Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't have a loving clue what's going on. I am on a Mac, 10.7.1, was on FF 7.0 and all was well. I then updated to 7.0.1 and all of a sudden I can't view any sites - the browser just doesn't make an attempt to load them. I tried 8.0.1 beta and it's the same. I went back to 7.0 and it's the same. Tried disabling all addons to no avail, also rebooted. Chrome and Safari work fine, as do my other internet-using programs. Anyone know how the hell I can use firefox once more? This is really annoying me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The new profile made it work, but does this mean that I've got to start afresh with years worth of bookmarks and extension settings?

Edit: Anything I try and copy across from the old profile fucks it up. This is utter loving poo poo and a large waste of my time. Nerdrage.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2011

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Welp, I've not loving done anything and now the old profile works. I hope it doesn't stop working again. I'm going to stop FF from trying to get me to update now, looks like it's 7.0.1 for a long time to come.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

An update to my problems:

I made a backup of my old profile, then removed FF using CleanApp to remove any trace of it. I installed afresh and copied my original profile over. If I launch it via the terminal:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

It works perfectly, using the old profile. If I launch it via the .app icon or the dock, it doesn't work. So it seems that SOMEHOW this is related to how I launch the application, and is nothing to do with my profile. Can anyone think why this would work when I launch it via the terminal, but not other ways? This makes no sense to me.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Firefox has a password saved for a form on my company site. I recently had to change the password, but firefox won't let me update it. Is there a way to make it update it? I tried deleting the entry but it doesn't even offer to save it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

So apparently I'm stuck on FF 6.0.2 for OS X forever.

When I tried to update to 8, it stopped any pages loading - it was as though it didn't make any attempt. I then rolled back and tried 7, and the same happened (I've now also tried 9). In both cases, if I created a new profile it worked, but I have hundreds of bookmarks that I am unable to copy over in bulk because when I try it just stops working again.

On top of this, it works with the old profile if I launch it like this:

/Applications/Internet/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

But not if I use the icon. Does anyone know why this might be?