Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I love FireFox AND it used to be (years ago) that hitting ESC would stop GIF animation. What add-in can I use to bring that back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Have you tried this, its not quite the same as its now shift+esc? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/superstop/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Will check this out today

Edit: does not work :(

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 24, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hrm, firefox is now displaying the address bar / URL in a greyed-out fashion. It's still perfectly functional and all, it's just yet another pointless cosmetic change that's currently annoying me. Especially as greying out entry fields actually means something in web UI parlance.

Any tips to revert this?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Serephina posted:

Hrm, firefox is now displaying the address bar / URL in a greyed-out fashion. It's still perfectly functional and all, it's just yet another pointless cosmetic change that's currently annoying me. Especially as greying out entry fields actually means something in web UI parlance.

Any tips to revert this?

You mean how the URL is gray except for the domain name? They did that like 3 years ago or more...

You may be able to make the whole URL black by adding the following setting to about :config.

browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled = false

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nalin posted:

You mean how the URL is gray except for the domain name? They did that like 3 years ago or more...

It's meant to be a security measure to stop shenanigans like "mybank.com.phishingsite.com" - only "phishingsite.com" would get highlighted.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, they mean how the new theme is low-contrast gray on gray on gray because everybody who knows anything about the actual science of GUIs has retired or died of old age and the current crop of UI/UX "designers" across the entire industry are know-nothing fad chasing idiots.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh.

This might help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/themes/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I meant how the background of the address bar is now a pretty discernable grey instead of a more neutral white or off-white. Played around with a few themes, guess I'll just have to live with it.

I'd just wish they'd stop farking changing UI elements! Didn't someone mention some sort of LTS version of firefox that was coming online soon? I'd dig that, security-updates-only sounds like my sort of jam.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/all/#firefox-desktop-esr

This is the ESR version, which gets non-security-related updates at a much slower rate.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That was completely painless, migrated over with the profile intact. Bless you sir, a gentleman and a scholar.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I use Firefox Color, which means all these ui changes pass me by.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Switching to ESR is fine, but it doesn't really solve any problems. You still get to experience the bad UI decisions, just a month or two later.

Anyway here's a thing to add to your userchrome.css file:
code:
/* urlbar white */
#urlbar-background {
    background-color: light-dark(rgba(255, 255, 255, 1), rgba(255, 255, 255, .5)) !important;
}
(That 1 and .5 are the numbers to play around with if you want to adjust this to your own liking: they're setting the opacity of the white. I actually picked .8 for myself to give it just a little fade. The first set is for light mode / theme, the second is for dark theme. And the .5 is a total guess on my part as I only use light theme.)

Another recent addition that I dislike is a fade out on text and site icons in the tab-titlebar when the window is deselected. If you don't like that either, here's the fix:
code:
/* don't fade out titlebar */
#titlebar:-moz-window-inactive
{
    opacity: 1 !important;
}

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

just a month or two later.
Also known as when other people have had plenty of time to figure out how to solve the issues that Mozilla introduce? :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/a-new-chapter-for-mozilla-laura-chambers-expanded-role/

Michell Baker is stepping down as Mozilla Corp CEO, but will stay as chairwoman. Another board member is stepping in as a temp CEO while they look for a permanent replacement.

Supposedly they will be "doubling down on our core products, like Firefox, and building out our capabilities and innovation pipeline to bring new compelling products to market." If google finally pushes the change to cripple adblock in chrome this year, maybe Firefox will have a moment?

I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but eh I guess this at least means they're not gonna go all-in on AI like they were talking about a little while ago. We'll see who they pick as the new permanent CEO.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Offtopic, but isn't adblock already crippled on Chrome? I quickly helped out a friend getting ublock on their stuff, but very specifically chrome-on-android doesn't seem to support it. Which is, y'know, most of the user agents on the web apparently.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

Offtopic, but isn't adblock already crippled on Chrome? I quickly helped out a friend getting ublock on their stuff, but very specifically chrome-on-android doesn't seem to support it. Which is, y'know, most of the user agents on the web apparently.

Chrome-on-android has *never* had extensions, so it's never had adblock.

You can do firefox for android (it's kinda slow), or use vivaldi or brave which have built-in adblocking ability.

The "chrome crippling adblock" is a thing that's coming to the desktop browser, which limits the amount of filters you can have and heavily neuters dynamic filters, which are the most powerful adblock method.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you wanna look up the technical details of the Chromium-based browsers losing the ability to effective adblock, it's that Manifest V3 for WebExtensions in Chromium-based browsers is removing/blocking WebRequests.
WebRequests are the API that's the killer feature that uBlock Origin takes advantage of to apply both network-level blocks and DOM element filters on a per-domain basis.
Without it, it's very hard to do effective blocking of certain kinds of ads - which, of course, is why Alphabet is forcing it to be removed.
The majority of their income is from Google AdSense - with most of everything they do being a way to herd people towards being products for them to sell to other companies.

Firefox, being one of the few alternative engines to Chromium, is well-situated to try and differentiate itself - whereas companies that use Chromium for a product (see: Microsoft Edge, Brave, and Vivaldi) will have to either decide to work together or each come up with their own (incompatible?) ways to re-implement WebRequests.
Apples Safari will presumably be fine too, but I've no clue what they're up to (since my 2012 Macbook Pro doesn't get software updates, despite still working just fine).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, Vivaldi's plan is "port the existing Webrequests code forward", but I don't get the impression that they have seriously talked about how much work that will probably be. (They run on a Jón-driven development process. As in whatever Jón von Tetchner thinks is important that week is top priority.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Brave's built in adblocker at least does not use the Manifest API at all so will be unaffected by the change.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Brave's built in adblocker at least does not use the Manifest API at all so will be unaffected by the change.

https://www.spacebar.news/stop-using-brave-browser/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This is the same series of three complaints that people parrot it over and over again about Brave. That the CEO was a right-wing guy, that they did some ad injection experiments like a decade ago, and affiliate links half a decade ago. The fact is the most recent stuff that anyone can point to that Brave itself did is half a decade ago should really raise some flags that complaints about it are exaggerated.

While the CEO is kind of a jackass in his politics. As far as I know nothing about that has ever worked its way into the company, it's just his personal beliefs. If you're going to boycott a company because some C-suite guy is a right-wing douchebag then you're not going to be able to do business with any company in America.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

The "chrome crippling adblock" is a thing that's coming to the desktop browser, which limits the amount of filters you can have and heavily neuters dynamic filters, which are the most powerful adblock method.

Just to further clarify based on this point, the biggest thing that will "cripple" adblock is that you cannot dynamically manage your filters anymore. You can only use the filters that get shipped with the extension, and those can only be updated when the extension itself updates.

Remember how Google was changing YouTube's ad script twice a day? With uBO the quick fixes filter gets updated every 4 hours and you can manually force an update whenever. This will become impossible. You won't be able to have an adblock war with YouTube in the future. All Google would need to do is delay the release of a new version of uBO-Lite to something like once every 2 days, then immediately push an update to YouTube. You would never be able to block YouTube ads again on Chrome.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is the same series of three complaints that people parrot it over and over again about Brave. That the CEO was a right-wing guy, that they did some ad injection experiments like a decade ago, and affiliate links half a decade ago. The fact is the most recent stuff that anyone can point to that Brave itself did is half a decade ago should really raise some flags that complaints about it are exaggerated.

While the CEO is kind of a jackass in his politics. As far as I know nothing about that has ever worked its way into the company, it's just his personal beliefs. If you're going to boycott a company because some C-suite guy is a right-wing douchebag then you're not going to be able to do business with any company in America.

It embraced and continues to push cryptocurrency as recently as last year. That's plenty reason enough to avoid it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

biznatchio posted:

It embraced and continues to push cryptocurrency as recently as last year. That's plenty reason enough to avoid it.

Any and all cryptocurrency stuff in Brave is opt-in. It's off by default. And I can't imagine that it's going to be a big push going forward with the huge crash that crypto had last year.

And even at its worst it doesn't use GPU mining or anything like that for its currency so even if you opt in it's not like you're wasting a bunch of energy or ruining the planet for some space bucks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is anyone aware of a relatively easy to use extension or similar that would let you fill out a form, pulling from a .csv and mapping columns to fields? So you'd have X number of rows and it would just fill out the form and submit X number of times?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any and all cryptocurrency stuff in Brave is opt-in. It's off by default. And I can't imagine that it's going to be a big push going forward with the huge crash that crypto had last year.

And even at its worst it doesn't use GPU mining or anything like that for its currency so even if you opt in it's not like you're wasting a bunch of energy or ruining the planet for some space bucks.

did you know it's really easy to just download firefox instead

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I do use Firefox as my primary browser though?

This derail started because someone got their knickers twisted after Brave and Vivaldi’s adblocks were mentioned as being unaffected by manifest 3.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm sticking with the ESR version of Firefox for the foreseeable future.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do use Firefox as my primary browser though?

This derail started because someone got their knickers twisted after Brave and Vivaldi’s adblocks were mentioned as being unaffected by manifest 3.

Nah my knickers are in good order, anyway I don't know why you feel the need to keep bringing up the lovely crypto browser here in the Firefox thread. I don't have any interest in continuing the derail either.

Internet Explorer posted:

Is anyone aware of a relatively easy to use extension or similar that would let you fill out a form, pulling from a .csv and mapping columns to fields? So you'd have X number of rows and it would just fill out the form and submit X number of times?

Anyway, sorry the derail is burying your question here, I have no idea if there is such an extension.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh no worries, no apologies necessary. If someone knows I'm sure they'll chime in. :pray:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not really sure what you're after but it sounds like the kind of thing you'd struggle to find pre-made and would likely have to make yourself. I can imagine it being fairly simple with something like Python that just reads each line and send a request, or even a script that reads each line from a file and uses CURL to send the request.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I think you're right. I was looking at Selenium as well. I was hoping to save some time by using something premade.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
AutoHotKeys came to mind as I know its pretty powerful, no idea how easy it is to use though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nalin posted:

Just to further clarify based on this point, the biggest thing that will "cripple" adblock is that you cannot dynamically manage your filters anymore. You can only use the filters that get shipped with the extension, and those can only be updated when the extension itself updates.

And there is a maximum rate that extension can update. So even if you did update the youtube filters asap, users would not see the new version of the extension until days later.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If it helps, I wrote a javascript CSV parser a few weeks back - it takes a string or byte[], and parses each line into an array; returning an array of arrays. That may be the easy part, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Postman is probably your best bet for this, although it will require a bit of scripting to achieve.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

A browser extension is the wrong place to look. This sort of task is the domain of automation tools like Zapier or Microsoft Power.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If I could use those types of tools for this I would. :)

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/mozilla-lays-off-60-people-wants-to-build-ai-into-firefox/

Mozilla got a new "interim" CEO just a few days ago, and the first order of business appears to be layoffs. Bloomberg was the first to report that the company is cutting about 60 jobs, or 5 percent of its workforce. A TechCrunch report has a company memo that followed these layoffs, detailing one product shutdown and a "scaling back" of a few others.

While chasing the trends of VR and metaverse didn't work out, Mozilla now wants to chase another hot new trend: AI! The memo says: "In 2023, generative AI began rapidly shifting the industry landscape. Mozilla seized an opportunity to bring trustworthy AI into Firefox, largely driven by the Fakespot acquisition and the product integration work that followed. Additionally, finding great content is still a critical use case for the Internet. Therefore, as part of the changes today, we will be bringing together Pocket, Content, and the AI/ML teams supporting content with the Firefox Organization. More details on the specific organizational changes will follow shortly." Mozilla paid an undisclosed sum in 2023 to buy a company called Fakespot, which uses AI to identify fake product reviews. Specifically citing "generative AI" leads us to believe the company wants to build a chatbot or webpage summarizer.

Seems Good..