Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Good OP, Musical_Daredevil.

Does anybody else manually set their "fog start" and "fog end" distances in MGE-XE? I noticed that--even with a relatively high draw distance of 12-15 cells--it likes to auto-calculate a starting distance 0.5 or 1.0 cells ahead of you, washing everything out.

This wouldn't be a huge deal, but I've discovered that setting your "fog start" distance too low can completely negate the effects of lighting mods, since the same settings apply to interior cells. I was wandering around an unlit catacomb, wondering why everything was washed out and grey and I could get around without a light since the fog effect is less than pitch black. Turns out this was my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

soscannonballs posted:

The link to the latest Bloodmoon patch doesn't work for me. I have the Morrowind GOTY version with both expansions, do I still need that patch? It is the CD version not the Steam Version.

Nope. GOTY edition doesn't need the patch.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sometimes I think the only reason I keep playing this game is because of the hat. The hat. Peeled from the arrogant skull of Tarhiel, the Bosmer who tried to claim the sky. Stinking of hubris and greed. The hat craves only one thing: Souls. I will satisfy the hat.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Musical_Daredevil:

There's 6 different files for MGE with some being regular and some being MGE XE. Do we need the top four ones, or just MGE and MGE SE, or just the MGE beta?

(Let me just say a quiet 'hurrdurr' 3 files, got 'em. Duh.)

BUT you do need MGE in order to get MGE-XE working. It needs to install on top of MGE! :science:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there any sort of setup I need to do for MGE if I have MGE XE, or is the XE gui fine?

I just installed the graphics and sound overhaul, along with MGE XE. The game runs and everything looks pretty good, but it chugs hard every time I look at an NPC. I have a pretty beefy computer and graphics card too. Anything in particular I might be missing?

I just started up MGE once before I installed MGE-XE. I didn't change settings or generate Distant Land or anything. You should be fine. You'll probably get a warning when you first start up MGE-XE saying it can't read the previous files because they're bad / missing, but you'll be okay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Okay, moving the real time shadows option in-game down from full to nothing completely fixes my slowdown problem. Is that what I should be doing, or is there something else I am missing?

Bunch of things:

When you generate distant land through MGE-XE, don't change the values for World Texture or Mesh Detail. When you get to the statics portion, uncheck "Include miscellaneous items" and reduce the grass density. Mods like Vurt's Groundcover can murder framerates when set to 100%. Somewhere between 50-65 percent should be good.

Another thing I didn't realize until I was browsing SourceForge: FOV is listed as a source of extreme (their words, not mine) FPS drain, especially if you autoset it and it chooses a value greater than 90. I scaled mine back to 80 degrees.

Don't use "high detail" shadows through MGE-XE, and drop the in-game AI distance down to nothing and see if that does anything (it should.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Some more screens for your viewing pleasure!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

I took a quick video after getting off the boat. 1920x1080, using 8xAA and 16xAF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0xf3J7CvA

Is that what everything should look like with the graphics overhaul and MGE-XE? The first time I loaded it up, I was getting some sort of crazy hardcore depth of field effects, where things in front of my face would blur in and out like crazy. That seems to have subsided now. Just want to make sure that it what it should look like with the shaders and all. I am new to this morrowind modding stuff.

What settings do you have to get your water caustics behaving like that? I love the rolling effect they have, just like a shoreline would look.

EDIT: Are you certain you're using MGE-XE? I didn't realize that there were 3D waves for MGE, but they appear to only be for MGE, not MGE-XE.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 13, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

It is entirely possible that I am not using MGE-XE. I dumped the files from MGE-XE in the morrowind directory though, and I ran the MGE-XE GUI. How can I tell if it is being used?

When you start the game up, it will say what version of MGE you are running in the upper left hand corner.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Question from Mlox:

[NOTE]
> [ALL 'DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp', 'Merged_Objects.esp']
| !! If you use TESTOOL's "Merged_Objects.esp", it is recommended to omit this plugin from the merge.

Does this mean that when I go to merge objects, to not add Merged_Objects (which makes perfect sense) or to omit DN-GDRv1_NOM?

I think it means to omit DN-GDRv1_NOM.esp when you create the Merged_Objects.esp

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Hrm. Need to figure out what to turn off to improve FPS. I'm floating around 20-25 going through cities right now.

Ideas on what to do without completely sacrificing graphics quality?

Quoting myself from the last page:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bunch of things:

When you generate distant land through MGE, don't change the values for World Texture or Mesh Detail. When you get to the statics portion, uncheck "Include miscellaneous items" and reduce the grass density. Mods like Vurt's Groundcover can murder framerates when set to 100%. Somewhere between 50-65 percent should be good.

Another thing I didn't realize until I was browsing SourceForge: FOV is listed as a source of extreme (their words, not mine) FPS drain, especially if you autoset it and it chooses a value greater than 90. I scaled mine back to 80 degrees.

Don't use "high detail" shadows through MGE, and drop the in-game AI distance down to nothing and see if that does anything (it should.)

Also, use MGE to cap your framerate and see if that helps. It sounds counterintuitive, but locking yourself at 40 or 45 FPS seems to increase overall performance and stability. Worse comes to worst, you can always uncap it if you don't see a difference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Poor you. Balmora is at 10 on my system. 20-25 is at least playable and barely even noticeable.

Balmora is 10 on everybody's system :mad:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Dur, thanks. :)

I cut grass down to 75%, turned off distant misc objects. FoV was already at 75%.

did that, and Seyda Neen walking around was still 20-25 FPS.

So cutting back on grass didn't make a difference (I wouldn't expect turning off misc objects would, since Seyda Neen is so small that there really aren't any "distant" misc objects to be drawn.) You should really see if capping the FPS helps.

I personally observed a significant improvement by completely disabling in-game shadows and AI through the menu. SSAO makes up for the lack of stencil shadows, and the lowest-setting AI just makes distant NPCs walk funny until you get closer.

What's your draw distance? If push met shove, another goon suggested that you just patiently go through and set individual settings really high and then really low, and see what helps the most.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Lame as Heck posted:

man every time i see these screenshots im all hell yeah awesome and then i see rings and tats on dude's faces and i get angry

What does this even mean?

Shinino Kage posted:

Here are my specs, btw

Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3 Ghz
Geforce GTX 460 w/ 1GB Ram
8 GB DDR 3
Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm playing the game at 1920x1080, and here are my MGE XE settings:

AA/AX are at 2X, Shaders are turned on. Horz FOV is at 75%, FPS limit is 45. Fog Mode is set for Depth Pixel (Fast)

Under Distant Land setup:
World Texture Res is 2048, World normalmap Res is 1024
World Mesh Detail is set to High
Minimum static size is 150, Grass density percent is 50, Mesh Detail is set to full, Mipmap levels to skip is 1. Activators, interiors behaving like exterior and interiors with water are all checked.
Draw Distance is 20 Cells, Sizes are 150/600/800
Auto-set other distances is checked and set to Draw DistSky, landscape and nearby statics are checked for water reflection
Height of Waves and caustic intensity are both 50%.

HDR Reaction time is set to 2 seconds, Dynamic lighting is set to Quadratic 10, Linear 1.730 and Constant 0.191.
The Excess Junk tab is all greyed out, but Enable Fog is checked, as is Bind AI distance to draw distance. Shader model 3 is enabled.

What would b e the best way to improve my FPS?

Edit: In-Game options are:

AI Distance is one notch from all the way on the left. View Distance is set at about 80%, Gamma is about 50%, and Real-Time Shadows is one-notch from the left.

Loaded game, and 15-25 FPS in Seyda Neen. Turned off Real-Time shadows, lowered View Distance to about 65%, no change to FPS.

If you're using MGE-XE, you'll probably want to push your in-game render distance up to 100%. MGE-XE doesn't like it when you have it set to anything lower than that. Try dropping your Draw Distance through MGE-XE down to 12 or 13. If that doesn't improve your FPS, I'll be really surprised. Twenty cells is a lot, and while it makes for some great screenshots, it can be punishing on your framerates.

Out of curiosity, where did you get those dynamic lighting settings? They're oddly specific, so I'm assuming a weather or lighting mod instructed you to do that. Personally, I've got mine set to the typical Quadratic 2.619, Linear 1, Constant 0.382.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Tufty posted:

I get 15 in Seyda Neen but 20+ in Balmora vOv

Currently following your tips and recreating distant land to see if I can improve on that.

Actually I exaggerate, FPS isn't generally bad at all in Balmora. However there are a few places where you can stand and get most of the city on your screen and that's when your FPS can take a hit. Running around normally isn't bad at all.

Shinino Kage posted:

Okay.

If I strip down to ONLY base game + MGE XE + Morrowind Patch 1.6.5. BTB, and load a new game, I get around 30-40 on the ship (outside) and 26-29 walking through Seyda Neen.

This tells me my mods are only losing me about 4-5 FPS, if that. Am I wrong in thinking I should have MUCH higher FPS with my system?

At 1920 x 1200, with some AA + AF and six or seven shaders...probably not, honestly. I don't use MGSO but I have a rig pretty similar to yours (1st gen i7 CPU though) and there are areas where my FPS takes a hit. It's just not a terribly efficient engine, and even having a great PC doesn't necessarily make a huge difference because the engine isn't optimized to take full advantage of those extra CPU cores and extra RAM.

Side note: MCP is up to version 2.0, I believe. At least that's the version mine is reporting itself as.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Red Baron posted:

Ended up turning down my grass to 35% and my meshes to 75% (what does that part of static creation actually do, anyway?) but I finally cleared 25fps average in Balmora and a solid 30-35 elsewhere outdoors. I read earlier in this thread/the last thread to un-check "misc objects" during static creation, but there wasn't any explanation about what that did or how big of a gain it actually got you, can anyone illuminate that a little more?

MGE's Static Creation Mesh Detail controls the level of detail that distant objects are rendered (objects like trees and rocks rendered in distant cells.) You can generally get away with lowering this value without a significant penalty to visuals, since the objects are far away.

If you choose to include "miscellaneous objects" in your Distant Land Static Generation, the game will generate everything from barrels to lamps in distant cells. Obviously this can negatively impact performance if you're running a lot of mods and mesh-replacements for everyday items. I leave this unchecked, since I don't really care if the game doesn't render boxes and barrels three cells away from me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Red Baron posted:

Oh! That makes a lot more sense. I'll definitely try lowering the meshes even more and unchecking the misc objects. Any idea at what percentage do distant meshes start to look "bad"?

It definitely depends on what sorts of meshes you're talking about. I imagine most people are using Vurt's trees, but some of his trees fare well with 50% of their detail being cut. Others...not so much. I usually go ~75% mesh detail. I think 50% is the threshold where everything starts looking bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

This is loving hilarious.

It really is. I enabled the feature in MCP because it sounded fair. I can use racial abilities so why shouldn't the NPCs be able to? Turns out it's a terrible idea, because unlike you, every enemy is saving their daily racial ability just for you.

Different subject, but I'm wondering why a lot of interior cells want to continue using a short "fog start" value, even when I set it to something higher through MGE-XE. If I save my game in the interior cell in question and then reload, the fog is gone and the cell is back to using what I told it to (which makes it significantly darker.) I just hate having all of these dimly glowing, foggy caves, and I'm not sure why it isn't using my settings right off the bat. Any ideas?

EDIT: To illustrate my problem, here are some screenshots. The first image is what it looks like when I enter a new interior cell. Note how the fog "brightens" the room up in this unnatural way. The second image is what the same interior cell looks like when I reload my game.

More random screenshots.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 19, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Well, the solution to my aforementioned problem seemed to have been resolved by setting "Linear" lighting to 1.0 again (it was at 3.0, mistakenly.)

In other news, I appear to have found a baby.

Its name is "Baby." There is an asterisk next to its name. I found it outside the Temple in Ald'Ruhn. There are only two quest mods loaded: Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins, and Great House Dagoth. I'm assuming it belongs to one of these. Without spoilering the surprise too much, what's the deal with this baby?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

You obviously have to eat it in order to properly blend in with House Dagoth if you want to successfully infiltrate it.

But really the only mod I know of that adds in babies is MCA.

It's actually funny because you pick it up like any other item, and it goes right into your inventory. If you "equip" it, you carry it around like the screenshot demonstrates. It was lying in a basket with a bottle and a note that basically said, "Please take care of this baby, I am a poor, grieving mother." Part of me wants to carry it around with me everywhere I go, spelunking in caves and battling dremora in Daedric ruins with a baby in one arm.

I'm not using MCA, though. :iiam:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Red Baron posted:

What is going on? The only thing to have happened to my Morrowind install between now and the last time I played it was I ran Defraggler. What the christ, Morrowind. You have a mind of your own.

e: Selecting "Cancel/Yes To All" only causes the program to hang infinitely at the part where the Bethesda logo would normally play.

I assume it's giving you this error when you start the game up? Is this on a Steam version?

Flaky posted:

I have a weird problem with the Morrowind Grass mod. I can't walk through grass anymore, it seems to act like an invisible wall. This follows me changing a bunch of stuff in MGE so it is probably something to do with that. Any ideas?

If you've activated the grass mod to generate grass in MGE, you need to uncheck it while playing the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Positronic Spleen posted:

Are you sure the baby didn't come from "Hold It"? http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7474

:sigh:

Yeah, I'm using "Hold It." So I guess that means this Baby isn't worth anything? I won't have to raise it because it's got the evil seed in it?

Maybe I can get a few gold for it, at least. Or I can just dump it in a crate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Don't use TLM. Use "True Lights and Darkness" instead. I've recommended it a couple of times, but using that in conjunction with the typical lighting tweaks (2.619 Quadratic, 1.0 Linear, 0.382 Constant) makes for a gorgeous game with pitch black caves and rich lighting.

Also, it seems like a ton of people have problems with MGSO. I hardly know what the gently caress that is, but it seems like it's more trouble than its worth.

EDIT:

Some screenshots of True Lights and Darkness with MGE-XE SSAO shaders:

And when used in conjunction with SWG Skies V3.0 / Vurt's Hi-Res Skies / Morrowind.ini tweaks for weather, you can get some pretty impressive environments:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Musical_Daredevil posted:

I added a section for manual installation of mods (i.e. MCP/MGE) to the OP under "Adding Shaders". Would some brave soul would like to test it and make sure it works?

Edit: ...or that I didn't forget anything?

Manual installations are the only way I've ever modified Morrowind, so I've taken a look at your instructions. I'd suggest adding several tools to the mix.

1. MLOX (and the latest rules update): This will look at your load order and offer helpful advice to rearranging it. Unlike BOSS for Oblivion and Fallout, MLOX will actually explain why it wants you to rearrange your load order. If there are redundant plugins, it'll tell you. If you shouldn't include certain plugins in a TESTool merger, it'll tell you that, too. Very helpful, especially for people like me who might haphazardly dump a bunch of mods into my data folder.

2. TESTool. This will allow you clean Masters and Esps, merge object lists, and leveled lists (it does dialogue mergers too, but apparently you really shouldn't do that.) It's especially important for users manually installing their own mix of mods.

As far as things you might add to your highly recommended mod list, I'd say:

Taddeus' "On the Rocks!" series. It doesn't change gameplay, but it replaces virtually every rock and boulder in the game with an improved mesh and texture. This is especially nice when used in conjunction with high-resolution texture packs (Connary's, for example) because the vanilla rocks start to stand out like a sore thumb.

Then there's AOF's Waterfalls and AOF's Potions, which improves the waterfall and potion meshes immensely. OBSERVE:

There are a lot of other mesh and textures minutiae, but between these and your currently listed mods, I think you're setting people off on the right foot.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 22, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I added Mlox and TESTool right before MGE in that order. Is that where they should go?

TESTool and Mlox aren't technically installed, they're simply drag / dropped into your Morrowind folder wherever is convenient. Nothing they have is overwritten by other utilities like MGE or MWSE, so you can pretty much install them whenever you'd like. Actually, they're useless until after you've got your mods installed, since they need to look at what you've got and figure out what to do with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

All I want is to run Morrowind with original graphics in widescreen. Will I be fine with the Morrowind Code Patcher and MGE?

I don't even know if you need MCP for that goal, but yeah, you'd get what you want with just MCP and MGE.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

AXE COP posted:

Just wanna post and say the only mod you will ever need is the MGE. Unlike Oblivion where I can install a thousand gameplay mods and never quite be satisfied, Morrowind is perfect from the get-go.

I really am looking forward to MGE-XE picking up MGE's water shaders. They just look so drat good. :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Looking for some help: MGEGui crashes on start up with "MGEGui has stopped responding". This is on a fresh install of Morrowind & co. on Windows 7 64-bit and installing the Overhaul after patching Bloodmoon. I did NOT turn off UAC when installing the Overhaul because it sounded like the poo poo that starts when somebody screws up the install and blames it on Windows. Now I'm wondering if that is actually essential when installing or if there's another possible cause for MGEGui to fail. I also really don't want to turn off UAC just to play pretty Morrowind if I always have to have UAC off.

I've tried running MGEGui as an admin and with various compatability modes with no luck. I turned DEP to OptIn mode instead of OptOut (I can't add MGEGui to the DEP whitelist for some reason). Morrowind isn't installed to any ProgramFiles or even on the C:\ drive with Windows.

Help :(

*edit*
This was with MGSO v1.0. I did update 1.1->1.2->1.3 but it didn't make any difference.

Out of curiosity, did you try to run the game at least once before trying to run MGE?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Themage posted:

When I select Vurt's bushy textures for installation in MGSO it instead puts Vality's in my data-files folder. I'm guessing its not supposed to do this?

No. Probably not. Unless it's using Vality's AI but Vurt's trees and textures. I think they did something like that, so you could get the flora density of Vality's with the detail of Vurts (this is insane.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vagon posted:

The Great House Dagon mod was actually really good. The writing is well done, especially in comparison to the Sixth House mod. It keeps the feeling of the game dynamic and not quite as black and white as it could have gone. You don't really feel all out 'evil' while playing it.

QFT. This is especially true if you read into a lot of in-game literature regarding the Tribunal, Nerevarine, and Dagoth, and who might have betrayed who. It's not so black and white.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

I installed the overhaul and all patches, and Morrowind runs with all the mods and new textures. But MGE doesn't seem to be running, or at the very least some elements aren't working. My resolution won't go above 1600x1200, even when set to 1920x1080 in MGE. Shaders seem to be half-working - I don't know, underwater blur seems to go into effect, but other than that there's no noticeable differences. The worst problem is the water looks totally awful. There's no MGE effects on the water, no caustic effects from jumping in and out, and no ripples when it rains.

It doesn't sound like MGE is even running, then. Make sure you game isn't installed to Program Files, and then go and set each executable to "Run as Administrator" (MWSE, Morrowind, and MGE.) MGE not starting up with Morrowind is usually because one of the programs doesn't have administrator privileges.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Quest/content mods that fit in well with the game, aside from Tamriel Rebuilt/etc? High quality stuff that either fleshes out existing factions or adds new, lore friendly factions?

Great House Dagoth allows you to actually take Lord Dagoth up on his Sleepers' offer and join and work for the 6th House. It's done in this really cool way that isn't mustache-twirling evil. Well written and a nice alternate path to the main quest.

Greater Dwemer Ruins makes the quest for Keening and Sunder pretty epic. I haven't played much of it yet but I've only heard good things about it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

[*]Sixth House (the good Sixth House/Great House Dagoth mod :colbert:, but seriously the other one is buggy, otherwise it might be as good but probably not)

My Great House Dagoth mod is better than your Sixth House mod because of this:

quote:

I have used the shapeshifting scripts from Scripted Spells with Cortex's permission to produce a physical transformation in the player, allowing the player to advance through the stages of development from Ash Slave to Ascended Sleeper.

Becoming an Cthulhu-esque nightmare is just about the coolest thing ever. :c00lbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

sicDaniel posted:

I'm having a strange problem with my fresh Morrowind install: It won't run in fullscreen. I basically followed the "install manually" instructions from the OP. I don't have MGE or even MWSE because my system can't handle those. I exclusively use mods that add content and texture packs (from the OP), TESTool, mlox, codepatch and the exe-optimizer.

My desktop resolution is 1280x1024. I want to run Morrowind in 1024x768 and it runs in a window even with fullscreen activated in the options.

I use a Geforce7300 GS, DirectX 9.0c on Windows7 32bit. I don't even know where to look for a solution, Google doesn't help either, it just gives me some people having problems with widescreen monitors (which I don't have) and their solution doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

sicDaniel posted:

Thanks, Musical_Daredevil. FPS Optimizer didn't make a difference and neither did ViperArrow's advice, but I tried disabling Win7's visual themes manually before starting Morrowind and that works, for some weird reason.

Yeah, disabling Windows 7 visual themes and / or running the executable in Windows XP SP2 compatibility modes seems to do the trick for some users. Glad you fixed your problem though.

Out of curiosity, why can't your system handle MWSE / MGE? MGE is a pretty flexible program that can be run without all of the graphics-intensive features like shaders and distant land. I would have figured you could have installed those, set your custom resolution, and left everything else alone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

Wow this does look pretty amazing with everything installed. The atmosphere of the original game is even better now. Only problem is I get 10-15 FPS. Pretty funny, since I can run Fallout New Vegas at max settings with lots of mods. Guess I need to turn down some settings.

But yeah the depth of field takes a bit of getting used to.

You can get away with lowering a lot of MGE / MGE-XE settings to increase performance with minimal visual impact. Beyond that, you have to remember that you're working with an old version of the Gamebryo engine and no occlusion culling. Even high-end PCs can have trouble running a fully-modded Morrowind, so don't feel too bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

I get 60 FPS when looking through my inventory and reading books, so maybe I should just do that the whole game!

Seriously though, the only way I can make the game playable is to tick the box that says "Disable internal version of MWSE". I thought that would screw up a lot of mods, but I can't see any difference yet. Any idea what that will screw up?

I've never been sure about that option, to be entirely honest. I have noticed an increase in general performance by telling MGE-XE to cap my framerate to 45 FPS, however. Try that out and see if it helps at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

Yeah capping my framerate to 30 or 100 doesn't seem to make much difference. Neither does lowering any of the world textures resolution, mesh details etc.

The only things that really work for me are dramatically reducing draw distance (which looks stupid and only adds about 5 FPS) and disabling the internal MWSE, which lifts my framerate to 15-60, depending how fast I turn around.

The only thing that seems to have been affected by disabling the internal MWSE is Gratuitous Violence - I can't run the configuration menu any more. But i'm not sure.

Which of the shaders makes distant land stuff (like hills and silt striders) cast shadows? It doesn't always look great so I'd like to disable it.

I believe that when you're generating distant land, "minimum static size" is what you'd be looking for. It's 150 by default. What that means is that if an object has a size "value" of less than 150, it won't be drawn in distant cells, nor will it generate a dynamic shadow--even up close. So if you raise this value to, say, 400, you can significantly reduce the number of objects and shadows that are drawn and calculated. Conversely, if you set it to a really low value like 25, everything will have a shadow and your PC will probably poo poo itself.

EDIT: Also, like you've figured out, it's definitely good to play around with the number of cells rendered in distant land. I find that a value of 10 or 12 is a nice compromise between performance and visuals. And if you're running mods that add additional script routines to NPCs, reducing AI distance through the in-game slider could help a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 23, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Disco De Soto posted:

My minimum static size was set to 400 by default, but everyone seems to recommend lowering it to 150. I put mine on 250. What do you set your "medium" and "far" static size to? Mine are on 400 and 800.

I found a weird way to turn off shadows using MGE XE: Bind a "toggle distant statics" key in the macro editor. This currently toggles shadows instead, according to this guide http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1114956-shelter-from-magnus-blaze-2/

When I turned off the internal version of MWSE, it definitely broke Gratuitous Violence. Oh well. Now to figure out what other mods aren't working...

Were you using MGE prior to installing MGE-XE? In that case, it was probably looking at your MGE settings. I know that installing MGE-XE on top of MGE without touching the latter will revert MGE-XE back to true defaults, which is where the 150 (the same value that a lot of people, including the instructions, tell to you set it to.) I never really saw a *huge* difference between the settings (150 compared to 400) except while using grass mods and AA filters, in which case, 150 ate up FPS moreso than 400. I'm not near my other computer right now, but I think the settings are somewhere around 400 and 650 or so for the other two distances.

150 definitely ups the shadow counts that MGE-XE draws, which increases visual quality and showcases one of the big differences between MGE and MGE-XE (besides optimized code.) I think that's the main reason most people recommend that setting.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I finally bought an SA account just so I could participate in this topic, even though I've been lurking for a long time. I just picked up MW again and went through Knot's Morrowind Modding guide which was linked earlier in this thread. I got through it all and it looks fantastic. The problem is the FPS isnt good at all. something like 15 in Seyda Neen, about 20-25 wandering the countryside and Balmora is 10-15. Ive tried playing with some settings but cant seem to get much more.

Here is the hardware Im dealing with: GeForce 260m, Intel Core Duo P9750, 4 GB RAM, and my display (it's a laptop, duh) is wide screen (16.9 in) with a native resolution of 1366x768.

Can anyone give me any ideas of some settings to use as a baseline in XE? Ive already tried dialing grass/groundcover down to 50%? Is anyone using hardware similar to mine and getting good framerates? Or am I just screwed? FWIW, the game seems pretty smooth in terms of playing it but I still feel like I should be getting a little more? BTW I did try capping the FPS, that seemed to help a touch.

Preface: I don't use Knot's Morrowind Modding guide, but I've just checked it out. There is a lot of overlap between the guide and what I do.

One of the bigger determinants of framerate comes from your static meshes (grass, trees), especially on that laptop. Some of Vurt's foliage mods can really hurt your performance, especially when they're combined with Vality's mod to make swamps and forests denser. I'd look at disabling tree mods, regenerating statics, and seeing what the FPS difference is. Obviously you don't want to play the game without any trees whatsoever, but I've noticed some of Vurt's work performs really well while other versions perform like poo poo.

The other is probably draw distance. What is your draw distance set to?

Anti-Aliasing will probably kill you, too, moreso when used on top of MGE / MGE-XE's filters like SSAO and DoF. If you have any AA, disable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

Draw distance is set to like 6 right now. I have a strong suspicion that the combination of Vaility's mod with Vurts may be what is causing a lot of the FPS hit. That said, I'm going to disable anti-aliasing and see if that helps first. One thing I refuse to get rid of is the water stuff and reflection. It looks loving phenomenal.

Do you think it would be worth to clean out my install and try the guide listed in this thread? It seems to be a little less mod-intensive than Knot's.

A draw distance of 6 isn't bad at all. Water caustics / reflection settings don't seem to impact performance much (unless you have MGE water set up to draw reflections for everything.) Disabling AA should definitely lighten your load, though I'm not sure how much. I bet the biggest difference is going to come from the foliage mods you're using.

I figure you should troubleshoot your current setup before scrapping it and starting over with the OP's. At a minimum, you might figure out what mods don't perform well on your laptop, and that will help you pick and choose what you're going with on your next install.

Disco De Soto posted:

The only thing that worked for me was to disable MGE XE internal version of Morrowind Script Extender (MWSE). Maybe on some systems it's the mods using MWSE that's killing the frame rate, rather than the grass or draw distance.

A lot of script intensive or poorly written mods could definitely be causing a bottleneck. If you have a bunch of things checking for conditions 20 times a second, I imagine your performance could be impacted by that.

One thing to do (which I keep forgetting to put in the OP) in order to determine what's causing your framerate to drop is to bind MGE-XE's toggle functions to different keys in the macro editor (under "In Game"), toggle them on or off, and watch what your framerate does. I've found on my personal computer (which is a somewhat decent laptop I use for 3D rendering, so I feel your pain, vulturesrow) that AA only affects it by 1-2 FPS. LOD is (obviously) the biggest, but MWSE and AI functions will probably be your biggest town-dependent ones, since the engine has to process a lot of different things with a (relatively) large number of NPCs.

This is definitely good advice--get it in the OP!

AA may not have a tremendous impact at lower resolutions like Vulturesrow's setup, but I've noticed that it can really make a difference in areas with high volumes of grass and foliage.