Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Genuine question that probably goes to show how little I understand this, but: I know (or at least I've heard in this thread) the OpenMW guys are being blockheads about allowing MWSE features in their platform, but is OpenMW not open source? Could someone start porting the MWSE functions now and just do it and people haven't to respect the OpenMW devs' wishes, or is it more complicated than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RubricMarine posted:

Genuine question that probably goes to show how little I understand this, but: I know (or at least I've heard in this thread) the OpenMW guys are being blockheads about allowing MWSE features in their platform, but is OpenMW not open source? Could someone start porting the MWSE functions now and just do it and people haven't to respect the OpenMW devs' wishes, or is it more complicated than that?

There are still folks who need to approve contributions. You could fork OpenMW and add MWSE support, but that road leads to madness.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RubricMarine posted:

you can, and people have, but it leads to orphaned branches where someone makes a specific one-off fork for a mwse feature and then no one uses it and no one wants to maintain it.

there is zero compatibility between mwse and openmw, and they're implementing very different functionality, so any mwse mods would need to get completely rewritten anyway.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
They went for a middle ground approach in that they are implementing Lua scripting, but mwse Lua relies on hooks that openmw does not use, and from a dev perspective I kinda get it because they have access to the engine to make it properly whereas mwse had to injection hack a finished game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

All i know is that more than a few times, i've seen cool mods on nexus that are like "DO NOT USE WITH OPENMW," and so i think to myself "heh too bad for those suckers. Time to open up MWSE with this cool new mod that adds jiggle physics to the silt striders"

I treat that warning the same way I treated "do not install on a current save" warnings back in the day or "not suitable for nut allergies" warnings on food; ignorable nonsense for cowards who fear life with a sense of risk

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
OpenMW mod management owns, you can install mods without clobbering any of the stock data files and easily change the load order completely non-destructively.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rahu posted:

OpenMW mod management owns, you can install mods without clobbering any of the stock data files and easily change the load order completely non-destructively.

You can do that with MO2. You don't actually touch your install

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I finally managed to make something that seems to mostly work without using the CFG generator by using Plox... except groundcover seems to refuse to work. I know, I know, "blah blah groundcover who needs it" but I liked the Grazelands looking grassy. :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

I finally managed to make something that seems to mostly work without using the CFG generator by using Plox... except groundcover seems to refuse to work. I know, I know, "blah blah groundcover who needs it" but I liked the Grazelands looking grassy. :(

In openmw you just designate the esps as grass files. You don't load them

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's more or less the same in MGE, but I don't know if that helps any,

e: You could add MWSE support to OpenMW without injection hacking, the way MWSE works is that it adds extra data to the scripts (which is then parsed by the injection hacked executable) and you could parse it the same as regular scripts in OpenMW. They just don't want to do it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 29, 2024

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, I was going to say in terms of mod compatibility you could make OpenMW compatible with mods built using MWSE. You would just need to make OpenMW do whatever it is supposed to do when it sees an MWSE command in a script. That’s not necessarily easy since you’d have to add all that functionality and debug any edge cases but it’s absolutely doable.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Just quickly looking over their docs https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/lua-scripting/overview.html vs https://mwse.github.io/MWSE/guides/introduction/ at first glance it looks like a major divergence is that openmw sandboxes every script whereas mwse is entirely unsandboxed (which perfectly lines up with the whole ethos of each project imo)

They also go on about how they've kept the architecture multiplayer compatible with regard to synch, object authority and data ownership between clients. MWSE is strictly singleplayer and doesn't need to worry about any of that.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

mbt posted:

In openmw you just designate the esps as grass files. You don't load them

Yeah, I knew that much. Turns out there was some dumb stuff I hadn't done, so I got that fixed. But it appears my luck with "adding extra NPC" mods has struck again. They included Repopulated Morrowind in the list so I added it and... oh, would you look at that, it ate all the vanilla NPCs in Seyda Neen again. I swear I'm literally the only person this happens to. orz

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Dragomorph posted:

Yeah, I knew that much. Turns out there was some dumb stuff I hadn't done, so I got that fixed. But it appears my luck with "adding extra NPC" mods has struck again. They included Repopulated Morrowind in the list so I added it and... oh, would you look at that, it ate all the vanilla NPCs in Seyda Neen again. I swear I'm literally the only person this happens to. orz

if you are using OMW, be careful in Seyda neen with certain mods, one adds an npc who causes omw to ctd everytime, it was so long ago that i touched it and edeted her out, that I forgot what it was.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i guess if any thread wants a cryptic prophecy it's the morrowind one

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I've modded Morrowind using Danae's modlist, and I keep getting caught on invisible objects in interior cells. It seems to be related to the pathgrid nodes, as when I toggle pathgrid display, the problem areas correlate with the big red diamonds. Anyone know what I hosed up with my installation?

Edit: here's an example, with a guard and I getting caught up on the red pyramid:

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 31, 2024

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Theron posted:

So I've modded Morrowind using Danae's modlist, and I keep getting caught on invisible objects in interior cells. It seems to be related to the pathgrid nodes, as when I toggle pathgrid display, the problem areas correlate with the big red diamonds. Anyone know what I hosed up with my installation?

I've never heard of this but you can ask in Danae's channel on the morrowind modding discord, she's pretty good at responding to weird bugs

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

mbt posted:

I've never heard of this but you can ask in Danae's channel on the morrowind modding discord, she's pretty good at responding to weird bugs

Thanks, I'll give it a go

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dunno who here said Morrowind Rebirth's music was good but they were drat right. Want nothing else from that mod but they hired someone good to do the music for sure.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whorelord posted:

Dunno who here said Morrowind Rebirth's music was good but they were drat right. Want nothing else from that mod but they hired someone good to do the music for sure.

I was definitely an advocate for their music more than once in this thread. I always download the mod strictly for the music when starting a modded game and toss the rest.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Finally got the game running properly. On the new Dawntrail-prepped machine, the whole thing runs like a dream even with 300+ mods. Pretty nice.

Been engaging with some of the early new quest stuff. Is it just me or is the writing in AFFresh, like, *insanely* good for modded content? Generally grammatically correct, in character and tells you things without speaking too much, integrates things organically. AFFA apparently also wrote the Fargoth Says Hello mod which is ALSO good... I do like it when genuinely good writers make quest mods.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Did I not just read either up the thread here or maybe on reddit that AFFAs the user name of one of the original writers/designers of Morrowind, from the age of myth when designers visited mortal forums

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Sumerian Telecom posted:

Did I not just read either up the thread here or maybe on reddit that AFFAs the user name of one of the original writers/designers of Morrowind, from the age of myth when designers visited mortal forums

Oh dag, seriously? The idea of the original writers modding the game themselves is delightful to me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sumerian Telecom posted:

hmmm now that i look into it, seems like this guy rules

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sumerian Telecom posted:

It is in fact Douglas Goodall. He wrote a ton of additional books for tamriel rebuilt as well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Todd Howard ran out the good writers of Morrowind before making oblivion was already a real reasonable headcanon before reading that.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

mbt posted:

It is in fact Douglas Goodall. He wrote a ton of additional books for tamriel rebuilt as well.

Man, between this and the mod where they got Jeff Baker to add a few extra lines Morrowind is the best game ever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Lol

> Joins Bethesda and works for a year designing all the best faction questlines
> Sees what Tribunal looks like after his ideas were discarded
> Shouts at Ken and Todd, leaves and never really works in games again other than to make Morrowind mods and roleplay Jobasha
> Elaborate
> No

True Jobasha energy

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Jobasha does not answer this question."

- Jobasha

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

"Oh hey, come on in. You want some coffee? Tea? Don't mind the other smugglers, they got up on the wrong side of the bed today."

For some reason, this one Nord in Aharunartus is always friendly and I have no idea why.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Keeping the thread alive with HYPERFIXATION, currently running a character on a custom class after one too many false starts due to mod fuckery, running through a hellscape undead Oblivion dimension underneath a priory. Good times.

Couple dumb questions though:

1. A while back, someone linked an alternate start mod which looked really good until I realized the last update to it was seven years ago. Does anybody know if it is still compatible given the immense number of changes that have come from both Tamriel Rebuilt and the BCOM mod explosion, or if at least anybody has made a compatibility patch? I downloaded it but wussed out from the brainworms of worrying about starting my game in the underocean or a wall or something.

2. Best mod for mannequins that's OpenMW compatible kudesai. I am a prolific hoarder and I wanna see all those pretty armor models people have made over the years. Gonna stick 'em all into that nice house you get in the Crystal City mod like the world's shittiest museum.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44615/

I used it last year and it still worked with Tamriel Rebuilt just fine.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Proletarian Mango posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44615/

I used it last year and it still worked with Tamriel Rebuilt just fine.

That's good to know at least. Wasn't sure if there'd be issues given how much terrain has changed.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
House of mannequins works with open mw. if thats the name, the wood, stone or flesh ones are all fine. be sure to have no companions/followers around if you want them to brandish weapons.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My husband just deleted my entire morrowind mods folder.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guildenstern Mother posted:

:sever:

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Do you think your insurance company will need a police report?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Use CHIM to undelete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
If I'm using openmw do I need anything besides patch for purists. I haven't played since before it was finished