Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate tech so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

jokes posted:

I hate tech so much

It’s still kind of okay if you stick to Gemini or Mastodon or other poo poo that no one uses, but there does seem to be a relentless march toward disappointment.

I hate this move.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AI, Pocket, and layoffs, my favorite things!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jokes posted:

I hate tech so much

Nitrousoxide posted:

AI, Pocket, and layoffs, my favorite things!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tbh, don't mind Pocket, but i'm a rare kobo owner.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I don't mind Pocket either, as long as there keeps being an about:config setting where I can completely turn it off and forget it even exists.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That sounds vaguely OK, yeah. Shrinking the organisation a bit, dropping some of the distractions, and merging the rest into an "added stuff" team could be a good idea. I will wait and see what they do with "AI" before having any strong opinions on it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I've been enjoying the translation tool that was recently added, if the ai's anything like that it could be okay

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Computer viking posted:

That sounds vaguely OK, yeah. Shrinking the organisation a bit, dropping some of the distractions, and merging the rest into an "added stuff" team could be a good idea. I will wait and see what they do with "AI" before having any strong opinions on it.

Keeping going with useful non-browser development bullshit at all is the problem.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

wooger posted:

Keeping going with useful non-browser development bullshit at all is the problem.

Yes and no - their most obvious competitors do more than render HTML in tabs. The translation tool is a great example: Chrome integrating Google translate is a useful feature that some people would miss if they swapped browsers. Firefox adding something similar that is also on-device is both a useful answer to that and a unique selling point that fits with their brand.

In this specific case it was also developed with EU funding and in collaboration with some universities, though of course that's an exception.

Is Keep a browser feature in the same way as translation? I don't know; maybe?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I didn't realize Firefox's translation was all done clientside, that's very cool.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I want a way to change one of Firefox's behaviors:

When my tab bar is "overfilled", which it nearly always is, by that I just mean that it contains more than a few tabs, so that I have to scroll horizontally on it to view some that are pushed off-screen.

I want it to favor the right side of the bar instead of the left. It favors the left by shoving the rightmost tab off-screen when I have a not-rightmost tab selected and open a link/new tab. It shoves tabs off-screen on the right instead of on the left. How do I change that?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This poo poo is why I used multirow tabs and bookmarks. It bugs me an unreasonably huge amount to have my tabs not visible and readable.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
MY GIRLFRIEND signed into her university account on my firefox, and now whenever I try to sign into google, it automatically redirects to the university's mail sign in. I've tried removing any cookies or site data related to the uni, but it hasn't worked. Whenever I need to sign into my personal google account, I've just used a different privacy tab, but looking for a more permanent solution.

Also, unrelatedly, anyone notice that videodownloadhelper has gotten shittier? Now it downloads clips with a random string of numbers as the name instead of the video title, and it seems to support even fewer websites.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Head Bee Guy posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND signed into her university account on my firefox, and now whenever I try to sign into google, it automatically redirects to the university's mail sign in. I've tried removing any cookies or site data related to the uni, but it hasn't worked. Whenever I need to sign into my personal google account, I've just used a different privacy tab, but looking for a more permanent solution.

Clear all gmail / google cookies too?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, unrelatedly, anyone notice that videodownloadhelper has gotten shittier? Now it downloads clips with a random string of numbers as the name instead of the video title, and it seems to support even fewer websites.

yt-dlp is the only good video downloader

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use jdownloader 2 and it has a much higher success rate.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Back before XUL got deprecated, I had an addon that saved a copy of bookmarks as a single file on the disk - which was rather nice, as even then link-rot was a phenomenon.

I'd completely forgotten about this, until a few minutes ago when I randomly remembered, and found this - which, if configured properly, does the same.
Better yet, this can save to a WebDAV server, which I don't think the old extension could do.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'lil help if I could ask:

Firefox is reporting my time zone as UTC as of a few weeks ago. Looking into it, disabling extensions and privacy settings doesn't fix it, and privacy.resistFingerprinting.testing.setTZtoUTC is set to false (nor does toggling it help). Any ideas what else it could be?

^^^ also that's a neat extension, thanks!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

'lil help if I could ask:

Firefox is reporting my time zone as UTC as of a few weeks ago. Looking into it, disabling extensions and privacy settings doesn't fix it, and privacy.resistFingerprinting.testing.setTZtoUTC is set to false (nor does toggling it help). Any ideas what else it could be?

^^^ also that's a neat extension, thanks!

From what I'm reading, that pref doesn't actually stop the timezone from being set to UTC. Apparently Firefox used to set the TZ environment variable and they are using a different way to do it now.

Maybe try this?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1426184

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I've narrowed it down to the in-browser tracking protection, but can't find which setting exactly will exclude time zones. Tried that link to no avail, cheers tho.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
privacy.resistFingerprinting = false
privacy.fingerprintingProtection = true
privacy.fingerprintingProtection.overrides = +AllTargets,-JSDateTimeUTC

I checked the source code and I believe that it should work. Are you restarting your browser after setting it?

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 29, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well no, never thought I'd need to do that, was just refreshing a page and seeing what it said my browser was sending it. Again, disabled all extensions and restarted FF-esr, still reporting UTC instead of local time, the only thing that changes that is toggling the tracking protection.

I might have some old config settings kicking around like old cruft that's disrupting things, but I'd rather not start making clean profiles every time an issue crops up. Kinda like this suggested change here, they're all in there for a reason.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ctrl+Shift+T used to only reopen closed tabs from the current window.
But nowadays it also reopens closed windows and/or tabs in other windows, prioritizing those if they were closed more recently than the tabs in the current window.

Is there any way to get the old behavior back?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

Ctrl+Shift+T used to only reopen closed tabs from the current window.
But nowadays it also reopens closed windows and/or tabs in other windows, prioritizing those if they were closed more recently than the tabs in the current window.

Is there any way to get the old behavior back?

Apparently no, they changed firefox's tab restore to work exactly like chrome because too many chrome people were complaining.

(Mostly they were complaining that firefox couldn't restore closed tabs from a previous session. That also was added. There are about :config prefs to not store closed tabs & windows across sessions, but not one to do classic undo close tab like you want.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Apparently no, they changed firefox's tab restore to work exactly like chrome because too many chrome people were complaining.

(Mostly they were complaining that firefox couldn't restore closed tabs from a previous session. That also was added. There are about :config prefs to not store closed tabs & windows across sessions, but not one to do classic undo close tab like you want.)

Well, poo poo. Thanks anyway!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Geemer posted:

Well, poo poo. Thanks anyway!

Not the solution you want, but I use the Undo Closed Tab button extension. Left click opens up the last closed tab, right click opens a menu for sequentially older closed ones. There's some customisation in it but not much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's better than the garbage behavior it is now, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just a note to anyone running Firefox on OpenSUSE - OpenSUSE rolled out an update that broke proper add-on signing, so no extensions are currently working in Firefox on OpenSUSE. There's an open bug report on it, and hopefully they'll fix it ASAP.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1221531

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
EDIT: This has been fixed. Update your system to get the fixed packages. If you were affected, remember to delete the app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification setting in about :config and restart Firefox to have your plugins re-verify.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Just a note to anyone running Firefox on OpenSUSE - OpenSUSE rolled out an update that broke proper add-on signing, so no extensions are currently working in Firefox on OpenSUSE. There's an open bug report on it, and hopefully they'll fix it ASAP.

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1221531

It is worth noting that IF you run into this problem, you can work around it like so:

Write down your current cryptographic policies. You will want to revert back to this once the bug is fixed. Run this command to see your current policy:
code:
sudo update-crypto-policies --show
Re-enable SHA1 crypto support in openSUSE. This alters your cryptographic policies and switches to an old policy with SHA1 still active. You will do this command again when the bug is fixed but instead of LEGACY you should use whatever you see from the above command:
code:
sudo update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY
Delete the following about :config setting:
code:
app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification
Restart Firefox and wait for the addons to re-verify.

I am pretty sure this is correct, but please let me know if I got anything wrong here.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nalin posted:

EDIT: This has been fixed. Update your system to get the fixed packages. If you were affected, remember to delete the app.update.lastUpdateTime.xpi-signature-verification setting in about :config and restart Firefox to have your plugins re-verify.

I was going to update it was fixed, although I'm not awake and just reinstalled my plugins without uninstalling the old ones, and everything is working and settings have been retained. :peanut: