Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is entirely possible that I am not using MGE-XE. I dumped the files from MGE-XE in the morrowind directory though, and I ran the MGE-XE GUI. How can I tell if it is being used?

When you start the game up, it will say what version of MGE you are running in the upper left hand corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Captured with FRAPS, encoded with ripbot264. The x264s I upload to youtube tend to look darker than the source video though. The actual H.264 video has good looking gamma. Not sure why that is.

Looks like you've got the same problem I (and a few other people) have when recording Morrowind. For some reason, converting the video from one format to another (i.e. AVI->FLV) makes it really dark and you have to bump up the gamma to compensate. Youtube converts uploaded videos, so its probably happening on their end.

Also, a really quick way to tell whether MGE-XE is running (if you don't know how to enable or can't read the messages) is to bind a key to a function in the "macro editor" XE and see whether it works.

Protip: Be careful when opening MGE after running MGE-XE. I've had weird things happen where key mappings get duplicated and XE stops working and needs to be reinstalled before it works again.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 13, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
So I got MGSO up and running except there's no water anywhere and there's weird black "smudge marks" overlayed on the screen. Any idea why there's no water?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Red Baron posted:

So I got MGSO up and running except there's no water anywhere and there's weird black "smudge marks" overlayed on the screen. Any idea why there's no water?

Can you get a screenshot? Part of this sounds similar to a problem which popped up in the previous thread (though not with MGSO).

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Can you get a screenshot? Part of this sounds similar to a problem which popped up in the previous thread (though not with MGSO).

Here you go, sorry about the border, I couldn't get the ini setting to stick for screen shots:

http://imgur.com/4yfIf

http://imgur.com/0mv8l

http://imgur.com/6Qrdk

It's obvious now that the "smudge marks" are really dark impressions left of an earlier image. I can always role play some kind of haunted-by-a-nether-world mage, but... No.

e: that was large.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
God dammit, Immersive Chargen. I /installed/ the Dagoth Ur replacement and you're still giving errors?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Red Baron posted:

graphical glitches

It seems that Tufty had the same graphical glitch as the last screenshot, caused by both MGE and MGE-XE having active shaders which fought with each other. See if there are any active effects in MGE you can disable (without causing XE to implode when you run it afterwards).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Protip: Be careful when opening MGE after running MGE-XE. I've had weird things happen where key mappings get duplicated and XE stops working and needs to be reinstalled before it works again.
I think this is what happened with me. I had opened MGE, and it killed MGE-XE. So
no, I don't think I was running it there.

Reinstalling MGE-XE seems to make it work again. And yeah, the shoreline of the water doesn't look as good now. The shaders definitely work now though.

Are people seriously using the depth of field shader though? It seems to change focuses way too quickly, from blurry to completely in focus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp5l1ufRBy8
If I had to play though the game like that I think I would have nonstop headaches.

Also, I think I figured out the reason why real time shadows turns my FPS from great to single digits.

somebody or other posted:

"While looking fantastic, "Detailed & reflective armor" currently is not optimized for the .ini tweak 'real time shadows', not to be confused with MGE XE's shadows."
I think I had turned on the detailed armor in the MGSO options. "Not optimized" in this case means "pretty much unusable".

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

It seems that Tufty had the same graphical glitch as the last screenshot, caused by both MGE and MGE-XE having active shaders which fought with each other. See if there are any active effects in MGE you can disable (without causing XE to implode when you run it afterwards).

I... Don't have MGE XE installed yet. Could it just be bad shaders in MGE?

e: Nope, disabled all shaders and have the same problem.

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 13, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Red Baron posted:

That would be my guess. It also might be an odd LOD setting.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Are people seriously using the depth of field shader though? It seems to change focuses way too quickly, from blurry to completely in focus.

No, for that exact reason. I personally don't like DOF anyway, though.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Question from Mlox:

[NOTE]
> [ALL 'DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp', 'Merged_Objects.esp']
| !! If you use TESTOOL's "Merged_Objects.esp", it is recommended to omit this plugin from the merge.

Does this mean that when I go to merge objects, to not add Merged_Objects (which makes perfect sense) or to omit DN-GDRv1_NOM?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shinino Kage posted:

Question from Mlox:

[NOTE]
> [ALL 'DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp', 'Merged_Objects.esp']
| !! If you use TESTOOL's "Merged_Objects.esp", it is recommended to omit this plugin from the merge.

Does this mean that when I go to merge objects, to not add Merged_Objects (which makes perfect sense) or to omit DN-GDRv1_NOM?

I think it means to omit DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp when you create the Merged_Objects.esp

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The MGE depth of field shader included in the graphic overhaul is pretty good, I notice. It is called "Playable Depth Of Field", and does help improve the look of distant scenery without loving with things two inches in front of your face. Do MGE shaders work in MGE-XE? If so, it might be nice. I just can't take that default XE depth of field shader.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Red Baron posted:

e: Nope, disabled all shaders and have the same problem.

That's strange. The problem I was having was the SSAO shader being applied through menus and the interface, not some random room in the middle of the ocean - though the effect does look very similar. My issue was caused by the SSAO shader in MGE being incompatible with a Morrowind Code Patch feature called 'UI Display Quality Fix'. I disabled the MGE SSAO and used the MGE-XE one instead and problem solved. Yours... I have no idea :( We sound like broken records but did you install the game in Program Files?

Musical_Devil posted:

Also, DO NOT install Morrowind into your "Program Files" folder (x86 works fine for me). Otherwise, things won't work and crash constantly and we won't be able to solve your problems and we will make fun of you.

Good OP, Musical_Devil. You might want to put a link to this in the bit where you say to not install the game to Program Files.

"Also, DO NOT install Morrowind into your "Program Files" folder (x86 works fine for me). Otherwise, things won't work and crash constantly and we won't be able to solve your problems and we will make fun of you. With the Steam version follow these instructions to move your Steam installation out of program files."

Filthy Monkey posted:

The MGE depth of field shader included in the graphic overhaul is pretty good, I notice. It is called "Playable Depth Of Field", and does help improve the look of distant scenery without loving with things two inches in front of your face. Do MGE shaders work in MGE-XE? If so, it might be nice. I just can't take that default XE depth of field shader.

Really? I find that the MGE Playable DOF shader makes things change too quickly and too noticeably. If my crosshair happens to catch a fencepost it's suddenly like my guy needs glasses for a second. I don't really notice the MGE-XE DOF unless I'm actively looking for it.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 13, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Tufty posted:

That's strange. The problem I was having was the SSAO shader being applied through menus and the interface, not some random room in the middle of the ocean - though the effect does look very similar. My issue was caused by the SSAO shader in MGE being incompatible with a Morrowind Code Patch feature called 'UI Display Quality Fix'. I disabled the MGE SSAO and used the MGE-XE one instead and problem solved. Yours... I have no idea :( We sound like broken records but did you install the game in Program Files?

I know this whole time I've said I'm installed my Morrowind into Program Files, but it's really Program Files (x86) which I think isn't the same thing? I'm not sure, honestly.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Red Baron posted:

I know this whole time I've said I'm installed my Morrowind into Program Files, but it's really Program Files (x86) which I think isn't the same thing? I'm not sure, honestly.

I was having problems with textures not showing up just before the last thread closed and fixed everything by moving Morrowind into a folder I made called C:/Games. It's worth a shot.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
I'm trying to get morrowind working, and I'm up to the step where I change the file date for the .bsa files. I've downloaded the file date changer, but when I attempt to change the dates it tells me it can't change the file and to check that I have permission to write to the file.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Cytokinesis posted:

I'm trying to get morrowind working, and I'm up to the step where I change the file date for the .bsa files. I've downloaded the file date changer, but when I attempt to change the dates it tells me it can't change the file and to check that I have permission to write to the file.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Are you running it as an administrator?

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Yes, I even changed the security options on the folder so that all the users could write to it and that did nothing.

Edit: I found the problem, it looks like I had to close the MGE for it to work. I don't know why.

Cytokinesis fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 13, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

I was having problems with textures not showing up just before the last thread closed and fixed everything by moving Morrowind into a folder I made called C:/Games. It's worth a shot.

Is it possible to just move my Morrowind install or will I need to relocate my entire Steam installation?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Red Baron posted:

Is it possible to just move my Morrowind install or will I need to relocate my entire Steam installation?

I'm not positive. Since you'll most likely be using the modified 4GB exe and Morrowind Enhanced you won't be running it through Steam (and the in-game community features need to be disabled anyway) so you might be okay just moving your Morrowind folder. The only problem is that Steam might get confused and download another copy. Give it a shot :) Maybe back it up first though.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Tufty posted:

I'm not positive. Since you'll most likely be using the modified 4GB exe and Morrowind Enhanced you won't be running it through Steam (and the in-game community features need to be disabled anyway) so you might be okay just moving your Morrowind folder. The only problem is that Steam might get confused and download another copy. Give it a shot :) Maybe back it up first though.

Okay when I get home from work today I'll just copy the whole directory into Games and see if it doesn't work from there. Fingers crossed!

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
This should really be added to the OP: DO NOT EVER USE MORROWIND ENHANCED FOR ANY REASON. It's buggy and demonstrably increases crashing and savegame corruption. The only mod for it that is even remotely decent is NPC Enhanced and that's got a MWSE conversion mod available for it. So, seriously, don't use it. It's been analyzed to hell and back by the community and was long ago deemed worthless and detrimental to your game's stability.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

ParagonParadox27 posted:

This should really be added to the OP: DO NOT EVER USE MORROWIND ENHANCED FOR ANY REASON. It's buggy and demonstrably increases crashing and savegame corruption. The only mod for it that is even remotely decent is NPC Enhanced and that's got a MWSE conversion mod available for it. So, seriously, don't use it. It's been analyzed to hell and back by the community and was long ago deemed worthless and detrimental to your game's stability.

:ohdear: Do you know if it would be okay to stop using Blocking Enhanced mid-game or will I have to start over?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
I think you can, since it's probably not made a permanent change to your Block skill. It's probably just a 'drain by 100; press Block key to remove drain' mod like they all are.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Hrm. Need to figure out what to turn off to improve FPS. I'm floating around 20-25 going through cities right now.

Ideas on what to do without completely sacrificing graphics quality?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Shinino Kage posted:

Hrm. Need to figure out what to turn off to improve FPS. I'm floating around 20-25 going through cities right now.

Poor you. Balmora is at 10 on my system. 20-25 is at least playable and barely even noticeable.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Quoting myself from the last page:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bunch of things:

When you generate distant land through MGE, don't change the values for World Texture or Mesh Detail. When you get to the statics portion, uncheck "Include miscellaneous items" and reduce the grass density. Mods like Vurt's Groundcover can murder framerates when set to 100%. Somewhere between 50-65 percent should be good.

Another thing I didn't realize until I was browsing SourceForge: FOV is listed as a source of extreme (their words, not mine) FPS drain, especially if you autoset it and it chooses a value greater than 90. I scaled mine back to 80 degrees.

Don't use "high detail" shadows through MGE, and drop the in-game AI distance down to nothing and see if that does anything (it should.)

Also, use MGE to cap your framerate and see if that helps. It sounds counterintuitive, but locking yourself at 40 or 45 FPS seems to increase overall performance and stability. Worse comes to worst, you can always uncap it if you don't see a difference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Poor you. Balmora is at 10 on my system. 20-25 is at least playable and barely even noticeable.

Balmora is 10 on everybody's system :mad:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Red Baron posted:

Okay when I get home from work today I'll just copy the whole directory into Games and see if it doesn't work from there. Fingers crossed!

I copied the whole "morrowind" folder over from Steam, but trying to launch anything calls an error since it's still tied to Steam, which makes sense. I guess I'll just be moving my whole Steam installation or looking for an alternative fix.

Btw, to the people (including me) who had problems with Immersive CharGen and Divine Dagoth Ur this link should solve that problem for you.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Does anyone know why the hell a Winged Twilight would cause my fps to plummet to near zero, even on a fresh install?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Quoting myself from the last page:

Also, use MGE to cap your framerate and see if that helps. It sounds counterintuitive, but locking yourself at 40 or 45 FPS seems to increase overall performance and stability. Worse comes to worst, you can always uncap it if you don't see a difference.

Dur, thanks. :)

I cut grass down to 75%, turned off distant misc objects. FoV was already at 75%.

did that, and Seyda Neen walking around was still 20-25 FPS.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Red Baron posted:

I copied the whole "morrowind" folder over from Steam, but trying to launch anything calls an error since it's still tied to Steam, which makes sense. I guess I'll just be moving my whole Steam installation or looking for an alternative fix.

Btw, to the people (including me) who had problems with Immersive CharGen and Divine Dagoth Ur this link should solve that problem for you.

That only removes the error. I tried it once and it still had issues loading some textures. Could have been something else causing it though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Dur, thanks. :)

I cut grass down to 75%, turned off distant misc objects. FoV was already at 75%.

did that, and Seyda Neen walking around was still 20-25 FPS.

So cutting back on grass didn't make a difference (I wouldn't expect turning off misc objects would, since Seyda Neen is so small that there really aren't any "distant" misc objects to be drawn.) You should really see if capping the FPS helps.

I personally observed a significant improvement by completely disabling in-game shadows and AI through the menu. SSAO makes up for the lack of stencil shadows, and the lowest-setting AI just makes distant NPCs walk funny until you get closer.

What's your draw distance? If push met shove, another goon suggested that you just patiently go through and set individual settings really high and then really low, and see what helps the most.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
What's the best build for just strongarming your way through this game as a mage? I've beaten Morrowind before but never fully made my way through the expansions and I'd like to get it over with. I want to be a mage since Telvanni House is the Best House and I remember getting a lot more cool poo poo that way. I'll probably have long blade as a major since I'm still going to be whacking things and that's the best for it but other than that I don't know what skill choice is best and what will gently caress me over in the long run.

I'm not doing any mods or anything I don't think, that poo poo always ended up corrupting my save files. Help a brother out

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

That only removes the error. I tried it once and it still had issues loading some textures. Could have been something else causing it though.

Sorry, I stumbled on that long after I'd deleted the install I used from Knot's guide (where I had run into that error) I just wanted to share!

I moved my Steam directory and I completely reinstalled the MGSO from initial release to 1.3 and I still have the same strange issues. To make matters worse, I'm now initially unable to see my cursor when I start the game, which makes navigating the opening menu fun. Strangely (and unlike the first time I installed MGSO on my Program Files (x86) folder) I got an alert saying "Some of these files are copy protected, do you want to overwrite them?" while installing to /Games which I definitely did not get before.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Syphilicious! posted:

What's the best build for just strongarming your way through this game as a mage? I've beaten Morrowind before but never fully made my way through the expansions and I'd like to get it over with. I want to be a mage since Telvanni House is the Best House and I remember getting a lot more cool poo poo that way. I'll probably have long blade as a major since I'm still going to be whacking things and that's the best for it but other than that I don't know what skill choice is best and what will gently caress me over in the long run.

I'm not doing any mods or anything I don't think, that poo poo always ended up corrupting my save files. Help a brother out

Alchemy. Make five fortify intelligence potions. Drink them. Make five more fortify intelligence potions. Drink those. Do this until you feel your intelligence is sufficiently ridiculous, and make any potions you want. Make any spell you feel like and enjoy being god!

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
How do I unlock the poo poo under Excess Junk in MGE XE?

Lame as Heck
Mar 27, 2004

headcoatin' baby
man every time i see these screenshots im all hell yeah awesome and then i see rings and tats on dude's faces and i get angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Here are my specs, btw

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3 Ghz
Geforce GTX 460 w/ 1GB Ram
8 GB DDR 3
Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm playing the game at 1920x1080, and here are my MGE XE settings:

AA/AX are at 2X, Shaders are turned on. Horz FOV is at 75%, FPS limit is 45. Fog Mode is set for Depth Pixel (Fast)

Under Distant Land setup:
World Texture Res is 2048, World normalmap Res is 1024
World Mesh Detail is set to High
Minimum static size is 150, Grass density percent is 50, Mesh Detail is set to full, Mipmap levels to skip is 1. Activators, interiors behaving like exterior and interiors with water are all checked.
Draw Distance is 20 Cells, Sizes are 150/600/800
Auto-set other distances is checked and set to Draw DistSky, landscape and nearby statics are checked for water reflection
Height of Waves and caustic intensity are both 50%.

HDR Reaction time is set to 2 seconds, Dynamic lighting is set to Quadratic 10, Linear 1.730 and Constant 0.191.
The Excess Junk tab is all greyed out, but Enable Fog is checked, as is Bind AI distance to draw distance. Shader model 3 is enabled.

What would b e the best way to improve my FPS?

Edit: In-Game options are:

AI Distance is one notch from all the way on the left. View Distance is set at about 80%, Gamma is about 50%, and Real-Time Shadows is one-notch from the left.

Loaded game, and 15-25 FPS in Seyda Neen. Turned off Real-Time shadows, lowered View Distance to about 65%, no change to FPS.

Turned off AA/AX, no change at all. In fact, FPS in Seyda Neen went down to about 15 FPS when looking at buildings and moving.

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 14, 2011