Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gyshall posted:

What is the go to mod for making cliffracers gently caress off? I don't mind them being there, but dying to them after I just spent a whole ton of time fighting is not fun.

I remember one that didn't remove them completely, but it was some kind of Cliff Racer genocide mod. Basically they're in the game, but there's only a finite number of them, and if you kill them all then they're gone for good.

I think there's also one that has some cool lore backstory to it where Jiub single-handedly rids the island of cliff racers. Not sure though, I only play vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So for whatever reason I got it in my head to reinstall Morrowind, try out OpenMW, and dig into mods for the first time really... ever?

First thoughts: goddrat I wish modding-openmw.com just provided torrents to complete builds of all the mods etc. in one package, because jesus christ even with Mod Organizer 2 installing the several hundred mods required for the Total Overhaul (or even the smaller "Vanilla Extended" modlist) is a pain in the rear end.

Second thoughts: installing the I Heart Vanilla: Director's Cut modlist manually was much, much more manageable and now I'm finally playing the loving game. I'd like to check out the Tamriel Rebuilt stuff, but are there any specific hooks for getting into their content? Or should I just take the first boat that I see over to the mainland and start exploring until I find a questline?

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 15, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm in the middle of my first oblivion playthrough and basically I'm pretty tempted to just noclip through oblivion gates if I'm ever forced to do them.
Really struggling to think of a good tes sewer level.

I forget, don't the gates stop appearing after finishing the main quest?

On my original several-hundred hour Oblivion save back in college, I remember just beelining to get the mainquest done over a weekend just so I wouldn't have to deal with stupid oblivion gate poo poo anymore.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GorfZaplen posted:

For some named "i can read" you sure didn't answer my loving question!

https://github.com/TES3MP/openmw-tes3mp/wiki/Quickstart-guide

That much took about thirty seconds of Googling.

To be honest though I expected it to be a lot more complex than that, but that guide seems pretty concise. Maybe... maybe I'll give it a shot too :ohdear: Then again I also already have a decent-ish amount of experience with OpenMW after setting it up recently for a single player run, so maybe start with a simple "what is OpenMW and why should I care?" video first.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cicero posted:

Question about this, after hearing that the Skyrim multiplayer mod is unstable, I’m thinking about trying out TES3MW with my casual gamer wife and ADHD ten year old son. Does this sound like a terrible idea? I like the idea of being able to do both quests and open world loving around as a family.

I’ve never played an Elder Scrolls game, or really had much experience with CRPG’s, though I’ve played a ton of other games including some JRPG’s when I was younger. And of course I’m familiar with Elder Scrolls by reputation.

You should play an hour or so of Morrowind single-player first just to try it out yourself, since you know your wife and son better than anyone. Honestly I'd be skeptical of doing it as a family activity though.

Ten year old me would have hated Morrowind, and I'm sure an alternate-reality ADHD version of 10 year old me would have hated it even more. It's a lot of reading and immersion and political themes, very dated combat that tries to wed action with dice rolls, a convoluted skill system, and a snail's pace movement speed compared to more modern games.

ESO as a family wouldn't be an awful idea, but of course then you're exposing your 10 year old to an MMO.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

To be fair, 16 year old me had a hate/love relationship with the game too. Until I was like 20, I had some kind of weird hang-up about first person games and getting WAY too attached to my character surviving. Like, the road between Seyda Neen and Balmora was pretty terrifying to me (because wilderness and who knows what evil is lurking out there that could kill my dude). Pretty sure I hung out in Fort Pelegiad for like four in-game days before moving on to Balmora because I needed my character to feel safe or something.

I'm glad I got less weird over time. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cicero posted:

But for an occasional thing, I wouldn't want a subscription-based MMO, paying 3x subscription for occasional weekend use would be silly, and I'm not sure if there's any good f2p options for us.

Good news: base ESO is f2p (once you own the game, which regularly goes on sale for dirt cheap and which I assume will happen this weekend since apparently they're doing some big announcement for the new DLC cycle on the 27th) and has more than enough content to work through. Subscribing really only gives you access to a stipend of cash shop money, a mild XP gain boost (iirc?), and a tremendously useful crafting accessory that you can completely ignore if you and your family never want to engage with crafting at all.

Still not super sure a ten year old would like it though and honestly it might just be a more fun activity to all plop down on the couch as a family and play Skyrim "together" (with the kid actually manning the controller and the others kinda watching and collaborating on where to go/what to do/etc).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I feel like I'm going slightly crazy after loving around with getting OpenMW to work with mods on a Steam Deck. Despite other people doing this and there being a ton of guides out there, I still don't get what the issue is. Has anyone else done this?

I read some stuff about how Luxtorpeda is apparently kinda bad for OpenMW (not sure if this has been fixed but it seems to be a problem for the past year or so?), so I went the route of installing OpenMW direct from Discover in desktop mode. Easy peasy, downloaded and located my Morrowind install, fun times. OpenMW launched in vanilla, no problems.

I then proceed to try to run through the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut modlist on my PC, downloading all of the mods and putting them in exactly the same folder structure that that site/OpenMW apparently recommend. Everything is good as far as I can see, so I slap the folder containing all of this onto a USB drive and transfer it to my Deck. I then manually edit openmw.config and settings.cfg per the CFG Generator and everything looks good. Now that I'm on my Deck, the mods are transferred over, and I've updated the .cfg files, there's only two things left to do: the last two steps in the modlist I linked above (Generating a Navmesh Cache and the Delta Plugin).

So I open up the OpenMW launcher to generate a navmesh cache. I instantly see that the data files were loaded in per my editing of the config files, which is good... wait a second, it's missing some things, including Tamriel_Data.esm, despite that mod existing and the directory being added in config. Okay... weird. Getting suspicious, I check the archives tab to see if the BSAs I registered in the config file were showing up -- nope, it's just showing me the three retail BSAs and not the new ones. I double-check that they're in the config file -- yep -- but they aren't showing up in the OpenMW launcher. I go into Morrowind.ini and add them there as well just in case, but no dice.

I proceed anyway and generate the navmesh cache, only then to get an error message pretty much immediately that some height files were not found. I mark that down as something to follow up on, and proceed to the Delta Plugin step anyway, since that shouldn't have any real dependency on the navmesh cache, right?

The Steam Deck being a Linux device, I open a console and enter this argument per the modding-openmw site's instructions:
code:
~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta_plugin merge ~/games/OpenMWMods/Tools/DeltaPlugin/delta-merged.omwaddon
The console immediately pops back a response that delta_plugin is a directory. That's it, that's the tweet, there is no further information. Thing is, delta_plugin isn't a directory, it's an executable... so I have no idea what the issue is here and no idea how to proceed.

I don't really know what to do at this point besides nuke the mods folder and restore the original OpenMW settings files and just play unmodded, which is something I don't want to do, so... yeah. Any Deckhavers have any ideas?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mbt posted:

1. you should ask the openmw discord
2. i made the install on my main computer and then transferred it over. i'm not suggesting you do the same, but that ended up working for me.

Cheers, I'll give the OpenMW discord route a shot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm holding out for the next OpenMW stable release before I get back into it I think. I heard somewhere that it's going to have better controller support than currently has (though it might be just fine right now, idk, I haven't tried it much) and I want to get a I Heart Vanilla Expanded setup running on my Steam Deck.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OpenMW is available as a flatpack on the discover store and works well when I tested it out last on a vanilla install, at least as far as getting into Seyda Neen. I've yet to have any success in applying mods to it in a way that works though and I haven't had the patience to figure out why yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gyshall posted:

Do post a trip report of the mods you select on top. I'm planning to do the same thing soon on my Deck

I would *love* a trip report on getting that set up on the Deck. I attempted it several times using the flatpack version of OpenMW from the Discovery store (not using Lutris because people apparently said that's kind of a bad way of doing it) and while OpenMW itself worked fine, for whatever reason only like a quarter of the modlist would actually load.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 1, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

I realize this is a stupid problem.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Like you can just patch your game in place when the new release drops and keep playing your save :shrug:

Oh I had no idea this was the case. Well then, I guess there's no time better than the present.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Doc Hawkins posted:

ha! fine words from one born from the wrong end of a guar.

If people are gonna go aggro, at least use lore-friendly insults, you bunch of n'wahs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

I disagree, I think tr content level-wise is proportioned along the same ratio as the base game. But at this point there's probably more content in TR than in vanilla and of higher quality to boot. Generally the higher level areas are further away from the island, it even has its own seyda neen counterpart directly across the channel.

If anyone hasn't seen this map, it gives you an idea of how much there is to do:

The old Telvanni stuff here is probably not worth doing, right? I know they've mentioned a bunch that it's going to get a big revamp at some point.

Anyway I just opted for a fresh OpenMW installation using the I Heart Vanilla: Directors Cut, and it looks like they added a little mod to it that gives you a breadcrumb quest from Seyda Neen (via Addamasartus) to the mainland, so I'll give that a go.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pretty sure TR just requires TR_Data and TR_Mainland and that's it.

That said I very much recommend https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla-directors-cut/ as a manageable little modlist with a lot of oomf in terms of QoL and added content, but it sorta requires you to already be OpenMWpilled and willing to follow instructions to the letter. Overall took me a little over an hour to set up (not including one or two sloooow downloads from Nexus).

Put a few hours into TR now, questing my way around Old Ebonheart and doing Thieves Guild stuff. Can already definitely see a huge difference in quality of the quest writing vs. the OG game. Pumped to play more.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 22, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rocket_man38 posted:

Dumb question, but how do you get there just starting out? I want to do a mix of OG Morrowind and TR. I’m not very experienced in Morrowind.

Simplest is to take a boat to Old Ebonheart from either Vivec or from Fort Ebonheart (confusing, I know... Fort is the castle from vanilla, Old is the big new city on the mainland).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

At the early point of level 3-4ish where I'm coming to the conclusion that the custom class I put together sucks. Whatever, there's enough ways to cheese it in this game to make build irrelevant anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jay Rust posted:

Yep. The correct amount is “enough for flavour”.
the “n’wahs” and the “fetchers” and the “keep moving scum” are all anyone needs.

"Outlander, WHAT do you WANT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

OpenMW Modding is great if you don't want to make decisions on which specific mods you want and just want to pick from a set menu, and that seems to be their target audience. Once you step outside of that mould you're kinda on your own, which I mean... I sorta get?