Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

hello everyone i'm one of FlocksOfMice's roommates and i read through this entire thread to pass time at work/while sick. wanted you all to know that i tormented her with various things posted in this thread while going through it thanks for all the laughs.

Also: Playing through the new TR release and it's spectacular as always. The mundanity of having a thing like a college in Firewatch is really awesome and probably one of my favorite things about TR, having things like that really grounds portions of the setting and makes the rest of it pop even more vividly. It makes me want to write poo poo.

Is there a Thieves Guild thing implemented in Andothren or is that still a WIP?

I need to try a non-OpenMW run one of these days to try out some MWSE like Ashfall but I'm so spoiled by OpenMW's performance and smoothness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

it finished way too late to our release to be properly reviewed so it didn't make it in. it's done theoretically but not merged

at this rate it might end up in the next release which is like halfway done somehow

drat that new pipeline sounds like it's really working. looking forward to it!

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks to mbt for pointing out you can just download in progress poo poo from the TR site. Played through the Andothren Thieves Guild stuff and I am impressed again by how smoothly TR stuff slots into Morrowind and does stuff the base game never did while not feeling like a capital m Mod. Also just a big fan of the very evocative writing in general; the work to build up the setting has consistently been my favorite part of TR, making it feel lived in and stuff.

Also I finished the last Firewatch Thieves quest by chugging multiple invisibility potions and was very amused when I found out what the "intended" solution was.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

You should join the Discord and become a developer lol

I have suggested this to her multiple times while talking about Morrowind around the house lol

looking forward to the day it actually happens because I'm sure TR will take off like a spinning top after that

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

nothing mentions it at all, which is either extremely cool or a missed opportunity depending on how you look at it.

to the guy playing i would recommend firewatch or helnim as well. people go nuts for the oe tg as well but its very oblivion-ified and reeks of eurojank. people love it, you might too. the same author as the andothren tg and fg

I do like it; do you not, or are you just expressing that it's different? It definitely does stand out a lot from baseline Morrowind stuff, but I liked it from the perspective of like... y'all over in TR have been working with Morrowind as a system for a lot longer than Bethesda did, and you're not constrained by deadlines, so you can exceed the standards of the base game. At the same time though, I could understand an argument to be made that it stands out far too much, it's very Oblivion-ified as you put it, so it could create friction with someone's expectations.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

It's a very good questline as a player and an awful questline as the quest lead. The same author claimed the andothren fg and tg and tried to one-up the tg and took 2 years alone to complete them, then another year to review and fix. It's 50% bad for creating unrealistic expectations and 50% bad because it is a nightmare of scripting and dialogue on the technical side.

After restricting questing to a more vanilla style, tr released an update in only 6 months. There exists a happy medium between the skyrim mages guild and fetching mushrooms for ajira, and tr is trying to best optimize that.

Ah, I see; I was wowed by it when I first played TR, but makes sense that it's a nightmare on the production end. And that, you know, an intricate quest like that takes forever to make.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I still think the Port Telvannis stuff is fun, even if it's not as good as their current output; it's more Morrowind at about the same quality as the base game. Hell, it might be fun to see how it changes whenever they get to it. I definitely think the biggest change is probably the balance, however. TR is very well balanced now, but I think you can find some very strong stuff very easily in the older material. There's a stupidly strong Daedric spear you can find in a ruin on the main road of the Telvanni island that's not too hard if you go in prepared, for example.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I'm very interested in how TR will handle the Dres; they are the only house to not appear in any capacity in the game, after all. Tear's whole thing is those huge open air slave pits, seems like it's going to be a miserable place to write about, but lots of opportunities to engage with slavery ideologically and also how they relate to Black Marsh being right next door, especially since the plan iirc is for the TR devs to tackle the Marsh next when all of Morrowind is done.

Not a lot of works engage with slavery beyond it being an Ultimate Evil (because it is that), but it was a part of almost every society going back thousands of years and it took a bunch of different forms that people had very different feelings about. Dres do mostly chattel agricultural slavery to harvest saltrice I think, so it'll be pretty nasty.

I'm also curious of seeing more Indoril stuff, as I don't think Tribunal got into them a ton (admittedly it's been a while) and the bits of them in TR already are interesting; religion is another thing rarely engaged with with nuance in games. I don't recall, is the plan to expand the main quest stuff eventually to include becoming hortator of all five houses? I assume that'll be done near to when the whole province is done if it's done at all, though.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I exclusively play openmw and I have absolutely no idea what you guys are taking about :v: I guess maybe I never bothered to learn or use their workflow properly? I've never been into scripty mods anyway so whatever I tend to pull off the nexus or whatever I dump into my data folder, check box the esp in the launcher and it just works? :shrug:

Same here, I just put things into a folder and they work, it's as simple as it would be for the regular game. Don't remember if I had to do a bunch of finagling to get it set up that way but if it was annoying I think I'd recall it.

I also popped in the Narsis pre-release stuff to just have a stroll around the city and man, it and the surrounding area are so lovely. Didn't grab what I assume are still unmerged interiors that are pending review, so I didn't get to go inside everywhere, but it made me even more pleased about Grasping Fortune being next on the chopping block.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Genuine question that probably goes to show how little I understand this, but: I know (or at least I've heard in this thread) the OpenMW guys are being blockheads about allowing MWSE features in their platform, but is OpenMW not open source? Could someone start porting the MWSE functions now and just do it and people haven't to respect the OpenMW devs' wishes, or is it more complicated than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

mbt posted:

after tr is done and everything gets another once-over it'll be argonia. more than likely you'll see most people join the skyrim/cyrodiil projects though

will be very excited to play the first release of Eye of Argonia in 2045 or whatever, the TR team is the only one i trust to do Black Marsh any justice as a cool and very weird place; bethesda would just make Point Lookout from Fallout 3 but with lizards instead of hillbillies