Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Firefox 58: The last week or so I've had trouble with pages being frozen or replaced with a spinner, when I switch to their tab. It takes a good while (10+ seconds) for it to fix itself, but I don't see any particular CPU usage during that time. I only remember seeing it on SA, but haven't tested in detail. I haven't tested with SALR Redux disabled yet.
It looks like some new feature that's supposed to make tab loading block less or something, but is there a way to disable that for testing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Probably an effect of Unicode normalization by some software involved in publishing the article, converting the usual single-codepoint "å" to a plain "a" and a "combining ring above" character. And the font used has a bug with that "combining ring above" character.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Version 66.0.4 has been released and the only item on the changelog is a fix for the certificate problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

c0burn posted:

Address bar searching sucks when it thinks it's a URL.

I've turned off all implicit searching from my URL bar, it's never a thing I want. Either I enter a full, valid URL, and that's exactly the URL I mean, I enter a fully qualified domain name and I mean to visit exactly that domain, or I enter a defined keyword. (Or I use the type-to-find in history and bookmarks and select something from the dropdown.) Search bar for submitting a search, URL bar for loading URLs.

I think the about :config settings to disabled for it are:
keyword.enabled
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled

I also disable browser.urlbar.autoFill so hitting Enter accidentally doesn't go to something semi-random from my history.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

I've turned off all implicit searching from my URL bar, it's never a thing I want. Either I enter a full, valid URL, and that's exactly the URL I mean, I enter a fully qualified domain name and I mean to visit exactly that domain, or I enter a defined keyword. (Or I use the type-to-find in history and bookmarks and select something from the dropdown.) Search bar for submitting a search, URL bar for loading URLs.

keyword.enabled

I also disable browser.urlbar.autoFill so hitting Enter accidentally doesn't go to something semi-random from my history.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Change these settings?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

How do I prevent Firefox from trying to find a website to match the search term I type in the address bar? For example, I put in "bobfish" and it took me to the website of some car dealership in West Bend somewhere that I'd never visited before. I wanted to do a Google search instead. I have the setting to use the address bar for search and navigation. It wasn't doing this until recently.

Check my post history.

nielsm posted:

keyword.enabled

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A normal system-wide install of Firefox will register it in the App Paths key in registry. I believe that means you can just use "start firefox.exe -Profile ..." in your batch file, and it will look up the path to the unqualified name. You have to use the "start" command for that to work.

If you want to check if it's installed, you can do something like this:
code:
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\firefox.exe" > NUL
if errorlevel 1 goto notinstalled
start firefox.exe -Profile "%~dp0profile2"
goto :EOF
:notinstalled
echo No Firefox here
pause

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems there is a separate in-memory storage for just the renderer. I think that's always a decoded/lossless format, except it might be scaled down if the original source is much larger resolution than the displayed. In other words, not the original file, which is what you want to download.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have you changed your Windows color scheme?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keepass works by storing your passwords in an encrypted database file. The database is only decrypted when you unlock it with your master password, and when you lock it again (it automatically does that after an inactivity timeout) the application makes sure to clear the memory that was occupied by the decypted passwords.
This means the possible attack vectors are capturing a copy of your password database plus master password, or compromising your system with software that can steal decypted passwords out of memory while the database is unlocked, or remote unprivileged attacks using Spectre/Meltdown/related vulnerabilities to steal decrypted passwords out of memory. The latter can be executed by Javascript/WebASM on pages you visit, depending on installed mitigations. If you use a browser plugin you also get additional possible attack vectors through that.

The primary advantage of a password manager is making it easier to use unique passwords on every service that requires one, so when one service is compromised, your accounts on other services are unaffected. The disadvantage is if a determined attacker compromises your password database, all your accounts are compromised, except those with proper 2FA.

Yes it's a risk if someone breaks into your device. If you let them do that, they could just as well install a keylogger and capture the passwords you type on the keyboard.
Monopoly/lock-in is not a risk with Keepass at least, since it's free/open software and the data is stored in a file under your control, not on a cloud service (unless you put it there yourself.)

I use Keepass, store my password database on OneDrive, synced between my desktop and my phone. My master password is 30+ characters, which I can type in a few seconds. I don't use a browser plugin, but rather copy-paste the passwords from the application when I need them. If I need a password while at work or somewhere else I don't have Keepass installed on the computer, I look it up on my phone, have it show the password on screen, and type it manually.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jink posted:

and Windows 10 just had a vulnerability anouncement from the NSA; it is THAT bad (SSL certificates can be 'faked' removing the circle of trust, CVE 2020-0601).

On that note, as far as I know, Chrome uses Windows' certificate store and crypto API to verify certificates, while Firefox uses Mozilla's own certificate store and certificate API/library. This should mean that Firefox users are not impacted by Windows crypto API vulnerabilities, as long as they stay within Firefox. (On the other hand, downloaded files where something else would be verifying a signature could still be vulnerable, even if the file was downloaded with Firefox.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

orcane posted:

It's just a reminder to turn off start menu suggestions/ads :colbert:

Why would anyone leave that enabled.

That's the advertisement tiles setting. Turn it off and remove all tiles, you won't get any new added.
I turned this off when I first installed Windows 10, several years ago. It has never been flipped back on me, and I have never seen any tiles I didn't add myself in the Start menu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Has anyone talked about which supposed usability issue this change was supposed to resolve?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've decided I can mostly live with the ugly growing for now, hoping that part will get changed. I'll stick with the non-XUL urlbar if that's going to be the future anyway. But I'm still disabling all the other dumb settings, especially browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus, browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips, and browser.urlbar.update1.view.stripHttps. Also browser.urlbar.update1.interventions but I have no idea what that's supposed to do, does anyone know?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That sounds horrible.
URL bar for URLs, search box for invoking search engine. I'm also fine with using the URL bar for keyword searching, but then I'll be typing my keyword there.

keyword.enabled = false
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled = false
browser.urlbar.autoFill = false

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah that's a stupid design everywhere in Firefox. You can't add a site to a list (as exception or whatever) ahead of time, only way is to visit it and then find where the option to add it is buried, and maybe you need to activate something so the site requests the permission, before you're allowed to add it.
The Multi-account Containers extension has the same issue: I can't define a container and then a list of URLs to apply it to, I have to jump through hoops to put a site into a container. There isn't even an "open in a new container" thing for links.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

But also, Firefox is bad because of its terrible rendering engine.

[Citation needed]

Are you sure whatever you're complaining of isn't just a case of Google just managing to redefine "correct" to be whatever Chrome does?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The new version of Firefox seems to have switched the position of "Copy link" and "Copy to Pocket" in the right-click menu, and I kept clicking the "Copy to Pocket" one out of habit.

Discovered there's an about-config setting called extensions.pocket.enabled that removes all the Pocket poo poo from the UI!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One more thing:

To remove the Sync and Accounts login poo poo that I'm never going to click on purpose, switch this to false:
identity.fxaccounts.enabled

Needs a browser restart to get rid of all menu items etc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

options in about :config should never gently caress things up, they're official parts of the program.

and the reason to do it with about :config is because it removes stuff in menus as well. (and in business settings etc sync accounts are potentially a security risk.)

Yeah if you don't disable that option there will forever be a "Hey! Click this big screaming orange button to log in!!!!" item at the top of the hamburger menu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just consider potential compliance issues if you're using the browser for work and download-opening various files with sensitive content. If you aren't aware that they suddenly start littering your Downloads folder but thought they were in a temp folder that got cleaned automatically, you've now got a pile of data on your machine you might not be allowed to store.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have Firefox to open previous tabs/windows on start, and that remembers the window positions including which monitor the windows were on.
The trick is just that you can't quit Firefox by closing the windows then, you need to open the hamburger menu and select Quit. (The hotkey Ctrl+Shift+Q should also work.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geemer posted:

It's doubly weird because the notification has a checkbox right in itself to disable the warning.
So, if you hate it, you'd have to only see it once, instead of diving into the options screen.

Maybe they were running low on their bad idea quota.

People sadly tend to miss those kinds of options in their rage to get rid of the pop-up that interrupted them. Seriously.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm having the same issue too. Windows 10, Firefox 95.
The problem goes away if I use a fresh Firefox profile, but when I tried copying some of my data from the original profile to the new/test profile, it occurred again. Currently trying to figure out what file exactly causes it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, the profile I had created worked at first. Then I exited, tried my original profile for changing the http3 setting one suggested in the Reddit thread, but it didn't help anything. Then went back to the test profile, with no changes, and now that one's also dead.

When I exit a Firefox that has the issue, it lingers for a minute still spending CPU time, and eventually produces a crash report.

Edit: Disabling the Telemetry settings fixed it immediately, didn't even need to restart the browser before things started loading again.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 13, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I re-enabled HTTP3 and it keeps working. It's the telemetry servers that cause it to break.

Which means that a third party server could possibly also trigger the same bug in Firefox, just by having the user visit a specific URL.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm curious, how do you accidentally launch firefox?

By the description: Pinned to the taskbar as 2nd item, then Win+2 will launch that. So if the Remote Desktop window has focus then it'll forward that hotkey to the remote machine instead of doing it locally.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try one of these about:config settings:

browser.search.suggest.enabled
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
browser.urlbar.showSearchSuggestionsFirst
browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also try making the search box separate from the URL bar, I think that might affect it too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's more likely that someone on YouTube hosed up and pushed some debugging code to production.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

isndl posted:

For me, the URL bar is for URLs. If I'm typing up there it's because I know where I want to go, and I don't want to end up on a search page with random garbage in my search history because I made a typo.

Check my post history in this thread, a while back I posted some settings that force exactly that behavior.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Argue posted:

Anyone know how to make it so that Firefox's search shortcuts only activate after I press tab? eg: If I type "you suck", I want to search Google for the phrase "you suck", but if I type "you <tab> suck", I want to search Youtube for "suck". But right now, the word "you" will always do a Youtube search, while pressing tab seems to search through my open tabs.

I use split address bar and search box, and my search box searches the engine chosen, while in the address bar I can type a keyword (like yt for YouTube, wp for Wikipedia, and others I've set up), press space, and then type my search query for that site.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

unruly posted:

Does your device have a touch screen? Seems to me that it appears (more reliably) if your device has one or the underlying OS believes it does.

Sometimes a drawing tablet can also end up counting as a touch screen, even.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm looking at that code and I have no idea what half of it does, JS has changed so much since I learnt the basics nearly 20 years ago. I'll ask this because google is no help here at all, what's with the 3 periods on document (...document)?

That's spread syntax. Inside an array literal (the [ ] with an expression inside) a spread will implicitly loop over all elements in the iterable object and insert them in the array literal at that position.
There is also a spread syntax for object literals, that lets you fill in all properties from another object.

In this case, you should read the spread as a spread of the result of the document.getElementsByTagName() function call, so it creates an array of all the DOM elements found by that tag name query.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The final 500 is the delay until the fixing code runs, 500 milliseconds = half a second after the page has loaded.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maigius posted:

I'm on a new profile in Window 11 and really want thick, permanent scrollbars back. What settings to I need to change to get those back?

Those pop-in scrollbars are the bane of my web UIs at work, whenever I hover over a list the scrollbar pops in and displaces everything inside the list, causing a big visual jump.
They could at the very least have made them overlay instead of pop-in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

At least try clearing you cookies and cache first, maybe it's running old code.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because that one person in that image apparently has five billion twee loving videos on living in Germany and I just can't loving stand her. I don't mind scrolling the shorts for random bits of entertainment, but youtube decided "if you watch it, you must want more of it!" which doesn't really make sense for random videos which load and play without any action on my part.

Blocking her via Youtube's regular method does nothing because she's apparently being promoted or something, so her videos always come back.

I want her gone.

Best bet it to scour your Watch History and remove every video you don't want to see more of from it.

If you click your user icon in the top right, pick "Your data in YouTube" and scroll down a bit, you'll find "YouTube watch history: On". You can click that to disable tracking your watch history. Supposedly, things that don't get recorded in your watch history then won't affect your recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

god willing enough of the people on the bad side of the A/B test will decrease overall usage enough that they say gently caress it and return to the status quo

"It works! We're no longer serving up bandwidth and processing power to the freeloaders. Now the ad impressions per video view is skyrocketing, advertisers also pay more for each impression too!"