Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
give me a bazooka that launches lanterns that attach to wherever they hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Remember, we almost had dirt slabs. Imagine a worldgen that used them, and you could just run up and down hills.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's fine for your campaign but I want to step up a whole block, not generate more granular half block details and their too-long stair cases.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
They should add climbing mechanics to the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they should add the Worms Ninja Rope to the game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
minecraft is actually perfect for worms gameplay and yet?????

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kamrat posted:

They have, it's called a horse

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eric the Mauve posted:

ah, you mean the Infrequent Leather Receptacles

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Remember, we almost had dirt slabs. Imagine a worldgen that used them, and you could just run up and down hills.

One thing I've always wanted was to be able to use a shovel to dig away layers of dirt, sort of the opposite of how you can build up snow layers to get arbitrary 1/8th block heights. I've never even seen a mod attempt to do this.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Eric the Mauve posted:

Since when can you climb walls with a horse

Edit: I mean proper climbing, like in veloren

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 30, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Why did they decide against dirt slabs? That seems like a fun idea for a lot of reasons

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I forgot there was a horse.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Install Absent By Design for dirt slabs, and socket some gems into your boots that increase your step height. Or build some Mekanism Free Runners.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kamrat posted:

Climbing is strenuous and it will deplete your hunger bar.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've played a number of modpacks that have step height increases and it's so good to be able to just run up 1 block heights without thinking.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kamrat posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

they should add the Worms Ninja Rope to the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVs3eeybqc8

Every cool thing you can suggest be added Minecraft has already existed for five to ten years.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

pseudorandom name posted:

Every cool thing you can suggest be added Minecraft has already existed for five to ten years.

Non-euclidean physics?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

pseudorandom name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVs3eeybqc8

Yeah but then what's the point of discussing anything at all, might as well close down the thread.

No reason to get upset penguins didn't make it into the game, it's already there in a mod, no reason to complain about phantoms, you can just mod them out etc.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Phantoms can be disabled without a mod, incidentally.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Modders won't make datapack versions for real Minecraft so most of em just don't work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

/gamerule doInsomnia false

Phantoms aren't aware that I exist because I have a Phantom charm on my charm belt, although I tend to go through charms quickly when I'm killing Epic Phantoms in the end for the loot drops.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Having a craftable charm that takes up space in your inventory that prevents undead mob spawns would be neat. That way you could still have phantoms (or zombies or skeletons) for the materials if you want, but don't have to worry about them after become able to craft the charm.

If only phantom mats were actually useful for anything.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just Andi Now posted:

Having a craftable charm that takes up space in your inventory that prevents undead mob spawns would be neat. That way you could still have phantoms (or zombies or skeletons) for the materials if you want, but don't have to worry about them after become able to craft the charm.

OK, but what if you had head, neck, belt, back and ring slots?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Each limb of your character should be a thing you can equip and change and craft. You should also be able to fling all your limbs at enemies and they boomerang back on, like Plok.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Just Andi Now posted:

Sounds good Jensen. Get it added to the pile and in 6 months we will vote on that and two other potentially good ideas.

In the meantime get back to work making villagers useless, right now theyre useful and it means people are enjoying the game. Also the big boss wants more mountains so see if you cant tweak the overworld generation again

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I tried to be sensible and use the up-to-date game and modern mods but they made my PC struggle (I tried to address that with Optifine, but I'd get a crash on world generation if I installed Optifine and I didn't read of any incompatibilities with mods I was using, so I'm not sure what was going on there), so I'll stick to janky beta 1.7.3 mods haha. It's a shame that there's no easy mod for backporting nice things from the later updates. (A few of the "beta expansion" mods do that but they usually come with other baggage. This one might be the closest to what I want but it also throws in some random stuff that I don't think I particularly want. It's stuff like this that's making me want to just make my own mod to add a few new block types and call it a day...)

edit 2: Solved my performance problem, apparently MC was being limited to only 2 GB of RAM? Maybe it was from the MultiMC launcher and not a default setting. Increasing the limit did the trick. I'll see if I'll want to go back to beta after a while.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 31, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ZeusCannon posted:

Sounds good Jensen. Get it added to the pile and in 6 months we will vote on that and two other potentially good ideas.

In the meantime get back to work making villagers useless, right now theyre useful and it means people are enjoying the game. Also the big boss wants more mountains so see if you cant tweak the overworld generation again

"I already added the logic to have them find the nearest fall that will hurt them that they can hit over and over, and then just gun that poo poo until they all die. What else do I have to add?

Oh, maybe I should have them start getting into arguments and beating each other to death."

(gently caress me. After I typed that all out, I realized that would be a hilarious mod.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

"I already added the logic to have them find the nearest fall that will hurt them that they can hit over and over, and then just gun that poo poo until they all die. What else do I have to add?

Oh, maybe I should have them start getting into arguments and beating each other to death."

(gently caress me. After I typed that all out, I realized that would be a hilarious mod.)

Ok, but what if after they trap themselves in a hole underground, they become cannibals to survive?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Legitimately would be.

We need the GTA chaos mod for minecraft.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to play Lockout (the mod YouTuber SmallAnt commissioned) with some friends, and cannot for the life of me figure out how modern MineCraft works. Everything keeps trying to sell me something.
The mod is here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lockout/files/4655896
Whenever I try to get the mod, some nonsense about CurseForge is forced upon me. So fine, I do that, but then I don't have a server. I tried doing all kind of things, with all kinds of "Forges". All the websites I look at don't seem to support this mod. And running the jars gets me exceptions or Plugins(0).
I've searched up and down, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how this works? What am I missing?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Shadow0 posted:

I've been trying to play Lockout (the mod YouTuber SmallAnt commissioned) with some friends, and cannot for the life of me figure out how modern MineCraft works. Everything keeps trying to sell me something.
The mod is here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lockout/files/4655896
Whenever I try to get the mod, some nonsense about CurseForge is forced upon me. So fine, I do that, but then I don't have a server. I tried doing all kind of things, with all kinds of "Forges". All the websites I look at don't seem to support this mod. And running the jars gets me exceptions or Plugins(0).
I've searched up and down, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how this works? What am I missing?

Your best/easiest move would be to install the Prism launcher, click Add Instance and search Lockout on Curse.
This should install Forge and everything you need, though you will have to supply your Minecraft login info the first time.

If you need more help try the modded thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954051&goto=lastpost

You would still have to deal with/find a server or whatever past that though.
This just makes it easier to install.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 10, 2023

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Your best/easiest move would be to install the Prism launcher, click Add Instance and search Lockout on Curse.
This should install Forge and everything you need, though you will have to supply your Minecraft login info the first time.

If you need more help try the modded thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954051&goto=lastpost

You would still have to deal with/find a server or whatever past that though.
This just makes it easier to install.

The server is 99.999% of my problem though. I'll ask the modders then, thanks!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

You need to set up a client and possibly a server (not sure how this mod works on LAN but it says it needs a server so Ill assume you do)

Client:
You and your friends need to do this. Curseforge is part of Overwolf and is generally considered lovely spyware, but if you want the simplest setup you want to use that. Otherwise, use prism launcher for a smoother non spyware manager.

For both of these, you want to find the create instance option and make a fresh 1.19 instance. There will be an option to add forge during the creation process, pick the indicated stable version. Remember which version it is.

You now have a separate installation of Minecraft with forge. Find the folder it's installed in (the software UI should be able to bring you there) and it should have lots of folders like config/coremods/mods/saves. Drag and drop the lockout.jar file into the mods folder. It doesn't seem to have any dependencies so it should be now be installed for this version of minecraft.

Server:
You need to do this.
Remember that version of forge you installed? Go here and download the corresponding installer for that version: https://files.minecraftforge.net/net/minecraftforge/forge/

Pick the install server option. Go to where you installed it and run run.bat or run.sh depending on what OS you're using. This should create a bunch of files that looks similar to the client version.

Edit eula.txt from eula=false to eula=true. If you think the server needs more RAM edit the user_jvm_args.txt file, it should have a line that says # -XmX4G. You can just remove the #.

Put a copy of lockout.jar in the servers mod folder. Now you can run run.bat/run.sh again and it should make a window pop up with your server if it's windows or just start spamming text if it's Linux. Your server should now be joinable. You should be able to join it using your local IP and walk around. Once you've joined you can give yourself moderator powers by going to the cmd box that popped up or the Linux terminal and type op your_username. If your friends are on LAN you are done.

If not you need to do port forwarding which tbh I have no idea how to do, the port should be 25565 though. Then your friends can connect to your IPv4 address.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Hi goons, apologies if this has already been posted in a bug report; I've been scouting the internet for a solution but have not come across one yet...

My daughter has minecraft, pocket edition (android) installed on her tablet. I have parent permissions set under google play to allow her a fixed time limit (otherwise, as kids go, they'll be on it all day). We've had it for about 3 years now without any hitches or issues, and I've even set up a homebrew minecraft linux server on an old laptop.

Recently, around October, we've been getting the dreaded "License Error".
"We're having trouble verifying that you own Minecraft on this device. Make sure you have downloaded and installed Minecraft from the store. Or simply reconnect to the internet and try again".

Both accounts (from Google Play) are in good standing (mine and hers). She is connected to the internet, and can download minecraft legally from the store on her tablet. I have no problem running minecraft PE on my phone (on my own account). I do have a pi-hole running, but it isn't blocking any of the servers minecraft needs to connect to. Just to be sure, I reached out to Google play and they confirmed her account is in good standing, and completely disabled the pi-hole.

The recommendation I was given was to wipe, uninstall, reset and reinstall (cache, data, and anything else in the directory) from her tablet. Unfortunately, I still get the same error. In the past, it worked.

Unfortunately, the error message is incredibly vague. Can it not ping the server? Is it a security token issue? Can it be more specific so that can assist me in troubleshooting?

The other major problem is this - I didn't have the foresight to root her tablet before I got it. In minecraft pocket edition, you have the option to save worlds either under "Application" or "external". Unfortunately, I was only able to save her worlds that were previously saved under "external". Anything under "Application" could not be accessed, as I couldn't get into the application to convert them.

Apologies if this has been pasted before - another reason for me to upgrade to platinum.

(The *ONLY* thing I can think of, is that this happened recently when I had to reboot our cable modem - I wonder if that, given that I have a different IP from me to my DSP, could that be some... weird,.. reason?)

Anyhow, thanks for any advice or suggestions. I'm in the process of reaching out to the mojang bug tracker and have reached out to their Discord, but Goons in the past have been *way* more helpful with some obscure things like this so I'm hoping I might luck out!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just saw this and I was hoping someone can explain the mechanism of how exactly someone made this. is this possible unmodded, using only a command block? is that how powerful command blocks are? to me it looks like it's taking a bunch of smoke, rain, etc particles, recoloring, repositioning and animating them into a dance number(the music is layered over the top of the video), is there more to it than that or is this just something that's possible in vanilla minecraft with enough insane dedication?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhotujrJqE

if this is indeed something that vanilla MC is capable of, I think the top comment is right on the money.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm no redstone engineer, just copy tutorials, but my guess is just a couple of Redstone circuits hooked up to a netherite anime dance block.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You can make almost any block into an entity and scale/move/rotate it to basically make any 3d object you want (until you start lagging out the game from too many entities). This guy uses a lot of that in his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wRFaM7KKmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMx63AJShLE

There's probably scripts out there to turn a blender model into a command you can paste into a command block.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

How long ago was 1.20.2? Seems wild that no one figured this out until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQ02pZJwU4

tldw: Calibrated sculk sensors can detect when a villager "shows" an item to the player when the player has the corresponding trade item in their inventory. By locking out all but one trade, this means a villager can create a signal whenever a player enters a 3 block range and has line of sight while holding that one item. There are two main downsides: villagers won't do this at night, and there is a 1 second cooldown on the sculk sensor. And I guess the additional downsides of having to keep the villagers within line of sight, and having to work with getting villagers into a specific location in general.

And of course it's got me thinking of other applications. The 3 block range + line of sight restriction kind of make it difficult to have more than a handful of selections within a small area, but there are quite a lot of items villagers will buy from players, so the number of options you can get is probably bigger than an inventory. Shepherds alone can buy all colors of dye and 4 colors of wool, most ingots and minerals have a trade somewhere, butchers and fishermen buy a lot of different kinds of items, farmers buy pretty much any growable crop, etc.

My main related idea is using this for some kind of item retrieval system, perhaps tied to farms. So you'd have items sitting in item frames corresponding to the items to retrieve, for example lime dye = sugarcane. Grab the item, wait a second, put it back, and then a shulker of sugarcane gets delivered.

Is this massively more complicated than having a button that can do the same thing? Absolutely. But I think there's room to grow the concept; for example, you can create a redstone signal of arbitrary length (>= 1 second) as long as you hold the item; moreover, I think you can make this work with two items simultaneously by holding one in the off hand. So maybe with crafters, you could hold a red dye until the system spits out as many firework rockets as you want.

Also extending the concept for rail systems, you could have a destination-based junction system across multiple junctions by having multiple villagers per junction able to trigger the same output - if there's a central station on the server with main lines going north, south, east, and west, you could have 4 different trigger items for the west output, and then another junction far away to the west could send the player in 4 different directions from that junction based on each of those items. So you hop on a minecart at spawn and can choose from one of 30-40 destinations and ride all the way while AFK.

Unfortunately the villager requiring line of sight kind of puts out any ideas of using them for a security system, like for hidden doors, since a villager head poking out of the ground would be a dead giveaway.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GTWScar/status/1743041274343776507

I'd assume that most people who follow Minecraft are also familiar with Hermitcraft, GoodTimesWithScar, and his cat Jellie. She was even immortalized in the game as one of the skins you can get for cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Jamesman posted:

https://twitter.com/GTWScar/status/1743041274343776507

I'd assume that most people who follow Minecraft are also familiar with Hermitcraft, GoodTimesWithScar, and his cat Jellie. She was even immortalized in the game as one of the skins you can get for cats.

Aww gently caress :( Poor Scar.