Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

eSporks posted:

I just logged into runnerguys stream and he is bitching about someone donating 2 dollars. Calling them a worthless piece of poo poo, and wasting his time because its all going to get eaten up in pay pal fees. I don't know if this a joke or what, but its weird. I have never seen runnerguy get mad at anything that wasn't zelda.

That guy needs to go back to math class if he thinks 36 cents eats up 2 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flatluigi posted:

The tech and knowledge required to make a tool-assisted speedrun is legit pretty interesting and I actually wish there were more TASers that streamed their work and how they experiment and figure things out

The problem is 90% of their streams would be retrying the same 20 emulator frames for 8 hours straight

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I love all of the versions of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 for speedruns. There are so many weird level/physics glitches to abuse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cubey posted:

Why do carts that have been used tons and tons mess up like that? Will I someday be unable to play Link to the Past anymore? I don't want that to happen at all :smith:

The metal contacts slowly wear away. In theory, you could replate the contacts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crotch Bat posted:

Child's Play would have been an amazing charity in the 90s. It's 2016, literally every kid in this country has some form of mobile gaming available to them like a DS or their phone or tablet.

Honestly no, especially if it's some kid whose parents have been racking up thousands in medical bills for their condition.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alabaster White posted:

Aren't the characters literally repurposed Sonic OCs?

In that the entire game was originally just another Sonic fan game that was going to be called something like Sonic Battle For Freedom, yeah.

Very much like how 50 Shades of Grey is a Twilight fanfic with the explicit Twilight stuff removed so it would be easier to publish.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

No.

If Freedom Planet was ever a sonic fan game it didn't stay that way for any real length of time and while it was initially made on an engine typically used for Sonic fangames, it's kinda been its own entity from the get-go.

(also i have no idea where you're getting this name from, if that's accurate I want a source because I am a huge loving dork who wants to know all he can.)

Well it was a Sonic fan game when it first started. Also I said "something like that" because that wasn't the actual title, just along the lines of what the real title would be.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hey my typing of the dead IL got verified

ayyyyy

thank you Rokstar for reminding me this game exists

Nice work, dude

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

halfcoordinated posted:

rdein (the lead developer for momodora) actually asked me if I would be requesting pun donations again as well; I'm honestly not too sure this time. I love puns if that isn't obvious, but I'm not sure what you'd even pun about other than the game's name. This is also one of the most difficult if not the most difficult speedrun I've worked on, and requires more precision and focus on my part. I want to keep the tone lighthearted and fun, but I have a lot to think about this time as far as presentation goes- it's a very different game from Vanquish and Transformers.

Taking suggestions now, what should I have as the donation incentive for me to hold in my right hand?

A right foot

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Megalixir posted:

It takes effort, I'm not doubting that, but it's hardly viable. Unless you have a subscriber count of 400+ at all times it isn't comparable to employment (or even welfare in most countries). I've had this told to me by actual partners, who technically can't reveal figures but once Twitch, and PayPal and Amazon take their cut, a $4.99 monthly subscription is more like $2.40 to the actual streamer. That's $240 per week on 400 subscribers p/m, lower than minimum wage in most countries. You're also not going to get 400+ subscribers. This means that the whole partner thing is just a small bonus, and the bulk of money comes from real donations (and via PayPal there's a 4.8% transaction fee, every time), the partner thing just being a perk of being popular. Having said that, it's not really viable to start streaming and expect people to simply give you money, especially when it's so commonplace now.

If you can't make a living off of it, it doesn't really matter what it is. Again, I'm not against full time streamers but you can't just go "okay, I'll become witwix" and expect to live off streaming for the rest of your life, it's not viable.

In other words, it's like trying to make a band work as a full time job. Most of the time you're going to need another job to stay alive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I find "I'm not against full time streamers" hard to swallow when it was preceded by this

I'm not talking about whether or not it's logistically viable or not, because it obviously only rarely is, I'm talking about the idea that it's somehow not a real job even if you could in theory get people to pay you to do it. Isn't that like..exactly what a job entails?

that ain't workin / that's the way you do it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beep by grandpa posted:

I had to bail on this about 10 minutes in. I've liked their vids in years past but it looked to be the same dull looking oob bunny hopping I've already seen time and time before with perfect execution and tight bounces, etc but now it's just almost entirely oob bunny hopping and that just didn't grab me at all. I know they're not cheating but the execution is so perfect it just looks like someone effortlessly noclipping through the world through most of it so I lost interest.

I really liked how they successfully cut out most of the Black Mesa East cutscenes, honestly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Do you think it'll ever be possible for Super Mario World TASes (or other platform games with autoscrollers) to find a way to disable autoscrolls so that all exits run can be sped up significantly?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baram. posted:

tasbot has shown they can do exactly that, though.

Yeah that's what brought it to mind. I mean when TAS input can implement whole other games in SMW, you start to think that maybe it could input something else that forces auto-scrollers to behave like normal scrolling levels for the rest of the run. And that would completely change how TAS runs of all-exits SMW get done.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Don't forget that a lot of games re-released on the Virtual Console emulators tend to be ok for records (sometimes intheir own categories) even when other emulators aren't allowed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The 2016 Doom any% run is now down to 1:12:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd04twsxosc

The first run that was out after the game came out was about 6 hours, and that was like 2 weeks ago

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Are there good youtube versions of the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle 100% run you're talking about?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Amppelix posted:

Talon has a youtube but hasn't posted anything in over a year. Here's his latest PB as a twitch highlight though: https://www.twitch.tv/talon2461/v/64371586

Thanks for the link!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Full Circle posted:

You can buy an SSD for less than the price of a new game these days, it doesn't even seem like an unreasonable expectation anymore.

Be that as it may, there'd still be time differences because of having slower versus faster SSDs, people with different memory timings, different GPU RAM stuff and so on. It's simply a mess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tengames posted:

I like how a SSD is unreasonable but for some speedrunners( and sgdq runs)buying the Japanese version of the game, a japanese console to play it on, and learning japanese/memorizing commands however, is.

edit: since different load times wouldnt be much different for a console version and primarily only on pc, who are the people who can afford a pc strong enough to play the game and record it, buy a game at new or near release, but absolutely cannot pay for a small SSD?.

Again, just buying "a small SSD" is no guarentee that your load times are going to be comparable to the other players.

If everyone buys a Japanese console and a Japanese copy of a game for that console, it's the exact same game and the exact same hardware and there should be no load time differences.
If everyone buys an SSD, the 10 other differences each computer has from each other still affect load time even with the hard drive/SSD disparity removed. And the SSDs are still going to have differences, because they come in speeds where one drive can be as much as 3x or 4x faster as another SSD is.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dizz posted:

There's a loving nethack TAS?

Yeah, the emulators for DOS PCs allow input files and rewinding etc these days. So you can TAS DOS versions of Nethack.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kennel posted:

Here's some reading material:
http://nethack4.org/pastebin/turnbyturn.txt

40,000 words

Not sure if that's the latest version.
e. probably is, since it's linked on the podcast page.

What I love is that with all of that written, they've only explained to like 3/8 through the playthrough.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

To further illustrate my dumb point and also post speedruns, here is a speedrun I learned literally over the course of about 4 hours.

WR is like, 14 minutes something? S'alot fuckin easier to get within two minutes of rekky in this game than it ever was in freedom planet i'll tell ye that much. Also, Sonic R is perversely amusing in a way I find hard to articulate, chill speedgame.

What version of the game does it usually get run on? Saturn? Original Windows PC version? Sonic Gems Collection on the GameCube/PS2?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh. Huh.

Well fine, Chex Quest 3 then since that includes some redone versions of 1 and 2 supposedly

Not redone, they're the same levels and graphics, but configured such that you don't need to run multiple executables with different configs, you select them as you do the episodes in regular Doom.

It does look nicer by default because it's distributed with a modern Doom source port that doesn't only run at 320x200 like the original, but it's the same assets etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FillInTheBlank posted:

Does anyone know if the "Sony BRAVIA KDL22PX300" AKA the TV that had a PS2 in it is any faster/slower than other PS2 models?

It was known to have more problems with the optical drive up and dying than regular PS2 models did, but should otherwise play games just the same. Can't use the hard drive option with it, if you're considering games that needed the hard drive, so there's that too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SeXReX posted:

various models of ps2 have differing hardware configs that make them do things like load games at different speeds, which can be a big deal when it comes to speeding. I'm sure someone knows which model is in that tv, or at least would know a way to check.

Oh if you mean like that, it's essentially the SCPH-9000x hardware otherwise - the last PS2 Slim revision. So that'll depend on how the SCPH-9000x models did.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beep by grandpa posted:

Can someone explain the barrier skip I've never played WW

There's a barrier in-game that prevents you from getting to the Hyrule Tower unless you've done a bunch of the intended sequence of events in the game. Barrier skip is simply, getting around it, and it's been a goal for a long time because the stuff you need to do to get around it the right way takes hours. The area you get to after the barrier is very close to the end of the game.

The barrier area is basically the blue shaded region on this image, if you've tried to get in it in the past before this skip, it would bounce you back out:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

why do the japanese have onomatopoeia for everything.

English does too, go read some dumb comic book sometime.

Most of those Japanese onomatopoeia come from the same sort of place, it's not like people are walking around talking about all these sounds in normal conversation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

Look at the fanbase for longer than ten seconds.

This applies to like 60% of the popular speedgames to be honest. The rest aren't popular enough anymore outside of speedrunning to have a notably weird fanbase.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGames posted:

Could someone please explain this to me? This post was reported and I would appreciate some backstory first.

He's bragging about being involved in twitter drama.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

FWIW, I think I want to do another speed run next month since I'll have a few weeks off. I'm trying to find another spectacularly awful game that no sane person would run it. Right now, I'm looking at terrible pre-Doom FPS for possibilities...

The thing to do is not to look for pre-Doom FPSes, but FPSes that came out after Doom and yet don't stack up. Like any of the games built on the Pie In The Sky 3D engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the_Sky_(game_engine)

Or Life's Battle, which is a Christian "FPS" with very little actual shooting, but a lot of weird puzzles to prove how much you love the lord or something: https://web.archive.org/web/20010202144800/http://www.hummersoftware.com/BATTLESH.EXE
The old sa front page review goes over a bit of it: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/lifes-battle/1/Obviously it's DOS so you'll want to use DOSBOX.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that why? I thought they just decided they didn't want to take the time to implement, not that it wasn't actually possible on certain models. Is there a good postmortem of Stop 'n' Swop?

Strictly speaking it was possible on all models of the N64. The problem is that earlier models gave you a consistent couple seconds to do the swap, but with later models you might only have a second or less to do that - and you can't expect say your 10 year old target customer to be able to handle the swap in time. Hell, even an adult with great reflexes and preparation might not be able to do it in time.

And honestly even on the earliest models with the most time to do the swap, it'd still be pretty difficult to accomplish successfully.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TeaJay posted:

I don't want to watch that because I've never seen Catechumen, it's gonna be on AGDQ and apparently it's really good.

You should watch the 2013 SGDQ Catechumen run to be honest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eHDzwyMnU4

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's a contract? I didn't know it was so official.

It makes all the legal/regulatory issues with collecting millions of dollars easier when there's a contract laying out the terms across multiple years.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aces High posted:

Anything in the realm of jak and Daxter this time around?

They did Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy on Friday, if that's what you mean.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is there anyone that streams making TASes? I'd be interested in seeing the effort that goes into making them

Some of the people on the tasvideos forum post when they're going to stream: http://tasvideos.org/forum/

You'll have to search around, as most of them only do it on special occasions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Some of you should speedrun the Advance Wars games, they don't seem too active these days

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've heard people say the new Zelda game might be good for speedrunning since you barely need to do anything to get to the point where you can try to defeat the final boss, even though a normal player might take dozens of hours to get upgrades and poo poo to make the fight fair.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ranter posted:

Surprising given how terrible Zelda games have been for speed running historically.

Yeah, the new game explicitly makes itself into an open world sort of thing where once you clear out a short opening area's stuff you can go directly to the final boss skipping a bunch of health upgrades/weapon upgrades/etc. No more dungeon progression to unlock a magic wall around the final boss or whatever like most of the 3D Zeldas have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Studio posted:

Well if you look back at Skyward Sword...

Or Wind Waker.

• Locked thread