Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
A freebie on the Minecraft marketplace today where you get to play as animals.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/planet-earth-iii-perspectives
https://twitter.com/MinecraftMarket/status/1747320106575630677

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

What, no vote?
It took them 6 years to come up with a skeleton version of the Drowned.
https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1757801059764912506

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
They're more like poison Strays, which predate Drowned by three versions, but since Strays barely ever spawn I don't blame you for forgetting they exist.

(The same goes for the Husks, which were also added in 1.10 and are equally as forgettable due to only ever spawning in deserts.)

I like the idea of elemental variants of mobs but they really need to be more common. I guess the trial chambers will help with that, because the only reason I now remember that Strays exist is because they show up fairly often in those.

Edit: Except Drowned. They don't need to make Drowned more common.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 14, 2024

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Strays and Husks are just a skin swap that does a debuff. They don't even have different AI or anything. You could pump out a dozen variants or one for every major biome in an afternoon.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Different variants on drowned would be neat too, there's already different temperature ocean biomes. Husks could be put on savannas too. IIRC biomes already fall into a cold<>hot and wet<>dry alignment chart so there's not a lot of reason to not make them different. Creepers could have different explosion effects. Could also add more variants on passive mobs. Phantoms could just go away forever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Add mermaids and give us mermaid tails.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Drowned are unbelievably loving annoying and make it practically impossible to do anything underwater in or anywhere near a river. So now I'll never be able to work underwater in swamps either, hooray, thanks Microsoft!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just disable them imo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Just disable them imo

Yeah obviously. But, like, this is the poo poo you've been working on the past 6 months??

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Drowned are unbelievably loving annoying and make it practically impossible to do anything underwater in or anywhere near a river. So now I'll never be able to work underwater in swamps either, hooray, thanks Microsoft!

they are the worst thing minecraft has ever added. as someone who loves building underwater they are absolutely intolerable horse poo poo mobs.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah obviously. But, like, this is the poo poo you've been working on the past 6 months??

I mean the trial chambers are actually shaping up to be pretty cool so far, and that's been in the last 4 months or so. I know it's cool to say that they never add anything good to the game and don't do anything, but honestly most of the 1.21 content seems pretty great so far.

To clarify, I don't necessarily trust them to balance the spawn rate of the bogged properly, but I do at least appreciate that they have a lower firing rate and are more fragile; it at least means Mojang's thinking about keeping them manageable in the long run.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I feel like drowned would be fine if they could only spawn in a water column with a zero light level bottom block, so you could at least spawn proof effectively.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I think they'd be alright with different spawn conditions like what you describe along with a reduced spawn rate, as well as maybe just not spawning holding tridents at all. Keeping them away from me isn't too bad, but getting forked to death from 100 blocks away is bullshit. The fact these they're the only source for tridents is also complete nonsense, given that they're the primary aquatic mob you'd actually want to use a drat trident against and they barely ever drop the drat things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Another viable idea would be to just not have them be in the game at all, because they are poinitless bullshit.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Autocrafters in vanilla are a good change, at least.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i like how tridents get a damage bonus against the fish you kill in one hit, dolphins, and guardians

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fortis posted:

I mean the trial chambers are actually shaping up to be pretty cool so far, and that's been in the last 4 months or so. I know it's cool to say that they never add anything good to the game and don't do anything, but honestly most of the 1.21 content seems pretty great so far.
My problem with trial chambers is the same as my problem with woodland mansions and spawner dungeons and stuff like that. So many additions these last several years have felt like adding extremely rare content with no way of tracking it down that you just have to sort of stumble on. Random, super infrequent, and limited points of interest instead of adding things people deal with in everyday play. I know the game has to have stuff to be worth finding, reasons to explore, but every update there's new uncraftable stuff and hidden PoIs and it pulls further away from the self sufficient crafter angle that hooked me in the first place.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vib Rib posted:

My problem with trial chambers is the same as my problem with woodland mansions and spawner dungeons and stuff like that. So many additions these last several years have felt like adding extremely rare content with no way of tracking it down that you just have to sort of stumble on. Random, super infrequent, and limited points of interest instead of adding things people deal with in everyday play. I know the game has to have stuff to be worth finding, reasons to explore, but every update there's new uncraftable stuff and hidden PoIs and it pulls further away from the self sufficient crafter angle that hooked me in the first place.

I'm not sure what the rarity is, but they seem pretty common to me. They're definitely more common than the mansions, which I agree are complete bullshit. I never really considered dungeons to be too uncommon, myself, but they are a huge pain in the rear end to find if you're actively looking for them.

All I really know for sure is that every time I've played with experimental settings on, I've been able to find trial chambers down in the deepslate layer without really trying. They seem to intersect caves a lot due to their size, so it really feels like they're not that much of a chore to find.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Just disable them imo

Having fun with Minecraft is off-topic for this thread, we do that in the Modded Minecraft thread.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just watched Xisuma's snapshot update to explain the details with the Bogged skeleton and if he's quoting correctly I'm actually pretty okay with them adding this. According to him, the trial chambers were previously spawning skeletons with poison arrows, but the community suggested they should be their own type of skeleton. I guess the strays in the game already shoot slowness arrows? So it appears that Mojang agreed with the public opinion on this one and added it.

Of course, that gets into the whole discussion about them not adding tons of other requested features but I don't feel like diving into that can of worms so I'll just say that I don't really mind this addition at all.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A retextured skeleton with different HP and different arrows isn't a new feature, the engine already supports everything to implement it.

They question is why haven't they done that for literally every mob.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Please be considerate when complaining about the pace, quality, or design of their updates. The developer is a real person and they have to make everything by themselves using a computer inside Minecraft. You couldn't do any better under those constraints.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Khanstant posted:

The developer is a real person and they have to make everything by themselves using a computer inside Minecraft.

That would certainly explain a lot.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

A retextured skeleton with different HP and different arrows isn't a new feature, the engine already supports everything to implement it.

They question is why haven't they done that for literally every mob.

Please don't give them the idea to make nether variant creepers and phantoms.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Just Andi Now posted:

Please don't give them the idea to make nether variant creepers and phantoms.

I actually think phantoms work a lot better as Nether-only spawns. The Incendium datapack/mod adds a biome to the Nether where phantoms can spawn naturally and it’s actually pretty cool. Due to the Nether already being what it is, it doesn’t feel particularly out of nowhere to have some undead manta ray shitbag swooping down at you, and it’s nice to have a way to collect phantom membranes while still having doInsomnia set to false. Also, to reiterate: they spawn in exactly one biome that is by no means the most common one. If they were more common it would be awful.

In contrast, I did once try a datapack that added charged creepers to the Nether and I do not recommend that one.

That being said, honestly, everyone should check out all the Stardust Labs datapacks. Terralith, Incendium, and Nullscape are a lot of fun and add some really great worldgen without even adding any new blocks or items (Incendium has weapons with custom effects but it’s just datapack shenanigans). They’re available as Forge and Fabric mods, too. Highly recommended.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

That being said, honestly, everyone should check out all the Stardust Labs datapacks.

Absolutely. Add those and a shader and you've got gorgeous realistic looking worlds. The vanilla biomes sprinkled in look like hot garbage in comparison.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do they publish what shader/texture pack those shots are taken with? Because that looks rad.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Do they publish what shader/texture pack those shots are taken with? Because that looks rad.

I'll take that as a compliment because those are my screenshots :v:

Texture pack is straight vanilla, shaders are Complementary Shaders - Unbound

e: Entirely unrelated, but you know what would be useful? Making it so that Conduit Power prevents drowned from spawning within its sphere of power. The "two hearts damage every 2 seconds within 8 blocks of it" is absolute bullshit for the effort required and everybody loving hates drowned.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 22, 2024

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1765775352880607440

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So is it a choose one, dumpster 7 deal or did they mean to only show things they will deliver?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Minecraft Different Wolves Update lookin' great!

Edit: I'm ASSUMING you forgot to post the link to the poll? We only get to have 1, right?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Pretty sure we get all 8.
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/new-minecraft-wolves
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-snapshot-24w10a

"Because today eight new wolf variations are coming to testing in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition beta and preview AND Minecaft: Java Edition snapshot."

"Pale Wolf - The familiar Wolf variant that now spawns in the Taiga biome, with a default pack size of 4
Woods Wolf - A variant that spawns in the Forest biome. This will be the dominant Wolf variant that you will be able to find in the Overworld, since the Forest biome is very common
Ashen Wolf - A variant that spawns in the Snowy Taiga biome
Black Wolf - A variant that spawns in the Old Growth Pine Taiga biome, in smaller packs of 2 to 4
Chestnut Wolf - A variant that spawns in the Old Growth Spruce Taiga biome, in smaller packs of 2 to 4
Rusty Wolf - A variant that spawns in a new location for wolves - the Sparse Jungle biome, in smaller packs of 2 to 4
Spotted Wolf - A variant that spawns in a new location for wolves - the Savanna Plateau biome, in larger packs of 4 to 8
Striped Wolf - A variant that spawns in a new location for wolves, the Wooded Badlands biome, in larger packs of 4 to 8
Snowy Wolf - A variant that spawns in the Grove biome. A rare type, that always walks alone"

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 7, 2024

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh joyous rapture!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

They're getting ready to commit their annual line of code!

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

I am very happy about a dog update! Although I don't usually play on the snapshots so I guess I'll have to wait until 1.21 eventually comes out. (Those new copper and tuff blocks are mighty tempting though.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
until they make the dogs not kill themselves on the regular I will not care for any dog updates

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I believe in recent snapshots the dogs now have double health and the armor completely negates all damage the dog takes until the armor's durability depletes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Have they considered making the dogs not walk into lava or cactuses or off cliffs?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
How long ago were wolves introduced into the game? It took them this long to add in different colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
people seem really heated up about this addition! it would be cool if someone were to take their outrage and channel it into some sort of technical mod full of what you wish was in the update instead, maybe call it 'superior to canids'...