Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How does a LAN modded minecraft server work? I'm currently playing on a computer with ~16GB of ram and right now minecraft has 5GB of ram allocated to it. Is that enough for a LAN server for 2 people? I've got nearly a hundred mods so I'm not sure if I need to set up a third computer to "host".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I've been trying to play Lockout (the mod YouTuber SmallAnt commissioned) with some friends, and cannot for the life of me figure out how modern MineCraft works. Everything keeps trying to sell me something.
The mod is here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lockout/files/4655896
Whenever I try to get the mod, some nonsense about CurseForge is forced upon me. So fine, I do that, but then I don't have a server. I tried doing all kind of things, with all kinds of "Forges". All the websites I look at don't seem to support this mod. And running the jars gets me exceptions or Plugins(0).
I've searched up and down, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know how this works? What am I missing?

You need to set up a client and possibly a server (not sure how this mod works on LAN but it says it needs a server so Ill assume you do)

Client:
You and your friends need to do this. Curseforge is part of Overwolf and is generally considered lovely spyware, but if you want the simplest setup you want to use that. Otherwise, use prism launcher for a smoother non spyware manager.

For both of these, you want to find the create instance option and make a fresh 1.19 instance. There will be an option to add forge during the creation process, pick the indicated stable version. Remember which version it is.

You now have a separate installation of Minecraft with forge. Find the folder it's installed in (the software UI should be able to bring you there) and it should have lots of folders like config/coremods/mods/saves. Drag and drop the lockout.jar file into the mods folder. It doesn't seem to have any dependencies so it should be now be installed for this version of minecraft.

Server:
You need to do this.
Remember that version of forge you installed? Go here and download the corresponding installer for that version: https://files.minecraftforge.net/net/minecraftforge/forge/

Pick the install server option. Go to where you installed it and run run.bat or run.sh depending on what OS you're using. This should create a bunch of files that looks similar to the client version.

Edit eula.txt from eula=false to eula=true. If you think the server needs more RAM edit the user_jvm_args.txt file, it should have a line that says # -XmX4G. You can just remove the #.

Put a copy of lockout.jar in the servers mod folder. Now you can run run.bat/run.sh again and it should make a window pop up with your server if it's windows or just start spamming text if it's Linux. Your server should now be joinable. You should be able to join it using your local IP and walk around. Once you've joined you can give yourself moderator powers by going to the cmd box that popped up or the Linux terminal and type op your_username. If your friends are on LAN you are done.

If not you need to do port forwarding which tbh I have no idea how to do, the port should be 25565 though. Then your friends can connect to your IPv4 address.