Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Microsoft Spy posted:

Have you all filled bugs on this behavior?
Sure haven't. But this bug seems to be roughly the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Microsoft Spy posted:

Have you all filled bugs on this behavior?

You kidding me? Filing bugs on open source projects gives me nightmares.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So far, 7 seems a little bit quicker, and I've noticed it uses considerably less memory with my usual 8-12 tabs open.

:dance:

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

xamphear posted:

You kidding me? Filing bugs on open source projects gives me nightmares.

Why? I think we make it pretty easy.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

SouthLAnd posted:

So far, 7 seems a little bit quicker, and I've noticed it uses considerably less memory with my usual 8-12 tabs open.

:dance:

I just installed 10 on my mac and it feels even faster, lets hope it stays that way as it moves along. I just joined the bleeding edge club running nightly of both Firefox and Thunderbird.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Briantist posted:

Sure haven't. But this bug seems to be roughly the same issue.

I think the issues might be related, but you are at least getting something, not completely black right?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Microsoft Spy posted:

Why? I think we make it pretty easy.

1. Bugzilla.
    1. You have to have an account to file bugs (I don't recall this being a particularly painful, but it's still a barrier).
    2. It's hard to search for existing bugs. It looks like some improvements have been made to search recently, but the sheer volume still makes things difficult and imposing.
    3. Entering bugs used to suck. It looks like this has gotten dramatically better recently, but you don't know this before signing up and going through writing the bug.
  2. The big one: getting developers/Mozilla (or pretty much any other open source project) to take your bug report seriously can be a tremendous pain in the rear end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Formal bug reports are practically worthless if they aren't filed by a developer who knows how to check that it isn't already listed and who knows what info needs to be in there and what doesn't. If a regular user wants to get a bug fixed they are a lot better off getting some developer interested in the problem via a mailing list or forum or something.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yep, everything Zhentar said. Hell, I've written and released my own open source projects and I still don't want anything to do with filing bugs. Maybe Mozilla is better at issue 2 than other places, but unfortunately you get smeared with the same bad rep. The reaction you get most places isn't "awesome, look at all these bugs being submitted by people for free, now we can fix them and make our code even better" it's "oh great, another bug report that's probably invalid for a bunch of reasons, should I just close it or attempt to make the submitter cry first?"

Even if I put aside Zhentar's number 2, numbers 1b and 1c are the killers. I search for the problem, maybe I don't use the right keywords, maybe I do, and don't find it. Then I spend 10-15 minutes trying to write it up in excruciating detail so that it doesn't get poo poo on right out of the gate, only to have it closed as a dupe for a bug I wasn't able to find. Yay?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2011

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Microsoft Spy posted:

I think the issues might be related, but you are at least getting something, not completely black right?
It's not completely black; the content area is fine, but often the parts of the window that are styled by aero do become completely black.

And to be honest I didn't file a bug because of all the reasons everyone here is stating. I just wasn't going to say anything because I thought I was just being lazy (perhaps that is still the case), but yeah, having to create an account is the biggest barrier right off the bat. I also don't have exact steps necessary to replicate the issue.

And again the problem just isn't inconvenient enough to outweigh the inconvenience of filing. Apparently someone else filed it over a year ago when 4 was still in beta but since the person it was assigned to doesn't have a machine he can replicate it on, not a drat thing has been done to even work on the problem since.

Anyway, to say something positive, so far 7 seems like it is performing better and actually using less RAM. The first firefox upgrade where I've ever noticed a performance increase or decreased RAM usage.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Some time ago I denied an automatic update from FF3.x to 4.0, and ever since then I'm not even getting the option to migrate upwards; only the 3.x bugfixes are offered. Is there a way to re-enable checking for major version updates once I've refused one?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BrainWeasel posted:

Some time ago I denied an automatic update from FF3.x to 4.0, and ever since then I'm not even getting the option to migrate upwards; only the 3.x bugfixes are offered. Is there a way to re-enable checking for major version updates once I've refused one?

The fastest way is to go to firefox.com and download the latest installer.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
t

BrainWeasel posted:

There is no upgrade path from FF3.x to newer version that I am aware of. If you want to upgrade to a newer version I would just download and install over the top. Once that is done you should be offered updates to newer versions.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
I think I have a 3.6.23 install on another computer that's trying to jump to 5.0. But I figured "stop bothering me no wait come back I didn't mean it" was an edge case they probably hadn't programmed for. Thanks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Anyone notice in Firefox 7.0 that it breaks your ability to use mouse back and forward buttons to browse the forums? I noticed that poo poo wasnt working right so I watch the back-forward right click menus. When clicking a last read mark it would open the page twice (adding 2 entries) and then the back button would have to pushed twice to get to the original page, but when this happened any instances of the thread were erased in the forward button and replaced with the original page.

Really annoying. Had to back up to 6.0

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is something to do with the way the forums pages handle ads. They show up as an extra entry in your history or something unless you block them.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's really amusing how often that comes up in this thread. It's at least once a page.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Scoobi posted:

Really annoying. Had to back up to 6.0

That's probably not going to help; it's been this way since 4.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Block ads and move on already. Maybe buy the forums no-ad upgrade as well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Why would it not have shown up in any other version of my firefox?!

Golbez posted:

It did help, because this wasn't an issue before 7? I have adblock plus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scoobi posted:

Why would it not have shown up in any other version of my firefox?!

It did help, because this wasn't an issue before 7? I have adblock plus

People have been reporting the problem every release since 4.0. Also make sure you're actually blocking ads then, if you have adblock plus, it's caused by some of them having lovely iframe stuff happening.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Any idea when the merge is going to take place? I thought it was yesterday but I haven't seen a update yet.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Ryokurin posted:

Any idea when the merge is going to take place? I thought it was yesterday but I haven't seen a update yet.

Go to Help -> About, and FF will update.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Fangs404 posted:

Just did this on 6.02 and says I'm up to date already on Release versions.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I had the same thing happen. Got a notification last night about the new version but canceled because I couldn't do it then. And now it says I'm up to date.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Offered updates to Firefox 7 were disabled due to a bug causing some add-ons to disappear, which has a workaround available here. They'll resume pushing updates with Firefox 7.0.1, which I'm guessing should be out pretty fast. I'd recommend just downloading the update from the Firefox website, the problem is a non-issue if you're not a computer newbie walking into it without warning.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Alereon posted:

Offered updates to Firefox 7 were disabled due to a bug causing some add-ons to disappear, which has a workaround available here. They'll resume pushing updates with Firefox 7.0.1, which I'm guessing should be out pretty fast. I'd recommend just downloading the update from the Firefox website, the problem is a non-issue if you're not a computer newbie walking into it without warning.

Wait, so is this a problem with 7.0 in general, or is it only an issue if it was installed via the updater?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, so is this a problem with 7.0 in general, or is it only an issue if it was installed via the updater?
I believe the issue is with 7.0 in general, that if you update from a previous version some of your add-ons might be hidden. The second link in my post is to a Mozilla add-on that will unhide them. Note that this is different from the update disabling incompatible add-ons.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Updated to 7, yep, memory usage is clearly an improvement :v:

I don't remember 6 even coming close to 2gb

Standish
May 21, 2001

Golbez posted:

apparently fixed in 8

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Daynab posted:

Updated to 7, yep, memory usage is clearly an improvement :v:

I don't remember 6 even coming close to 2gb

I'm on Win7 64b and it has dropped at least 200mb for me over the last few releases.

Wait, no. I switched tab groups since I tend to use a ton of tabs and it shot up 100.
So for me it is a little leaner, but not by much.
Still less than 1gb for me though. And that's with about 20-30 tabs on each tab group.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Toast Museum posted:

As Alereon said this is a bug with 7.0 in general, we will be re-spining the build with a fix very quickly. It was a bug introduced by the new add-on prefrences work.

If you have an add-on that is in a state where it is ready to update and you update Firefox the add-on disappears. If you install/uninstall another add-on the lost add-on reappears. So it's not really lost but the db with all the states and what not got messed up.

Again, we are fixing it and will have this out very quickly. You can also use the add-on recovery tool https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fx7-recovery/ to fix this issue in the interim.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Fangs404 posted:

The merge I was talking about was when 8 is promoted to beta, 9 to Aurora and so forth. It hasn't hit auto update yet but they finally did it this afternoon. I just got so used to the daily updates with Aurora it was freaking me out that it hadn't happened over the last 3 days or so.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Ryokurin posted:

The merge I was talking about was when 8 is promoted to beta, 9 to Aurora and so forth. It hasn't hit auto update yet but they finally did it this afternoon. I just got so used to the daily updates with Aurora it was freaking me out that it hadn't happened over the last 3 days or so.

Oh, oops, my bad! Misunderstood.

[edit]
7.0.1 just hit. My 7.0 just updated.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
7.01 is released and the fix for the add-on issue is in there.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
How the hell do I switch update channels?

I installed the FF7 beta and now it's trying to get me to update to 8.0, but I want to just go to 7.0.1.

Changing app.update.channel to release did nothing, it still says I'm on the beta channel.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Go here, download and install the latest final release of Firefox 7, it will then change your settings to download only the release channel from now on.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 30, 2011

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a question about min tab size.

I like seeing all tabs opened, even if they get ridiculously small.

In 3.x I was used to changing tabMinWidth and tabClipWidth to a low value, like 5, but since 4 this doesn't really work anymore.

Now if I just wanna check a new link while going through my huge tab backlog I have to tab-scroll to the end.

It's not a huge annoyance but is there something else to do to get this behavior back?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Seb posted:

Create userChrome.css file in chrome folder of your profile and:

.tabbrowser-tab[fadein]:not([pinned]) {
min-width: 25px !important;
max-width: 200px !important;
}

Change numbers as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Seb posted:

In 3.x I was used to changing tabMinWidth and tabClipWidth to a low value, like 5, but since 4 this doesn't really work anymore.

Now if I just wanna check a new link while going through my huge tab backlog I have to tab-scroll to the end.

It's not a huge annoyance but is there something else to do to get this behavior back?

Just use Tab Mix Plus.
That way, you can also enable multi-row, which I massively prefer to everything getting unusably small. Having to scroll through tabs would be a UI disaster.