Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Red Baron posted:

I... Don't have MGE XE installed yet. Could it just be bad shaders in MGE?

e: Nope, disabled all shaders and have the same problem.

That's strange. The problem I was having was the SSAO shader being applied through menus and the interface, not some random room in the middle of the ocean - though the effect does look very similar. My issue was caused by the SSAO shader in MGE being incompatible with a Morrowind Code Patch feature called 'UI Display Quality Fix'. I disabled the MGE SSAO and used the MGE-XE one instead and problem solved. Yours... I have no idea :( We sound like broken records but did you install the game in Program Files?

Musical_Devil posted:

Also, DO NOT install Morrowind into your "Program Files" folder (x86 works fine for me). Otherwise, things won't work and crash constantly and we won't be able to solve your problems and we will make fun of you.

Good OP, Musical_Devil. You might want to put a link to this in the bit where you say to not install the game to Program Files.

"Also, DO NOT install Morrowind into your "Program Files" folder (x86 works fine for me). Otherwise, things won't work and crash constantly and we won't be able to solve your problems and we will make fun of you. With the Steam version follow these instructions to move your Steam installation out of program files."

Filthy Monkey posted:

The MGE depth of field shader included in the graphic overhaul is pretty good, I notice. It is called "Playable Depth Of Field", and does help improve the look of distant scenery without loving with things two inches in front of your face. Do MGE shaders work in MGE-XE? If so, it might be nice. I just can't take that default XE depth of field shader.

Really? I find that the MGE Playable DOF shader makes things change too quickly and too noticeably. If my crosshair happens to catch a fencepost it's suddenly like my guy needs glasses for a second. I don't really notice the MGE-XE DOF unless I'm actively looking for it.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Cytokinesis posted:

I'm trying to get morrowind working, and I'm up to the step where I change the file date for the .bsa files. I've downloaded the file date changer, but when I attempt to change the dates it tells me it can't change the file and to check that I have permission to write to the file.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Are you running it as an administrator?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Red Baron posted:

Is it possible to just move my Morrowind install or will I need to relocate my entire Steam installation?

I'm not positive. Since you'll most likely be using the modified 4GB exe and Morrowind Enhanced you won't be running it through Steam (and the in-game community features need to be disabled anyway) so you might be okay just moving your Morrowind folder. The only problem is that Steam might get confused and download another copy. Give it a shot :) Maybe back it up first though.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

ParagonParadox27 posted:

This should really be added to the OP: DO NOT EVER USE MORROWIND ENHANCED FOR ANY REASON. It's buggy and demonstrably increases crashing and savegame corruption. The only mod for it that is even remotely decent is NPC Enhanced and that's got a MWSE conversion mod available for it. So, seriously, don't use it. It's been analyzed to hell and back by the community and was long ago deemed worthless and detrimental to your game's stability.

:ohdear: Do you know if it would be okay to stop using Blocking Enhanced mid-game or will I have to start over?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Balmora is 10 on everybody's system :mad:

I get 15 in Seyda Neen but 20+ in Balmora vOv

Currently following your tips and recreating distant land to see if I can improve on that.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Naky posted:

Oh, and while all Gamebryo games are very much affected by file fragmentation, Morrowind is especially bad with it. Defrag your drives that have your morrowind files - all the copying and pasting for mods will affect it and even a 5% overall file fragmentation can seriously affect your FPS. Don't ask how, it just does.

Thanks for mentioning this Naky. I haven't defragged in much longer than I should have and am at 22% fragmentation :X We'll see if my FPS jumps up.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Flaky posted:

I have a weird problem with the Morrowind Grass mod. I can't walk through grass anymore, it seems to act like an invisible wall. This follows me changing a bunch of stuff in MGE so it is probably something to do with that. Any ideas?

With grass mods you're supposed to let MGE create distant statics from the ESPs but not enable them in the launcher or else you get this problem. Did you only change some MGE settings or did you change stuff about in the launcher or Wrye Mash too?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

House Rabbit posted:

I've just gotten a strange issue with my game since installing the overhaul.

Going to shops and buying items that are stacked, do not give me the option to split it up. For instance, wanting to buy a spear and the shopkeeper has two, results in my buying both of them. No slider scale.

This is a weird-rear end problem, and I haven't been able to find any results on this. Or am I just doing something stupidly wrong here? It's been years since I last played Morrowind and I'm pretty much starting fresh now. I really hope someone can give me any sort of clue as to what to do in this situation. It's really frustrating when you need to buy just one scroll-of-something and instead have to buy 20. :(

One of the mods or overhauls changes this. Hold shift and left click to split a stack :)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Positronic Spleen posted:

I like to use mods to fix a lot of what you mentioned - it makes the game much more enjoyable for me. Here are three that. Specifically Allspeeds to fix the awful slow movement rate, Tireless Running so that you dont have to stop and wait when you come across an enemy so you can fight it with full fatigue, and a magicka regeneration mod so that a pure mage type character is more viable.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Naky posted:

You're in for a treat. Morrowind is an amazing game and with graphical improvements it's even better. The only reason to get Oblivion is to install Nehrim, which you can clearly tell Bethesda took some inspiration from for Skyrim as they do share a lot of similarities. In fact, it's almost eerie.

Seriously, I'm getting incredibly heavy Nehrim vibes from Skyrim. Magic being rare/mistrusted, a mage's college, frosty spiders, the dungeons with the unique treasures that weren't in Oblivion, the terrain is pretty similar, I'm sure there's somewhere like High Hrothgar in Nehrim but I don't remember it perfectly and there's a city in Nehrim that is reminiscent of Solitude and Whiterun.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm basically a functional computer retard, and I've installed my GOTY CD of the game, and done all of the steps in the OP up to the "adding shaders" part. I figured I'd do Ogg's megapack, as it seems the most hassle-free, but when I click the torrent, download it, and then click on it, it says that it doesn't know where to open the files. I don't want to do anything stupid (beyond not knowing how to do this already), so could someone kindly and in dummy's terms give me an idea of how to get started at this point?

I'm running Vista on my crap laptop and just want to try the game in a new way, if that helps any.

You need a bittorrent clien in order to download .torrent files. uTorrent is a good simple one that's small too.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Musical_Daredevil posted:

There's two main ways to deal with that (and many minor ones). Take your pick.

My personal preference is the AllSpeeds mod.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

I installed it on top of a heavily modded Morrowind, complete with the Code Patch and a prior version of MGE XE, and it worked fine.

I THEN nuked Morrowind's folder, reinstalled cleanly, and installed the overhaul on top of a clean Morrowind (as it had asked), because Morrowind was horrendously unstable.

Still isn't working properly. I'm not sure if it's because of MGEXE (I had only previously been using MGE) or something else, but it's not standard Morrowind unstable, it's 'crash every 5 minutes' unstable.

Anyone have any thoughts? If this keeps up I may disable MGEXE as an experiment, and if that settles it, revert to MGE.

MGEXE has been much more stable than MGE in my experience, not sure what could be causing your crashing :( You could try disabling say 5 of MGEXE's features and see if that improves the problem, and then re-enable them one by one.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

For any more questions like that, there's a thread on the official Morrowind forums (or at least there used to be) called 'Mod Detectives' or something like that where it's nothing but people asking those kinds of questions and others finding them.

Edit: just for reference or if nobody here can help in the future, not trying to imply those types of questions don't belong in this thread or anything.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 30, 2012

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Gyshall posted:

If you do this, you should create a custom Mlox rules file. Otherwise, tools like mlox won't be able to auto sort the mod pack if need be.

But then wouldn't there be additional issues with any mods added on top of the pack? If it's going to create mlox problems with other mods I don't know if renaming the mod filenames so that they're more aesthetically pleasing and in a couple of cases more helpful is a good idea.

Rooreelooo posted:

The website for MGSO looks like it's down now and has been for a few days, is the latest version of mgso hosted anywhere else to download? I know there was a torrent for it kicking around as well as a direct download.

Found a mirror for you :) http://www.wolflore.net/uploads/mgso/MGSO_3.0_Final.rar

Tufty fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 9, 2012

Tufty
May 21, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I've always used this robe replacer, which I don't hear many people talk about but it's really good and works well. I was surprised to not see it in MGSO.

I used to have that too but I've lost the file and I can't be arsed signing up for their stupid forum again. Would you mind uploading the archive for the one you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

What exactly is stopping someone from throwing up a page with a torrent for a nicely polished/tweaked mod compilation? I was under the impression that game mods were considered derivative works, so I don't really understand how the modding community still manages to get collections that were compiled without the mods' authors' permission taken down.

Lots of bitching and whining, and mod site administrators who kowtow to the people who complain about it because modders tend to be gigantic manchildren who will remove their stuff from a particular website/everywhere at the drop of a hat. Torrents sidestep the issue, which is why they do exist (Oggum's is the only one that comes to mind but you can google 'Morrowind mod compilation/pack torrent' and get a lot of results).