Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I've recently finished modding Morrowind using this guide and I'm getting terrible performance with open Morrowind. Like 25 fps in Balmora on a 3090 with dips to 16 at times. This is with a bunch of shadow and water settings turned low. Is this just how Morrowind is, given it's a janky 20 year old game or am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

also they don't recommend mdmd making the list automatically mid /srs

Oh I've got MDMD.

Thanks everyone, I'll give those a try when I get home. I don't think it's memory so much, as the graphics card memory is only half used, but maybe shaders or per pixel lighting.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Captain Theron posted:

Oh I've got MDMD.

Thanks everyone, I'll give those a try when I get home. I don't think it's memory so much, as the graphics card memory is only half used, but maybe shaders or per pixel lighting.

So turning on threaded optimisation in the nvidia control panel actually seems to be the trick here, if anyone ever has the same problem.

God I love Morrowind, it's just such a fully realised place. I just love how messy and complicated it is, how no faction is completely good or evil, they're so much more complex. The Dunmer are simultaneously the victims of exploitative colonialism from the Empire, and the oppressors of untold numbers of enslaved beast folk. The empire is extracting as many resources as fast as they can while also providing education and services to people and bring about the messiah. The Tribunal probably murdered their leader and are huge egotistical assholes, but they do look after the Dunmer and protect them from Dagoth. It's just so much more interesting than the generic fantasy of Skyrim or Oblivion.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I've made a fresh install following Danae's modlist, including UI Revamped and my crosshair is doubled. It's supposed to be just a dot, but it has the default cross as well. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Edit: worked it out, essential indicators was interacting weirdly with it. Reinstalling them both fixed it.

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 21, 2023

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So I've modded Morrowind using Danae's modlist, and I keep getting caught on invisible objects in interior cells. It seems to be related to the pathgrid nodes, as when I toggle pathgrid display, the problem areas correlate with the big red diamonds. Anyone know what I hosed up with my installation?

Edit: here's an example, with a guard and I getting caught up on the red pyramid:

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 31, 2024

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

mbt posted:

I've never heard of this but you can ask in Danae's channel on the morrowind modding discord, she's pretty good at responding to weird bugs

Thanks, I'll give it a go

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

SettingSun posted:

You're telling me! Also I'm also considering training Marksman so I can snipe these goddamn cliff racers out of the air.

After some more questing for the Fighters Guild I was contracted by the steward of Aldruhn's chapter to take out the guildmaster and his cronies on the grounds of corruption. So I did! Now I'm guildmaster. Nice. The fights weren't too tough, and I feel pretty confident about my battles going forward, assuming I prepare adequately against magic.

I regret a bit throwing my hat in with House Hlaalu. The local knowledge said of the three they were the most tolerant of the outlanders, but their underhanded mercantile schtick better suited thievery. I did not understand the value of a faction's favored skills until it became an issue here. I'm a warrior, and this House's favorite skills are all misc for me, so they are lightly trained, which makes advancement more work. I ended up paying for training but this is only going to get me so far. Also my sponsor in Vivec is a huge creep???? Politics, man.

:allears: this is great, please keep us updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Can't have ashfall without mwse!