Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They're both bad but Skyrim is trying to compete with other action games which gives it more direct and therefore embarrassing comparators

As opposed to competing with all the hot new dice-roll rpgs like...um...XCOM I guess? Because people like mathematical rigor in their whiffed 99% shots :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

At the very least I'm excited someone other than Bethesda is trying something in this genre. Competition is good, keeps devs from getting lazy. *Cough* the sims *cough*

Good thing Obsidian and Besthesda are both owned by Microsoft now! :thumbsup:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

how does the skooma pipe work, you know hypothetically? It's just a bong, right? Or is it some kinda hooka system i'm squinting very hard at a very small inventory icon here

It's like one of those toy bubble pipes, only it gets you high

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Morrowind was the first RPG with a huge modding community (Doom was probably the first major modding game and Quake the first 3d one) and some people never left.

There are people making new mods for Doom today as well, but it's a lot more limited in what you can do.

I think the question is why all this new animation stuff is happening now, and not 15 years ago when the modding community had more eyes on the problem. Did someone have to first solve N=NP to add in slav squatting?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHjxFpQ3ZYI

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Level up messages start getting sad

Level15=Today you suddenly realized the life you've been living, the punishment your body has taken -- there are limits to what the body can do, and perhaps you have reached them. You've wondered what it is like to grow old. Well, now you know.

Level16=You've been trying too hard, thinking too much. Relax. Trust your instincts. Just be yourself. Do the little things, and the big things take care of themselves.

Level17=Life isn't over. You can still get smarter, or cleverer, or more experienced, or meaner -- but your body and soul just aren't going to get any younger.

Level18=The challenge now is to stay at the peak as long as you can. You may be as strong today as any mortal who has ever walked the earth, but there's always someone younger, a new challenger.

Level19=You're really good. Maybe the best. And that's why it's so hard to get better. But you just keep trying, because that's the way you are.

Level20=You'll never be better than you are today. If you are lucky, by superhuman effort, you can avoid slipping backwards for a while. But sooner or later, you're going to lose a step, or drop a beat, or miss a detail -- and you'll be gone forever.

Level21=Your best years are already behind you, there's nothing else to look forward to, you might as well just kill yourself already you wretched piece of poo poo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Is this mod or this mod better if I want an expanded Twin Lamps?

I believe they're equally good for your purposes

:ssh: you posted the same link twice

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vivec is worse than a murderer or a theocratic despot or a traitor to his friend or even a usurper of the blasphemous power of a god.

He's a self-insert fanfic writer.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jazerus posted:

that's not true at all because part of vivec experiences time non-linearly. he changed the past by literally going back and doing all of those things (although not all of the things that he did are rendered literally in the sermons), not just snapping his fingers.

vivec is not a "false god" like the other people who tied themselves to lorkhan. he was for a while, but then he used his powers for mystic contemplation and stumbled onto CHIM, which essentially turned him into a real god, as it does for anybody who understands it. yes his most obvious powers like the ghostfence and holding that asteroid above the city are still lorkhan-fueled, he's not shy about using the "false" power because it lets him do things he couldn't otherwise accomplish, but it's CHIM that basically let him separate a part of himself into a "place outside of time", i.e. aetherius. that piece of vivec is truly immortal, and can affect any point in time past or future because it is external to time.

this is exactly the same method that tiber septim used to become talos, and he seems to have gotten to CHIM through using numidium's reality-warping abilities, which may or may not have also been powered by lorkhan depending on whether you believe the arcturian heresy.

vivec is a really, really well-written character because as you delve deeper and deeper you go from "oh huh a god" to "wow this guy sucks and is pathetic, he's just a charlatan" to "he really is a god even though the rest of the tribunal and dagoth ur aren't"

I mean, do we have any corroborating sources other than Vivec himself for how cosmically awesome he is? He IS still an NPC, as much as he'd like not to be, so he can't be THAT outside the Wheel.

Frankly I always thought that he was making all that CHIM stuff up to sound cool and mystical for his cult and was as surprised as anyone when an actual real example of it showed up on his front door.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Imagine being a hosed up freak that imagines a world where bugs smell good. I couldnt come up withe it myself, but that's the kind of twisted genius that gives us Morrowind.

It probably smells like garbage but is full of concentrated pheromones or something

"Ugh, that Telvanni stinks like dead caterpillars. But y'know... there's a certain undefinable allure..."

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I always imagined Vvardenfell as quite cool or even chilly. It’s one of the most northern parts of one of the most northern provinces. Sheogorad at the least is gonna be cold. Hell it’s even full of Nords! I figure that only the Ascadian Isles and Bitter Coast are really “warm” barring standing next to lava pits in Molag Mar.

Vvardenfell is the Iceland of Tamriel

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

drat, then how big is the tradehouse

Canonically, the entire vanilla Morrowind overworld map could fit inside it, complete with a miniature tradehouse

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

c0da is a lot more meta than I remember

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you really want to spend a lot of time do this:

Make a warrior that completes the fighters guild. Do it as low a level as you reasonably can, below level 20.

Do the same thing as a Mage and a Thief.

Then, mod all three into the games as followers; make a forth character, a cowardly merchant. THAT character is the Nerevarine but they're also a coward and worthless in a fight, so they have to bring the first three with them on the quest. Don't load if they die, see if you can finish the game before they're all dead.

So basically be palling around with your own knockoff versions of Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil like in the OG Nerevar days, neat.

Whose gonna be the New Voryn Dagoth?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Come to me, through fryer and war. I welcome you

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The 36 Lessons of Vivec build character in a child

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, poo poo got weird during the Reman Dynasty, huh?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ashurbanipal posted:

I saw caves of qud come up in this thread, bought it, and immediately became enamored. also tried kenshi in the past and, while kinda weird, also an instant temporary addiction. anyone got any other banger recommendations?

Dread Delusion has a bit of that weird early 2000s RPG vibe, still in early access but development continues apace

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574240/Dread_Delusion/

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Vivec city is something Vivec would have designed, as a joke.

It's the 36 Sermons of cities

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FlocksOfMice posted:

Actually he hosed a mountain to death and scattered its bones/dicks while him and his 1000 boyfriends ran under it giggling and where it landed it became Vivec

Vivec totally got off on making his clergy read elaborate smutty fanfiction about himself, didn't he.

At least Tiber Septim kept his weird sex poo poo largely out of the public eye. That wasn't always a good thing, mind you *cough*Barenziah*cough*

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's kinda hilarious that Khajit and Argonians are enslaved untermenschen by virtue of... not wearing shoes. Like that's the class divide

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I still lol that one of the first books you can pick up and read in Morrowind has a page starting with the line "Epstein didn't kill himself"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Musical_Daredevil posted:

That's one of the amazing things about Morrowind's story. You have so many differing accounts about what actually happened (some of which are actively disputed by characters) that you have room to come up with your own truth. It also leaves a lot of room to build your own backstory for your character even though the main plot of the game with all its lore is right there. There have certainly been games since with complicated characters and heroes, but none with just the right amount of ambiguity in the lore to pull something like that off. Certainly not either of the next 2 games in the anthology.

And don't forget, all the poo poo with Nerevar and the Tribunal and Dagoth happened in close proximity to the first activation of Numidium, so all the contradictory stories about the aftermath of the Battle of Red Mountain could all be true at once.

Whoever wrote that explanation for Daggerfall's multiple endings all being canon must be patting himself on the back for coming up with that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Leal posted:

What if I got an F in English despite speaking it?

Then you're qualified to write Starfield quests