Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheDukeOfFail posted:

I previously had an addon that would only load tabs when I clicked on them for the first time, which greatly reduced this problem but it stopped working at some point and I've forgotten what it is anyway. Anything else that does this?

Set browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This time around they actually built the tools necessary to blame specific components for memory allocations and are working to fix them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It isn't 40 MB of text. It's 40 MB of text marked up to look pretty.

If you could view the page source of the View Source window, you'd see all kinds of bold/italic/color styling and hyperlinks and whatnot.

Obviously there isn't actually source because all the formatting is generated at runtime from the input DOM tree, but the output DOM tree for a 40 MB input is going to be gigantic.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

The view source option just displays the SVG source for me. And what would an SVG image have to do with the DOM?

SVG images have a DOM, they're scriptable XML documents.

And this thing here has a DOM, too:

You have to make the text pink, purple, blue, black, bold and italic somehow.

So the DOM for a SVG image is going to be even larger than the input text, and the DOM for the generated document displayed in the View Source window is going to be even larger. By my count, that single <svg> tag at the top there has been turned into at least 20 DOM nodes, with who knows how many attributes.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 4, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration in Flash?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Generally the UI is on the main thread. You want everything else off the main thread.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Appears to be a side effect of the long term effort of removing signed scripts and privileges.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It is possible that your company site added autocomplete=off to the password element sometime in between when you saved the password and when changed the password.

(Pro tip: if you use Firebug or whatever to delete the autocomplete=off attribute from the password input element, Firefox will save the password when you submit the form.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I have a Greasemonkey script for it already.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you take a look at about:memory, you'll probably see compartments for pages you've visited in the past but aren't currently open, and their presence is probably the result of having a broken extension installed that keeps stray references to DOM objects around.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That looks like the HTML5 WebM player.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do you have an Alt key stuck down?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Which means that one of the filter sets you're subscribed to caused it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

For the right click, in the preferences dialog, Content tab, the Advanced button next to Enable JavaScript, uncheck "Disable or replace context menus"

The text selection disabling works by blocking mouse clicks entirely, and that's not something that's configurable. Ctrl-A still works, as does View Source. You could even edit the page in question to remove the script that does it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Alereon posted:

Note that this is just about making their build machines 64-bit, they're still using a 32-bit compiler and producing 32-bit builds. The issue with making a release version of Firefox that's 64-bit is the compatibility problems. Flash, Java, and now Silverlight might be ready, but there's still people out there using Shockwave, Real, Quicktime, etc. Even if both builds are available, you'll still have people downloading the wrong one and flooding SUMO to ask why Bonzi Buddy doesn't work.

If only they had some sort of mechanism to host plugins outside of the main process...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's because AdBlock in Chrome is basically a stylesheet hack.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, nice to see that experimental versions of Chrome are finally catching up to Firefox in this area.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Is there a setting you can change in Firefox for when it's your ISP, not your router, screwing you?

No, but your ISP might have such a setting hidden away somewhere.

I know that Comcast does.

If your ISP doesn't, you may be able to stop using their DNS servers and use e.g. Google Public DNS instead. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) This might not be possible, though, because some ISPs snoop outgoing DNS traffic and transparently redirect it to their own servers.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

I went to my router (Linksys) and manually set DNS to 4.2.2.2 and I have Comcast. No more obnoxious redirects. Especially useful since I have a laptop as my daily driver but can't have manual DNS.

4.2.2.2 is a root server, you really shouldn't be contacting it directly. At the very least, use Google Public DNS, they actually intend for it to be used by the seething unwashed masses.

Alternately, the Comcast opt-out is at http://dns-opt-out.comcast.net/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You'll get a UAC dialog the first time the privileged service is installed. Like Steam.

Chrome's user profile installs is basically a way to give people stuck with IE6 in the enterprise a way to install Chrome without administrator privileges.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Not really, but close enough.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Installing services requires administrative privileges. Services have a number of configuration parameters, one of which is the account it runs as, another is whether or not unprivileged accounts are allowed to start that service.

Installing the service will require a UAC prompt. It will be configured to run using a privileged account and allow unprivileged user accounts to start it. Once it is installed, Firefox will be able to invoke the service on demand without any UAC prompts.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Good luck getting your virus signed by Mozilla.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

computer parts posted:

This reminded me of something- I get a "scanning for viruses" alert whenever I download a file in FF, right before it allows me to open it. Is this a browser thing or should I be looking at my plugins/extensions? (This is a Windows & OS X thing so I doubt it's necessarily an anti-virus)

Firefox does that itself without the need of an extension, assuming you have a virus scanner installed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Also regarding my earlier post above about my problem with Hotmail, I'm just wondering if any of you use Hotmail with Firefox and if so does it run smoothly for you? At least this way I'll know if it's just me or if it's a Firefox thing and I can stop looking for a solution.

I don't use Hotmail, but when I log in, it seems to freak out and do a bunch of requests at random intervals. None of them interfere with Firefox's operation. I'm going to assume that this is Microsoft's problem, because everything I've ever seen of their web development suggests they live in a delusional world where people use Internet Explorer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

People actually make new profiles?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cursor vanishing is just Flash being terrible.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bring up the full menu bar if it isn't there already, and uncheck View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Technically, they're not adding H.264 to Firefox, they're adding the ability to use the OS supplied H.264 decoder. If your OS (i.e. Windows XP) doesn't come with one, you're out of luck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In your SA user options, make sure "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" is turned off.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's just obeying Google's style sheet -- Arial, size 113% of medium.

Medium is defined by CSS to be the user's configured font size, so you can adjust that in the options dialog.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The combined total number of stored history entries and bookmarks is limited to a dynamically calculated value based on your memory and disk space.

This value is stored in places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

You can override it by storing a value in places.history.expiration.max_pages

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The usual reason in that situation would be your employer running a man-in-the-middle attack on all SSL traffic so they can spy on everything their employees do.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gmail is fine if you use the compact density and text buttons.

And any leaks are almost certainly the fault of a bad extension leaking references to compartments.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There was a forums update to fix timg in Chrome (and make embeds work on iPads). It still works for me in Firefox 12.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They don't have a monopoly on phones or tablets.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Firebug's Net panel tracks the times for everything that a page loads.

edit: Huh. Looking at SA page loads, we can see they screwed up the stylesheet caching.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2012

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cookies have expiration dates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'd be surprised if the autocompletion doesn't use the same prioritizing mechanism as everything else.