Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I upgraded to version 6 on my windows 7 desktop and macbook pro laptop. I have fireftp on both computers and it no longer seems to work on either computer. What's weird is that the add-ons menu says Fireftp works but there's no firestp option in the tools menu.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (restarting Firefox) but that didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Gmail is hosed up for me on Firefox 8 (windows 7 pc)

The body of each message is hidden. Same with the IM window. I logged in using chrome and it worked fine. What's going on?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fangs404 posted:

Maybe a hosed up extension? Try disabling them all and re-enabling one by one.

Adblock plus 1.3.10 caused it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm not sure where else to post this but Firefox has started acting weird on me in Firefox. I have SALR installed. I suddenly get logged out of SA and when I click to log in, it does not register and it still shows me as being logged out. I used history to forget about this site, which worked for a while but now that doesn't even work. This has happened before on metafilter.com but forget site usually works.

I've already deleted cookies.sqlite in my profile folder and restarted Firefox. No effect.

I created a new profile and then it remembered the login info. However, I didn't want to lose my bookmarks, saved passwords, etc so I copied some of the old profile files onto the new one. Still worked. I started adding the add-ons I use. After about 20 minutes and with 5 add ons , it stopped remembering my SA login info like before. I disabled all add-ons - still doesn't work.

If this isn't cookies.sqlite or add-ons what should I do? I think it might have something to do with an old-plugin called foxytunes that I uninstalled a long time ago but I don't think I fully uninstalled it or it left something behind that is still interfering. For a while, I used a program called Soluto to monitor my computer and it frequently warned me that foxytunes crashed when nothing was happening.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Alereon posted:

Back up your profile then use "Refresh Firefox" from about :support, which builds a new profile then re-imports your data. Since it doesn't copy the files itself that can prevent issues.

Okay I did that - looks like it works so far. Since it re-imported my data, is there anything from my old profiles I should manually copy over or should I just reinstall my add-ons?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Firefox broke again. Youtube videos just show a black screen in the HTML5 player and I can't stay logged into SA. I refreshed Firefox again and now it seems to work, but for how long? I'll change which add ons I install, see if that works.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 15, 2016

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

jeeves posted:

The thing that I like about Firefox's big UI updates is that there is almost always a way to disable or revert things.

This time, I deleted all of the dumb extra space on either side of the URL bar, and deleted a bunch of extra new buttons. I have a small quirk that they changed the icon of the bookmarks menu to a Star with a bracket under it-- I keep accidentally clicking on the "show sidebars" button thinking it is bookmarks.

Changing the Firefox default theme to "light" helped revert the non-current tabs to a light background instead of black.

Now if only I could find a way to disable the short fade in/out menus on the bookmark menu and such.

how do you change the theme?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

The new version of Noscript is terrible. It creates a popup window for XSS sites but when I click to always block something, the window keeps coming back. Is there a comparable add on I could use instead of noscript?

Also, Lastpass isn't saving my login info even when I tell it to. I have to type in user name and password every time I close and reopen FF.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

astral posted:

Don't use lastpass, but especially don't use their browser addon.

Why?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

So is there a good password manager with a Firefox add on?

edit: and a good replacement for Noscript?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

uMatrix. You can easily make it only block scripts if you insist that's all that should happen. But it can block a lot more if you want. And you can globally allow script sources like NoScript would, again, if you feel that's proper. But it can allow on a per originating and per destination site basis.

It doesn't have popups for anything. It just blocks or allows based on what you've set it to do.

does it require a lot of configuration to be useful or does it work pretty well from a fresh install?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Firefox is acting weird - dropped noscript and switched just to ublock origin in medium mode. However, now at random times, tabs just blank out and I have to reload them. I was listening to streaming music via youtube and it just stopped. I guess certain tabs are crashing? I also have to quit out firefox if I want to play a video game. Otherwise the game just crashes.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

Updated your graphics drivers recently?

Because that's your graphics drivers.

I googled around and found a post on the FF tech support forum to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185117

It works. Video games aren't a problem now.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Newest version of Firefox does an annoying thing with the windows 10 taskbar. I have my Firefox shortcut as the first icon in my taskbar. When I open a new window, it creates a new icon for that window at the end of the icons on the taskbar, but the Firefox icon still exists as the first icon.

When I click on the first icon, it opens a new window, instead of pulling up the existing one. It only started doing this when it updated recently. I am on version 63.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

astral posted:

Have you already tried pinning the new icon that appears and unpin the original? Assuming you aren't doing complicated shortcut things with preset profiles and whatnot.

That doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

that worked! thanks!