Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Has Firefox suddenly gotten bad at remembering your session for anyone else starting version 32? I just BSOD'd and despite having Firefox set to remember my session it forgot it on relaunch. Same with my laptop's Firefox install, which is randomly forgetting the session on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

hooah posted:

For the past few days, I've been getting unresponsive script messages a few times a day. Here's an example from insider.microsoft.com:

How can I track down what's causing this? I've seen it on many different sites.
jid1-iqdnyiaxnc724q is apparently the Greenhouse extension

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's a good way to force a page to display using a character set that isn't in this list:

Specifically, I'm after forcing a site to display in Western (DOS) as it's usually called, since it uses DOS western codepage characters for drawing.
You can't, they're removing support for those. Provide justification for why you need them in that bug and maybe they won't!

Probably other bugs related to this somewhere.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well I was assuming there might be an extension that covered it to use for this purpose.
post an example of a textfile.com file that FF misdetects, I want to see if I can fix it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Well for that particular file using Cyrillic (DOS) works fine

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Western (IBM-850) works for this
That's one of the codepages that Firefox is removing support for.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I updated to 34.0.5 and now Firefox won't launch. firefox.exe stays in the process list for ~3 seconds before disappearing, even if launched with -safe-mode. Launching the profile manager (-p) also fails. What do I do here?
EMET was silently breaking it. Cool stuff.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

If literally no programs work after Firefox crashes you have way more serious issues than a profile issue, run a Memtest or something

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

For anyone else who didn't see it, Firefox now has a tracking protection system built in: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tracking-protection-firefox
Set privacy.trackingprotection.enabled to true to enable it.

http://ieee-security.org/TC/SPW2015/W2SP/papers/W2SP_2015_submission_32.pdf
Abstract
—We present Tracking Protection in the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Tracking Protection is a new privacy technology to mitigate invasive tracking of users’ online activity by blocking requests to tracking domains. We evaluate our approach and demonstrate a 67.5% reduction in the number of HTTP cookies set during a crawl of the Alexa top 200 news sites. Since Firefox does not download and render content from tracking domains, Tracking Protection also enjoys performance benefits of a 44% median reduction in page load time and 39% reduction in data usage in the Alexa top 200 news sites.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Asimo posted:

:ughh:

I dropped Opera because they hosed it up and removed all sorts of customization and convenience. I'm glad that Firefox is happily tanking their utility, I guess browser companies won't be happy until everything's at the simplest common denominator. Why am I not using Chrome again..?
because chrome is bad

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

My least favorite part of the omnibox is when I'm typing something to find in my history, like "phrase", and it goes:

"phr"
[suggests right thing, but i am still typing]
"phra"
[i hit enter, but suddenly it is suggesting a google search]

where if I hit backspace (or sometimes keep typing) it goes back to suggesting the history item. So with Chrome I have to be careful/slow, which is annoying.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Has anyone else seen issues with HTTPSEverywhere's SSL Observatory? I was having 30+ second pageloads (on some pages only) with Firefox maxing out a core that I eventually narrowed down to the observatory being enabled.

Wondering if it's just my system or a problem with the addon.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Imgur's upload page is hosed and has been for a long time. I had an issue a while back where (IIRC) if I selected images with Enter, instead of pressing Open or whatever, it consistently failed. They also used to have an issue where transloading a bunch of images would fail on like 10% of them, but it now retries instead of going "welp whatever"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/08/mozilla-will-stop-developing-and-selling-firefox-os-smartphones/
rip firefox os

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is e10s available in the release channel? There's no checkbox in the preferences where the wiki tells me to look

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I haven't had the issue of choking on a page full of multimedia since I disabled Flash.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The Airbnb homepage or what? Because it's smooth for me in FF.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/02/04/update-on-2016-firefox-release-schedule/
Firefox is changing from a 6-week fixed release schedule to a 6-8 week variable release schedule, where releases come every 5-8 weeks.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Saukkis posted:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xmpppy/files/xmpppy/

I didn't check what the contents of the .exe were and I'm not sure if it was generated by SF or published by the authors, but I have trouble thinking about a purpose for it.
That's sourceforge suggesting the latest Win32 version. It's a normal distutils exe, just for the wrong OS.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nalin posted:

It looks like the bug where animated .gifs could lock up Firefox for long periods of time is finally going to be fixed in Firefox 47. Now to wait 3 months for the fix to hit release...
where's the bugzilla for this, I've literally never had this issue and I'm interested in reading about it

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The bug in 51 where pressing enter in the address bar takes you to the last URL you typed is incredibly annoying
I keep pressing enter to recenter on an anchor and ending up deeply confused

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

About Firefox says 64 bit now for me for the first time. Pretty sure they added the bit tag in 51. Was using x64 for a long time, though.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is there any way to force tabs into the titlebar when FF isn't fullscreen? The extension I used to do it with broke in 52.0.1 or .2
I hate the wasted space up top that I never click on

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Nalin posted:

You could try the new "Compact Light" theme. It removes the titlebar entirely. It is a built-in theme. Just go to Customize and it will be in the theme list button on the bottom-left.
That's still in beta afaict, I'll try it when it's out

Avenging Dentist's css set to 0px gives what I was looking for in 52 though, so thanks!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Why is this presentation unwatchable using Firefox?

http://darevay.com/talks/clojurewest2012/#/title-slide

I get lag and stutter, in Chrome everything works fine.
I only get slight stutter on my laptop in a Firefox window with 400 tabs open; Chrome only runs slightly better. Neither are what I'd call unwatchable or even bad, besides the abomination that is the presentation itself

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

Previously I was using a custom, dark themed style sheet for Something Awful that I'm pretty sure was installed via Stylish. It looked a lot like the first option listed here: https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=Something%20awful

But now all those links are dead
https://userstyles.org/styles/25614/
the period in the URL broke it; you can delete the slug (part after the numbers/) and load it and it'll work
lol @ a search page that gives broken links

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Latest Nvidia drivers show known issue:
[Firefox.exe]: Browser errors may occur or the browser may crash with NVIDIA drivers. [200301372]

so if you've been seeing weird behavior on Nvidia GPUs it should eventually be fixed with new drivers over the next few months or so

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Some Windows accessibility tools will disable multi-process: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re-enable-multi-process-disabled-windows-utilities
besides that just try forcing an enable

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://metafluff.com/2017/07/21/i-am-a-tab-hoarder/

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Why would anyone stop using it before 57

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

mike12345 posted:

you can access those with keywords
which are more complicated and also I've run into bugs with those (trying to change a keyword's URL and it just ignored it)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

oh cool firefox 55 is ou--

welp, back up your session first in case it gets wiped i guess lol

edit: it installed 55 again after the first update, combined with my session backup means it worked out fine
edit: but now it only reloads restored tabs if you switch to them, switch away, then switch back again
edit: with 6 content processes it feels great besides the garbage problem of above though, so there's that

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 8, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

That tool has no relevance for 57, so why would it be compatible?
ACR dates back to 2009, it's not for reporting if something works with 57+ but if something is broken after an update.
That said if an extension breaks between Firefox versions in the WebExtensions world it'll probably be obvious (and maybe purposeful due to API changes)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

isndl posted:

What's the best way of backing up and restoring my session in case the 55 update mucks it up?
go to about :support, open the profile folder, back up the sessionstore-backups folder
to restore, exit firefox and overwrite sessionstore.js with previous.js or recovery.js from that folder

it writes those on every save so ensure you back them up before upgrading firefox

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Firefox 55.0.1 is out. Supposedly fixes the session restore bug. (FF still doesn't load restored tabs until I either switch to them twice or manually refresh)

edit: Firefox 55.0.1 just wiped my session
edit: Looks like it only wipes my old session. So I just have to manually open all my tabs in FF 55.0.1 instead of restoring a backup. Cool, that's not inconvenient at all
edit: it wipes all but one tab every time I load Firefox. I guess it's time to start a new profile and see if it's still hosed
edit: Refresh seems to have fixed it, now I just need to re-add all my addons. So, uh, try this I guess if you have the same issue

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

I go to "about firefox" and it says i'm up to date despite being on 54.0.1, what gives
They might be delaying the update until 55.0.2 is out (monday or tuesday)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Pretty sure it happens if you start a search while a page is still loading or try to reuse a search box after navigating to a new page

Not entirely sure on the repro but if you delete one letter and retype it it should start working

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

axeil posted:

Is the Firefox SALR extension still being developed? The new forums update has screwed up how it renders the quick quote/post/reply buttons and search thread box.

I'd ask in the Firefox SALR thread but it's in the archives now.
It's not getting changed because SA is supposed to move to Xenforo Soon™ and that'd need a rewrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Anyone have a replacement for Cookie Keeper?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookiekeeper/
There's a few addons like it, it lets me whitelist specific cookies and delete all the rest.

edit: holy poo poo this tab bar looks like poo poo

that's my windows theme color but is there any way to tone it down on the tab bar? or make the tabs wider? doesn't help

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 14, 2017