Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Status-4-Evar also creates an add-on bar that you can add icons to. The latest version that works with FF29 isn't linked to the addon's main page, though, so you have to manually install it from the version list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Im_Special posted:

So whats the course of action then? Wait for the YouTube Center guy to update the addon (he is fixing it right?), or look for an alternative YouTube Center?
The developer version works fine for me:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

Does Firefox have something like the "recent tabs" feature of Chrome? I didn't think I used it much when I used Chrome, but once or twice a day I find myself wishing I could quickly open a tab that's open on another device.
I don't know if it is what you want, but the History menu has "Tabs From Other Devices" and "Recently Closed Tabs". I haven't used "Tabs From Other Devices" before, but it probably works if you have Firefox Sync enabled.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wheany posted:

I'm glad the RSS icon is back, but why? Did they bring it back "just because", or do I have it only because I disabled the RSS icon in url bar extension I was using (and disabling it enabled the built-in one).

I can't find the icon in the customize palette, so I'm not sure.
The Subscribe icon is in my customize palette under "Additional Tools and Features". I don't know if it is the same thing you are seeing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
According to the wiki page on Electrolysis, "By default, only one content process is used. You can control this with the dom.ipc.processCount preference." Maybe that is what you want? It sounds like it isn't the same as Chrome where it puts each tab in its own process, rather it just spins off the content stuff into its own process to avoid browser UI hangs.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Xander77 posted:

Cheers, I'm reasonably sure that worked. :)

Edit - Hmm, all the youtube links autoplay now. Guess that wasn't a greasemonkey plugin. Off to search for a... smart youtube addon or whatever that was called?

YouTube Center is a greasemonkey script for making YouTube better, but addon versions do exist. You either had the greasemonkey version or the addon version. You can find them here:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

I use the developer version. I don't know if the non-developer version works. Sometimes it breaks and it takes a bit to be fixed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Dark One posted:

The fresh profile was able to open the local PFDs without a hitch. Do any of these settings look out of place?

I don't have: plugin.state.nppdf, any of the extensions.dta stuff.
The only thing changed is that I have pdfjs.firstRun set to true.

In your Options/Applications, is your Portable Document Format (PDF) set to "Preview in Firefox"? Mine is.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lysidas posted:

Apparently in Firefox 33 there's new behavior on typing single-word hostnames into the address bar -- the default is now to search for that term and not to navigate to the address I explicitly entered, and to ask "did you mean to go to ..." instead.

I was about to ask if anyone knew how to globally disable this ridiculous bullshit, but it works to just completely disable searching from the address bar (which I should have done a while ago, but never really need to).

I know this is late, but according to this, if you click "Yes" on the dropdown, it will whitelist that single-word hostname for future lookups. That article even has an about :config option for controlling what domains are whitelisted.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thauros posted:

Has anyone else experienced issues with the HTML 5 YouTube player?

I'm on 34 (Beta Channel) and I had to switch back to Flash since I kept on receiving stuttering with the HTML 5 version. It used to work fine until recently, probably right around the time I upgraded to the current beta version. It still works fine on Chrome, and I'm having no issues with the Flash player on Firefox.

I had a problem where it would stop loading after I watched a bunch of videos. It might have stuttered too. I also switched back to the Flash version of YouTube. I use the YouTube Center Greasemonkey script, though, so I don't know if my problems were related to that or not.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Dark One posted:

I just updated to 33.0.3 and if I go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/ and scroll down to their animated graphs, it freezes up. Anyone else see this behaviour?

Happens for me too. You have to scroll immediately, though. If you let the animations load and play as you scroll, it won't lock up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Same with me. Status-4-Evar 2014.07.06.05

Go into Customize and make sure "Status Text" is in your status bar.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'd read somewhere that they were going to do that. At least you have the option to fix it. gently caress Yahoo.

I upgraded to 34, but Flashblock didn't work, so I went back to 33.1.1.

An update to Flashblock was released, but from what I hear it can sometimes act a little wonky when e10s is enabled.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm on Firefox 34 using Flashblock 1.5.18 and I haven't had any issues. I've seen some sites that overlay something over the flash video that prevents you from clicking on it, though. I have the Nuke Anything Enhanced addon so removing those overlays eventually lets me click on it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Generic Monk posted:

Anyone got any recommendations what the best youtube extension is that enforces playing the highest res video possible, allows player size customization etc? Currently using 'Youtube High Definition' which is OK but causes a weird flickering refresh of the video when the page first loads which I'm not a fan of. Also is there any way to duplicate the behaviour chrome has where you can drag images/links from the browser onto the desktop/explorer and they'll just seamlessly save? Finally got firefox working properly (bizarrely the nightly builds are orders of magnitude more stable and way less problematic than the stable version for me, I have no idea why) but I do miss some of chrome's usability features.

Userscript is the Greasemonkey version. A standalone .xpi file for Firefox also exists. If you do use it, I really recommend staying on the developer version. Google is known to break stuff often enough that the "stable" versions can be broken for a while. I'm not sure if that has changed any.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been using uBlock in Firefox since the first test was released in the bugtracker and I haven't had any issues at all. In fact, its much better at handling popups than ABP has been for me. It just works and I am fine with that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've noticed that the more videos I play and the longer they are results in Firefox's HTML5 video performance degrading further and further. It is only fixed by a browser restart for me. I've actually set YouTube Center to force Flash videos because of the issue.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Has anybody been noticing image download problems in Firefox 36? I am getting a lot of incomplete and mangled image downloads after upgrading. Browsing a thread with lots of images really makes it apparent as only half the image will load. Often times user avatars won't load while paging through threads and whatnot. I couldn't find any information on it, so I thought I would check and see if it was just me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

Recently (maybe since the last stable-channel update? not entirely sure) I've been seeing this kind of image corruption if Firefox has been open for a while or I open a lot (>~10) tabs at once:

Any ideas what's going on?

I have the same issue. I have no idea why it happens or how to fix it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My Firefox memory usage also increases and starts to stutter when scrolling pages. I have to restart it every once in a while to refresh it. Combined with the black image bug, I'm almost tempted to install the ESR release if I am going to have to wait 2 or 3 versions for this crap to be fixed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Have you tried using a standard IM client, or do you need the video conferencing stuff? I really feel your pain, though. The normal hangouts client is so terrible and the conferencing features are so good.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nexus6 posted:

Not tried an IM client, which are compatible with hangouts? I thought Pidgin was for a while then support ended or something.

Also, in Chrome dev tools when you add CSS rules there is a stylesheet called 'inspector stylesheet' in the sources tab where you can view all the CSS you have added via the inspector.

Is there similar functionality in Firefox? I can add CSS rules via the inspector but I have to copy/paste each one individually rather than view them all at once.

I would say most IM clients still support the Google Talk protocol. I use Miranda NG and I can text chat with all my Hangouts friends.

For your second question, I don't know if that is possible with the built-in tools, but have you tried Firebug?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think his point was that the other guy wasn't actually doing anything, just taking changes made by other people and repackaging them so it looks like he wrote it, then collecting all the donation money for his hard work.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
uBlock doesn't support the document specifier in ABP filter syntax. Are your custom filters using that?

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/Filter-syntax-extensions

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

xamphear posted:

If I search for something on Amazon, and then ctrl-click to open up 3 product description pages in the background, then click in the address bar to type in a fresh URL, the browser chugs so hard that I can type out half the address before it catches up and even shows what I've been typing.

I once opened 10 Amazon pages at once. Firefox has never forgiven me for that one mistake. Amazon just does something horrible to Firefox.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nintendo Kid posted:

APNG actually got implemented by something popular ever (firefox). What ever implemented MNG?

Ironically, Firefox did, for a time. Then they removed it because it added a couple hundred KB to the filesize of Firefox or something like that.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

hooah posted:

For some reason, I can't get YouTube Center to apply any settings to embedded videos, SA included. It seems to work fine on the site itself, however.

Something probably broke. I noticed that HTML5 video doesn't get resized properly anymore so Google most likely made yet some more breaking changes that haven't been fixed in YTC yet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I can see the buttons just fine on the new YouTube player. Do you have any addons installed like Youtube Center?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So, there is apparently a bug with Firefox 40 and the latest NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10. Mozilla has blacklisted the driver and disabled Direct2D/DirectWrite in Firefox. If things are a tearing, jittery mess, and things don't look right, check your about:support to see if hardware acceleration was disabled.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Marinmo posted:

Turns out you're in luck; unlike Mozilla, Nvidia apparently isn't total poo poo and released a new driver today. Get it here (Win10 64bit, from UK), install, restart firefox, go to about :config and set gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to true, restart firefox again and things should be back to normal.

Edit: This also fixes the black-google maps-problem which some users (including me) had.

Be aware that this driver isn't "fixed". If you enable layers acceleration, Firefox 40 will break.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Nah, it will still break Firefox horribly if you force enable the graphics features. I tried it and the UI stopped painting properly. There must be something else that needs to be enabled. But hopefully it will work correctly when they remove the block.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The blacklist on the latest NVIDIA drivers have been removed. It will automatically download the new blacklist tomorrow, or, if you are impatient, you can force an update:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/Testing#Forcing_a_Blocklist_Ping

1) Press F12 to open the web dev console.
2) Click the gear on the top-right.
3) Under Advanced Settings, check the "Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes" setting.
4) Close the web dev console and press CTRL+SHIFT+J
5) In the new window, paste this in and press enter:
code:
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/extensions/blocklist;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsITimerCallback).notify(null);
6) Restart Firefox

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The hardware vsync stuff they did in Firefox 40 has dramatically increased the perception of how smooth the browser is. I am liking it very much. Scrolling is smooth and doesn't tear anymore. I dare say it feels as fast as Chrome does at this point.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nnnotime posted:

Just coming in to check on any issues with 40, since I auto-updated yesterday (on Windows 8.1, to version 40.0.2) and had terrible lag on many pages, especially pages with animations (like these forums). I have an Nvidia GTX 780 but not the latest drivers, as everything has been stable with my gaming apps since the last graphic drivers upgrade (running Nvidia driver version 377.48).

I downgraded to FF 39 an hour ago and things are back to normal. I guess I'll wait to upgrade FF again when Nvidia and Mozilla are back in sync?

It's already been fixed. They removed the driver from the blacklist. If your blacklist isn't updating, you can follow the instructions I wrote on the last page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=448946874&forumid=22

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nnnotime posted:

FYI, the order of instructions you listed does not match those on the Mozilla page you linked. Step 6 is supposed to occur after step 3.

Also, when I tried this and pasted the code into the console, the console response was "undefined", so I assume that means the command from Mozilla is incorrect. And then I still noticed the same behavior with 40.0.2 I had before.

I will go back to 38.2.0 for now. This has to be a pain for the average non-techie person running Firefox, unless they get some technical help.

I didn't restart Firefox after doing step 3 and it worked fine for me. You will know it worked when the about :support page has "Direct2D Enabled" set to "true".

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Alec Eiffel posted:

This may be the wrong place, but since uBlock Origin is in the thread title, I thought I'd ask. I whitelisted a website, but its ad displays still do not show up. Is it a uBlock Origin issue or a Firefox issue? Does whitelisting https://www.motherjones.com (for example) not whitelist the ads for the site because they're not hosted at that domain?

Do you possibly have privacy.trackingprotection.enabled set to true in your about :config? I've noticed that most of the ads on that page don't load if it gets stuck loading some of the tracking stuff.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Live Bookmarks are why I don't use Chrome. They have become such a huge part of my browsing habits by now and I haven't found anything on Chrome that matches the ease of use.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Freakazoid_ posted:

Two things:

Firefox seems to have trouble loading gifs sometimes on these forums since 43.0.4. Weather it's one gif or a few, the page will freeze as I'm scrolling, sometimes for just a second or for half a minute, before returning to normal.

Second, now that SA embeds webms, I'd like more control over webm operation. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of add-ons for that. At the least I want webms to start at half volume instead of full.

I have definitely noticed that freezing. I've seen comments that it is fixed in nightly, so you'll have to wait until Firefox 45. It still occurs for me in Firefox 44 beta.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sick trigger posted:

i also was experiencing this but it seems to have stopped happening as of a couple of days ago? i'm on 43.0.4, can't think of anything I did that might have fixed it though

The longer you leave a tab open, the longer the delay will be once you scroll down to the gif. If you are reading your opened tabs right away, you won't notice it. However, if you are somebody like me who might open 10 tabs, read a couple, then read the rest an hour or two later, you'll have to deal with Firefox locking up on you for periods of time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

mike12345 posted:

The "choking on page full of gifs & multimedia" is annoying. But I never know if it's one of my plugins or not, so...

Nah, it's just Firefox. It has lots of problems dealing with gifs and multimedia in general. Like, Firefox rendering speeds bottoming out if there is a tab open with an animated favicon. Or the long freezes if you leave a tab open with a large gif running. Multi-process (E10s) hides most of these problems, though, so Mozilla might just be delaying as long as possible so they don't have to bother with a bunch of these problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If it is a font issue, do you perhaps have uBlock installed? There is an option in uBlock to block remote fonts.