Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any sort of setup I need to do for MGE if I have MGE XE, or is the XE gui fine?

I just installed the graphics and sound overhaul, along with MGE XE. The game runs and everything looks pretty good, but it chugs hard every time I look at an NPC. I have a pretty beefy computer and graphics card too. Anything in particular I might be missing?

Edit: Actually, the chugginess is a little more widespread. This is what the view off the ship looks like. The problem is it is running at 5 fps.
http://i.imgur.com/aWiwx.jpg

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay, moving the real time shadows option in-game down from full to nothing completely fixes my slowdown problem. Is that what I should be doing, or is there something else I am missing?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Where are the MGE-XE shadow settings? Maybe I am blind, but I don't see them.

Also, how can I get my crosshair back? During the installation of...something, I checked an option to hide my crosshair unless it is pointing at something. It appears to be off too much though. I don't remember where I selected that though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It worked fine here, and I just did it all about twenty minutes ago. Did you make sure to change to the right install directory with 1.3? Do you have a new morrowind code patch.exe in your Morrowind directory?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I took a quick video after getting off the boat. 1920x1080, using 8xAA and 16xAF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0xf3J7CvA

Is that what everything should look like with the graphics overhaul and MGE-XE? The first time I loaded it up, I was getting some sort of crazy hardcore depth of field effects, where things in front of my face would blur in and out like crazy. That seems to have subsided now. Just want to make sure that it what it should look like with the shaders and all. I am new to this morrowind modding stuff.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Captured with FRAPS, encoded with ripbot264. The x264s I upload to youtube tend to look darker than the source video though. The actual H.264 video has good looking gamma. Not sure why that is.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It is entirely possible that I am not using MGE-XE. I dumped the files from MGE-XE in the morrowind directory though, and I ran the MGE-XE GUI. How can I tell if it is being used?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Protip: Be careful when opening MGE after running MGE-XE. I've had weird things happen where key mappings get duplicated and XE stops working and needs to be reinstalled before it works again.
I think this is what happened with me. I had opened MGE, and it killed MGE-XE. So
no, I don't think I was running it there.

Reinstalling MGE-XE seems to make it work again. And yeah, the shoreline of the water doesn't look as good now. The shaders definitely work now though.

Are people seriously using the depth of field shader though? It seems to change focuses way too quickly, from blurry to completely in focus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp5l1ufRBy8
If I had to play though the game like that I think I would have nonstop headaches.

Also, I think I figured out the reason why real time shadows turns my FPS from great to single digits.

somebody or other posted:

"While looking fantastic, "Detailed & reflective armor" currently is not optimized for the .ini tweak 'real time shadows', not to be confused with MGE XE's shadows."
I think I had turned on the detailed armor in the MGSO options. "Not optimized" in this case means "pretty much unusable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The MGE depth of field shader included in the graphic overhaul is pretty good, I notice. It is called "Playable Depth Of Field", and does help improve the look of distant scenery without loving with things two inches in front of your face. Do MGE shaders work in MGE-XE? If so, it might be nice. I just can't take that default XE depth of field shader.