Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pooperscooper posted:

How does one re-create a profile while keeping all boomarks and pass words? The only extension I have is Lastpass.

Easiest way is refresh firefox, which keeps bookmarks and passwords. You might want to back up your firefox profile first just in case.

Pooperscooper posted:

The only extension I have is Lastpass.

My dude if you add uBlock and start blocking ads, I assure you that Firefox will suddenly be leaps and bounds faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there still no tab grouping in firefox? Still no PWA support?

These are things that drove me back to chrome a couple of years ago because they are so vital to a modern browser and Firefox baffingly didn't support them. Anything changed now?

Firefox had tab groups for a while, years before chrome, but got rid of it. (They said their metrics were that very few people used it.)

There are a couple tab grouping extensions though. Simple tab groups is the most popular. It's not a slick as chrome's tab groups or vivaldi's tab stacking. But it does all the functionality you want.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Atopian posted:

Messing around setting up kubuntu and I'm finding that the true constants across OSs are people trying to avoid firefox updates and the devs making that as hard as humanly possible.

You'd think at some point they'd take a look at themselves and what they're doing and ask "why are so many people willing to spend so many hours trying to get us to Stop, to Just loving Stop?"

Seriously, I started learning about how to prevent this automatic update thing because of firefox, but when reading general/overview information articles and guides about it, they almost all used "prevent firefox updates" as their example, so everyone else is in on it too.

There are also a lot of people on the internet who don't want vaccines, but that sure as gently caress doesn't mean vaccines are bad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

FF does that? Got a link?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-suggest-faq I think?

But tabs still show up in the suggestions even if you've turned off all the enshittified sponsored / web result options.

It's just real bad at putting a tab with your text higher than history. If I do ctrl+t right now and type "reply", I get 9 results from history and not this tab here. And that's because, by and large, normal people don't use the keyboard to navigate UI. They switch tabs by clicking with the mouse.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I generally would prefer more stuff on the settings page, but for that one I'm with Mozilla. Changing the right-click menu is a web standard, disabling it will break the functionality of sites. Settings that break standards should be in the nerds-only zone.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

but no loving way am I trusting a backup of 999 tabs to some rando extension provider. Any ideas?

Right click tabs -> select all tabs -> bookmark tabs... -> enter today's date as folder name

Do this at whatever interval you feel is required to protect your precious tabs, while deleting old folders.

Optional: realize that bookmarks are a great way to save 999 things that you want to look at later, become enlightened.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I would guess more like the fast profile switcher that chrome and chromium-based browsers all have. Those you can switch profile without a full restart.

And I would assume no. If it was easy mozilla probably would have done it already, in their never-ending quest to chase chrome features whether good or bad. The much older underpinnings of firefox probably make this super difficult.

(But also, the normal reason to use multiple profiles on chromium browsers is to juggle accounts. Firefox has multi-account containers that are far better at the job.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Powered Descent posted:

I don't see what's so different about "switching profile" like that vs. just starting a new window with the other profile (either with the button in about :profiles or with the firefox -P command). You can then close the first window, or not, as you see fit.

Oh poo poo wait a minute, you can start a new window with profile #2 and the existing session with profile #1 is still going? I did not know that!

(Haven't used multiple profiles myself in forever, but that was not a thing you could do back then.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

[*]Containers are now available only with an extension, published and maintained by Firefox. Since I use containers every day, and Cookie Autodelete requires this function, I hope it's something that stays maintained and up to date.

The core functionality that the extension uses is in firefox, not the extension -- containerized cookies and storage is also what they use to do the 3rd party cookie isolation stuff. So I expect that the extension will stick around (and if Mozilla abandons it, should be easily taken over by community).

doctorfrog posted:

I know there's a lot of bellyaching about Mozilla and Firefox in this thread (it's basically what it's for), and though I don't love every change that Mozilla imposes on Firefox, it still rocks.

Certainly every new innovation from the Google sheep-shearing department makes Mozilla look a lot better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I can't vouch for that jdownloader one, but it's a legit thing for extensions that want to interface with an external program need to install extra stuff for that. The webextensions sandboxing makes it impossible for an extension to run something like "jdownloader.exe -dl filez.com/big.zip" directly.

For ex I use the extension open with that requires having python and installing a python script to set up.

tl;dr I think you're fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Malloc Voidstar posted:

JDownloader itself is legitimate so I don't see why its extension wouldn't be

The extension isn't made by the Jdownloader people. Can't trust that sort of thing, that's how they getcha.

(OTOH it seems perfectly fine, it's just a repack of an extension that can open / download links with arbitrary external programs.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freakazoid_ posted:

Even ublock origin was having issues earlier this month, but they seem to be back on top of it. Haven't seen an ad slip through since.

This isn't really ublock per se -- the heaviest lifting in terms of keeping poo poo like youtube constantly updated comes from third-party filter lists like EasyList & Adguard. And those are used by other adblockers too.

So if ublock isn't working on youtube and switching to a different adblocking extension fixed it, it was probably just because a freshly installed extension got fresh filters.

(Also ad-nauseum is just Ublock Origin plus a function that spoofs ad views / trackers.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a good addon for downloading video from random streaming video players?

Compared to yt-dlp, no.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NVB posted:

Did firefox push out 2 updates yesterday ( I live down under ).

Am i tripping but i swear FF pushed 2 updates yesterday 118.0.0 Then hours later 118.0.1

118 came out on the 26th, so you just didn't see it for whatever reason for 2 days.

And then yes there was a quick .0.1 patch for a security flaw. (For vp8 encoding, which chrome was also vulnerable to. So that was probably a case where google discovered their vp8 code was bad, and the timing for when it got fixed involved lots of working together so everything could update at once.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stare-Out posted:

Okay I can confirm that it's not on for Edge on this computer but videos in general seem to look better. Do the two have vastly different video rendering techniques or something? Like how they upscale for fullscreen maybe?

Did you disable hardware acceleration in Fifefox at some point in the past and have forgotten about it? Actually though, that shouldn't make a difference. Hard vs software video decode should look the same if both are working properly.

Does your screen do HDR? Firefox doesn't have HDR support, chrome/edge does. Even if you're watching a SDR video, edge might be "punching it up" for a HDR screen.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stare-Out posted:

so I'd have to guess it's a codec thing.

Ah right that's the other possibility, if this is on youtube you should check the "stats for nerds" and see if you're being served the same video codec on both browsers. You might be getting AV01 on edge and VP9 (or worse, H264) on Firefox. Youtube does poo poo like that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Peggotty posted:

Is there a way to access my Firefox bookmarks without being logged in to sync? Specifically I can't login on my work computer, but I'd still like to share links to/from my personal Firefox account. Is that possible?

Can you add extensions to firefox on your work machine? If yes, there are things like xbrowsersync that can sync bookmarks.

Or you could do something like store your FF profile on a USB stick, but that depends on work's USB policies.

If all those are no, I dunno, sign up for pinboard?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, but Google can just look at the source code to the ad blockers and detect them accordingly.

If it was that easy they'd have been doing it for the last decade.

If their method to detect ad blockers is running in javascript on the web page, we can just block it. Or, for a slightly more involved case, spoof the response so that the detection can't detect the ad blocker.

To fully block ad blockers, the only method is to track ad views and tie those to the accounts/computers/people who are watching youtube, then serve the ones who don't watch ads a different page than normal that can't see the video. This is totally possible but also very expensive to do at scale.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I haven't seen anything either. But I only watch 1 or 2 youtubes a day, maybe 3 at most. Are y'all who are getting blocked watching a lot more?

Also I have a housemate who allows ads, maybe google counts by IP address and they are saving me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wee posted:

How would I turn this grayed out box off?

Clicking on Learn More just goers to a placeholder page (just says Placeholder 1848710)

Firefox Nightly 120.0a1

You have the whole category turned off, so none of the sub-categories do anything.

If you want the aesthetic value of that box being unchecked, turn on the top box to make the rest interactive, turn that one off, then turn off the top one again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wee posted:

Yeah, I've tried that.

In that case it may be a new thing that's enabled on Nightly, and can't be disabled because they're bug testing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arc Hammer posted:

Am I going to have to purge all caches every single time now?

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ruflux posted:

This raises an important question of why the gently caress would you run a literal MITM extension in your browser?

Uh, what do you think Ublock is?

Extensions that block content work by MITM'ing everything your browser loads, whether malware or ads (lol same difference amiright)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

101 posted:

They're not exactly equivalent.

uBlock Origin is open source and Raymond Hill has proven himself by this point, I think.
Sold the original uBlock to AdBlock, they were lovely owners and started adding 'acceptable' ads, so he came back. Guy even refuses donations.

Eh, sure, but malwarebytes is also a company with a pretty good rep. They're not MITMing your traffic any more than Ublock is. (They might be doing data collection along the same lines that most other software companies do, but this isn't a security threat.)

Like, gorhill is a great guy and all but he's just one dude. He could go nuts, or sell off his extension -- he did it before!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

phosdex posted:

Yep got this now.

Klyith posted:

Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

quick fixes is where they're putting the constantly changing anti-adblock stuff

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quixzlizx posted:

Is it safe to delete the storage\archives folders in my profile? There's an archive folder taking up 250MB that looks like sites I haven't visited in months/years. Why is Firefox even bothering to "archive" it if it's still taking up space?

Should be.

Storage is where firefox puts websites' local storage -- like cookies in terms of websites storing user data, but much more robust. And just like cookies, more frequently abused than used for stuff you actually want.

I dunno why the "archives" folder though -- I don't have one of those, just: default permanent temporary & to-be-removed.

You can also do settings -> privacy & security -> cookies & site data -> clear or manage data to get rid of stuff. Alternately, Cookie Auto-Delete can do local storage as well as cookies and is one of my fav extensions, if you have the patience to set up a whitelist.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Digital Jedi posted:

I get a weird overlay issue when I right click on certain menus, fields etc.
It overlays on top of the site's menu that pops up

Do you have an extension to always show the context menu?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Echophonic posted:

Ok, dumb question that boils down to "get some discipline, you dingus."

Is there an add-on that will start a timer once I hit a URL and chime at me after a bit? I keep getting sucked into rabbit-holes of shortform junk on Youtube and Facebook and a little chirp every so often when I am would probably help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock-ng/ is a "every configuration option possible" type add-on, so will need a bit of setup, but it can do timers.

And IMO needing these types of timers aren't about a lack of discipline when the problem is about losing track of time. The self-discipline is listening to your reminders and doing the thing you know you need to do.

My personal experience is that I can get into major night-owl problems because evening is when I'm on, my concentration is a loving laser late at night. Lock-out stuff didn't work at all for me, because it always interrupted something and I needed 10 more minutes. Text-to-speech reminders of the time and that it is too drat late work pretty great, because I could build in a natural taper-off.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

e: my issue was with Windows, not blameless ol' Firefox.

Having seen the thing you edited out, check your event log for ShellExperienceHost or some other appx crap that's not working.

And if so, get ready for a fun time, and my sympathies. My recommendation would be to go straight to using a win10 installer usb stick to do an in-place upgrade, which is both good at fixing whatever problem makes appx go to poo poo with less disruption to your stuff than a Reset PC w/ Keep Files.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It's definitely not specifically targeting Firefox -- I use Vivaldi for youtube and was getting those delays the last 2 days. Not seeing it now.

The bit I really want to know is, did you still get that delay if you don't have adblock? I just tried looking at youtube with firefox both with and without ublock turned on, but didn't see the delay either way.

lol and lmao that google is resorting to something so brain-dead as loving around with user-agents.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

Chromium based browsers seem to get axed next summer, with forced ads due to removal of manifest v2. Alternatives seem to be:
- Vivaldi is the ideal browser.

Vivaldi is going to keep manifest v2 active in their codebase even after google disables it in chrome/chromium. (Opera and Brave will be joining them in this, so all 3 of the indie chromium browsers will be working together.)

The question will be, how much effort will it take to keep it working & undo google's changes? They don't know, because they don't know what google will be doing to the code. But they're gonna try.

IMO there are reasons to think they will be successful. The chromium codebase, from everything I've ever heard people say, is very organized and modular. I feel like google would have to go out of their way to sabotage things... which is something they very well might do, but not right away at least.

So if I used Vivaldi as my main browser, I would just sit tight and keep using it, while checking in occasionally to their blog to see how things are going.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I imagine that Brave will become a lot more popular next year as its built-in adblocker should be unaffected by manifest v3 as they don't even use that API for it.

Vivaldi also has an internal adblocker. I'm pretty sure the only difference is that vivaldi by default only has easylist turned on, which is the "less aggressive, don't break sites" list. You can make vivaldi equally effective as brave if you add good filters.

But if you are a skilled UBO user, there is no comparison. The problems with both brave and vivaldi compared to UBO:
* no script blocking
* the only per-site UI is "on or off"

Running aggressive filters means you get broken sites sometimes, and with UBO you can usually un-break them without having to totally disable blocking. 3rd party script blocking in UBO is amazing but even more fiddly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sometimes when I copy things elsewhere then try to paste into Firefox, it pastes the previous thing from my clipboard instead. One, how the hell does that even happen, but two, can that get fixed?

Only thing I can imagine would be a website that is using javascript to do some type of extra clipboard stuff. This could make a situation where copy paste works fine inside the site, but when copying from outside firefox it not updating the script clipboard.

Alternatively, do you have windows clipboard history and sync turned on?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

Is there a way to change the password generation rules on Firefox? The new passwords it generates are supremely awful.

No. Firefox is a bad password manager. They made a big hoopla a few years back about improving it and making Firefox Lockwise, and all they did was make a nicer UI. Lockwise lasted 2 years before they canned it.

Use a real password manager -- bitwarden is my recommendation for anyone who wants a free option. LastPass 1password if you are ok with yet another subscription.

edit: poo poo got that mixed up, astral is correct

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 9, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pershing posted:

Is the Firefox VPN worth a drat? Bought NordVPN back when Lowtax was hawking it and my subscription is about to run out.

If not, any VPNs people would recommend?

It's a partnership where all the actual VPN servers are through Mullvad, which is one of the Good Ones.

OTOH the Mozilla VPN service only works with their own client software package, and doesn't provide a standard wireguard connection that supports arbitrary clients. This only matters if you are king nerd, but that's a major limitation if you wanted to do something like have the VPN connection on your router to put your whole network behind it.

So, I dunno, it's kinda meh I guess? Moz is charging $5/mo if you go annual, which is cheaper than actual Mullvad. And Mullvad is extremely solid if you are hardcore :tinfoil: about online privacy and security. But they also are smaller than Nord or other services, with fewer servers. They don't churn IPs as fast as someone like Nord, which means they get blocked more by Netflix etc.

So if all you care about in a VPN is downloading :filez: and dodging region-locks on streaming services, I think you can get better deals.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I was thinking more about torrent and peer2peer stuff.

If you're talking about usenet or some private direct access or streaming site, I don't know why they'd block VPNs. But you also wouldn't need the VPN in the first place? If you're not doing P2P then the MPAA can't see what you're downloading.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Switching to ESR is fine, but it doesn't really solve any problems. You still get to experience the bad UI decisions, just a month or two later.

Anyway here's a thing to add to your userchrome.css file:
code:
/* urlbar white */
#urlbar-background {
    background-color: light-dark(rgba(255, 255, 255, 1), rgba(255, 255, 255, .5)) !important;
}
(That 1 and .5 are the numbers to play around with if you want to adjust this to your own liking: they're setting the opacity of the white. I actually picked .8 for myself to give it just a little fade. The first set is for light mode / theme, the second is for dark theme. And the .5 is a total guess on my part as I only use light theme.)

Another recent addition that I dislike is a fade out on text and site icons in the tab-titlebar when the window is deselected. If you don't like that either, here's the fix:
code:
/* don't fade out titlebar */
#titlebar:-moz-window-inactive
{
    opacity: 1 !important;
}

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/a-new-chapter-for-mozilla-laura-chambers-expanded-role/

Michell Baker is stepping down as Mozilla Corp CEO, but will stay as chairwoman. Another board member is stepping in as a temp CEO while they look for a permanent replacement.

Supposedly they will be "doubling down on our core products, like Firefox, and building out our capabilities and innovation pipeline to bring new compelling products to market." If google finally pushes the change to cripple adblock in chrome this year, maybe Firefox will have a moment?

I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but eh I guess this at least means they're not gonna go all-in on AI like they were talking about a little while ago. We'll see who they pick as the new permanent CEO.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

Offtopic, but isn't adblock already crippled on Chrome? I quickly helped out a friend getting ublock on their stuff, but very specifically chrome-on-android doesn't seem to support it. Which is, y'know, most of the user agents on the web apparently.

Chrome-on-android has *never* had extensions, so it's never had adblock.

You can do firefox for android (it's kinda slow), or use vivaldi or brave which have built-in adblocking ability.

The "chrome crippling adblock" is a thing that's coming to the desktop browser, which limits the amount of filters you can have and heavily neuters dynamic filters, which are the most powerful adblock method.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Head Bee Guy posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND signed into her university account on my firefox, and now whenever I try to sign into google, it automatically redirects to the university's mail sign in. I've tried removing any cookies or site data related to the uni, but it hasn't worked. Whenever I need to sign into my personal google account, I've just used a different privacy tab, but looking for a more permanent solution.

Clear all gmail / google cookies too?

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, unrelatedly, anyone notice that videodownloadhelper has gotten shittier? Now it downloads clips with a random string of numbers as the name instead of the video title, and it seems to support even fewer websites.

yt-dlp is the only good video downloader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Geemer posted:

Ctrl+Shift+T used to only reopen closed tabs from the current window.
But nowadays it also reopens closed windows and/or tabs in other windows, prioritizing those if they were closed more recently than the tabs in the current window.

Is there any way to get the old behavior back?

Apparently no, they changed firefox's tab restore to work exactly like chrome because too many chrome people were complaining.

(Mostly they were complaining that firefox couldn't restore closed tabs from a previous session. That also was added. There are about :config prefs to not store closed tabs & windows across sessions, but not one to do classic undo close tab like you want.)