Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know how, but somehow you can still access RSS feeds for individual channels (despite the company deliberately breaking subscription RSS feeds).

That way you can decide what happens when someone you're interested in following uploads something; plenty of RSS readers still exist, and there's also options like throwing the RSS feed at flexget and using yt-dlp to download the files automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Atopian posted:

Or someone who still works there still likes having it functional.
This is my guess too, because it's not the kind of thing that automatically stays working, I'd imagine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

~Coxy posted:

I can believe that there are individual employees who are Good Guys but it didn't save Google Reader.
I hope the one person who (secretly?) maintains RSS feeds on YouTube channels keeps their job.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I originally figured I did but nope. After some more googling, I had
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled set to false. Guess that allowed it to open anytime
Shift-click does the same as setting dom.event.contextmenu.enable, in case you want the feature sometimes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

slidebite posted:

I never thought of copy/pasting into a private window. It's so obvious, but I am oblivious lol

What does the shift-click update now do versus just doing it without a shift?
Covered earlier in the thread when I asked about it, and I later found out exactly how it works: it invalidates the in-memory cache of the list that Firefox might have.

Obviously it does nothing if you, like me, have disabled Firefox's memory caching and instead use file caching because your filesystem has a much better caching implementation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Quick question, when Firefox (Windows) updates it opens a new tab to tell me about Firefox stuff. Is there any way to prevent this?
Set browser.aboutwelcome.enabled to false in about :config.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions-(FAQ)#filtering-capabilities-which-cant-be-ported-to-mv3
give it a month or so after MV2 gets disabled and i'm sure some adtech company will find something in here that makes their ads impossible/extremely inconvenient to block
Google, the worlds biggest adtech company, will be the first company to exploit this - they're deliberately killing WebRequests to be able to have their adtech work better.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I have a login site with my login name and password saved, but the autofill only let's me fill in my password, not my login name. Is there any way to fix this?
Do be aware that any autofill (including the one in Firefox) can be exploited to leak your username and password.

I recommend everyone disable autofill and make sure to set a primary password (as this also encrypts the files on-disk when Firefox isn't open).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

It's a partnership where all the actual VPN servers are through Mullvad, which is one of the Good Ones.
I'm not into paying for a specific VPN service, because I can set up IPsec on a FreeBSD VPN in as much time as it takes to go through a payment process

However, I'll give credit where it's due:
Mullvad has done things right, and will even take completely anonymous paper money sent through the mail, if you care about privacy that much.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

just a month or two later.
Also known as when other people have had plenty of time to figure out how to solve the issues that Mozilla introduce? :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you wanna look up the technical details of the Chromium-based browsers losing the ability to effective adblock, it's that Manifest V3 for WebExtensions in Chromium-based browsers is removing/blocking WebRequests.
WebRequests are the API that's the killer feature that uBlock Origin takes advantage of to apply both network-level blocks and DOM element filters on a per-domain basis.
Without it, it's very hard to do effective blocking of certain kinds of ads - which, of course, is why Alphabet is forcing it to be removed.
The majority of their income is from Google AdSense - with most of everything they do being a way to herd people towards being products for them to sell to other companies.

Firefox, being one of the few alternative engines to Chromium, is well-situated to try and differentiate itself - whereas companies that use Chromium for a product (see: Microsoft Edge, Brave, and Vivaldi) will have to either decide to work together or each come up with their own (incompatible?) ways to re-implement WebRequests.
Apples Safari will presumably be fine too, but I've no clue what they're up to (since my 2012 Macbook Pro doesn't get software updates, despite still working just fine).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm sticking with the ESR version of Firefox for the foreseeable future.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Back before XUL got deprecated, I had an addon that saved a copy of bookmarks as a single file on the disk - which was rather nice, as even then link-rot was a phenomenon.

I'd completely forgotten about this, until a few minutes ago when I randomly remembered, and found this - which, if configured properly, does the same.
Better yet, this can save to a WebDAV server, which I don't think the old extension could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I posted this earlier, but think it's worth mentioning again:
SingleFile will let you configure the add-on to save a copy of a webpage as a single file when you bookmark it, and optionally it can also rewrite bookmarks to point to that file if it's hosted on WebDAV or web-accessible object storage with the original URI saved in the meta-data.

I no longer have too many tabs, just a bunch of old bookmarks that I'm slowly working my way through.