Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
There's a new fix for MSGO concerning Ald Redaynia CTD's. It was caused by the Poorly Placed Objects Fix ESM, a new one is at the link.
http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php/topic,1563.0.html

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv That site now just takes you here anyways: http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads_01.html#bloodmoon

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Positronic: Can you possibly get a direct link to the fix? The page you linked says it's attached to the post, but I'm not finding it.
http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1563.0;attach=154
Could be for logged-in users only, it was at the very bottom of the post. If it still doesn't work I could try rehosting it.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Yeah, it's just weird, it's always done that for me too.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Bootstrap Beefstud posted:

which Telvanni Councillor should I become the Mouth of?
I thought there was only one available, in Tel Vos.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
This is probably a really stupid question, but where do I get the TES CS for Morrowind? I'm only getting junk results through Google search, but it definitely exists.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Okay, so I found this: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29388

When I used the terrible alternative programs I had no problem, but this is throwing a fit when I load just the official ESMs:

quote:

Chunk size 10 too big in chunk WEAT_ID in form REGN_ID. Max size is 8, data truncated to <unintelligible>
A quick search says that it's because Bloodmoon was installed before Tribunal. I mean, installed? Aren't they just ESMs that I date into a load order?

edit: Oh ho, it's talking about the PATCHES. Well great, is it going to break my game to install them over the Steam version?

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Huh, I don't think there are any hostile people outside near Seyda Neen (the cave is a different story). It must be some kind of mod. I can't say if it's that specific mod, but if it's the only one, it must be. Actually, what are the aggressor's names?

edit: Holy poo poo, I just blew my mind. Weapon damage isn't random, it's based on how far back you wind up before you release the attack button; that's why fast weapons have a higher min damage (and how enemies took thirty hits to die). Now the game's just going to be even easier.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

Ok I fixed my robe mesh problem, but now I am running into a new problem. Sometimes my game just crashes. There aren't any error messages or anything, it just closes. It is still playable, I would just have to quicksave a lot, but does anyone know what could be causing this?
Is it random or does it happen in the same place? I had the same thing happen and it turned out to be the Poorly Placed Object.esm doing something.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Shinino Kage posted:

Since they kill me so quick I can't catch their names, is there a console command I can use to determine this?
Yeah, just click on them when the console is open and their ID (concatenated with some irrelevant index number) should appear in the title of the console window. In fact, if you're just looking to get past them for now, you could type
code:
disable
after selecting each and they'll go away.

By the way, what is Warhammer Fix? I can't find it anywhere.

soscannonballs posted:

Well I haven't been to too many places yet, but each time it has been in the starter smuggler cave by Seyda Neen.
Without a full mod list I can only guess, it might be a problem with an ESM file. Try disabling every one that wasn't made by Bethesda and then seeing if it works.

If it isn't resolved, first delete warnings.txt, then run the game and get it to crash again. If the engine catches any problems that doesn't immediately make it explode, they'll be the only ones in there now. It could help.

And if you still have problems, you may have to start disabling ESP files to pinpoint the problem plugin.

If you have a LOT of mods the fastest way is:
1. Start with everything unchecked (except the ESMs, if they work), make sure there's no problem like this
2. Activate about half of the plugins
3. If the problem doesn't return, activate half of what's left each try (unless there's only one plugin left, then you've isolated the problem)
4. If the problem comes back, uncheck half of those plugins you most recently activated
4a. If the problem stays, do it again
4b. If the problem goes away, check half of what you just unchecked, then do it again

If you have less than 100 plugins, you can just try 10 or fewer at a time, that may be easier to keep track of.

Also, make sure you're using Mashed Lists, Merged Objects, and the load order is set. It couldn't hurt to check the load order again, too; Mlox.exe is a load order sorting tool, but it also gives advice regarding updates and compatibility that were written by hand (for example, I can't find TLD Siege at Firemoth, but it says it exists).

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Did you steal from them or something? Does running back to the guards do anything? Ancestral Ghost is not exactly a common spell, so it does really sound like NPC powers were activated.

edit: Yep, MWEdit confirms that nobody in or near Seyda Neen has Ancestral Ghost as a spell.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 18, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I am now 100% certain that it is one of Starfire's mods. MWEdit is a bastard to navigate (who designs a UI and forgets the scrollbar?), but I think I found the entry. Odd, though, no spells, 0 in all skills, autocalc attributes, etc. They're implemented like normal commoners. One crazy as hell script, though.

I probably should have done this earlier, but I had to look it up. I think you can pacify them with the console, and then see if anything happens later. I can't test it until tomorrow, but I guess you just open the console, click them, and then type
code:
stopCombat
but they'll keep attacking if they're naturally hostile. Could be disposition, maybe? Tadali is set to 44 naturally. Then you may have to use
code:
moddisposition player <someNumber>
which increases their disposition by the number.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Well, it's Steam's executable so I don't think I could run any patch if I wanted to. Apparently the patch edits the TES CS executable, and the one I linked to is for just MW and/or Tribunal. I guess they never released the Morrowind CS outside of the CD release because of the way Data Files works? I just decided to use MWEdit instead anyways, I won't be doing any landscape editing and I can sort by "changed by active file". Even if it does lack a scroll bar.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Are you sure the baby didn't come from "Hold It"? http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7474

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 19, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Also make sure you're not using more than one monitor, MGE hates that.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

Is passive wildlife working alright alongside Morrowind Advanced? I installed MA as it was on BTB's list and have been largely regretting it. The creatures added are poorly reskinned Daedra hacked to be incredibly annoying, as if wandering about in Vvandenfell needed more respawning annoyances. I'd turn it off but I'm afraid of frakking up my save.
I think there's a compatibility patch out there somewhere. It might require merging stuff, although I haven't tried; I'm not sure if Merged Objects includes creature records.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
It's another one of those things from the code patch.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

The Grammar Aryan posted:

So I did all the Steam-related stuff, and got everything functional, save for some stability issues. I was getting errors when traveling to areas that some type of flora or glow file was missing from somewhere, and whether the executable should continue running.

So I reran the Overhaul 1.3 patch from the Morrowind directory, which fixed it up, rebuilt Distant Lands, and now the SSAO and Depth of Field blur are being drawn on top of my UI elements, making text all smeary and blurry and icons all fuzzy- any idea what I can do? I get the feeling there's some kind of .ini edit I need to make, but I don't know where to start.
Morrowind Code Patch has an option to realign the user interface, but the shaders use that misalignment to differentiate the menus from everything else, so enabling it causes them to draw over the menus. You should be able to just run it again and uncheck that option.

Also, if you're using the Steam version, Flora Glow.bsa won't be registered in morrowind.ini because the automated program only works with the disc version. I think the OP should have instructions on this, it's only one line you have to add.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I had the same problem once (same drive & location, too), but all I can say is I reinstalled using MSGO and it worked. There is a hotkey option in mgegui that lets you toggle shaders, maybe see if that does anything.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Captain Internet posted:

Okay, this is the fourth time I am going to be trying to play Morrowind. I picked up the GOTY Edition 5 years ago or so but I've never been able to keep playing it. The incredibly slow pace from place to place, I ended up doing some sort of cheating non-sense. I tended to opt for some redguard, nord, or imperial hack and slash but I never tried magic because I felt gimped right out of the gate.

Due to the incredible amount of CHOICE in this game I have become paralyzed by said choices. Can someone give me some sort of baseline character build and some soft goals I should strive for? I always ended up in Balmora, running some warrior quest or whatever and getting stuck in the loving Dewmer ruins playing inventory juggling. I just need a character so I can loosen up and not worry about playing the game right and just keep playing it.
Every character does a lot of physical combat; magic is hard to rely solely upon and stealth is kind of crappy. Enchanted items can help, though. Ignoring min/max, just keep a weapon and armor in your major skills, use those until you've trained something else, and you should be fine. Just remember not to attack with empty fatigue (green), your weapon will probably break before you hit (somehow) at lower levels. Stamina is VERY IMPORTANT. Also, the damage range on weapons is surprisingly not random, it's based on how much "wind up" you have (spamming attack is the low end, holding it for a second is max).

For leveling up, don't worry about it too much. If you don't have enough points in an attribute you want, just reload the autosave and do something else. By the time you're done with a dozen or two quests you should be on your way to infinite riches. You don't even have to worry about magic at all if you don't want to, but it can make things more fun.

If you want to boost your movement speed, head northwest of Ald'Rhun, there should be an NPC on the road who wants you to help with a quest, and you get some enchanted boots that make you run fast and silly. You will need to make a spell of Resist Magicka of duration 1 and magnitude 100-100 to not be blind wearing them; it should be cheap, but you'll need to buy a spell somewhere with that effect before you can make another one with it.

It also helps to use the intervention spells, teleporting you to the nearest temple (almsivi) or imperial cult altar (divine). Basically, the nearest medium-sized town. Get an enchanted amulet for both, they are incredibly convenient and require no magic skill.

For quests, I recommend taking the Silt Strider from Seyda Neen to Balmora, dropping off the package, and then ignoring the main quest. Go to the temple and do the pilgrimages, it'll help you get familiarized with traveling. Note that aside from Silt Striders, you can sometimes travel by means of boat or teleportation via the mages' guild. Also, there are some scrolls called "Guide to <thing>" that helps fill in some locations on your map, they should be in stores, or bookstores, sometimes just lying around; you don't have to buy them, just read them. You could also join a guild, but do ALL of the thieves guild before the fighter's guild, it helps avoid being locked out of quests for seemingly no reason. I'd wait on joining a house until later, you can only join one per character.

There's also this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Starting_out
The rest of the wiki can help if you're looking for more quests, or to find out if something broke, etc. There's also a map on there somewhere if you're lost.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Tufty posted:

I like to use mods to fix a lot of what you mentioned - it makes the game much more enjoyable for me.
Magicka Regeneration makes The Atronarch sign ridiculously powerful (unless it accounts for it somehow). But otherwise, yeah, I wrote that assuming a minimalist set of mods. I'm actually making my own mods that are simultaneously more comprehensive and less invasive than typical. Speaking of which, can anyone point me to armor and weapon rebalancing mod(s) that doesn't add content or make the really good stuff even better? Something to adjust existing armor to eliminate the huge leaps in quality, e.g. newtscale 10 -> glass 50, or dwemer 20 -> ebony 60. I could make my own of that, but it means editing a LOT of records.

Musical_Daredevil posted:

One thing I highly recommend doing (even without a magic-based character) is joining the Mages Guild and doing Edwinna Albert's quests in Ald-Ruhn. At some point, she gives you amulets of Almsivi and Divine Intervention.
I had forgotten where I got those. That's a good place to start, too.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
If anyone has ever had problems with installing MSGO, don't feel bad about it; I just had it fail for me (reproducibly) on a pristine backup that worked before. :what:

edit: It was complaining about not being able to find a file. That's because it hit Windows 7's 269 character filepath limit! How? Mostly hashes used as massive loving file names (looks like well over 60 characters), twice in a path! :argh: I know it's the code patch, it was in the mcpatch directory.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 11, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that heads a slight headbob? I think my biggest gripe with Morrowind now in it's late age is how static the world feels and I think a headbob would help alleviate that.
This sounds like it should work: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7773

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Hover over the colored squares from the menu, I think it's on the spells box (for some reason). Look for a red box. Note that these are for effects, not individual diseases/spells, so one spell/disease can make multiple boxes or share ones that already exist from a different spell/disease. They'll still tell you where they come from.

It's very unlikely to be poison, I think that only comes from big green spells. And it could be a Damage Attribute spell, but only if you angered a wizard somewhere. It's probably a common disease, distinct from blight, both of which happen randomly from wild animals (BTB made it so you can't tell when animals are sick, which is more "pain in the rear end" than "challenge").

To get rid of it, go to a temple (a shrine inside), an imperial cult altar, use a spell, or use a potion -- you're looking for the Cure Common Disease effect. Unless it was that Damage Attribute spell, in which case Restore Attribute is what you want; it'll also "fix" disease penalties (temporarily?), but you won't be cured and will have a speech disposition penalty until you are. Most major towns have one of the first two, and most potion merchants have the last one. The agility is not gone forever, but BTB made diseases more common and more dangerous, so expect it to happen a lot!

I really don't recommend BTB mods for new players. Or anyone who isn't a masochist. His edits to existing things are good, though.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 11, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I think he has an alternate plugin that restores skill progression, but I honestly did not know that he disabled enchantment recharging even after I read the readmes several times when making my own less insane version of his mods. I know he "disabled" (read: made impossible) manual enchanting for some reason. It's like Deus Ex and Shifter, you can't get the fixes without all the other crap. Actually, a lot of his decisions seem to stem from the idea that Morrowind can be "fixed" and made balanced for experienced power-gamers, but from what I've seen too much broken crap is part of the engine's hard-code for that to be realistic.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've just noticed that when it rains, the rain doesn't actually make any sound. The only sound related mod I have installed is Atmospheric Sound Effects. I've tried changing the sound mode but that didn't do anything. So does anybody know of a mod that replaces the sound of rain?
I think you should still be able to hear rain. The sounds for rain should be in the "Data Files\Sound\Fx\envrn" folder as rain.wav, rainHVY.wav, and several thndr_***.wav files. See if they exist, or even play them to check if they actually make sound. If they do, but aren't in the game, something broke and it ain't ASE. Maybe the files went to the wrong place?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I had completely forgotten how terrible crime is handled in this game, probably because I beat Skyrim since last time and it spoiled me. The only ways I know of to get around Morrowind's poo poo-tacular stolen items flag are to either edit the save file or use Crime Enhanced. CE is is as close to the Skyrim stolen item/fence system as the engine can probably permit, but it seems that one needs to modify the EXE to use it, so I doubt it works with the code patch. :mad: I'll probably end up poking around with Cheat Engine and see if I can't just disable the flags triggering altogether if it won't play nice.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is Medium Armour ever worth using at all?
It is when an early character in Vivec finds a full set of adamantium armor just lying around begging to be stolen. Later on it's still somewhat useful if your concept of "use" includes "sell".

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
The way theft works in Morrowind is that stealing an item means you can't sell/enchant that kind of item with the owner ever again. It doesn't matter if you pay the fine, go to jail, the item was confiscated (returned?), you didn't get caught taking it at all, or you drop the evidence somewhere else and use a totally different instance from the other side of the continent; for example, if you steal a diamond, then the owner will always assume ALL of your diamonds are theirs, forever. It's not really a problem for me to identify what is or is not stolen, but the NPCs' problem. Crime Enhanced would have been a good enough compromise, but it uses a custom version of MGE, a seemingly really old EXE extension which I guess doesn't work with the Steam version. In subsequent games, they tied the stolen flag to specific item instances, but then it also wouldn't allow you to incriminate yourself or single out the offending item anyways.

I almost never used beds (atronach) to say if their ownership would annoy me or not, but then I forgot to use the DB attack delay mod and was suddenly in possession of hilariously unbalanced armor at level 1. Anyone want to recommend an armor AR rebalance mod? Preferably something that doesn't conflict with MSGO's stuff, but I understand that might be impossible.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I'm getting an error for "a_glass_boots_GND.nif", referring to the mesh for glass boots "on the ground", after installing MSGO. All I can find through Google is a reference to some 'Baldurians Transparent Glass Armors' mod, which does not use an ESP file so I can't tell if it is used in MSGO, what version it would be, and if it's the problem. Plus there's no changelog, so I can't tell if it was fixed. It looks like it's in the 'Data Files/meshes/A/' folder, so I have no idea what the problem is. Is the game case sensitive or something?

edit: I'm dumb and forgot the actual error message, it was just a misplaced texture. Some weapon glow thing (TX_W_something_something_glow.dds) in the armor texture folder instead of root textures.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 25, 2012

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Wait, there's a problem with Distant Lands in Steam? I didn't notice anything, but then I have it turned way down, so for all I know it was never on to begin with. I remember I used to have it on a lot higher, though. Is it an MGE version thing?

Install the workaround first, MSGO doesn't actually replace the EXE, it just patches/modifies the one it finds.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I don't think there's a built-in level cap, it's just based on how many times you can get those ten major/minor increases. I deliberately made my major/minor skills start as low as possible for this reason, and I cap somewhere in the mid-70's, having maxed out a Dunmer's attributes around the upper 40's with all x5's (except luck, at 51). I assume 100 is the engine's permitted maximum since that's as high as NPCs go in the expansions (although levels do not necessarily reflect NPC abilities).

Picking the worst major/minor was fine for me because I had a general idea of what doesn't level-scale, and I would use my massive bags of money to train at my convenience, doing maybe twenty levels in one big lump. I'd prefer using GCD, except that I don't like how it uncaps skill gains, which normally stop at 100.