Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MachinTrucChose posted:

I updated to FF4, really hated it (I don't like it when the interface changes for no positive reason), and moved to Opera. Been using it for about 6 weeks. Good browser, but it's just not as good in terms of extensions.

Thats funny because the Firefox 4 and Opera UIs are pretty much identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

My forward and back buttons are hosed. Often I'll hit back and it'll do nothing - I have to press it a second time for anything to happen. Then when it does go back, it greys out the forward button so I can't go forward back to the newest page.

If I press it once and it doesn't go back, the forward button ungreys but pressing it seems to only refresh the page newest page, which I never left. I don't even know this poo poo's bonkers.

Its something to do with ads.

With Adblock Plus switched off I see that behaviour, with it on everything works smoothly

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The problem is probably tied up with your profile anyway - its worth creating another one and seeing if the current version can behave itself before resorting to rolling back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobn posted:

Does youtube do fullscreen video yet in html5? That and the video freezing while the audio continued every 15 seconds made me turn it off finally.

Its always done fullscreen if you have the browser window full screened. Its a bit inconvenient pushing F11 all the time but it does work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

IE's antialiasing method is identical to system antialiasing, if you don't mind how it looks in IE I can't fathom why you have ClearType turned off. Chrome's method is also very close to standard ClearType.

No it isn't at least not on Windows 8.

On 8 and beyond IE uses a greyscale only smoother not proper ClearType. This makes IE eye-bleeding bad on lowish DPI monitors - completely unusable for anything with small text.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Windows 8 doesn't use subpixel antialiasing at all -- they couldn't figure out how to make it work when you rotate your tablet.

That isn't quite true either (at least on my laptop)
- IE content = greyscale
- IE toolbars/menus etc = subpixel smoothed
- All of metro = greyscale
- All of the desktop (Windows explorer etc) = subpixel
- Some parts of Office 2013 are greyscale, others old style subpixel ClearType

The overall effect is it looks like an inconsistent, broken, unfinished mess :/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Spek posted:

On Windows 8 turning off "Smooth the edges of screen fonts" and Cleartype actually gets rid of font smoothing almost everywhere other then the Metro stuff.

That isn't true either - IE still stubbornly uses greyscale only smoothing

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

zachol posted:

... the lack of that at this stage doesn't feel like a good enough excuse to break away from the system UI (yet).

What system UI are you talking about?

IE hasn't show the menu bar by default for a very long time now, Windows Explorer hasn't had one since XP, Office ditched it back when 2007 came out, even Paint and WordPad are now using ribbons.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

zachol posted:

Really low-level stuff like window borders, the minimize/clise buttons, the scroll bar, and the context menu.
Like even if new Microsoft programs have gotten rid of the menu bar, they still use system borders, aero in 7, that stuff.

Chrome uses the system borders, minimise/close buttons and and Aero too. Chrome's scroll bar is different to the standard Windows one, but it's actually closer than IEs current implementation.

MS apps on the other hand are actually less consistent - Office and Visual Studio don't use any standard controls, not even the system minimise/close buttons

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

So Firefox went from not even warning about sites with weak DH keys in 38 to outright blocking them in 39.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The blocking was only temporary - of you install the current version it'll work fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

[quote="“Backyarr”" post="“475218198”"]
This sounds just about right for the new Mozilla. I really don’t get what happened to turn the project from a power-user’s dream to today’s pitiful state. And they just keep making GBS threads on the users that made the browser wildly popular (once upon a time at least) with every new decision :(

[/quote]

It hasn’t been wildly popular since the days when it was a faster and lighter weight alternative to IE. In fact I’d say Firefox is in the position it’s is now in no small part due to bloating out and appealing to ‘power users’

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s too late for them to change tack and become more Chromelike (because they lost their normal users to Chrome and Safari years ago) but I can see where they’re coming from.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Do they really look at their plummeting userbase, read posts like this, and then say "everythings fine, we are smart and good at designing things!"?

Eh, their userbase was mostly gone way before any of these recent changes. If anything I'd say it's too little too late.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FRINGE posted:

They need to fire the collection of Apple-brained idiots pushing their "UI vision" on actual users.

I expect to see Edge climb like crazy as normal users submit to "its just there and works alright" in Win 10.

Firefox destroyed their only selling point.

Eh I’d argue pretty much the opposite - the reason the slide started in the first place was Mozilla was dead set on catering to 101 different edge cases at the expense of producing a product with actual broad appeal.

Now I do agree it’s probably too late to start making these changes (and producing an actual competitive product for the masses) but it’s more a case of too little too late than anything else.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Milkman posted:

They really should have put out a new ESR first to hold over the “power users.” That’s a legitimate gripe.

Yeah. Also breaking profiles between the last ESR and 56 was ill-advised.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I’d left 57 running in the background for a few days on my work desktop - and found it’d blown out to using 2GB of RAM, ~100MB/s disk and was pretty much maxing out one core.

Funny thing is it only had a couple of intranet sites loaded so there definitely wasn’t any bad ads or mining stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

Intranet sites are basically walls of stuff that may have stuck or may have simply come to rest against the wall upon the pile of things that didn't stick. I mean you're right, if your company wanted to use idle cycles for cryptomining they'd install a service on the standard image, but being on an intranet doesn't absolve a Web site of poo poo.

Nah it’s an extremely simple site without any sort of long running scripts and the problem doesn’t occur in any other browser.