Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
So I got MGSO up and running except there's no water anywhere and there's weird black "smudge marks" overlayed on the screen. Any idea why there's no water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Can you get a screenshot? Part of this sounds similar to a problem which popped up in the previous thread (though not with MGSO).

Here you go, sorry about the border, I couldn't get the ini setting to stick for screen shots:

http://imgur.com/4yfIf

http://imgur.com/0mv8l

http://imgur.com/6Qrdk

It's obvious now that the "smudge marks" are really dark impressions left of an earlier image. I can always role play some kind of haunted-by-a-nether-world mage, but... No.

e: that was large.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

It seems that Tufty had the same graphical glitch as the last screenshot, caused by both MGE and MGE-XE having active shaders which fought with each other. See if there are any active effects in MGE you can disable (without causing XE to implode when you run it afterwards).

I... Don't have MGE XE installed yet. Could it just be bad shaders in MGE?

e: Nope, disabled all shaders and have the same problem.

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 13, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Tufty posted:

That's strange. The problem I was having was the SSAO shader being applied through menus and the interface, not some random room in the middle of the ocean - though the effect does look very similar. My issue was caused by the SSAO shader in MGE being incompatible with a Morrowind Code Patch feature called 'UI Display Quality Fix'. I disabled the MGE SSAO and used the MGE-XE one instead and problem solved. Yours... I have no idea :( We sound like broken records but did you install the game in Program Files?

I know this whole time I've said I'm installed my Morrowind into Program Files, but it's really Program Files (x86) which I think isn't the same thing? I'm not sure, honestly.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Inside Outside posted:

I was having problems with textures not showing up just before the last thread closed and fixed everything by moving Morrowind into a folder I made called C:/Games. It's worth a shot.

Is it possible to just move my Morrowind install or will I need to relocate my entire Steam installation?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Tufty posted:

I'm not positive. Since you'll most likely be using the modified 4GB exe and Morrowind Enhanced you won't be running it through Steam (and the in-game community features need to be disabled anyway) so you might be okay just moving your Morrowind folder. The only problem is that Steam might get confused and download another copy. Give it a shot :) Maybe back it up first though.

Okay when I get home from work today I'll just copy the whole directory into Games and see if it doesn't work from there. Fingers crossed!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Red Baron posted:

Okay when I get home from work today I'll just copy the whole directory into Games and see if it doesn't work from there. Fingers crossed!

I copied the whole "morrowind" folder over from Steam, but trying to launch anything calls an error since it's still tied to Steam, which makes sense. I guess I'll just be moving my whole Steam installation or looking for an alternative fix.

Btw, to the people (including me) who had problems with Immersive CharGen and Divine Dagoth Ur this link should solve that problem for you.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Shinino Kage posted:

That only removes the error. I tried it once and it still had issues loading some textures. Could have been something else causing it though.

Sorry, I stumbled on that long after I'd deleted the install I used from Knot's guide (where I had run into that error) I just wanted to share!

I moved my Steam directory and I completely reinstalled the MGSO from initial release to 1.3 and I still have the same strange issues. To make matters worse, I'm now initially unable to see my cursor when I start the game, which makes navigating the opening menu fun. Strangely (and unlike the first time I installed MGSO on my Program Files (x86) folder) I got an alert saying "Some of these files are copy protected, do you want to overwrite them?" while installing to /Games which I definitely did not get before.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Quick question: I'm gonna install MGE XE and see if that can make my water reappear and my ghost-images... Haunt someone else? Anyway, once i install MGE XE and get it all configured proper-like, should I go into MGE and disable all the active shaders, or just leave everything like I have it now in MGE?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

KryonikMessiah posted:

MGE:XE should start by default once you do all that. Just follow the steps in knot's guide and whatnot :). Shadows own.

:D My water is back! Now I just need to get my FPS back to where it was before MGE XE raped it!

I have a few more questions, though:

- What does disabling misc objects in static creation do? What exactly are misc objects?
- My cursor is still invisible on the title screen, but in no other menus. Anyone have any idea why that might be?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

KryonikMessiah posted:

Biggest thing I found to help with FPS is grass density. Do it at like 50 percent with 90 percent mesh detail.

Yeah, that definitely helped the most. Also, protip turning on AntiAliasing may make your cursor invisible on the title screen!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Ended up turning down my grass to 35% and my meshes to 75% (what does that part of static creation actually do, anyway?) but I finally cleared 25fps average in Balmora and a solid 30-35 elsewhere outdoors. I read earlier in this thread/the last thread to un-check "misc objects" during static creation, but there wasn't any explanation about what that did or how big of a gain it actually got you, can anyone illuminate that a little more?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

MGE's Static Creation Mesh Detail controls the level of detail that distant objects are rendered (objects like trees and rocks rendered in distant cells.) You can generally get away with lowering this value without a significant penalty to visuals, since the objects are far away.

If you choose to include "miscellaneous objects" in your Distant Land Static Generation, the game will generate everything from barrels to lamps in distant cells. Obviously this can negatively impact performance if you're running a lot of mods and mesh-replacements for everyday items. I leave this unchecked, since I don't really care if the game doesn't render boxes and barrels three cells away from me.

Oh! That makes a lot more sense. I'll definitely try lowering the meshes even more and unchecking the misc objects. Any idea at what percentage do distant meshes start to look "bad"?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

e: Never mind, I got it working by uninstalling some keyboard driver with "109" in the name!

Although if anyone can tell me why turning on AA in MGE XE makes my cursor disappear in menus, I'd be ecstatic. I really just wanna see if I can turn that function on without serious damage to my framerate...

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 17, 2011

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Forums Medic posted:

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm having a problem trying to get this torrent to start:

Does anyone have another link to the file?

I had this problem as well. I messed around with my NAT settings and discovered I could set up uPnP (or whatever) and then just let it run in the background while I did computer stuff. I just happened to look and eventually it downloaded. I'm seeding it right now. I think.

e: I can't say the messing around is what did it, only that I happened to do that and then later the file downloaded.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

What is going on? The only thing to have happened to my Morrowind install between now and the last time I played it was I ran Defraggler. What the christ, Morrowind. You have a mind of your own.

e: Selecting "Cancel/Yes To All" only causes the program to hang infinitely at the part where the Bethesda logo would normally play.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I assume it's giving you this error when you start the game up? Is this on a Steam version?

Yes to both.

e: Apparently something had unchecked the "run as administrator" boxes for both my launcher and Morrowind.exe but resetting those options fixed my problem!

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Owlkill posted:

Thanks for the help - I've installed it into a separate folder to 'Program Files', and I've set it to run as administrator, however when I look in my Morrowind.ini there doesn't appear to be any section called '[Archives]' which is rather worrying!

Edit: I've managed to (kind of) fix the issue by inserting those lines of code into the .ini (found out how here: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0), however when I launch the game now I get a warning message - I forget the exact wording but when I check the 'Warnings.txt' file I get the following:

Another edit: Started a new game, got as far as leaving the boat before a CTD :(

For what it's worth I've also experienced problems with TLM as well, but my "solution" was to install a different mod megapack. I really wanted to use Knot's guide but that was a clusterfuck and I had issues with my warnings file like you've posted in addition to obviously funky lighting issues in some places. Good luck!