Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lame as Heck posted:

man every time i see these screenshots im all hell yeah awesome and then i see rings and tats on dude's faces and i get angry

What does this even mean?

Shinino Kage posted:

Here are my specs, btw

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3 Ghz
Geforce GTX 460 w/ 1GB Ram
8 GB DDR 3
Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm playing the game at 1920x1080, and here are my MGE XE settings:

AA/AX are at 2X, Shaders are turned on. Horz FOV is at 75%, FPS limit is 45. Fog Mode is set for Depth Pixel (Fast)

Under Distant Land setup:
World Texture Res is 2048, World normalmap Res is 1024
World Mesh Detail is set to High
Minimum static size is 150, Grass density percent is 50, Mesh Detail is set to full, Mipmap levels to skip is 1. Activators, interiors behaving like exterior and interiors with water are all checked.
Draw Distance is 20 Cells, Sizes are 150/600/800
Auto-set other distances is checked and set to Draw DistSky, landscape and nearby statics are checked for water reflection
Height of Waves and caustic intensity are both 50%.

HDR Reaction time is set to 2 seconds, Dynamic lighting is set to Quadratic 10, Linear 1.730 and Constant 0.191.
The Excess Junk tab is all greyed out, but Enable Fog is checked, as is Bind AI distance to draw distance. Shader model 3 is enabled.

What would b e the best way to improve my FPS?

Edit: In-Game options are:

AI Distance is one notch from all the way on the left. View Distance is set at about 80%, Gamma is about 50%, and Real-Time Shadows is one-notch from the left.

Loaded game, and 15-25 FPS in Seyda Neen. Turned off Real-Time shadows, lowered View Distance to about 65%, no change to FPS.

If you're using MGE-XE, you'll probably want to push your in-game render distance up to 100%. MGE-XE doesn't like it when you have it set to anything lower than that. Try dropping your Draw Distance through MGE-XE down to 12 or 13. If that doesn't improve your FPS, I'll be really surprised. Twenty cells is a lot, and while it makes for some great screenshots, it can be punishing on your framerates.

Out of curiosity, where did you get those dynamic lighting settings? They're oddly specific, so I'm assuming a weather or lighting mod instructed you to do that. Personally, I've got mine set to the typical Quadratic 2.619, Linear 1, Constant 0.382.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
That got me about another 3-5 FPS. The lighting was from ASE, I believe.

Wondering if maybe I need to run the MGSO options again and check a few things there.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
What it is NOT:

Shaders: turned them off, FPS didn't change.
In-Game AI Distance: It's very low, no change.
In-Game Real-Time Shadows: It's off, no change.
AA/AX: No change when turning them off.
Distant Draw as a whole: I turned that off, FPS went up another slight tick.

Yes, I realize, it could be mods /in general/. I'm saving that one for down the line, though.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Did a quick video, also. I don't know why it won't go beyond 720p, unless Youtube is still processing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX2uKDw4FCg

Shinino Kage fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 14, 2011

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
So Morrowind is now looking awesome and running ok on my machine. Are there any mods that work with MGE-XE (no MWSE right?) and make melee combat not suck? I already know of Combat Enhanced, but is there anything newer/better available now?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
You should use MWSE. You should not use Combat Enhanced because it requires MWE.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Quick question: I'm gonna install MGE XE and see if that can make my water reappear and my ghost-images... Haunt someone else? Anyway, once i install MGE XE and get it all configured proper-like, should I go into MGE and disable all the active shaders, or just leave everything like I have it now in MGE?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Red Baron posted:

Quick question: I'm gonna install MGE XE and see if that can make my water reappear and my ghost-images... Haunt someone else? Anyway, once i install MGE XE and get it all configured proper-like, should I go into MGE and disable all the active shaders, or just leave everything like I have it now in MGE?

MGE:XE should start by default once you do all that. Just follow the steps in knot's guide and whatnot :). Shadows own.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
After a week or so of pootling around Vvandernfell with a bunch of gameplay tweaks and texture packs I finally decided to try and tackle MGE. Only took about twenty minutes, works fine, created a Distant Lands file, booted the game, immediately levitated two hundred feet into the air and surveyed the island like a God.

:iamafag:

edit: Can anyone recommend some decent shaders to run?

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 14, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

KryonikMessiah posted:

MGE:XE should start by default once you do all that. Just follow the steps in knot's guide and whatnot :). Shadows own.

:D My water is back! Now I just need to get my FPS back to where it was before MGE XE raped it!

I have a few more questions, though:

- What does disabling misc objects in static creation do? What exactly are misc objects?
- My cursor is still invisible on the title screen, but in no other menus. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.
Biggest thing I found to help with FPS is grass density. Do it at like 50 percent with 90 percent mesh detail.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

KryonikMessiah posted:

Biggest thing I found to help with FPS is grass density. Do it at like 50 percent with 90 percent mesh detail.

Yeah, that definitely helped the most. Also, protip turning on AntiAliasing may make your cursor invisible on the title screen!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Followed all the steps and discovered that one of my Bloodmoon mesh files hosed off to somewhere (BM_Snow_01.nif). Maybe I missed reading about this issue somewhere, but I did a clean reinstall from original CDs (NOT to Program Files) and followed the directions again. Same issue, same missing file.

So I reinstalled Bloodmoon over everything and now it runs, albeit a bit chunky and slow since I have to do some tweaking. I bet I'm probably playing on borrowed time until I hit the appropriate area. I haven't modded or played this game in nearly seven years, so it's sort of new to me all over again. That familiar music starting up again was pretty awesome though :)

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

ParagonParadox27 posted:

You should use MWSE. You should not use Combat Enhanced because it requires MWE.

Right, yeah, I have this backwards - it's MWE that MGE-XE doesn't come with, it has its own internal version of MWSE though yeah? Does such a mod even exist or is Combat Enhanced the only game in town?

ElectricSheep posted:

Followed all the steps and discovered that one of my Bloodmoon mesh files hosed off to somewhere (BM_Snow_01.nif). Maybe I missed reading about this issue somewhere, but I did a clean reinstall from original CDs (NOT to Program Files) and followed the directions again. Same issue, same missing file.

In case anyone else has this problem, you can fix it by running the BSA registration program that comes with the overhaul again. At some point during the installation or updating process (not sure when, did it all in one go) the archive list in the INI file is removed.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Myopic posted:

Right, yeah, I have this backwards - it's MWE that MGE-XE doesn't come with, it has its own internal version of MWSE though yeah? Does such a mod even exist or is Combat Enhanced the only game in town?

Well, Combat Enhanced is a really crappy piece of work. If you want something to rework the combat system, there's always Gratuitous Violence with Depth Perception on a low-medium setting of Fortify Attack.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
A question, I've installed BTB, Less Generic NPCs, Better Heads, and Galsiah's Character Development mod. One of them is crashing my computer, and I'm not sure which. I play, doing nothing special, and suddenly my computer crashes out of nowhere. Do any of these have a history of causing crashes? Or is there an incompatibility issue?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
This is probably a really stupid question, but where do I get the TES CS for Morrowind? I'm only getting junk results through Google search, but it definitely exists.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Balmora is 10 on everybody's system :mad:

I get 15 in Seyda Neen but 20+ in Balmora vOv

Currently following your tips and recreating distant land to see if I can improve on that.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Positronic Spleen posted:

This is probably a really stupid question, but where do I get the TES CS for Morrowind? I'm only getting junk results through Google search, but it definitely exists.

And Bethesda's official site is now an immense pile of loving poo poo, so you can't get it from there, either. Really awesome work, BethSoft.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Okay, so I found this: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29388

When I used the terrible alternative programs I had no problem, but this is throwing a fit when I load just the official ESMs:

quote:

Chunk size 10 too big in chunk WEAT_ID in form REGN_ID. Max size is 8, data truncated to <unintelligible>
A quick search says that it's because Bloodmoon was installed before Tribunal. I mean, installed? Aren't they just ESMs that I date into a load order?

edit: Oh ho, it's talking about the PATCHES. Well great, is it going to break my game to install them over the Steam version?

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2011

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Looked into this thread on a whim and the remakes looked interesting, I never finished Tribunal or Bloodmoon when I first played them a number of years ago.

However, I tried to install the game and the expansions and they refuse to run on my Windows 7 64 bit system. It seems the issue lies in the expansions, because I can run the original game without any issues, but as soon as I install the expansions it stops working. :( Anyone had this problem before?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Is there a way to run the MGE Steam workaround with the Code Patch?

I can't get the Code Patch to update the MGE workaround's custom .exe without overwriting whatever they changed to get MGE working.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

KryonikMessiah posted:

FPS still 15-20 with those settings.

I'm really wondering if it's a mod, or perhaps my version of MGE.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Cytokinesis posted:

A question, I've installed BTB, Less Generic NPCs, Better Heads, and Galsiah's Character Development mod. One of them is crashing my computer, and I'm not sure which. I play, doing nothing special, and suddenly my computer crashes out of nowhere. Do any of these have a history of causing crashes? Or is there an incompatibility issue?

I don't know how much this will help but I'm running all those except Character Development and getting no crashes.

edit: Check you're running the correct variety of BTB too. There's often alternate data files for compatability with different setups.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Myopic posted:

In case anyone else has this problem, you can fix it by running the BSA registration program that comes with the overhaul again. At some point during the installation or updating process (not sure when, did it all in one go) the archive list in the INI file is removed.

Yeah, adding those lines to the Morrowind.ini file did it. I thought they were only required for Steam copies, but my original game + expansions are all retail CDs.

Also holy gently caress this game looks gorgeous with all of these fixes. Getting some trees popping out of my periphery when I look away (FOV 75%) but otherwise it runs great.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Well, Combat Enhanced is a really crappy piece of work. If you want something to rework the combat system, there's always Gratuitous Violence with Depth Perception on a low-medium setting of Fortify Attack.

This looks awesome, thanks man.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Okay.

If I strip down to ONLY base game + MGE XE + Morrowind Patch 1.6.5. BTB, and load a new game, I get around 30-40 on the ship (outside) and 26-29 walking through Seyda Neen.

This tells me my mods are only losing me about 4-5 FPS, if that. Am I wrong in thinking I should have MUCH higher FPS with my system?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
You're not wrong. You SHOULD be. But it's Morrowind, a very poorly-optimized game that is extremely restricted on its utilization of modern architectural boons, such as 64-bit, multiple gigs of DDR3 RAM, DirectX9+ functionality, et cetera. So, yeah, your poo poo's going to be a bit crappy. Deal. w/. it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tufty posted:

I get 15 in Seyda Neen but 20+ in Balmora vOv

Currently following your tips and recreating distant land to see if I can improve on that.

Actually I exaggerate, FPS isn't generally bad at all in Balmora. However there are a few places where you can stand and get most of the city on your screen and that's when your FPS can take a hit. Running around normally isn't bad at all.

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay.

If I strip down to ONLY base game + MGE XE + Morrowind Patch 1.6.5. BTB, and load a new game, I get around 30-40 on the ship (outside) and 26-29 walking through Seyda Neen.

This tells me my mods are only losing me about 4-5 FPS, if that. Am I wrong in thinking I should have MUCH higher FPS with my system?

At 1920 x 1200, with some AA + AF and six or seven shaders...probably not, honestly. I don't use MGSO but I have a rig pretty similar to yours (1st gen i7 CPU though) and there are areas where my FPS takes a hit. It's just not a terribly efficient engine, and even having a great PC doesn't necessarily make a huge difference because the engine isn't optimized to take full advantage of those extra CPU cores and extra RAM.

Side note: MCP is up to version 2.0, I believe. At least that's the version mine is reporting itself as.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
There's the Morrowind Code Patch 2.0 which only has a showcase .esp, and then there's 1.6.5 BTB edit, which has an .esm. I've got both.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I've heard the Gamebryo engine is highly CPU dependent, especially in Morrowind. Short of overclocking the poo poo out of a processor, there isn't much more you can do to increase FPS in troublesome areas like Balmora.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Morrowind is VERY weird in how it handles hardware overall. You can have a rig which runs Crysis at max settings but chugs in Balmora. And a lot of the time there's nothing you can do about it, that's just the way it is.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's a 10 year old engine made beautiful by a bunch of, literal, hacks into said engine. Of course it's not going to be optimized.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Oh, and while all Gamebryo games are very much affected by file fragmentation, Morrowind is especially bad with it. Defrag your drives that have your morrowind files - all the copying and pasting for mods will affect it and even a 5% overall file fragmentation can seriously affect your FPS. Don't ask how, it just does.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Naky posted:

Oh, and while all Gamebryo games are very much affected by file fragmentation, Morrowind is especially bad with it. Defrag your drives that have your morrowind files - all the copying and pasting for mods will affect it and even a 5% overall file fragmentation can seriously affect your FPS. Don't ask how, it just does.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll do that tonight!

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Thanks for the reminder, I'll do that tonight!

Ditto!

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Naky posted:

Thanks for mentioning this Naky. I haven't defragged in much longer than I should have and am at 22% fragmentation :X We'll see if my FPS jumps up.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ho Ho what luck a new Morrowind thread!

I have lost count of the number of times I have started playing this drat devilish game and never making any progress past the few starting quests. I just get my rear end handed to me every time.

I need some advice on what is the most time-efficient way of creating a super-powerful mage. I basically just want to explore the end-level content, see all the sights, spells, quests etc. I am not too concerned with ruining game balance at this point, but having said that I don't want to just cheat my way through everything.

Ed. I just noticed this exact question was posed in the last few pages :cheers: mage buddy.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 15, 2011

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Flaky posted:

Ho Ho what luck a new Morrowind thread!

I have lost count of the number of times I have started playing this drat devilish game and never making any progress past the few starting quests. I just get my rear end handed to me every time.

I need some advice on what is the most time-efficient way of creating a super-powerful mage. I basically just want to explore the end-level content, see all the sights, spells, quests etc. I am not too concerned with ruining game balance at this point, but having said that I don't want to just cheat my way through everything.

I would go with a Breton, take the mage sign (This will give you 2x more mana, but at the cost of 50% weakness to magic. Being a Breton gives you 50% resistance to magic so they cancel each other out). As for skills, it might be best to go for a battle mage. That way when you run out of mana (often) you wont be totally helpless. The best way to play legitamately without cheating is to focus on becoming really good at destruction. When you level up put your points into intelligence and willpower, these will give you more mana and ensure your spells dont fail. Avoid fire spells as the dark elves are resistant to them, I find shock or poison to be useful. In about 2 days of play as a mage (No exploits, No mods) you can become powerful enough to take on just about anything. Joining the mages guild and house Telvanni gives you all sorts of awesome mage helping rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I actually find Destruction pretty unhelpful, if you rely on it for your bread and butter offense it zooms up much faster than anything else, giving a hefty bonus to Willpower (nearly useless early on). Then a lot of the Daedra have permanent spell defenses meaning you've pretty much got to go up and whack them with something, only you can't because you've put all your practice into Destruction so all your whacking skills suck. So use your spells to buff yourself and debuff your enemies six ways to Sunday then get whacking.

For gamebreaking power without out-and-out cheating, power through alchemy. A decent set of equipment and some common ingredients and your restore health potions make you temporarily invincible. Once you nab a few high level soul gems and a fuckton of gold you can enchant some constant effect restore health and not die ever.

And to play the game for fun exploration you may need two extra mods - One to make the level up multipliers easier to achieve (otherwise if you're anything like me you spend about half your time levelling skills you'll never use for the sake of the stat boost) and one to do some drat thing about cliffracers because they are utterly intolerable.

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 15, 2011