Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LethalGeek posted:

What's the recommended addon people use to get a download button on youtube? The one I had broke with the latest update

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (Dev Edt.) is really good, and it can even do audio extraction and post-processing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there a spreadsheet where I can get a list of WebExtension alternatives or something? I've got about 5 addons I'm going to need to replace:

TinyTinyRSS Ping
SALR
Imagus
HTTPS Everywhere
Decentraleyes

If anyone has alternatives, I'm all ears, too.

You can get the webextension version of HTTPS Everywhere from here, though it's still in development.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This popped up on my RSS feed

https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

Which is an addon that's kinda like Adblock but it specifically blocks buttcoin miners in your browser.

I am speechless because I can't believe that this is actually a thing that is needed but apparently this is the world we live in now. Pirate Bay is an example of a website serving up such mining scripts, and if they are/can do it then I assume that all the shady poo poo tier advertisement networks are doing it too.

I'm posting this here because I wanted to ask if Firefox knows about this and whether or not they are doing anything to prevent it or am I going to have to start installing mining blockers from now on? The idea that I can visit a website and unknowingly burn up my battery to help someone mine 0.00000001 cents worth of magical internet money is just so dumb.

It's taken a little while, but this add-on has finally been ported to Firefox.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

No. 9 posted:

There's a No Coin extension or something similarly named that blocks all these.

There is, and everyone should get it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

[*]Youtube download video extension: I'd like to keep this, but the replacement Firefox suggested looks sketchy as a gently caress from the description and especially review pages.[/list]

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (WebEx) works very well and isn't sketchy in the slightest.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't think I've seen it posted in the thread, but Tree Style Tab was rewritten to work on Firefox 57+ a while ago

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If anyone is looking for a browser extension that does essentially the same thing as youtube-dl for YouTube then YouTube Video and Audio Downloader (WebEx) is what you're looking for. I would use youtube-dl otherwise but having something with the same functionality that works in Firefox itself is too useful to pass up.

Granted it's only built to work on YouTube but that's about all that I'd need a video downloader for anyway.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Youtube has started to play up for me recently. I can play videos no problem, but the frame on the left hand side where all my subscriptions are will no longer scroll, so most of my subs are out of reach. The rest of the page scrolls down fine, just not the bit on the left.

I restarted in safe mode. Same thing.

I started Firefox with a new profile. Same thing.

Chrome and Edge run youtube fine.

I'm on the 64bit Firefox 52.7.3 ESR, but it started doing this in the previous version, too.

I'm not sure about ESR, but it can be fixed on 57+ by installing Stylish and then this custom script that adds the feature back.

You can apparently browse the most recent uploads from your subscriptions by going here, but it's not even close to being a replacement in any way. I kinda suspect that Google is trying something here to see how many people just give up and go to Chrome in the time it takes for this "problem" to be fixed.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 28, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy poo poo - for once it's not just me!

Yeah, just clicking "subscriptions" is poo poo because it automatically clears all your subscriptions, too. Some I like to save until they have a bunch of new content (or ignore if it's work stuff) so having all my subs cleared is annoying.

Youtube's interface is just trash.

Thanks a million for the Stylish link.

No problem. From what I could find Google has said that this is a bug that they were working on fixing but the fact that the script itself is so tiny for what it does shows that the functionality is still there but is being deliberately held back. Google is loving terrible.

Really, really loving terrible. There's an add-on to block block bitcoin miners but it doesn't seem to be updated fast enough to stop the big ones. I recommend supplementing it with adblock filters like these, although it's recommended to also install the uBlock Origin-specific filter provided.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 28, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: wrong thread

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

RSS feeds and Live Bookmarks are getting the heave-ho in 62 or 63. Gutted. Any extensions picking up the slack?

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/07/25/mozilla-plans-to-remove-rss-feed-reader-and-live-bookmarks-support-from-firefox/

quote:

Mozilla is working on alternatives such as Pocket or Reader Mode, and on improving WebExtensions which could provide features related to RSS/Atom feeds without the toll on maintenance.

What can we use to replace this feature that we claim only 0.1% of our users make use of? A feature that no one wants or uses!

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 28, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: nevermind

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 31, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get Firefox to embed Twitter tweets in posts? It just shows up as a link for me.

edit: beaten

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fangs404 posted:

What YouTube extension(s) are you guys using these days? I've been using YouTube High Definition for a long time now, which I love because it's simple and does exactly what I need (auto-HD, auto-expand video area, etc.), but it hasn't been updated in about a year and occasionally acts funky due to YT layout changes. I'm worried it's been abandoned or something happened to the dev, so I'd like to find a replacement.

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader is probably the best extension of its type if you download a lot of videos and/or convert them into different formats.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Abandoning Gecko for Blink means Mozilla would have to abandon Rust as well, and I can't see them leaving behind their seemingly long-term goal of writing the entire thing in Rust.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: nevermind

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lambert posted:

The craziest Firefox default no other browser has is the annoying fullscreen video fade-in and fade-out animation that I always disable immediately.

What's the config to disable that?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seems like this is the perfect time to bring back KHTML

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xamphear posted:

KHTML is what turned into WebKit...

I know, they should go back to square one and try again

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

dud root posted:

Any recommendations for a Youtube downloader extension? I've tried a couple but they dont do 1080p

I'm partial to YouTube Video and Audio Downloader, which can do 1080p. The instructions don't tell you this exactly but after it downloads ffmpeg you need to point it to the exact location of the exe file, otherwise it will download the video and audio separately.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

All of my themes are being updated but I can't find any release notes as to why, did Mozilla change something on the back-end?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xamphear posted:

Firefox 68 got a new about :addons page, and it includes this at the bottom:

Any ideas how to turn it off? I have "Recommend extensions as you browse" unchecked, and I've tried toggling "extensions.htmlaboutaddons.discover.enabled" which had no effect.

Go into about :config and toggle extensions.htmlaboutaddons.recommendations.enabled to false

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wow, unless I'm wrong that was one of the big add-ons that wasn't going to be ported/rewritten to be a webextension so it's pretty insane to see that it actually happened. What are the other big add-ons left that haven't been brought over yet?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nth Doctor posted:

Android firefox can run themes.
Source: A theme I published got popular for no apparent reason, with no effort made to publicize it.

I'm the AIX user at <1%

edit: Holy poo poo, this might actually be real

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 16, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Speaking of security extensions, is it still worth it to use HTTPS Everywhere or does Firefox default to using HTTPS whenever possible?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MikusR posted:

According to awesomebar redesign related bugzilla bug (marked as wontfix), Mozilla has something called "ux experts"
By ux they probably mean:
  • Ux or ux, a digraph representing Ŭ or ŭ in the X-system scheme for transliterating Esperanto into ASCII

That explains their Esperanto localization

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone else been having the problem where firefox nightly randomly corrupts its own profile every three or four days? I have no idea if my update settings (automatically install updates using a background service) are causing something to go wrong and corrupt everything or if this is just the intended nightly experience. Assuming that I'm loving something up here, how do I fix it?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

loving yikes, at this point they should just spin off the non-business parts of Mozilla into something similar to The Document Foundation. There's no way the community could possibly gently caress this up any worse than Mozilla already has.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lol they're totally switching to blink, firing the rust team is taking away one of the only technical advantages they had over chrome

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rust is getting its own foundation so that it won't be destroyed by Mozilla being Mozilla

https://blog.rust-lang.org/2020/08/18/laying-the-foundation-for-rusts-future.html

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Merkinman posted:

You misogynists just don't like her because she's a woman. You're always against any woman in tech. Marissa Mayer, Elizabeth Holmes, you'll find anything wrong when there is a woman in charge.

Source your quotes

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Does anyone know how to turn off the translucent toolbar overlay in 89? It lights up every theme I have and ruins most of them aside from the default themes (which is likely intentional)

I've turned off proton in about:config and while this unfucks most of the ui problems it doesn't fix this

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neophyte posted:

Well, not only did 91.0 remove the ability to disable the lovely Proton UI, but now in my settings none of the checkboxes show a check or not.

The gray box is what I see briefly when I click on a checkbox, then it's blank again.

EDIT: Well, I found out that it's due to the browser.proton.enabled switch in about :config I (and a lot of others) set to false back a while ago so I could keep the old UI elements for a bit. Apparently the new version ignores that, but doesn't REMOVE it, and it somehow fucks up the setting UI if it's kept on. If you set it back the true and reboot FF it works again. Just FYI to anyone else.

That was a fun thing to discover when I was checking my preferences during my migration to waterfox earlier today. I had to make some guesses because I didn't know what the gently caress was going on and I'm not about to start firefox again to check. I was a user of firefox since 2008 and was largely apathetic to every downgrade they've made but proton is too much, holy gently caress the ui is awful and for whatever reason it messes up the only theme I use by adding a visible bar that's above an annoying barely-translucent foreground that I can't remove

I saw a post on reddit a while ago saying that mozilla hasn't added any new browser customization features in years, they've only taken them away. I've been a huge firefox apologist for over a decade but gently caress this, waterfox or nothing

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2021

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Moving from Firefox to Waterfox is one of the best computer decisions I've made in a while. It's a better-looking, more customizable Firefox that feels as fast as Chrome and hasn't died under a pile of bad decisions

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

101 posted:

For some reason I always get Waterfox and Pale Moon mixed up

Coincidentally Waterfox does have a version of the browser that's basically their Pale Moon, Waterfox Classic, if anyone REALLY still needs to use XUL add-ons and blacklisted plugins

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Geemer posted:

I hate every single thing I read about the new download flow for 98.
Given the pattern of all the previous terrible changes being tacked on poo poo, is there a single about :config thing I can flip to (pre-emptively) undo it?

No, it's spread across several parts. You can remove one of the most annoying elements by setting browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel to false so it doesn't always show the download panel when something's finished

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There was an update today

quote:

Yandex and Mail.ru have been removed as optional search providers in the drop-down search menu in Firefox.

If you previously installed a customized version of Firefox with Yandex or Mail.ru, offered through partner distribution channels, this release removes those customizations, including add-ons and default bookmarks. Where applicable, your browser will revert back to default settings, as offered by Mozilla. All other releases of Firefox remain unaffected by the change.

Lol

Lmao

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Knormal posted:

Is the extension manager icon in the toolbar I can't remove there for everyone, or is stuck there because of something to do with my CSS tweaks? I don't see why I'd need a permanent button for that, that's not a setting I go to a lot.

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I've been enjoying the translation tool that was recently added, if the ai's anything like that it could be okay