Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?
Okay, I have a major problem that I'm hoping to get help with. Yesterday I am able to play Minecraft normally. Today however, suddenly gives me the "Bad Video Card Drivers!" error right after I log in. Specifically it's telling me it can't find the accelerated OpenGL. My drivers are up to date according to my computer, and nothing's changed between yesterday and today. I can't even grab the error report because Windows automatically closes the program.

For reference, I have an HP Pavilion dv6, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card (the one that came with the laptop).

I'd appreciate any help I can get at this point. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?

Boat posted:

That should at least give you the error report to work with.

It wouldn't let me use it through the Run prompt (a command window would open and close immediately). Running it through cmd itself gives me this:

cmd posted:

16 achievements
151 recipes
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.ja
va:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:262)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:716)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.ja
va:52)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:294)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:716)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don't know if that helps in any way.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

pylb posted:

I think the HP dv6 has switchable graphics, just in case, have you tried both the ATI Radeon and the integrated Intel ?

I wasn't even aware that I had anything other than the ATI; nothing else is listed on my computer's device manager. How do I go about switching the graphics?

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

pylb posted:

By default, it uses the Intel chip if I'm running off the battery and the discrete card when it's connected. Installing the official Catalyst drivers disables the switchable graphics though, you need to use HP ones (rarely updated) or modded ones.

There's the rub; I have the official Catalyst drivers, yet I've always had them, and as I said before, the game ran perfectly yesterday.

I scoured the Minecraft forums, and found what might be the source of my problems, but not the solution. Basically Open GL is running from the integrated graphics card you mentioned before, and that's not suitable for Minecraft (my integrated graphics use version 1.1, while I'm told Minecraft needs 2.0 or higher).

My problem becomes how do I get it to detect that I do have a graphics card (the ATI one) with viable Open GL capabilities?

EDIT: In case anyone doesn't understand what I meant, I'm not the greatest technologically capable person out there:

Minecraft will only register the integrated graphics card with outdated Open GL.

Yet I have a graphics card installed (and runs fine for everything else) that has the right Open GL Minecraft requires.

So I do I get it to go back to detecting the right graphics card like it was doing yesterday?

Sorry if I'm being pushy or something; it's just frustrating and I just want to build castles. :(

DeliriousDelight fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 11, 2011

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

I did try that, and that failed as well (probably because my dv6 is an older version than those). I spent all day yesterday trying everything, and after a fourth system restore (the previous three failed for some reason), I had gotten Vanilla Minecraft running, but then my computer started spitting out missing executable errors, so long story short I said "gently caress it", and did a full system wipe. Remember kids, always back up your files!

So, I really don't know what went wrong to begin with, but oh well. It works now. Thanks for all your help anyways.

Now I can go back to building my coastal town. :D

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've looked that page up and down twice now and unless I'm going blind there is no such link there.

Vib Rib actually posted it on page 117, but here's the link for you. I can confirm that it worked for me; no more lag spikes and a consistent 60-70 fps on my laptop. However, there are apparently some cases where it may corrupt old worlds, so you might want to start with a new one after installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

1) Pickaxe
2) Axe
3) Shovel
4) Sword
5) Torches
6) Bow
7) Dirt/Cobblestone/Other Blocks
8) Other
9) Food Item

What can I say v:shobon:v I tend to avoid combat. Mining has always been the fun part of Minecraft for me.