Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Darkoni posted:

Looks like the SGDQ list is finalized.

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/all

Does anyone know how to narrow this list down to just the accepted ones? I'm prepared to feel dumb, but clicking on the Accepted button under the legend doesn't do anything in any of the browsers I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Eonwe posted:

i dont know about popular opinion just that I think he is a big dickhead

I didn't really mind him until he gave the big speech after taking second in one of the GDQs then was super rape-y towards his girlfriend ("tell me you love me")

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it was really weird and given caleb + the way he was saying it (plus had to say it multiple times) it just came off like he was about to hit her any second there if she didn't say it quick enough

Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer--he brought his girlfriend up front with a microphone where she was clearly uncomfortable and just stared at her until she said she loved him back. I think it was from AGDQ 2015 if you want to look it up, it was really creepy.

The next GDQ where he was onstage (I think SGDQ 2015?) they pretty deliberately shuffled him offstage before he could say anything.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

argondamn posted:

last gdq goons were making GBS threads themselves saying caleb was gonna propose after the mmx race and how awful he was for doing that, then there was a short interview like they have for every runner and nothing happened.

but the real reason goons hate him is because his gimmick was streaming shirtless

Hurgh goons fat etc etc

What runs are y'all excited for? Schedule's here now: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Most anticipated for me is DMC 3/4 followed by halfcoordinated doing Transformers: Devastation. I hope the devs are going to call in again for Battleblock Theater too, the guy who did the voice acting was really fun.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

What are the speedruns worth watching? Not clicking SA's AGDQ thread cause it is always a dumpster fire and this time I stayed out of it completely :hfive:

The only ones that I caught that I thought completely owned were Shovel Knight dlc race, Spelunky and DKC1/2.

I was looking forward to Bloodborne but it was Bloodboring!!

Halfcoordinated was great again playing Transformers Devastation.

Splatoon was surprisingly good, I had no expectations going in but wound up really enjoying it.

Super Mario 64 120 Star was surprisingly close, but might be a bit long if you weren't super into the game as a kid.

Kaizo Mario Bros 3 was amazing, and Super Mario World 0 Exit was hard to believe.

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal was surprisingly good.

Heard good things about Talos Principle but haven't watched yet.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Just caught up in the thread and just wanted to lend my two cents. The bloodborne thread sucked dick because the dude just basically used cheat codes to cheese all the bosses and wasn't even very good at the bosses. It reminded me of the RE4 NG+ run where the dude just blew up everything with the rocket launcher for 2 hours.

I remember that RE4 run. I was looking forward to it because the game is really interesting but that category was so godawful boring.

Agree on Bloodborne. It seems like a harder game to run than its predecessors since there isn't a reliable cheese build like arcane in Dark Souls 1, but it would make a great marathon game since there's so much potential for clutch bosses (or just making GBS threads the bed completely)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

flatluigi posted:

The concept of it is fine and I'm glad it exists but it's become the de-facto charity for just about every game-related fundraiser and a large percentage of that money would be better served being put towards actual care and not just distractions.

To add on to that, children's hospitals already do earmark funds for entertainment. I view Child's Play as more of a PR effort on the part of the Penny Arcade guys than anything.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Eonwe posted:

i guess im saying if you can raise money with twitch, cool, but please have something else in your life going on for when your twitch popularity bubble inevitably bursts (if you get popular at all)

I don't know, I could see the marketing skill you would have to pick up to stream for a living parlaying well into a lot of careers. Obviously you're not about to get hired to advertise for a bank but it's not like internet culture is some huge unknown anymore, it's not 1998.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I was wondering if I had missed something that there was a marathon being run by and starring Chibi that people would want to participate in or watch. But apparently the whole thing exploded and the twitch account deleted so that seems about right I guess.

Was Chibi the one asked to shut up during a Tomba run on a GDQ a couple years ago?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Bloodborne is such a great game it saddens me all the speedruns of it suck and are mostly load screens.

You mean at GDQ? There are some great runs on speedsouls, and I believe all current categories forbid save/quit.

http://speedsouls.com/bloodborne:All_Bosses

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i just don't get why it counts or why they decided to do it. the door animation is the same for everyone isn't it or is it based on your computer. if it's th esame for everyone saving and quitting is stupid.

the most bizarre speedrunning thing to me is how the guy and the couch couldn't pronounce wario correctly in last year's warioland 4 agdq run.

It resets mobs when they do it, so they can use riskier strats and save/quit to get rid of whatever's about to kill them.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I just watched this and it completely owned, thanks.

At first the chinese commentary annoyed me but it turns out most of his rear end in a top hat clenching moments defied all language barriers.

Distortion2 and Santzo, #s 2 and 3 on the leaderboard, are both English-language if you prefer that. You probably wouldn't see anything new though, saw cleaver is the only route. Distortion's also the DS3 record holder

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Renounced posted:

Just wait until 3 months from now when they s&q to save IGT while flasking.

Save/quit was done in Bloodborne too until some time around when The Old Hunters was released, although the PS4 load times being so bad meant it wasn't done quite so often. I have a feeling it'll go away, but I've definitely been wrong before.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Dude I would prefer to never think of him again if I could help it, the poo poo he's been doing is completely one-sided and masturbatory and I've basically stopped posting in this thread in hopes that it'd stop (it hasn't, and every one of the rare times I do post the guy pops up and does the same old poo poo)

I really should probably just unbookmark the thread and just cross my fingers really hard that it'll stop happening, but it's my main and almost my only source of non-GDQ speedruns and I don't really know what else to dig around in to find cool new speedrunning events.

edit: yeah this'll be the last time I say anything about this, sorry

Post what you want man, who cares what some creep has to say about it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

All you guys bitching should just watch that sick as hell Bloodborne all bosses +dlc run posted for me a month or two back. Just read my posts in this thread until you hit it. That's seriously one of the best runs of anything I have ever seen.

Has that dude beaten that run since? He prob shouldn't cause he almost gives himself no less than 6 heart attacks throughout. drat that run is good.

No, that WR still stands. Most Bloodborne runners moved on to Dark Souls 3, so it might stand forever barring a huge route change.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Oyster posted:

I regret to post that Samantha and her family will not be attending SGDQ. Her condition has worsened quickly, she's moving into a trial next week, and we're dealing with a very serious HIPAA breach. She still wants to go for a day (basically to meet Half) but that isn't looking feasible, especially given that it's a 16 hour drive.

I'm still considering going myself because I could benefit from some time away, but I also don't want to leave her family at this point. I need to look up the hotel's cancellation policy so I know how long I can procrastinate that decision.

Still, I'd like to thank Half, Studio, and the people who have expressed support for her. I've shown her the posts and PM's and it's wonderful to see her smile like that. This really is a great community.

Truly sorry to hear that. Can you elaborate on the HIPAA breach? Just wondering because I'm in a related field, but I understand if you can't or don't want to provide details.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Steve Holt! posted:

Hello lovely people, if any of you want to go down a rabbit hole of AGDQ/SGDQ VOD viewing, I made a site just for you at http://gdqvods.com. It's browsable by event, genre, runner, game, etc so it should be pretty easy to find something to watch.

This is great, thanks for putting it together!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Booourns posted:

Do you have any proof that it's mostly 18-30 year old males that watch? Maybe the people running it actually know who is watching and are trying to make it a more friendly event to people that aren't adult males.

Twitch viewership for sure skews younger than 18-30, younger viewers just don't have money to donate and have a harder time travelling.

Santzo84 took back the Bloodborne all-bosses WR by 6 seconds about a month ago: https://www.twitch.tv/santzo84/v/82910692. Haven't gotten there but he says he loses it a little at Ludwig, so viewer beware.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Been watching Highspirits' Dragon Quest 8 WR in bits and pieces, after seeing a few mentions in the thread: https://www.twitch.tv/highspirits/v/88180698

I genuinely have no idea how he's so patient. There's a part of the run where he grinds metal slimes for 2 hours in a row.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Right, because making GBS threads on someone for reacting when called out for no reason is a stellar contribution.

For content, Distortion2 keeps breaking his own damned record for Dark Souls 3 All Bosses. Closest competition is a full minute behind. VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHkAAzzhCaE

He has a ton of goofy runs up too on that channel if that's more your speed. He's a little less scream-y than he used to be.

Pretty sure he makes a living playing Souls games at this point

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

eonwe posted:

I remember it, such a good time

I dare say I've never heard so many people chant about hugging a goat.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

eSporks posted:

I love the juxtaposition between him an blueglass. The inappropriateness of his behavior is completely lost on Blueglass as he cheers for the jumping jacks, but Blueglass is just so innocent and cheerful. BG is having fun but never tried to steal the spotlight the same way as that guy. They are the Yin and Yang of social awkwardness.

That's the guy who tweeted about bringing condoms to *GDQ right? (In the video, not BG)

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Aurora posted:

At least Patty on the couch was on the couch for a few runs this time

What ones? Always down for a Patty party

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
So a speedrunner (SimpleFlips) raced 10 YouTubers playing co-op to 70 stars in Super Mario 64.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnTMxFPTS5A

There's a lot less shouting over each other than you'd expect from the setup, the YouTubers really do play to win.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Aurora posted:

posted on the same page my dude

Oops, didn't see it in the midst of the Sonic discussion :shrug:

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

????: Does anyone actually want to watch WC3 human campaign only? I mean I love the game and replayed it fully last year but 'one campaign' seems like a really weird and unsatisfying category. That said, I dunno how it is as a speedgame but hopefully it'll be decently fun since it's got a metric-ton of micro potential.

Someone ran the Night Elf part of the Frozen Throne campaign once at a GDQ and oh boyyyy was it boring.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Its probably either Jedi Knight, Outcast, or Jedi Academy. All of which you should check out because the game engine is broken and runs are nutso.

I'm pretty sure it's not Outcast, since the boss kills in that are a little more mundane. I think it's Knight but agree completely that you should just watch all of them.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

axeil posted:

hey anyone know when they're going to put the harvey done quick stuff up on youtube? i wanted to show my buddy the lttp rando run from it as i thought they did a good job showing it off for a first time audience but it's nowhere to be found. :smith:

gdqvods.com has links to all the Twitch VODs with time stamps, if that could work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

AF posted:

Thanks! Oh, hey - CavemanDCJ is an interviewee in this one. I like the guy.

Any time he comes up I think of the classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H50nqenYMDM

• Locked thread