Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

is there an about:config entry to keep websites from changing the browser's scrollbars? YouTube now has these thin little scrollbars, and I hate 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
That thin little scrollbar is the default. Do you... not have them on other sites?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

is there an about :config entry to keep websites from changing the browser's scrollbars? YouTube now has these thin little scrollbars, and I hate 'em.

layout.css.scrollbar-width.enabled

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Peggotty posted:

layout.css.scrollbar-width.enabled

Thank you!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you have Stylish, I recommend https://userstyles.org/styles/177056/dark-scrollbars-quantum-nox

If I'm on mobile, sure hide that scrollbar. But when I'm on PC, I like seeing it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Sometimes when I copy things elsewhere then try to paste into Firefox, it pastes the previous thing from my clipboard instead. One, how the hell does that even happen, but two, can that get fixed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sometimes when I copy things elsewhere then try to paste into Firefox, it pastes the previous thing from my clipboard instead. One, how the hell does that even happen, but two, can that get fixed?

Only thing I can imagine would be a website that is using javascript to do some type of extra clipboard stuff. This could make a situation where copy paste works fine inside the site, but when copying from outside firefox it not updating the script clipboard.

Alternatively, do you have windows clipboard history and sync turned on?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It could extremely easily happen if you just gently caress up hitting copy the second time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've had that issue sometimes on macos. I've just taken to slapping the copy keyboard shortcut a few times.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flipperwaldt posted:

It could extremely easily happen if you just gently caress up hitting copy the second time.
Guaranteed it's not this - after the first two times I saw it happen I waited for a third and then immediately opened notepad and pasted the correct thing successfully in there, so I can confirm that it's actually incorrectly reporting the clipboard contents... but yeah, my first thought was operator error on the keyboard end, heh.

I'll take a poke at the Windows history settings once I'm back at my desk and see if it's on (I did not turn it on consciously but we all know how settings are) and see what I can see.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I have it happen now and then on Linux, I always put it down to Linux having multiple clipboards.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've had a different problem where the mouse menu in firefox will have the copy/paste options greyed out, but the keyboard shortcut will still work. It doesn't happen often and clears itself up after a moment. Can't seem to find a cause for it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What happened to the Enhancer for Youtube addon? The one that let you boost volume and change color scheme etc. Seemed to work only sporadically lately, and I can't find it on mozilla's addon site anymore.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

PirateBob posted:

What happened to the Enhancer for Youtube addon? The one that let you boost volume and change color scheme etc. Seemed to work only sporadically lately, and I can't find it on mozilla's addon site anymore.

Hopefully it'll be back pretty soon

https://www.mrfdev.com/enhancer-for-youtube

quote:

Distribution of Enhancer for YouTube™ temporarily stopped!
Due to the massive changes that the YouTube developers have made, Enhancer for YouTube™ is now completely broken for Firefox (partially works for Chromium based browsers). A huge amount of work is necessary to fix all the issues so I had to pause its distribution for Firefox. Don't expect a new version to be released in the upcoming days. Please do not contact me for an estimated date of release, I don't have one.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

:negative: Okay. :thanks:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah, the Stylus addon I use for much the same thing (AdashimaaTube) is also borked and has been for a while. I just live without any descriptions on videos now. It's not so bad.

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Enhancer seems to work normally for me if I expand the video, select another video, and then go back to the original.
Might try that with other youtube addons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can get it to work if I expand the video to cinema mode, resize it again down to the default view and then use the 'expand' command from Enhancer for Youtube.

Hadn't even thought to ask if something was going on with the extension.

:tif:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there a way to change the password generation rules on Firefox? The new passwords it generates are supremely awful.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

Is there a way to change the password generation rules on Firefox? The new passwords it generates are supremely awful.

No. Firefox is a bad password manager. They made a big hoopla a few years back about improving it and making Firefox Lockwise, and all they did was make a nicer UI. Lockwise lasted 2 years before they canned it.

Use a real password manager -- bitwarden is my recommendation for anyone who wants a free option. LastPass 1password if you are ok with yet another subscription.

edit: poo poo got that mixed up, astral is correct

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 9, 2024

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Never lastpass.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Since Authy is sadly ending its desktop applications, is this a decent/secure alternative? It's not a huge deal not to have the Authy desktop app, just an inconvenience.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Anyone got any idea why Firefox has started using its inbuilt notifications rather than system notifications? I've checked
pre:
alerts.useSystemBackend
is set to true. Every other programme uses system notifications properly but ff gives me a lovely half screen notification with my tiling wm and that's not fun.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Since Authy is sadly ending its desktop applications, is this a decent/secure alternative? It's not a huge deal not to have the Authy desktop app, just an inconvenience.

You could just set up a KeePass database to store TOTP keys if you need something on the desktop.
EDIT: I mean, it kinda defeats the point of TOTP, but it is at least a decently secure option.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nalin posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/11/01/is-your-extension-ready-for-firefox-for-android/

They are rolling out additional addons in preparation for fully opening up the ecosystem in December.

Only a month or two left before the floodgates open and you get to nuke your phone battery with crappy scam adblockers.

Firefox updated for me last night, and this is now live.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Nalin posted:

You could just set up a KeePass database to store TOTP keys if you need something on the desktop.
EDIT: I mean, it kinda defeats the point of TOTP, but it is at least a decently secure option.

I might just go with the Android version on Windows 11, seems the easiest option for me but thanks for the viewpoint.

630 Firefox extensions now available on Firefox for Android.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what's the best firefox (for PC) adblocker to play youtube and crap without ads?

i'm sick of google and chrome

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pmchem posted:

what's the best firefox (for PC) adblocker to play youtube and crap without ads?

The same ones I think, ublock origin and sponsor block

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

I've been messing around with https://invidious.io/ Invidious is an open source alternative front-end to YouTube.

You can Either Use Invidious https://docs.invidious.io/instances/

or if you have a spare older PC or Laptop etc you can setup your own installation and run your own Instance. https://docs.invidious.io/installation/

I have been using it with Ublock disabled and have not had to deal with any of the YT carp etc.

Recently setup an Debian installation and it was a breeze to install/setup an instance on my laptop & configure.

There is also a FF Extension/Addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-redirect/

( Note* The FireFox Addon you will need to configure various settings in the addon menu for the different Re-Direct's etc. You can also enable/disable Redirects to your liking.)

quote:

Redirects Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, & Google Maps requests to privacy friendly alternatives - Nitter, Invidious, Bibliogram, & OpenStreetMap.

Allows for setting custom instances, toggling all redirects on/off and more.

NVB fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 15, 2024

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Is the Firefox VPN worth a drat? Bought NordVPN back when Lowtax was hawking it and my subscription is about to run out.

If not, any VPNs people would recommend?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pershing posted:

Is the Firefox VPN worth a drat? Bought NordVPN back when Lowtax was hawking it and my subscription is about to run out.

If not, any VPNs people would recommend?

It's a partnership where all the actual VPN servers are through Mullvad, which is one of the Good Ones.

OTOH the Mozilla VPN service only works with their own client software package, and doesn't provide a standard wireguard connection that supports arbitrary clients. This only matters if you are king nerd, but that's a major limitation if you wanted to do something like have the VPN connection on your router to put your whole network behind it.

So, I dunno, it's kinda meh I guess? Moz is charging $5/mo if you go annual, which is cheaper than actual Mullvad. And Mullvad is extremely solid if you are hardcore :tinfoil: about online privacy and security. But they also are smaller than Nord or other services, with fewer servers. They don't churn IPs as fast as someone like Nord, which means they get blocked more by Netflix etc.

So if all you care about in a VPN is downloading :filez: and dodging region-locks on streaming services, I think you can get better deals.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

So if all you care about in a VPN is downloading :filez: and dodging region-locks on streaming services, I think you can get better deals.

Any serious :filez: site blocks VPNs though.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PirateBob posted:

Any serious :filez: site blocks VPNs though.

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this. Why would they care? If a site is blocked by my ISP then I have no choice but to use a VPN to access.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I was thinking more about torrent and peer2peer stuff.

If you're talking about usenet or some private direct access or streaming site, I don't know why they'd block VPNs. But you also wouldn't need the VPN in the first place? If you're not doing P2P then the MPAA can't see what you're downloading.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's a partnership where all the actual VPN servers are through Mullvad, which is one of the Good Ones.
I'm not into paying for a specific VPN service, because I can set up IPsec on a FreeBSD VPN in as much time as it takes to go through a payment process

However, I'll give credit where it's due:
Mullvad has done things right, and will even take completely anonymous paper money sent through the mail, if you care about privacy that much.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mullvad's support is fantastic and they actually know what they're talking about.

I once emailed them with (paraphrasing here) "the latest release of your client software broke the wonky-rear end way I'm forwarding an entire WLAN through my desktop's VPN tunnel, here's my setup, any ideas?" What I was doing there is rather outside the typical use case, so I wasn't expecting much beyond the standard useless customer-service troubleshooting script. But they quickly responded with (paraphrasing again) "Oh, I see what you're doing there. Yeah, this release made a change to how the client handles DNS, so that setup won't work anymore. But you just need to change [a setting] in the client and then set your DHCP server to give out [a new address] for the DNS, and you'll be right back in business." And I was.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does an extension like this exist?

A way to override DNS for specific names. Say I'm migrating a website to a new server, and I want to verify its function on the new server, but actually reconfiguring DNS would be a service interruption, modifying the site and all dependents to use a different name would be a gigantic task, and editing the computer 'hosts' file requires local administrator which I do not have. In that case, I'd like a way to tell the browser that "actually, foo.contoso.com has IP address 2.3.4.5, regardless of what anyone else might say".
Or does that open too many paths for abuse?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

nielsm posted:

A way to override DNS for specific names. Say I'm migrating a website to a new server, and I want to verify its function on the new server, but actually reconfiguring DNS would be a service interruption, modifying the site and all dependents to use a different name would be a gigantic task, and editing the computer 'hosts' file requires local administrator which I do not have. In that case, I'd like a way to tell the browser that "actually, foo.contoso.com has IP address 2.3.4.5, regardless of what anyone else might say".

A NextDNS account can actually do this, in addition to serving as a de facto ad blocker. They have a free tier that gives 300k queries for month, and there is also a subscription plan for more.

Disclosure: if you click that link and buy a subscription, I get a portion of it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nielsm posted:

If you're using docker or podman you could probably modify /etc/hosts in a container and then wget/curl/whatever the site in question (from inside the container) to see if it looks okay. Pretty sure you'd have to modify the hosts file after it's spun up though, since normally docker/podman will grab the host system's /etc/hosts file to use inside the container, but after that they can diverge.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

nielsm posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but you can configure a local caching DNS server that overrides specific hostnames, e.g. with Bind RPZ. Switching back and forth will still be annoying, though. The easiest may be to configure the DNS server for DNS over HTTPS, since Firefox allows you to manually set a DoH server for DNS - and then install another copy of Firefox (e.g. Beta) and set that one to use the DNS server that messes with the responses.