreading hate is not a way to grow" did you not grasp?

People (on Twitter) weren't upset at it being GDQ banned, people were upset she just casually threw out accusations towards Dan and then tried to move to get emotes she didn't like banned from Twitch entirely. What part of her response did you think was OK?

Again, not the point. You're mistaking everyone in the discussion as being the same people who were spamming it in chat. The chat spammers weren't the ones on Twitter going "Dan is not a bigot, trying to site-wide ban an emote you don't like is wrong".

Twitch doesn't buy into that line of thinking either, which is why ANELE and MingLee and TriHard still exist everywhere. Totally removing things just because some retards use it improperly is a dumb way to operate.

So, people WERE upset at it being GDQ banned.

Yes PMG shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about dansgaming based on an iguana and a emote in poor taste.
Going about trying to remove DansGaming as an emote is not really the right way to go about things.

This doesn't excuse nor justify people being lovely to PMG before/during/after.

EDIT: Why are we banning trihex?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SeXReX posted:

So what video games is everyone playing with a timer running these days?

Im stuck in limbo cause nothing is really motivating me right now

I've been thinking about trying to do factorio non-seeded runs.

THe seeded runs are boing and dumb and it's like that sim city run from a while ago minus any of the funny parts.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Worst case scenario they get ridiculous luck on their seed and have every major traversal item in five minutes.

At least it's Swordless or Open so we'll get to see some fun glitches

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

what if it's merely sort of ok

It's Andy and Chris do you think that's even a possibility?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

is there going to be a shitpost thread for hgdq? asking for a friend.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SeXReX posted:

The 'thon should have just been dragster attempts for 3 days tbqh

Dragster for Hope 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_the_Chuck_Wagon

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SeXReX posted:

I'll keep that in mind next time three thread spends 3 pages talking about how lttp rando should be the finale of every gdq

I mean you could spend the next three pages talking about how lttp rando needs to be the ultimate game for all gamers and should not bu judged at all.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Swilo posted:

Now for the shitshow of people to whine about how he did it on emulator instead of hardware, it was an input recording, human element, etc. Darbian should get his own soon, he's been going at it hard.

Yeah I can't see TG accepting that score. Which is a real shame, though all those "how many records do you have?" idiots kinda have to eat their words now. (Not that they will)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

iirc, Omni made a post on TG stating there were (paraphrasing from memory) "millions of different combinations of button presses to get 5.61", and also that it's a 1/8 chance of the game being on the right whatever when it starts to have 5.61 inputs give a 5.57

e: p sure I misread your post, ya I think you're right.

FWIW Omni or another one of the decompilers has later disproved this. It is possible to get a 5.57 on all the start frames (though some frames are still "faster" the game timer won't show the difference IIRC)

EDIT: Did Jace say anything about TG posting Omni's time?

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 12, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Lynx Winters posted:

That's Triforce, a known scam artist in the FGC for years.

How much do you think Triforce wants for his "proof"?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

zallard1

You are A meaningless to gaming

quote:

World Records:

Punch-Out!! (Arcade) Single Segment in 2:32
Super Punch-Out!! (Arcade) Single Segment in 3:15.49
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! Individual Levels in 13:57.60
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) Single Segment in 2:43.37
Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) Individual Levels in 2:16.81
Punch-Out!! (Wii) Full Single Segment in 22:27.45
Punch-Out!! (Wii) Individual Levels in 19:50.76 (I have 19 of the current IL times; not all of which are WR's)
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! Single Segment in 2:02.81
Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! Individual Levels in 2:01.97
Splatterhouse (Turbo Grafx-16 version) in 13:02
Splatterhouse (Arcade version) in 13:46
Splatterhouse 2 in 15:56
Contra 4 co-op Hard run w/ Mr. K in 24:13
Star Fox 64 100% in 1:18:51
Breakfast Brawl in 1:16

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What constitutes Star Fox 64 %100, all medals?

Speedrun.com posted:

- Get the scoring medal on each of the 15 planets (requires at least two resets).
- Play on Expert Mode.
- End the run by beating the game.
- Timer starts when you gain control in Corneria and stops at the final hit on Andross or when you leave the tunnel (which means, when you lose control over your arwing).
- Turbo Controllers are banned.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The New Speedrun Thread - I have gained the critical extra second by refusing to have fun

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

re: the ignoring non-speedrunners thing, do you have any hobby or field in which you're particularly passionate about but there are a lot of people who have kind of a passing interest but like to make passes at talking about it that belie they don't actually have that strong of a grasp of the subject matter?

Welcome to the Internet(tm) Please enjoy your stay.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I agree, something about the custom sprites just makes it all seems very cheap and reminds me of those dime a dozens sprite hacks in games you used to come across in the old rom-hunting days on emulation sites (if u don't own this post pls delete within 24 hours)

Some of the sprites are OK, but some of them are just bad (plus does Andy really need his own sprite?) Also I like open mode less than "normal". Also there's just way too much of it. They are in round 3 of like 6 rounds of swiss then they cut to top like 64 or something then it's going to be bracket style. also progressive items and putting blue balls and teleporting back in were the worst things to happen to rando.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I know, right?

i'm utterly floored that randomizer seems to have gotten an universal pass from the angry mob but the loving tutorial is catching poo poo

i don't get it, I'm mad about both!!!

I mean. alltp rando is hot trash but sonic fan game commentary is super good and never refers to games people haven't played and is relevant to every person listening. Glad this has been worked out.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

this feels like an attempt at a burn but I totally don't get it in that context

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/918869092609744898

please link a gdq in the last year where a FP commentary hasn't referred to a previous fp commentary. TIA.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ok now I'm actually confused. You're gonna have to spell it out for me because I don't know what this has to do with Rando or Mania or the tutorial or anything I'm posting about.

You seem to be saying: "Every alltp rando needs to appeal to the widest audience possible" but "Sonic fan games (which I commentate) are aok every time". even if they select a target audience which is small or selective.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So I've been watching Questing for Glory and various other marathons...

How do we get the speed running community to stop doing that "joke" where they pretend like they don't know what's going to happen next? Do I make a pastebin or?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

We do not want to set a hard limit on the human element, so we will individually judge and discuss if enough human element is used, or if more is required. Just use human element and you should be good. If there's complaints or remarks about scores or judging we will be sure to ignore them and continue to repeat the same information for months before everyone loses interest.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SeXReX posted:

Just caught some Russian guy who previously "ran" exclusively mobile games and Barney's Hide and Seek trying to pass off someone else's run of celeste as his.

maybe next time try re-uploading someone else's video of a game where we can't access the source code to know that the snow particles, balloon spawn location and background cloud size/locations are all random. Even if you want to believe him making all the same exact mistakes was just him leaning too far into "copy WR strats" that's entirely damning.

Have you maybe considered the human element?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Infected posted:

But let's get back to people doing things they don't enjoy. Like jenja23 attempting a solo relay of Breath of Fire 1 through Dragon Quarter this weekend.

Is this like when Highspirits tried to do all the DQ games and then fell asleep in the shower?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

It's weird how much y'all are stretching what he said lol

IDK I think "No and you're an idiot" is pretty much the most common response to anything in this thread.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Most people commonly believed to be banned never actually did anything banworthy,

Well most people commonly believed to be banned are not in actual fact banned so I'm not sure what your point here is.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

unless you time pokemon "wrong". then you can burn in hell.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

they were in on the joke.

OK I'll say it.

"Ha Ha threats of violence are SOO FUNNY" just isn't really that amusing, especially in this day and age. I don't care if you don't think I'm cool.

vvv edit: I'm not dragging this out wtf??? what is this post?

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 16, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I used to think all these assholes on IRC (I'm old) were being Ironic about being racists sexist assholes (Isn't it so funny someone actually thought this? lolololol)...

Turns out I was only about half right.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

how much time do you have to spend in the shower to avoid using shower-skip? Or are we just going to judge videos and feel if you are using shower skip?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Touhou actually has like, three good speedgames in its series, they're just the spinoff games. Double Spoiler even got into a GDQ and then the runner dropped out.

Wasn't Shoot the Bullet at GDQ once? And ESA has Touhou sometimes.

Suspicious Dish posted:

stepmania was really bad

It's me, I'm the one with bad opinions, but I never like Tetris block, and I didn't like stepmania when they did it. But I admit that tons of people like it so I can't scream for it to be removed (Though blowing your setup estimate by like 45 minutes each time is kinda obnoxious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Not as far as I know and I genuinely don't recall ESA having any Touhou runs either.

I ctrl+f'ed my way through the ESA schedules and ESA had exactly one fangame run this year but otherwise hasn't had An Actual Touhou.

I was thinking of JRTA for some dumb reason.

• Locked thread