Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Ryokurin posted:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-on-compatibility-reporter/?src=api

A direct link to what MS Spy was talking about. Install restart choose what you want to use and restart again and you are good. It's the only reason I use Aurora currently.

It makes nightly and Aurora tolerable for me as well. Add-on developers need to get out of the habit of marking an add-on as compatible for a given version only. There are enough users and testing on AMO to tell when an add-on looses compat, most can ride the train and not have a care in the world.

My only issue right now is that it does not appear to be working for Thunderbird, I want to run the beta but all my add-ons go out of compat and I can't seem to get the checking to suppress. I have to have my enigmail add-on or I can't read encrypted mail sent to security@moz...grrrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is anyone on OS X having trouble with Youtube on Firefox? at first I just thought it was an issue with embedding, as seen here-

but now I"m getting the same issue when I go to youtube directly as well-

I have the latest flash player version, and in safari I can't seem to replicate it.

e: I tried forcing integrated video with gfxCardStatus, and it works there, but not with the dedicated card (I have a 2011 15" MBP with the 6750m).

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 9, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pseudorandom name posted:

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash?

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work.

Interestingly, if I switch from dedicated/dynamic to integrated and back again, it does work (for that particular video, and not if I refresh the page), but only if I disable flash's hardware acceleration.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Microsoft Spy posted:

For those wanting an update on Win64 bit they guy who is point on it blogged an update this morning.
http://armenzg.blogspot.com/2011/09/win64-status-update.html

That post could have been written a little better, what branches are actually supported as it reads as most are not:

Armen Zambrano posted:

All branches have win64 builds (I have added the last few this morning)
* We don't have win64 support for aurora, beta, release and 1.9.2

RedDragon8429
Jun 10, 2006
I'm having a serious noob problem here. :cry: I just restored my Windows 7 machine to its original factory state and after reinstalling Firefox (the latest version that came off of Mozilla's front page) whenever I do a Google search for something and then click on one of the results, the URL bar flashes http://www.domain-example.com for a fraction of a second and then redirects me back to the Google search results. I have to click on the result I want about 5 times before I can actually get to the page.

Also when I clicked on the Smilies page for the SA forums all the animations were about three times too slow. And I don't know enough about anything to fix it myself. :effort: Any ideas?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I don't know, man, but update your graphics drivers to the newest versions if you just used a system restore disk.

RedDragon8429
Jun 10, 2006

Hogburto posted:

I don't know, man, but update your graphics drivers to the newest versions if you just used a system restore disk.

I'll try that. Thanks.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Some drop down menu has appeared for every input search box on the internet it seems and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It even overlaps other websites suggestions so if I type something in partially on iPlayer, I can't click on iPlayer's suggested results because some google overlap search bollocks is in my way. How do I get rid of it? I've clicked this little cog wheel in the bottom right but the buttons for turning things off don't seem to work.

This keeps coming up at the bottom of most pages too...

I don't remember installing anything.

mikewozere fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 13, 2011

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

mikewozere posted:

are you sure it isn't an ad on the page

also, post all of your extensions.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
It wasn't an add, no. When I went to check my extensions I noticed a vShare add-on or something which turned out to be the culprit. Removing it fixed the issue. Thanks for the suggestion aleksei.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
The NY Times, and possibly other sites, are now using a helpful feature where highlighting text on the page pops up a little ? bubble that you can click on to "Lookup Word". Unfortunately this completely breaks right-click to search Google and every other thing you might do with highlighted text through the context menu since the highlight disappears as soon as you right-click. Any ideas on how to beat this stupid feature?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Firefox has lost it's magic for me. It keeps doing poo poo I don't want it to with an attidue of "welp if you don't like it either find an extension or deal with it", it's become buggy as hell annd I think the love affair is over. I started way back in Firebird beta, so changing is really hard :(

Has Mozilla explained why they made it look like Chrome besides a whole bunch of "design functionality" horseshit in that one video? And what's the deal with the infinite updates, did they just decide to change minor updates to whole new version numbers to encourage people to switch?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Firefox has lost it's magic for me. It keeps doing poo poo I don't want it to with an attitude of "welp if you don't like it either find an extension or deal with it", it's become buggy as hell and I think the love affair is over. I started way back in Firebird beta, so changing is really hard :(
Please elaborate further

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has Mozilla explained why they made it look like Chrome besides a whole bunch of "design functionality" horseshit in that one video? And what's the deal with the infinite updates, did they just decide to change minor updates to whole new version numbers to encourage people to switch?
It follows the "Chrome numbering philosophy" but there are also major overhauls to the browser itself in each version

It allows for new features and bugfixes to be highlighted rather than subsumed by other changes, I think

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Things like the Awesomebar, which while I appreciate I kind of wish I had more control over (though now I'm used to it so v:shobon:v) Just some of the design changes, the OH YOU SHOULD UPGRADE NOW all the time, and the fact that they're busy making it look like Chrome instead of making it not take a terabyte of ram to run sometimes.

Any design decision I'd be happy with, but there's too much THIS IS WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU that I'm just not happy with it anymore. I like my relatively barebones browser without a whole bunch of features I don't want or need and have no control over. If I wanted that I'd use, well, Chrome.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Firefox has lost it's magic for me. It keeps doing poo poo I don't want it to with an attidue of "welp if you don't like it either find an extension or deal with it", it's become buggy as hell annd I think the love affair is over. I started way back in Firebird beta, so changing is really hard :(

I don't understand this line of thinking. Firefox is better than ever, and the beta shows there are no signs of slowing down.

If you don't like how Firefox looks, then change it. I believe I posted screenshots before of how Firefox 4/5/6 can look just like Firefox 3. Yeah, it may need a Status bar extension and a userChrome file, but it's not some huge ordeal to change or "fix" the layout.

Extensions have always been THE reason to use Firefox. I think their motto was "Take back the web", and extensions allow just that.
Chrome doesn't give the same kind of control to extension authors as Firefox does. Adblock and NoScript were never as good on Chrome as they are on Firefox.
Plus, other stuff I'm so use to with Firefox, like middle-click auto-scroll doesn't exist on the Mac version of Chrome. An extension is required for that (and may not work right). And the Chrome status bar? I saw one extension that partially implements that.

If you're concerned with Firefox not being how it use to be, switching to something totally different and foreign like Chrome doesn't make sense.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I think I may also be having a Flash problem in Firefox 7. MLBtv is extremely choppy when I run it in Firefox but works perfectly fine in Safari. This behavior started sometime after upgrading to either Firefox 6 or 7. I have the latest Flash plugin installed.

Firefox is by far my favorite browser due to certain extensions, and this is just a minor annoyance.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The versioning number change is about getting users to update more quickly. The idea is that users are much quicker to update with major version number changes, and the versioning they'd been using understated things - Firefox 3.0 was end-of-lifed a full year before Firefox 4.0 was released.

Now that they've finished working on making it look more like Chrome, they have been making a lot of progress on reducing the RAM usage.

Edit: also, I'm rather appreciative of all the effort spent making firefox use vertical space more efficiently when using a 1366x768 laptop.
Edit 2: This graph makes me sad http://gs.statcounter.com/#resolution-ww-quarterly-200901-201103

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 13, 2011

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

and the fact that they're busy making it look like Chrome instead of making it not take a terabyte of ram to run sometimes.
They've been working on memory usage constantly since FF4, though

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Zhentar posted:

Now that they've finished working on making it look more like Chrome, they have been making a lot of progress on reducing the RAM usage.

Indeed, I have 62 tabs open across 3 windows and it's only using 617,680K which isn't that bad at all really (Pale Moon x64 6.0.2)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
What makes me happy more than anything else is that they've finally figured out how make tabs play nicely with multiple monitors. Meaning, I can take an open tab from one monitor and just drag it over to the other monitor, and it won't open in the first one like it always used to (this is in version 7).

This was basically the only reason I was using chrome, and with FF's superior ad blocking, I can't find a reason to use chrome anymore.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Is there a way to make Firefox stop switching tabs when you middle click a bookmark on the bookmarks bar? I know you can turn this on or off for opening tabs from links, but for some reason it acts differently for bookmarks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Is there an extension or setting I can change to make Firefox use more RAM? I've got 8 gigs in my desktop and 4 in my laptop and I barely use any of it. If I could get FF to use a gig or two, that'd probably be a good start, so any advice you have just let me know!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Try Firefox 4.0 maybe.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
in about: config go to browser.cache.memory.capacity and set the value to 5242880 . Enjoy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
If I hide the menu bar is there a way to get page titles to show on the uppermost bar thats left?

e: And if I had searched slightly longer I would have found what I was looking for .
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/aero-window-title/?src=api

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 13, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Firefox has been crashing all night.

Anyone else suffering more firefox instability? I've just been on forums, youtube and facebook.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

Firefox has been crashing all night.

Anyone else suffering more firefox instability? I've just been on forums, youtube and facebook.

I was/had been experiencing this for the last 3 1/2 days. win7 64bit, firefox 6.02

Got tired of loosing my session/s especially when using the wysiwyg editor on my blog... aarrrrgh so frustrating when you've typed a heap out and loose the whole lot and have to restart from scratch.

downgraded back to 3.6.22 and enjoying the old interface that i missed very much. :3:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Atrocious Pirate posted:

downgraded back to 3.6.22 and enjoying the old interface that i missed very much. :3:

What's the easiest way to downgrade to that specific version?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Got tired of loosing my session/s especially when using the wysiwyg editor on my blog... aarrrrgh so frustrating when you've typed a heap out and loose the whole lot and have to restart from scratch.
You absolutely must install Lazarus. It's the kind of extension that I really feel should come standard with the browser

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Roboto posted:

What's the easiest way to downgrade to that specific version?

I assume your using the us version so simply download this:>
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.22&os=win&lang=en-US

Then simply go to Control Panel :> Add remove Software :> Select Firefox and run the uninstall

Let it keep your custome settings etc, then once the un-installation has finished simply run the installer that you just downloaded, then once that is done re-launch firefox you will need to push ALT then click View and Toolbars then select menu bar that way it appears back.

If your really worried about your profile & settings being screwed then simpy grab http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ make a backup of your current ff6 profile before uninstalling, then once you have removed it and re-installed 3.6.22 and if it happens to not have your settings etc then simply run mozbackup clicking the restore button selecting the file & location you stored the backup and it will re-apply your settings etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A very easy way to quickly switch back and forth between different FF versions is to use a portable version, then you can just replace the \App\Firefox\ folder with any installation package you want to try and the PortableApps wrapper will take care of keeping all your profiles and extensions. Backing up your browser also becomes trivial.

It works even with Pale Moon and similar forks, as long as you create a hardlink to palemoon.exe named firefox.exe.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 14, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The problem is probably tied up with your profile anyway - its worth creating another one and seeing if the current version can behave itself before resorting to rolling back.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

dissss posted:

The problem is probably tied up with your profile anyway - its worth creating another one and seeing if the current version can behave itself before resorting to rolling back.

This. I've had some crashing problems before, but it's usually fixed by recreating the profile. I'm running 7.0 without problems right now.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Things like the Awesomebar, which while I appreciate I kind of wish I had more control over (though now I'm used to it so v:shobon:v) Just some of the design changes, the OH YOU SHOULD UPGRADE NOW all the time, and the fact that they're busy making it look like Chrome instead of making it not take a terabyte of ram to run sometimes.

Any design decision I'd be happy with, but there's too much THIS IS WHAT IS GOOD FOR YOU that I'm just not happy with it anymore. I like my relatively barebones browser without a whole bunch of features I don't want or need and have no control over. If I wanted that I'd use, well, Chrome.

Try Pale Moon. I had the same gripes about the UI you did, but Pale Moon restores the status bar and does some other nice things.

Also I love how the hound in your avatar has a mouth full of those heart-shaped waffles from those novelty waffle irons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is it just me or has AutoPager stopped working on SA?

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

mikewozere posted:

Some drop down menu has appeared for every input search box on the internet it seems and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It even overlaps other websites suggestions so if I type something in partially on iPlayer, I can't click on iPlayer's suggested results because some google overlap search bollocks is in my way. How do I get rid of it? I've clicked this little cog wheel in the bottom right but the buttons for turning things off don't seem to work.

I don't know how it could have happened so quickly but this is behavior I often see with viruses/bad ads. Check your browser settings to make sure you aren't set up using a http proxy. Clear it out if you are and install avast, ad block plus, and superantispyware ASAP.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Delzuma posted:

Clear it out if you are and install avast Microsoft Security Essentials, ad block plus, and superantispyware ASAP.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Superantispyware over Malwarebytes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Toast Museum posted:

Superantispyware over Malwarebytes?

I haven't actually used a dedicated antimalware app in quite a while. MWB is useful for cleaning up infected machines though.