Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

cre3d posted:

Been using nightly for a couple weeks now and I must admit, memory usage is less than half of what my Firefox 6 install was using. Even on pages with lots of embedded content, it's just a nice even linear progression of memory usage as tab count goes up. I dare say they plugged some leaks :)

Yeah they've made some good progress. Two things they really need to sort out yesterday - Electrolysis, and do something about that "Firefox is still running" bullshit that most average folk probably think requires a computer restart. Whether they give you a kill or restart Firefox option, or just kill it silently and load up the last session, it's a pain in the rear end that should be addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Neu posted:

don't they basically list this everytime, but yet firefox still uses a huge amount of memory?

I love firefox but it seems they put that into every release but it never gets THAT much better.

A lot of what they were doing before was tweaking cache settings, or claiming that things were fixed but they weren't under conditions that users actually use the program under. They at least seem to be more serious about it this time. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/MemShrink

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This time around they actually built the tools necessary to blame specific components for memory allocations and are working to fix them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Chiming in to say the 7 beta has been much better so far. No hanging and less memory usage.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Maybe by Firefox 9 they'll have fixed what happens if you View Source giant (40MB) SVGs

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Maybe by Firefox 9 they'll have fixed what happens if you View Source giant (40MB) SVGs

Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

xamphear posted:

Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
It probably shouldn't take an infinite amount of RAM (and crash FF) to display 40MB of text

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It isn't 40 MB of text. It's 40 MB of text marked up to look pretty.

If you could view the page source of the View Source window, you'd see all kinds of bold/italic/color styling and hyperlinks and whatnot.

Obviously there isn't actually source because all the formatting is generated at runtime from the input DOM tree, but the output DOM tree for a 40 MB input is going to be gigantic.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

It probably shouldn't take an infinite amount of RAM (and crash FF) to display 40MB of text

SVGs aren't text files. They're an image that's described via an XML based format.

pseudorandom name posted:

It isn't 40 MB of text. It's 40 MB of text marked up to look pretty.

If you could view the page source of the View Source window, you'd see all kinds of bold/italic/color styling and hyperlinks and whatnot.

Obviously there isn't actually source because all the formatting is generated at runtime from the input DOM tree, but the output DOM tree for a 40 MB input is going to be gigantic.

The view source option just displays the SVG source for me. And what would an SVG image have to do with the DOM?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 4, 2011

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nope, still only on the nightly channels. Any time I've played with those builds they've been fairly stable, though that's without any extensions etc. installed.
Got a bunch installed, including Adblock. And Flash 64bit. The browser hasn't crashed once yet.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

A little off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of going back to 64bit again. Can 64bit flash play fullscreen video yet?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lum posted:

A little off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of going back to 64bit again. Can 64bit flash play fullscreen video yet?

Yeah, it can.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

The view source option just displays the SVG source for me. And what would an SVG image have to do with the DOM?

SVG images have a DOM, they're scriptable XML documents.

And this thing here has a DOM, too:

You have to make the text pink, purple, blue, black, bold and italic somehow.

So the DOM for a SVG image is going to be even larger than the input text, and the DOM for the generated document displayed in the View Source window is going to be even larger. By my count, that single <svg> tag at the top there has been turned into at least 20 DOM nodes, with who knows how many attributes.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 4, 2011

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Fapos posted:

About the fonts, I had a little look around since they had changed again going from beta to aurora with hardware accelleration on and found gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in about :config has a few options you can try:

-1 - Firefox default
0 - Default
1 - Aliased
2 - GDI Classic
3 - GDI Natural
4 - Natural
5 - Natural Symmetric

Mine was set to -1 but some characters look really weird, like "7" is really wide. I found 0 to be the best looking.

Adding to this slightly this is what each number means.

Default: automatically, based on the font and size
Aliased: no anti-aliasing
GDI Classic: glyphs can only be positioned on whole-pixel boundaries
GDI Natural: same as GDI Classic, but metrics are closer to ideal
Natural: anti-aliasing in the horizontal dimension only
Natural Symmetric: anti-aliasing in both horizontal and vertical dimensions
Outline: bypass the rasterizer and use the outlines directly

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mine is set to 71, which it says is the default.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Added font rendering stuff to the OP.

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
For some reason, firefox 6 no longer displays the address of links i mouse-over in the status bar (or anywhere at all for that matter), is there an about:config setting or something i can change to get it back?

The 2 extensions i use which may be related are organize statusbar and status 4 evar, but it all worked fine with ff 5

edit: fixed it, was an option in status 4 evar

argus tuft fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 5, 2011

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, it can.

Indeed it can, so now running 64bit Pale Moon 6.

Don't know why I bothered, it doesn't seem any faster than 32bit. I guess it can use more than 2GB of memory now? :ohdear:

Standish
May 21, 2001

Lum posted:

Don't know why I bothered, it doesn't seem any faster than 32bit. I guess it can use more than 2GB of memory now? :ohdear:
Plus it's more secure due to a larger address space for use by ASLR.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm using Waterfox 7 RC 2 and it performs faster than Pale Moon 6 did. Waterfox builds are 64 bit only of course.

http://waterfoxproj.sourceforge.net/

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Guys, this is serious. Middle clicking doesn't open new tabs anymore. It worked just fine yesterday, and it still opens and closes tabs on the tab bar, but it does nothing when I middle click on links. All middle click-related options in about:config seem to be unchanged. It works in IE9, and I can open links in the Favorites menu in new tabs. I don't think I can go on in a world without middle click.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Greasemonkey updated and it broke Tab Mix Plus. Just have to wait for the TMP people to fix it.

Edit: Forgot. Just disable one of them and middle clicking will work again.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 6, 2011

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Uninstall Greasemonkey. Install Scriptish instead.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Guyver posted:

Greasemonkey updated and it broke Tab Mix Plus. Just have to wait for the TMP people to fix it.

Edit: Forgot. Just disable one of them and middle clicking will work again.

xamphear posted:

Uninstall Greasemonkey.
Greasemonkey gone, crisis averted. Thanks.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

xamphear posted:

Uninstall Greasemonkey. Install Scriptish instead.

Is there an easy way to transfer all my Greasemonkey scripts to Scriptish? I have a bunch.

Edit: gently caress. Seems there isn't. Damnit, there should be.

Edit: Oh good, Greasefire still works with Scriptish.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 6, 2011

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's TabMixPlus and Greasemonkey butting heads; there's a quick-fix here if you want to keep both running.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 7, 2011

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
It was happening to me with TMP and I've never used Greasemonkey, but this mod fixed it anyway until there's an official update:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/greasemonkey/files/tabmixplus-0.3.8.6.greasemonkey%231406-fx.xpi/download?use_mirror=cdnetworks-us-2

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Anyone know what all this is about?

It happens a few times a day (only with menus) and clears when I restart Firefox.

Addons:

Adblock Plus
BetterPrivacy
DownloadThemAll
Download Statusbar

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Lum posted:

Indeed it can, so now running 64bit Pale Moon 6.

More than 3GB, actually; they made it LARGEADDRESSAWARE with 4.

Ryokurin posted:

A lot of what they were doing before was tweaking cache settings, or claiming that things were fixed but they weren't under conditions that users actually use the program under.

They've made plenty of fixes and improvements in real world scenarios - the problem is more that they keep adding new things that take up more memory than they've saved (The javascript JIT, for one, caused a huge increase in memory usage).

The other big problem is they've only ever caught a narrow range of problems. Lots of memory degradations from new features slipped by their automated testing because it's only run with a single tab open. And they only ever caught "true" memory leaks, where memory would never be freed - if memory wouldn't be freed until closing Firefox, it's no different to the users, but it never would have been caught.

You can see the results of the work they've been doing to help find memory issues by opening up about :memory. The level of detail available is incredibly helpful for narrowing down issues, so I expect we'll continue seeing big improvements in memory usage for a number of releases to come.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Am I the only one who thinks that these releases are way too fast? I keep having to force compat checking to off, it messes up my greasemonkey scripts and such since they don't carry over, I hate it :(

Also it keeps bothering me to update and I'm not interested because of the previous reasons.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Something really annoying has started to happen since perhaps a week ago. I was on 5.0, but just now upgraded to 6.0 and now 6.0.2, same results.

I have my FF set to load google.com upon opening a new tab, and as you know, Google has JavaScript that puts the cursor in the search box. I used to be able begin typing something to search for immediately, as soon as the site had loaded (which is of course lightning fast), but since this started happening, FF doesn't respond to input right away - I have to wait a second or two until I can begin typing. It's almost as if it's attempting to do type-ahead search behind the scene, which "steals" the text from the google.com search text box.

Is this the fault of Google or FF, or a combination?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that these releases are way too fast? I keep having to force compat checking to off, it messes up my greasemonkey scripts and such since they don't carry over, I hate it :(

Also it keeps bothering me to update and I'm not interested because of the previous reasons.

It's bothering me because we don't have administrative access on the lab computer and it UAC keeps asking us to update :argh:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mak0rz posted:

It's bothering me because we don't have administrative access on the lab computer and it UAC keeps asking us to update :argh:

Whoever set up your lab is dumb and didn't turn off auto-update checking for the lab environment.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilsner posted:

Something really annoying has started to happen since perhaps a week ago. I was on 5.0, but just now upgraded to 6.0 and now 6.0.2, same results.

I have my FF set to load google.com upon opening a new tab, and as you know, Google has JavaScript that puts the cursor in the search box. I used to be able begin typing something to search for immediately, as soon as the site had loaded (which is of course lightning fast), but since this started happening, FF doesn't respond to input right away - I have to wait a second or two until I can begin typing. It's almost as if it's attempting to do type-ahead search behind the scene, which "steals" the text from the google.com search text box.

Is this the fault of Google or FF, or a combination?

Could be an extension updating something in the background (like Adblock updating its filter lists) or, if you have a load of Live Bookmarks to load, it could be fetching the RSS feeds there. That said, I have both Adblock and 9 Live Bookmarks loading and focus isn't stolen on startup. You tried the default about :home Google search page?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jeeves posted:

Whoever set up your lab is dumb and didn't turn off auto-update checking for the lab environment.

It's a private research lab, not a teaching lab. My supervisor set up the computer.

EDIT: Is there any way to get separators and a Google Maps term in the quick search list?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 8, 2011

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why not just use the Add-On compatibility checker to permanently suppress checking?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Microsoft Spy posted:

Why not just use the Add-On compatibility checker to permanently suppress checking?

Because that poo poo still requires you to constantly change something?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

trandorian posted:

Because that poo poo still requires you to constantly change something?

You're thinking about the manual about :config setting which was loving awesome until they, as you mention, made it so you have to change it every loving version number.

The add-on handles it all automatically.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

A direct link to what MS Spy was talking about. Install restart choose what you want to use and restart again and you are good. It's the only reason I use Aurora currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
For those wanting an update on Win64 bit they guy who is point on it blogged an update this morning.
http://armenzg.blogspot.com/2011/09/win64-status-update.html