Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Cool Matty posted:

Firefox AND Chrome, actually. Chrome's removed/removing support for .h264.
and Opera (not that anyone uses it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there a setting/extension to get private browsing mode to not read any cookies, like the ones made from non-private browsing mode?

Basically I'd like private browsing mode to act like a temporary equivalent of clearing all of my cookies

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, that's definitely how it works already.

Then why is it I can't see special ads more than once? Don't they store a cookie so they only show X times per Y?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

What's the status with 64bit?
Is there an official, stable, 64bit build of Firefox yet?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

It may have to do with an upgrade to version 12...

If I visit a radio station website (i.e. 106.7 lite fm's book cafe), 99% of the time it just loads as far as the navigation part and sits there spinning on "Read apis.google.com" in the lower corner.

I've deleted my cooking, cache, even used Bleachbit, but nothing works. It's fine in Chrome and no other user has this sort of problem.

No, I can't use any extension to disable such things since part of my job is coding for such social network functionality.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Lord of Sword posted:

I've had a problem for ages with Firefox where the far left edge seems to be just outside the actual frame of the window, so that the first couple of pixels are cut off. It's probably the most insignificant bug I've ever come across but is there a way to fix it? (I'm running 3.6, but there's no thread for older versions).

Upgrade to Firefox 13 :v: (Firefox 3.6 isn't supported anymore and could be considered a vulnerability).
I tried looking through Bugzilla about that issue but couldn't find anything. Of course that issue is sort of difficult to describe, so maybe I missed it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Yes, you don't like the changes, therefore no one does and they are done at random.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

If that auto-updating is working, you'll notice Firefox 16 has been released

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

So, from what I've seen, it has really taken them until version 19 to get Firefox to look the same on each platform?

They intentionally looked different. The original idea was to have each version look native to its platform.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Is there an extension that will block a specific JavaScript file and only that file? NoScript blocks everything under the sun, and YesScript blocks an entire server.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Hm, I guess it's about time for the thread title to be updated again.
Firefox: Australis coming 2016!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

Actually, Adobe makes the Flash specification available now, but it's still proprietary. Link

Implementing it in JS is interesting, but I don't think there have been any legal cases brought up about it yet, so you'd be entering a legal gray area by doing that.
I think at this point people would rather kill Flash than reimplement it via JavaScript.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Go back to 21-24? These updates are ridiculous. (Remember when youtube used to work?!)
If you'd roll back, I'd only suggest 24(esr). 21-23 aren't supported so could have security issues.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

jink posted:

I hope the community receives it well;
It's a UI change, the community will act like the sky is falling.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

FRINGE posted:

I agree. Its someones idea of shoving their aesthetic on everyone and creating excuses for it.

Pretty much the same reason for every unneeded UI rearrangement.

By shoving you mean, "down your throat" because your way is the one true way to use a browser, right?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

FRINGE posted:

The non-popup bar that has been used for a very long time was just too hard to keep on with so now its removed so that we have dynamic popups that require a lot of user/pointer tracking and dynamic generation because that is "easier".

So yes. This was someone shoving their aesthetics on the users.

Your comment is actually exactly what is being done to the established users, you just got it backwards.

And its not working out too well.

First off, you're asuming people are leaving Firefox due to UI change. Maybe they feel Chrome is faster, or prefer Webkit Blink, maybe something else.
Second, even if you assume UI is why they are leaving, they are leaving for Chrome. Therefore the solution would be to make the UI more like Chrome...

HalloKitty posted:

Actually, if a user is happy and something changes they don't like, then essentially yes, their way is the one true way they want to use their browser.

There's nothing at all wrong with that, either, contrary to what many "change is great" people think.

That said, people question the wrong things at times. The awful staggered QWERTY keyboard has been unquestioned by most.
Completely satisfying a user is fine, completely satisfying all users is impossible.

I'm fine with people having different opinions, just not acting like their opinion is fact. I also don't like when a UI change is coming (Firefox, Windows, Ubuntu, etc) people only ask how it can be reset not how it can be improved.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Just complaining about UI changes is pretty much entirely pointless. I'm not sure any serious developers actually pay attention to user complaints, unless they're particularly well-expressed and provide potential solutions (or if the developer already agrees with the complaint and just didn't have time to fix it yet). If you really want to make UIs that most people like, it's better to do stuff like A/B testing and user studies, since you can be quite a bit more scientific with them instead of making a change reactively just because of a vocal minority.
Yeah this is what I was getting at.

three posted:

What's the "best practice" for handling Firefox updates in an enterprise? We're using Firefox ESR right now with auto updates turned off and our packaging team is manually packaging every new ESR release. This seems in-optimal.
I'd like to know this too, got kind of lost among the new release/UI chat.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Riso posted:

Glad to see they still gently caress around with the UI instead of providing some decent support for business needs.
Support for Windows software deployment and group policies? How bourgeoisGoogle Chrome.

God beware Mozilla might increase market share that way!
It's almost as if the UX engineering deciding/coding the UI would be different people with different skill sets than the people doing support for group policies!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Applebees posted:

What was the controversy?
He created JavaScript :v:

Seriously though, he donated $1,000 to Prop 8 (making it illegal for same sex marriages in California) back in 2008

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

hifi posted:

Nightly has a 64 bit build
Why make the effort only to remove it for the more stable releases?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I just went to About Firefox and it upgraded to Firefox 29, isn't that a day early?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

xamphear posted:

AdBlock Plus could use 4 gigs of RAM all by itself, and it would still be worth it. I would buy more RAM and install it before turning ABP off.
I can't wait until all websites have to be behind a paywall :allears:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Restarted FF today and TabMix Plus got updated. Since then, new tabs opened via Ctrl+T open at the end of the tab row, not next to the current. I've checked the setting to no avail.

FF v. 28, TabMix Plus v. 0.4.1.5.1

Anyone else?

Edit: I knew I'd find the answer within 5 minutes: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18884

Oh well.
While you found the issue to be with the extension, you probably shouldn't be using an unsupported version of Firefox anyway.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Geemer posted:

I guess that when I get back to my computer after my trip, I'll check what creates the 0b icon files with procmon. And try the stuff you mentioned in your first post. I hadn't noticed that you edited it.
Thanks for the effort, anyway.

E: The links in the jump list that are showing bad icons are most frequently visited sites, so they usually display the relevant favicon. They all link to regular websites for me, no pdf or other exotic things.

Sorry not sure how to fix it, but I'm looking at mine and I have the exact same issue. I just never noticed :monocle:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Is there a 'right' way to install Firefox in a corporate environment so that way it can be automatically updated without admin rights?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

We already have Chrome but some prefer Firefox.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Jippa posted:

Can some one tell me how to adblock this pop up thing on twitter please.

http://i.imgur.com/6DPuAqL.jpg
code:
body > .modal-overlay, #signup-dialog{display:none!important;}
body{overflow: auto!important;}
That second line re-enables scrolling.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

There is a certain level of irony about the drama being "people should be paid for their work" when the point of the add-on is to block ads.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

It's almost as if when software gets really popular and you fix the complaints some people have, you'll create complaints from others, because people have varied, sometimes diametrically opposed preferences.

No. That can't be it, it's just Mozilla is dumb and/or out to get me and this wouldn't happen if I made a browser, which I won't.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Desuwa posted:

Sometimes it's just not liking change for the sake of change
Change I don't like = change for the sake of change :allears:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Tabs belong just above the window the represent. Below the URL and above the webpage.
Why above the window they represent but not the URL they represent?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

xamphear posted:

I don't like it either, and on the nightly builds there's another giant pointless bar at the bottom with just a small "Change Search Settings" link. This means that out of the 7 rows, only 5 of them are actually useful. Let's hope the real/polished UI is coming later?
Sounds like by "polished" you mean remove things! You're one of them! :argh:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I have many email addresses and it's PITA to check them separately. Thunderbird combines them all in one well working application. Why wouldn't you use it?

Because that's not unique to Thunderbird, also the proliferation of mobile devices.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

didn't they fire the gayhating ceo relatively recently? maybe he was a lunatic in more ways than one?
He was CEO for less than two weeks and it was 1.5 years ago. To blame Mozilla/Firefox's downfall on him is some SJW levels of fingerpointing logic.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mozilla is working on a rebrand. :argh: why aren't they working on {thing} instead*

*(even though this was a third party and even if it weren't, artistic things are done by different people than coding features)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

All I know is everything Mozilla does is bad. If only they listened to ME, then Firefox would see a true Renaissance in adoption. I won't try to make my own browser, or even file bug reports on bugzilla lest I be proven wrong. That way I can still act smug, believing I have all the answers.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

fishmech posted:

That didn't happen, the IE thing. What actually happened was that Microsoft planned to only do new IE versions when a new Windows version came out [this changed due to Firefox].
Let's hope Apple does the same with Safari hahahahaha

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

fishmech posted:

That didn't change due to Firefox though? IE7 still came out with Vista. IE8 came out with Windows 7. IE10 came out with Windows 8 and IE11 with Windows 8.1
IE 7 and 8 didn't require Vista and 7 respectively, though. They were available on other versions of Windows. That's what I thought was the change.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mozilla has acquired Pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

New UI for Firefox, coming in Nov with the end of 'classic' (read: non web-extension) add-ons.